Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Recruitment!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭crinkley

Rj408 wrote: »
    It does say here to 'We strongly encourage all candidates to attempt the practice IST on the Guidance for Applicants.' and I have searched and cannot find this practice exam... am I stupid or can anyone else not find it?

https://www.joinpsni.co.uk/application-process

If anyone could point me towards this practice it would be great!

At the info session yesterday they said there were no past papers available and they wouldn't be issuing any, but there were plenty of other available resources online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Homer01

Do we need to be able to swim?

Better find those swimming certs :D

Homer01 wrote: »
    Do we need to be able to swim?

Better find those swimming certs :D

I asked as I was worried I didn't have the certs but they said they would accept the badges that mum sewed on to my swimming costume

You will be able to find a practice test for the IST on www.joinpsni.co.uk.

Perhaps practice tests will appear on the 28th.

crinkley wrote: »
    I asked as I was worried I didn't have the certs but they said they would accept the badges that mum sewed on to my swimming costume

Phew; mine are still on my trunks. Bit tight now though :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 sgtsnowy

Its getting tense already! Cannot wait to start all this again. Does anyone know if it's going to be exactly the same process as 2013? Or will they bring in something different I.e a scenarios test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Sthm

At the info session yesterday they said there were no past papers available and they wouldn't be issuing any, but there were plenty of other available resources online

You may have been at the same session as myself - someone asked that during the one I attended.

As someone who attended one of the familiarisation sessions for campaign one, I have to say the session this time round was far more informative. No PCA set up but you get to take away a DVD or USB stick with an up-to-date video of one lap and the push/pull.

Sthm wrote: »
    You may have been at the same session as myself - someone asked that during the one I attended.

As someone who attended one of the familiarisation sessions for campaign one, I have to say the session this time round was far more informative. No PCA set up but you get to take away a DVD or USB stick with an up-to-date video of one lap and the push/pull.

Found it way better than last time as well, to be fair last time I was just super concerned about the IT requirement and what they would accept. They certainly took on feedback. Can't wait to get stuck in now!

Yeah, definitely looking forward to getting stuck into campaign two whilst the wait continues with campaign one.

For anyone who won't attend, I took the following from it:

384 positions
    IST July/August
    AC Sept/Oct/Nov
    Same process bar IT competency being tested at AC (not sure how)
    Big push on advising candidates to train as 'a lot' have failed PCA (~30% fail rate)
    They 'hope' to be able to recruit again next year, but they couldn't guarantee

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sgtsnowy

Yeah, definitely looking forward to getting stuck into campaign two whilst the wait continues with campaign one.

For anyone who won't attend, I took the following from it:

384 positions
    IST July/August
    AC Sept/Oct/Nov
    Same process bar IT competency being tested at AC (not sure how)
    Big push on advising candidates to train as 'a lot' have failed PCA (~30% fail rate)
    They 'hope' to be able to recruit again next year, but they couldn't guarantee

No excuse for people not to be fit now since we have been warned. I'd say the IT will be tested on basic word processing, emailing, Internet browsing and possibly PowerPoint because the courses they offer at PRRT go through all of them. I'm just worried about the IST because it's 50% luck 50% skill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 380 ✭✭vickmackey

KT0903 wrote: »
    Heard a rumour that starting salary for new recruits in the 2014/15 campaign is to decrease to around the £19,000 mark (I don't know the exact figure) Anyone heard similar?
    funny, a chap at my fam.day showed me new paygrades with lower rate, but this isnt reflected on the website, so dont think they can change it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭whatinthe

sgtsnowy wrote: »
    . I'm just worried about the IST because it's 50% luck 50% skill

This is something ppl need to get out of their head. When I applied last year,I wasn't very good at aptitude tests and they were always a concern.

I decided that the only way to get better was to practice, practice and PRACTICE. Granted the IST is different to most tests, the secret to being successful is getting your brain used to complexity under time pressure. Google aptitude tests and you'll get a range of free and subscription based test sites.

If you improve skill through practice, luck no longer needs to come into it. I didn't pass because I was lucky,I passed because I worked on aptitude tests and on my mental preparation. Visualisation is a fantastic tool to have on your belt.

If you want to pass, you will put in hours of prep. If you want to pass, you can. This applies to every stage. I'm starting in Garnerville soon, and luck had nothing to do with it :). So start preparing NOW, not a week before IST.

Good luck everyone!

whatinthe wrote: »
    This is something ppl need to get out of their head. When I applied last year,I wasn't very good at aptitude tests and they were always a concern.

I decided that the only way to get better was to practice, practice and PRACTICE. Granted the IST is different to most tests, the secret to being successful is getting your brain used to complexity under time pressure. Google aptitude tests and you'll get a range of free and subscription based test sites.

If you improve skill through practice, luck no longer needs to come into it. I didn't pass because I was lucky,I passed because I worked on aptitude tests and on my mental preparation. Visualisation is a fantastic tool to have on your belt.

If you want to pass, you will put in hours of prep. If you want to pass, you can. This applies to every stage. I'm starting in Garnerville soon, and luck had nothing to do with it :). So start preparing NOW, not a week before IST.

Good luck everyone!
    I CONCUR!
    i paid for course before each stage -- guy was very good...if anyone wants details, PM me....he only takes 10 people at a time....ex top recruitment guy!...well worth the money for extra hints and tips.... but defo best to practice practice practice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 THFC1882

Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker.

Can anyone who has been to the recent open sessions for the new campaign confirm whether people on the current merit list/waiting for next stages, need to re-apply or not?

Many thanks.

THFC1882 wrote: »
    Hi all,

First time poster, long time lurker.

Can anyone who has been to the recent open sessions for the new campaign confirm whether people on the current merit list/waiting for next stages, need to re-apply or not?

