Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities you'd never return to

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

I think Liverpool is nice if you think its a kip now you should have seen it in the 80's and 90's

So true- was there in 1991 and went down to Albert dock- every lad we saw had a ' calm down, calm down' perm and a shiny tracksuit-i was convinced I was going to be mugged at every turn.
    Went back a couple of years ago and gotta say I like the place now- some amazing new buildings complimenting the old merchant areas, running into L1. Its a shame we don't have anything similar in dublin when you see all the empty acres along the docks

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Think about what you just wrote......i.e. every place you liked about LA was actually indoors.
    Lots of interesting places are indoors. Muesums and theatres for example.

I'm not saying that everyone should visit LA, just that it surpassed my (admittedly low) expectations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

I think Liverpool is nice if you think its a kip now you should have seen it in the 80's and 90's

I'd rate Liverpool far higher than Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle. Not exactly difficult competition, but Liverpool is a grand spot to spend a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I'd rate Liverpool far higher than Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle. Not exactly difficult competition, but Liverpool is a grand spot to spend a few days.

Liverpool is a nice town these days, but Newcastle is also very nice. I think Newcastle probably shades it!

I find Galway to be very overrated. It lovely in terms of visiting during the day and stuff but going out is a nightmare! It's full of messy feckers and the bouncers are arseholes!

LA is a kip for the most part and the people aren't nice in general. Had to work there for a few weeks. Nice restaurants and that but traffic is crazy (Not as bad as Mexico City, but bad!)

I can't say there is any city I've been to where I would hands down not return to ever again. Many of them are enormous with good parts and bad parts.

Although Paris is an almighty dump!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Agree with Paris somewhat.there are parts of the city id love to go back to again..however if you go to some of the areas that arent in the main tourist spots, well they are some kips already.1st went there on a fieldtrip in college the hostel we were put up in..well lets say none of us left it..it was up there with dodge parta of Rio

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Dublin = Hell.

It's quite puzzling how people can survive living in a place like that without going crazy. Dublin life must be very artificial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Tangier Morocco. We were hassled non stop. Really rude and pushy. We didn't want to leave the hotel. Such a departure from Marrakech and Agadir where the people were lovely. We were expecting the worst in Marrakech but we had a nice time. Once you know how to communicate and deal in the souks you won't get hustled. Negotiate down to a fair price and you'll get on grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Grueller

Miami. Dirty over rated hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Lirange wrote: »
    Tangier Morocco. We were hassled non stop. Really rude and pushy. We didn't want to leave the hotel. Such a departure from Marrakech and Agadir where the people were lovely.

Not sure if I commented on it earlier in this thread, but this place is absolutely horrible. The locals were so aggressive and unfriendly. At one stage, myself and my friend's stopped for a tea and sat outside a cafe. The female in the group was obviously not welcome there as a young guy just kept shouting in our direction and pointed at her. Eventually, the owner came over to us and told us (in English) to ignore him and that we were very welcome to his cafe and Tangiers, but it was quite intimidating all the same.

Istanbul...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

NoDrama wrote: »
    Istanbul...

Did you have an altercation with a street trader?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Dublin = Hell.

It's quite puzzling how people can survive living in a place like that without going crazy. Dublin life must be very artificial.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Can't understand all the Prague hate, I loved it, but I do agree locals aren't too friendly.

I walked into a bar with a Finn Harps top on and Sparta Prague where playing - they really scrutinised the jersey.

Also, on the first night there I spent all the money I had taken out with me, no idea where I was going, drunk outta my head and stumbled across a park I remembered seeing when we arrived. Only hassle I had was an Indian man trying to sell me a Nokia 3310.

Great city.

I can understand the Barcelona hate though, full of African hookers, overpriced nightclubs and people trying to get you into the bars etc.
    The only reasons I'd go back would be 1) another Barcelona game 2) to stay at the hostel we stayed in and 3) to actually do something touristy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Rome

I asked my Fiance and she said Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭worded

Court Town Nice snack box from local chipper but way too many stones on the beach for my liking, even for a stoney beach .

Having read the lonely planet guide to the place I was disappointed but that was my fault as I reading about Cape Town not court town.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Ignore,duplicate.

Ignore, duplicate.

ROME.

I absolutely hated it. Could not wait to get home. Every day, just incessant traffic and horns beeping and mopeds everywhere. (I know people will say, wait till you see Bangkok etc) Every taxi driver trying to do ya. People just seem full of **** and they just constantly talk in what always sounds like an argumentative tone.
    And I know tourists flock to see the attractions, but every tourist place we went to was uncomfortably packed. We were there for a wedding and I visited other people's different hotels and they were all very over priced, old fashioned kips.......like our own. Not one half modern looking hotel in all the ones I seen.

Just hated it.

Sorry. Didn't mean to post same thing 3 times.

Boards is all messed up and gave me a 404 error when I tried to post each but obviously was not an error so attempted again each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Frankfurt....most boring city ever and stupid Ryanair flight drops you about 2 hours away!
    Caracas....all that needs saying really is I was terrified the whole time most scarey place ever
    Surprised by the Naples hatred....I loved it in a it has no notions about itself way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Surprised by the Naples hatred....I loved it in a it has no notions about itself way

I guess that's the polite way of describing a rubbish tip :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I guess that's the polite way of describing a rubbish tip :rolleyes:

No it's the polite way of saying Rome etc is very up its own arse! Naples us beautiful and the food is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

jacksie66 wrote: »
    ....or Invercargill

Well, Invercargill certainly isn't fancy or cosmopolitan, but I found the people there to be down to earth and friendly:) I made some lovely friends there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Naples. Filthy dirty with rubbish everywhere, people trying to sell you dodgy things on every street corner and the traffic drives as if none of them have ever passed a driving test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭QuinDixie

warsaw, pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Canberra or Invercargill

Was only there for a few hours but I liked Invercargill. Probably wouldn't return as I think it is literally the furthest town from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

worded wrote: »
    Court Town Nice snack box from local chipper but way too many stones on the beach for my liking, even for a stoney beach .

Having read the lonely planet guide to the place I was disappointed but that was my fault as I reading about Cape Town not court town.
    Should have gone to Courtown then.
    You may have liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wexford96

Cork.
    San Francisco.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

Irish cities are grand, great people, generally same as cities in UK.

Go to places like Tunis, Brussels and it's a different level. Tunis is a dangerous/horrible place and Brussels is a kip. Honorable mention for downtown LA- never seen so many junkies.

Advertisement