Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Choobs wrote: »
    Hello physical specimen.

Nothing you've said would be an issue. You've expressed interest at a good time as it seems a new recruitment drive will begin soon (overlapping with the end of the previous campaign). Keep an eye on the PSNI site and their social media pages and you'll find out as soon as new applications are being accepted.

Thanks mate. I would be very happy to have an opportunity. In the meantime I will try to find out everything I can do to improve my chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sweet chuck

Timetravel wrote: »
    Did you do the PCA for the current campaign? I didn't get to that stage so I don't really know how tough it is. I don't think it would personally be a problem for me if I got to that stage as I exercise quite a lot. There should be a fitness test during the recruitment process but I just think it is harsh to make applicants do a test when previously people had weeks of PT at GV before doing it. But it's all irrelevant anyway lol

Yeah I passed it ok. Its actually not that bad at all and doesnt require super fitness but just a basic level. With a bit of training there would be no problem passing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

I heard a date today, 28th May!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Goonerdee wrote: »
    I heard a date today, 28th May!

What's that for Gooner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Yeah I passed it ok. Its actually not that bad at all and doesnt require super fitness but just a basic level. With a bit of training there would be no problem passing it.

Oh ok. I can understand what your saying now then.

• Advertisement

Homer01 wrote: »
    What's that for Gooner?

Fresh recruiting campaign.

10341841_10152415574291649_6786341824497251488_n.jpg

Anyone near any of the sessions and free next week to tag along and find out some info for us remaining B groupies ? :D

Worked it out after I checked the poster again lol

I'm going to Monday's session :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

Good luck guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 B999B

Hi peeps, don't know if anyone will know the answer for sure but here goes. So, I applied at the last recruitment, passed the AC and got the email to say I'd got it while a few other got the "results next month" email so I was naturally delighted. Had my PCA date and vetting forms filled out. But before I'd sent it off, due to a number of reasons I had to voluntarily withdraw myself from the process (honestly one of the hardest emails I've ever written). Well, my circumstances have changed and I want another shot at it. Does anyone know if I have to do the entire process all over again or would it be possible to "transfer" my previous AC score (79%) to the current campaign? Bit of a long-shot, I know. Wishful thinking.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

B999B wrote: »
    Hi peeps, don't know if anyone will know the answer for sure but here goes. So, I applied at the last recruitment, passed the AC and got the email to say I'd got it while a few other got the "results next month" email so I was naturally delighted. Had my PCA date and vetting forms filled out. But before I'd sent it off, due to a number of reasons I had to voluntarily withdraw myself from the process (honestly one of the hardest emails I've ever written). Well, my circumstances have changed and I want another shot at it. Does anyone know if I have to do the entire process all over again or would it be possible to "transfer" my previous AC score (79%) to the current campaign? Bit of a long-shot, I know. Wishful thinking.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Think you're probably back to square 1. Email them again, explain and chance your arm. You never know!

• Advertisement

Thanks for the information. From start to acceptance or rejection, how long would it roughly take ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭student15

popolive wrote: »
    Thanks for the information. From start to acceptance or rejection, how long would it roughly take ?

Rejection depends on failed stages
    If you pass successfully Etc the turn over time for this campaign has been 8 or so months from application to the first squad in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 B999B

Dekkers wrote: »
    Think you're probably back to square 1. Email them again, explain and chance your arm. You never know!

Thought so too, suppose I'll email them anyway. Worth a shot. Thanks

I am jumping ahead of myself here but it has to be asked so may as well ask now. Is there any choice about whether to pay income tax in the Republic or in the UK ? Which one would be better ? Any views ?

I am going on holiday shortly after I the proposed application closing date, wondering would it be best to leave filling out the form as late as possible ir risk it and fill it in straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 thirdtime

I am jumping ahead of myself here but it has to be asked so may as well ask now. Is there any choice about whether to pay income tax in the Republic or in the UK ? Which one would be better ? Any views ?

Is this a serious question?
    How can one pay Republic of Ireland income tax if one is living in the UK and paid by the UK govt??