Many thanks.

They were told to reapply for this campaign. Hopefully you'll get through on campaign one though :)

no-one can confirm that they "NEED" to reapply, but seems that they are basically saying it wouldnt do any harm...just incase!!

Much better organised this time around. My session had HR, local Sgt and a Sgt from TSG. Got some good day in the life stuff and the TSG guy spoke of the different areas within TSG.

Think there were more police vehicles in the car park than anyone else lol. Good to see PCA video updated as the old one was clearly edited and didn't give a true reflection of effort. They said the girl in the video is one of the instructors at GV.

Interesting to note the time to complete in now 3 mins 54 secs up from 3 min 43 secs. Fitness levels is clearly something of concern to them.

was the pca time increase not due to the "6ft wall"?? - they had said it wasnt in before, so they had to adjust the time to allow for it.....so really they have only added another 11 seconds overall for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

One week to go until the application process opens. So glad I saved my personal statements the last time. Thanks to those who went to the familiarisation session for the info. I can't get to one so this helps. :)

Homer01 wrote: »
    Much better organised this time around. My session had HR, local Sgt and a Sgt from TSG. Got some good day in the life stuff and the TSG guy spoke of the different areas within TSG.

Think there were more police vehicles in the car park than anyone else lol. Good to see PCA video updated as the old one was clearly edited and didn't give a true reflection of effort. They said the girl in the video is one of the instructors at GV.

Interesting to note the time to complete in now 3 mins 54 secs up from 3 min 43 secs. Fitness levels is clearly something of concern to them.

Sounds like the same bunch at mine - NPT Sergeant and HR.

I was going more for just asking questions relating to Campaign one and ended up being quite impressed with how well run the session was.

• Advertisement

One week to go until the application process opens. So glad I saved my personal statements the last time. Thanks to those who went to the familiarisation session for the info. I can't get to one so this helps. :)

How was the personal statement section worded? Or was it very general as to why you want to join? Wanna get cracking on mine and have it in straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Timetravel

Found mine last night too. was such a relief! I usually keep everything to do with recruitment but I thought I'd binned them. Have a folder with loads in it. Still have the newspaper page from January 2010 with recruitment ad on it lol

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭MissWillow12

How was the personal statement section worded? Or was it very general as to why you want to join? Wanna get cracking on mine and have it in straight away

I cant remember exactly how it was worded didnt write out the questions just the statements. Join PSNI website have them as " to complete two short personal statements outlining your motivation and suitability for the role." Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Rj408

I think the personal statements will be same as last time something like why do you want to join the PSNI and what do you feel you would bring to the role or there about.

Also on the PCA note I have watched the video a few times and there seems to be a ledge in the 6 foot wall, not sure if it was there the last time? The trainer uses it to jump over the wall!

Anyone any good websites or info on where to get stuff to practice for the IST? If they could PM me some info would greatly appreciate it, let me down last time and don't want it happening again, maths being my weak point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

Rj408 wrote: »
    I think the personal statements will be same as last time something like why do you want to join the PSNI and what do you feel you would bring to the role or there about.

Also on the PCA note I have watched the video a few times and there seems to be a ledge in the 6 foot wall, not sure if it was there the last time? The trainer uses it to jump over the wall!

Anyone any good websites or info on where to get stuff to practice for the IST? If they could PM me some info would greatly appreciate it, let me down last time and don't want it happening again, maths being my weak point.

Hi, I did my PCA at the start of April. There's 2 batons about an inch thick that runs the width of the wall., these are approx 3' and 5' from the floor. Once you're over that there's a couple of steps down and then a drop which you have to jump down about the height of your kitchen bench. We had a someone fail as she broke/sprained her ankle at this drop. Just be careful. Aim to do each part cleanly. The guys found the stairs up and down hard as there's a pole across the top of these. It mimics getting in and out of a land rover. If you knock any of the poles off you have to wait for them to reset them but they don't stop the timer. If you're successful at the AC you are asked to a familiarisation day where you can have a go at the circuit and the individual parts including the push pull. The air in the gym was so dry we were all dying by the end of it!! Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Only just found out about this new drive. Best of luck everyone!

Hopefully this is our year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

Mop a top wrote: »
    Hi, I did my PCA at the start of April. There's 2 batons about an inch thick that runs the width of the wall., these are approx 3' and 5' from the floor. Once you're over that there's a couple of steps down and then a drop which you have to jump down about the height of your kitchen bench. We had a someone fail as she broke/sprained her ankle at this drop. Just be careful. Aim to do each part cleanly. The guys found the stairs up and down hard as there's a pole across the top of these. It mimics getting in and out of a land rover. If you knock any of the poles off you have to wait for them to reset them but they don't stop the timer. If you're successful at the AC you are asked to a familiarisation day where you can have a go at the circuit and the individual parts including the push pull. The air in the gym was so dry we were all dying by the end of it!! Hope that helps
    that was the same session as me! Have you done medical yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Mop a top

pcplod wrote: »
    that was the same session as me! Have you done medical yet?

Yeah I have. Start of May. Passed it too thankfully. I seen 1 other girl 2 males from our PCA there. Have you done it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭pcplod

Mop a top wrote: »
    Yeah I have. Start of May. Passed it too thankfully. I seen 1 other girl 2 males from our PCA there. Have you done it yet?

did mine last week, seen 2 fellas there that i recognised! Hope i did mine in time for a possible call for the next intake, heres hoping......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭alwayshungry

What kind of training are people doing for it? I've been training since end of march consistently and at the familiarisation I drilled the wall so I was comfortable with it but I don't know if I'm doing enough -their leaflet gives some idea but it doesn't seem like enough

Advertisement