Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭alwayshungry

Rj408 wrote: »
    :D

It should do the GCSE is higher than the EDCL you are required to have, and A levels are higher than GCSE. The questions is do the recruitment company formally recognize AS levels, which is essentially half an A level.

[Edit - typo]

it will an AS level is a stand alone qualification also and combined with an A2 it makes up one full a level

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭crinkley

I remember reading on the recruitment thread last year a book someone recommended from amazon. Anyone know or got any suggestions, its for help in passing the intital tests. There are ones for the English police force, I assume the PSNI one will be of a similar make up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sgtsnowy

crinkley wrote: »
    I remember reading on the recruitment thread last year a book someone recommended from amazon. Anyone know or got any suggestions, its for help in passing the intital tests. There are ones for the English police force, I assume the PSNI one will be of a similar make up.

There are a few good books not specific for policing but on general verbal reasoning and psychometric tests which are similar to what the ist is all about. But the actual police books are just about how to prepare for the tests and the role of a police officer

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭CDizzle

To pass the IST all you have to do is go over the practice papers that are sent out to you. For multiple choice questions if you don't see the answer straight away start ruling out answers you know are wrong to narrow it down.

CDizzle wrote: »
    To pass the IST all you have to do is go over the practice papers that are sent out to you. For multiple choice questions if you don't see the answer straight away start ruling out answers you know are wrong to narrow it down.

Not overly worried about the verbal reasoning and numerical testing, done loads already for the civil service, more the mock interview, role playing etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭CDizzle

i was the same about my assessment centre but coped with it pretty well apart from one section which massively affected my mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Actually a bit nervous about the IST as it takes no prisoners and shows no mercy :(

It has knocked out better folk than me. Just have to get in the right mindset.

One trick for passing IST is circle all the correct answers in the time given ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Homer01 wrote: »
    Actually a bit nervous about the IST as it takes no prisoners and shows no mercy :(

It has knocked out better folk than me. Just have to get in the right mindset.

One trick for passing IST is circle all the correct answers in the time given ;)

Me too homer.. I missed IST pass score by 1 mark last time

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Elorfanato

Rj408 wrote: »

The questions is do the recruitment company formally recognize AS levels, which is essentially half an A level.

I had a D in AS level ICT and they told me that counted as a pass.

Elorfanato wrote: »
    I had a D in AS level ICT and they told me that counted as a pass.

Think they will.be wanting c and above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Elorfanato

Think they will.be wanting c and above

Well they accepted it in the previous campaign. This is all irrelevant anyway as there is no need to prove your ICT qualification in this campaign. It was announced yesterday that it would be tested throughout the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sweet chuck

In A level and AS level a D is a pass.

If they accept it then that's brilliant, just going on what I was told by others at 2013 campaign... I got my ecdl in three days and a few people at the AC were turned away... A know someone who forgot their ID and he was sent home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

'D' at AS or A2 is a pass, so it met the requirements in campaign 1. No one with an ICT pass at A level would have been turned away.

It's irrelevant now anyway given there's no longer a need for an actual ICT qualification to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

also heard theres a massive clamp down on tattoos - anyone know any truth to this?

Probably not true beyond what is outlined in their policy on tattoos.

Edit: taken from psni website

"A tattoo or tattoos, which would be visible when you are dressed in uniform (including short sleeve shirt order) and are considered to be:

obscene; or
    sectarian; or
    offensive; or
    of disproportionate size in overall area; or
    likely to give rise to the impression that a member might not impartially discharge his/her duty."

I think the disproportionate size one could catch a lot of people out (sleeve etc) but i would say very few people would have tattoos falling in the other categories really.

Timetravel wrote: »
    Edit: taken from psni website

"A tattoo or tattoos, which would be visible when you are dressed in uniform (including short sleeve shirt order) and are considered to be:

obscene; or
    sectarian; or
    offensive; or
    of disproportionate size in overall area; or
    likely to give rise to the impression that a member might not impartially discharge his/her duty."

I think the disproportionate size one could catch a lot of people out (sleeve etc) but i would say very few people would have tattoos falling in the other categories really.

I'm just a bit confused as I'm hearing different stuff from different people. Just wondered as a friend has a tattoo on upper arm that peeks through a short sleeve shirt and army accepted him but was told that psni might be more strict. It's just a tribal

Boy at my PCA had a full sleeve. Id say it should be ok as long as its not obscene.

Boy at my PCA had a full sleeve. Id say it should be ok as long as its not obscene.

Have you guys had your medical yet? That's when it's checked if it falls into guidelines

Have you guys had your medical yet? That's when it's checked if it falls into guidelines

I have mine next week. Ive a few, but none you can see in a t shirt and they are not obscene or anything (should be grand, hopefully)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭KT0903

Heard a rumour that starting salary for new recruits in the 2014/15 campaign is to decrease to around the £19,000 mark (I don't know the exact figure) Anyone heard similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

KT0903 wrote: »
    Heard a rumour that starting salary for new recruits in the 2014/15 campaign is to decrease to around the £19,000 mark (I don't know the exact figure) Anyone heard similar?

That was a Winsor report recommendation, dont think it has been implemented in Northern Ireland or Scotland to the best of my knowledge.

KT0903 wrote: »

Just out of an info session, they stated the starting salary will be 23.5k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Rj408

It does say here to 'We strongly encourage all candidates to attempt the practice IST on the Guidance for Applicants.' and I have searched and cannot find this practice exam... am I stupid or can anyone else not find it?

https://www.joinpsni.co.uk/application-process

If anyone could point me towards this practice it would be great!

I just think it's not there. Maybe they'll have a new one for the 2014 campaign?

On another note I also looked at the guidance for applicants and it gives IST dates as July-August and I'm off on holiday during that time. I'm guessing there will be others in the same boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

crinkley wrote: »
    Just out of an info session, they stated the starting salary will be 23.5k

Was there any mention of overtime, specifically how much overtime would be typically available ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

popolive wrote: »
    Was there any mention of overtime, specifically how much overtime would be typically available ?

I highly recommend reading through the other threads; loads of information including what you are asking :)

If nothing else it'll keeping you busy during the months of waiting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

popolive wrote: »

Pretty much echo what Homer said if you can read through past threads and posts will prob answers any questions you have and will be a huge help! Overtime usually depends on where you are based. Some stations will have loads others not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Rj408

Unless your actually in the PSNI I would not worry about overtime, you need to get in first!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

I think he was just taking the micky given the fact that people were asking such silly Q's at the sessions ! :D

Advertisement