I am going on holiday shortly after I the proposed application closing date, wondering would it be best to leave filling out the form as late as possible ir risk it and fill it in straight away!

Makes no difference. Is it that hard to find a computer with internet on holiday??

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

thirdtime wrote: »
    Makes no difference. Is it that hard to find a computer with internet on holiday??

Not really something you would apply for using a public computer on holiday. For security reasons wouldn't recommend it.

Don't really think it makes much difference when you fill it out really comes down to where your IST test area is and then dates for that. If that's what you're worried about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

If it's the IST date you're worried about personally I would leave submitting the application as late as possible.

• Advertisement

Is this a serious question?
    How can one pay Republic of Ireland income tax if one is living in the UK and paid by the UK govt??

I'm afraid it was a serious question. In my defense I did qualify my question with an ''if possible'' (commuting discreetly in plain clothes across borders which cops do in Belgium and Holland all the time without having to hide their uniforms) because if I was to be working there then at least initially I would have no idea where to live. Kicking off a career in law enforcement with tax evasion would be completely surreal and disappointing wouldnt it ? Tax is a funny thing but there are double taxation treaties. Is it impossible to be resident in one and commuting to work in another ?

I'm afraid it was a serious question. In my defense I did qualify my question with an ''if possible'' (commuting discreetly in plain clothes across borders which cops do in Belgium and Holland all the time without having to hide their uniforms) because if I was to be working there then at least initially I would have no idea where to live. Kicking off a career in law enforcement with tax evasion would be completely surreal and disappointing wouldnt it ? Tax is a funny thing but there are double taxation treaties. Is it impossible to be resident in one and commuting to work in another ?

I'll stick my neck out and say no it is not possible.

I would imagine commuting would also not work; this is neither Holland nor Belgium. Think of security issues plus what to do with PPW. Plus it would be a costly business and just because you 'have no idea where to live.'

You should still ask and let us know the answer ;):D

I applied several days before last closing date and got IST date on second day. I was in Belfast with no restrictions on time etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

I applied within the first few days of the previous campaign opening and got a pretty late IST date. I know of two people who applied near to the end of the deadline and received one of the first IST dates - all roughly same location.

No idea how they work it out or if it's just random.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Joe_Bloggsy

Glad to be getting another go so soon. Altho I failed AC I still continued to follow progress of the present campaign and hope that any1 still in that pool get the chance to progress this time around.

Happy to be in the game again, looking no further than IST. Bring on 28th May so I can get application in.

Not really something you would apply for using a public computer on holiday. For security reasons wouldn't recommend it.

Emmm.... Does one's own laptop not work overseas?

Yep the British govt are going allowing you work for them and pay Irish tax.
    The fact that you actually askedthis question shows you're lack of cop-on.
    For asking that question alone you really shouldn't be In a police force

Emmm.... Does one's own laptop not work overseas?

One may not be taking their own laptop so my answer was based on that. You wouldn't use a public computer for security reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Minty08

Hello all! Its great to get another crack of the whip! Second time lucky???? Fingers crossed for all!!!

• Advertisement

Yep the British govt are going allowing you work for them and pay Irish tax.

I saw a debate on another thread which was a few years old and people were taking the question seriously so I wanted to sort it out conclusively. Internationally agreed taxation treaties do govern how someone can be taxed especially if in the first year of employment someone spent more days in one country than another.

The fact that you actually askedthis question shows you're lack of cop-on.
    For asking that question alone you really shouldn't be In a police force

Yes indeed, why need Police at all when there are fine upstanding people like yourself who are willing to enforce pre-judgements without a proper trial, without knowing anything about the individual concerned. I think Deloitte should be informed ASAP of your amazing skills so that they can scrap the existing programme and just put you in charge. Then we can reject all potential Police candidates who don't pass your stringent exam concerning international taxation treaties. Or just maybe your vision needs correction yourself. I won't judge you as harshly mate. Judging you is not my job.
    I hope for your own sake that this is a wind up. I have years of experience at trolling myself so to be honest I laughed before I wrote this. Thank you Sir for that. If people don't know something they ask. Simples.

Advertisement