Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Dekkers

The people from this campaign that were not fit enough or didnt have the right ICT etc will do this time. I think this campaign may be slightly tougher.

I have a sneaky feeling ICT criteria will be shelved this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Dekkers wrote: »
    I have a sneaky feeling ICT criteria will be shelved this time around.

Hope you're right dekkers I have AS level ICT so I don't know whether that would meet it or not?

Timetravel wrote: »
    Hope you're right dekkers I have AS level ICT so I don't know whether that would meet it or not?

Think it would actually. If GCSE is ok surely AS trumps that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Rj408

:D

It should do the GCSE is higher than the EDCL you are required to have, and A levels are higher than GCSE. The questions is do the recruitment company formally recognize AS levels, which is essentially half an A level.

[Edit - typo]

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭CDizzle

Is there anywhere us people without facebook can see the information posted on there? Nothing on the PSNI website yet.

• Advertisement

Rj408 wrote: »
    :D

It should do you the GCSE is higher than the EDCL you are required to have, and A levels are higher than GCSE. The questions is do the recruitment company formally recognize AS levels, which is essentially half an A level.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking.. If they keep the ECDL requirement then I'd consider doing it this time to be on the safe side!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭oztop1234

I don't have facebook. Someone has pasted a link into this thread I think. Just click on it. Takes you through to it

CDizzle wrote: »
    Is there anywhere us people without facebook can see the information posted on there? Nothing on the PSNI website yet.

They've only posted the same photo that appears in this thread about the info days!

CDizzle wrote: »

https://www.facebook.com/PoliceServiceNI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Could the IST include a practical IT element?

No idea how that would work though. They need to have some way of ensuring an applicant knows the difference between an iPad and an eye pad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

If I could see them removing anything, it would perhaps be the PCA.

As far as I'm aware, the ICT requirement is to ensure people know how to navigate online learning and then the big push on using ICT whilst at GV e.g. the requirement to bring a laptop or tablet device.

In order to avoid the ICT issues this time round, I'd hope they set out that candidates require an ICT certificate dated prior to their application. It'd take some time at registration, but checking GCSE and ICT certs at the IST sessions will ensure no one chances their arm this campaign.

I was thinking they will probably keep the ICT requirement but will probably make it a lot clearer as to what is accepted and what isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sweet chuck

They should 100% keep the PCA.

Agreed 100%.

It was taken out years ago because it was said to be affecting women getting in. My opinion is it needs to be part of the application process.

To be honest I think it the old setup of IST, AC then medical etc. was a better format. I know people will say they have to set high standards to bring the numbers down but I think it's a bit harsh to move a test which used to be set after 20 odd weeks training in GV to during the application process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Rj408

I too feel some sort of physical fitness should be a requirement to getting in, and should be tested on an annual basis. To be frankly honest the amount of police officers I see who look like they could not run the length of themselves is a joke.

However that is the least of my worries, very confident I will pass it if I get to that stage, lots of hurdles to jump to get there so keep focused on whats first up people!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ZeGerman

Great to see another chance to have a crack at this again, third times a charm I hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pjw1326

gonna take a good go at this..hope it goes well. Does anyone know if there are any tests similar to the IST available to practice to try and get the old brain cells fired up? :)

pjw1326 wrote: »
    gonna take a good go at this..hope it goes well. Does anyone know if there are any tests similar to the IST available to practice to try and get the old brain cells fired up? :)

Have a look at the practice test on the joinpsni website - very short and a little easier than the one on the day in my opinion, but still gives an idea of what to expect. Other than that, google will throw up some free verbal and numerical reasoning tests.

Time is the biggest battle in the IST, so practice under tight time conditions if you want to mimic the experience you'll find on the day of the IST.

Thanks! I'll check that out!
    Are the questions something similar in terms of difficulty / time allowed do you know??

• Advertisement

pjw1326 wrote: »
    Thanks! I'll check that out!
    Are the questions something similar in terms of difficulty / time allowed do you know??

I'm not sure if we're allowed to discuss specifics of tests. In any event, I can't even remember the exact times.

The types of questions in the practice test are exactly the same, but maybe somewhat easier than you'll find on the day. At least that was my experience of the IST. The timescale is very tight for each section.

Thanks! :)
    Was kind of worried that I would look at these and get deluded and tell myself that it can't be that bad..and then get hit with impossible tests :) but thanks again for your help :)

Not a problem.

Good luck for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pikachu1

Newbie here... failed in last intake due to pca... was part of 1st group going through after IST so to come slamming to a halt at pca was a huge shock! Push/pull let me down. New recruitment has also come as a shock, have read the thread, does anyone know if pca is part of application process this time? Obviously going to apply again :) thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭DesertCreat_15

We'll see next week, though i highly doubt there will be any more or less stages/requirements than the current campaign :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭sweet chuck

To be honest I think it the old setup of IST, AC then medical etc. was a better format. I know people will say they have to set high standards to bring the numbers down but I think it's a bit harsh to move a test which used to be set after 20 odd weeks training in GV to during the application process.

This may sound a bit harsh but everyone knows there is a fitness aspect now. Plenty of time to get fit. I dont think there can be any excuses, especially for this next campaign.

This may sound a bit harsh but everyone knows there is a fitness aspect now. Plenty of time to get fit. I dont think there can be any excuses, especially for this next campaign.

Did you do the PCA for the current campaign? I didn't get to that stage so I don't really know how tough it is. I don't think it would personally be a problem for me if I got to that stage as I exercise quite a lot. There should be a fitness test during the recruitment process but I just think it is harsh to make applicants do a test when previously people had weeks of PT at GV before doing it. But it's all irrelevant anyway lol

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Choobs

Did you do the PCA for the current campaign? I didn't get to that stage so I don't really know how tough it is. I don't think it would personally be a problem for me if I got to that stage as I exercise quite a lot. There should be a fitness test during the recruitment process but I just think it is harsh to make applicants do a test when previously people had weeks of PT at GV before doing it. But it's all irrelevant anyway lol

In my opinion it's better to do a test of this nature which will weed out people before being offered a place rather than quitting a job and doing several weeks in hotel g'ville to then be kicked out when you fail the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭popolive

Hello there ;-)

What would be the current situation for somebody from the Republic who has an interest in joining the PSNI yet has only just started to act about it now ?

I have a degree and am towards the top end of physical fitness with absolutely perfect vision and perfect health,no background issues etc... Catholic only on paper like most of us. A lot of the information I have seen about recruitment seems to be out of date. I have had the feeling that this is the type of career I can be very happy with and would hence like to establish a career before it's too late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Choobs

popolive wrote: »
    Hello there ;-)

What would be the current situation for somebody from the Republic who has an interest in joining the PSNI yet has only just started to act about it now ?

I have a degree and am towards the top end of physical fitness with absolutely perfect vision and perfect health,no background issues etc... Catholic only on paper like most of us. A lot of the information I have seen about recruitment seems to be out of date. I have had the feeling that this is the type of career I can be very happy with and would hence like to establish a career before it's too late.

Hello physical specimen.

Nothing you've said would be an issue. You've expressed interest at a good time as it seems a new recruitment drive will begin soon (overlapping with the end of the previous campaign). Keep an eye on the PSNI site and their social media pages and you'll find out as soon as new applications are being accepted.

Advertisement