Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post a picture of your car here Part 4 (quote a picture, get a 24h ban!!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

That's a nice dent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Bangernomics. €420, 170,900 miles, tested in march with 170,400 miles but backdated to last october. main dealer history to 120k, timing belt at 110k (i think these need doing at 60k miles?). the bodywork is a little tattier than advertised and the fan belt is chirping a bit but for the price sure its grand. drives very well and has a CD player too.

20140508_222820.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

Nice one man, they're a nice little car tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Did it come with white dials and an airbag?

I'd really like one for some odd reason. Lots went through the hands of family members.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Did it come with white dials and an airbag?

I'd really like one for some odd reason. Lots went through the hands of family members.

no :( it the older spec with the kind of tartan seats and no rev counter :pac: has rear factory fitted speakers which is remarkable. a months tax on it and all :). no abs, no airbags, no electric windows, no central locking, no problems!

i remember dad had one when they were still relatively new cars, maybe 1999 or so and cooing over what a lovely car it was, so refined etc etc. sitting in one now feels **** :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I remember closing the door on one and nearly taking it off the hinges it was so light .

Any plans for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

no :( it the older spec with the kind of tartan seats and no rev counter :pac: has rear factory fitted speakers which is remarkable. a months tax on it and all :). no abs, no airbags, no electric windows, no central locking, no problems!

i remember dad had one when they were still relatively new cars, maybe 1999 or so and cooing over what a lovely car it was, so refined etc etc. sitting in one now feels **** :P

They have a limiter so no need for a rev counter :p

I couldn't live without ABS. The month of driving the Primera without it was really miserable because I was so conscious about it. Didn't help that I almost rear ended someone one day in the rain. I love the reassurance of having it there! All the other stuff I would actually enjoy. For a while at least! Get yourself a tape player for it now and you'll be in business :pac:

Good luck with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Ded_Zebra wrote: »

I couldn't live without ABS. The month of driving the Primera without it was really miserable

How do you mean you went a month without ABS? Was it broke? Was it expensive to fix? Reason I'm asking is in the wet on certain tarmac especially in housing estates(The type of tarmac they use) the car skids under heavy braking and the brake pedal vibrates really bad and looses grip. To be honest I would stop the car quicker if the abs was not there by pumping the brake pedal myself.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    I remember closing the door on one and nearly taking it off the hinges it was so light .

Any plans for it?

tidy it up :) plug leads and coil, tyres and a fan belt. mostly second hand of course. most importantly going to teach myself how to use a rotary polisher on it :D
    They have a limiter so no need for a rev counter :p

I couldn't live without ABS. The month of driving the Primera without it was really miserable because I was so conscious about it. Didn't help that I almost rear ended someone one day in the rain. I love the reassurance of having it there! All the other stuff I would actually enjoy. For a while at least! Get yourself a tape player for it now and you'll be in business :pac:

Good luck with it :)

ah its been a while since i've went ABS-less. hoping i don't notice it too much. it is a light as **** car, proper ****, shutting the door you think you might dent it. probably dynamat the whole thing during the summer to make it sound more "like a golf" but the chief task is to not spend very much on it.

How do you mean you went a month without ABS? Was it broke? Was it expensive to fix? Reason I'm asking is in the wet on certain tarmac especially in housing estates(The type of tarmac they use) the car skids under heavy braking and the brake pedal vibrates really bad and looses grip. To be honest I would stop the car quicker if the abs was not there by pumping the brake pedal myself.

It had a bad wheel speed sensor. Can't remember the cost off hand but it's in the build thread somewhere.

I've come across people who say that and I just don't believe them. Theoretically ABS doesn't stop the car in the most efficient way as the wheels do lock momentarily and then unlock. The most efficient way to stop is to keep all the wheels turning but just at the point of locking (the point if highest static friction). In real life this is impossible to achieve. The advantage of ABS is that you keep your steering rather than it stops you quicker.

Most people also misuse ABS, Once the ABS kicks in they don't press the pedal any harder, however, it might only be one wheel having an issue and the other 3 are capable of a lot more if the pedal is pressed more. This pressing harder when it starts is a bit counter intuitive and needs to be practiced.

Can I ask what tyres you are using? I assume the situation you are talking about is at very low speeds where I would have thought the ABS should have only been active for a fraction of a second to a second:confused:.

• Advertisement

Can I ask what tyres you are using? I assume the situation you are talking about is at very low speeds where I would have thought the ABS should have only been active for a fraction of a second to a second:confused:.

Cheap chinese tyres on 215/35/18
    But still there is something up with my abs anyway, but I have no idea what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

tidy it up :) plug leads and coil, tyres and a fan belt. mostly second hand of course. most importantly going to teach myself how to use a rotary polisher on it :D

ah its been a while since i've went ABS-less. hoping i don't notice it too much. it is a light as **** car, proper ****, shutting the door you think you might dent it. probably dynamat the whole thing during the summer to make it sound more "like a golf" but the chief task is to not spend very much on it.

Be grand in the dry just find somewhere to practice finding the limit of the braking in the wet. Premium tyres and brakes and you won't miss it.

Cheap chinese tyres on 215/35/18
    But still there is something up with my abs anyway, but I have no idea what it is.

IMO that is down to the tyres. When I got the Levin it had Pirelli P6000 all round. The compound was very hard (as are most chinese tyres due to the expense of softer rubber compounds). The P6000 were fine at high speeds (good pattern for clearing water) but at low speeds there was behavior as you described. There was a strange sensation of the car speeding up when the ABS came on (due to the lower dynamic friction of the wheels when skidding)! Once I changed them this went away completely. I would recommend getting some mid range or good tyres and see the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Bangernomics. €420, 170,900 miles, tested in march with 170,400 miles but backdated to last october. main dealer history to 120k, timing belt at 110k (i think these need doing at 60k miles?). the bodywork is a little tattier than advertised and the fan belt is chirping a bit but for the price sure its grand. drives very well and has a CD player too.

Yes it's due a belt which can be got for small money and labor shouldn't be too much either as they are a pretty easy belt to change. You might need to replace one or two oil seals in the process though if they are leaking, a common occurrence on these at that mileage.

These seals are inside by the timing belt and when they leak the oil usually goes on the belt and degrades it.

all e10s had them in the rear afaik :pac:

IMO that is down to the tyres. When I got the Levin it had Pirelli P6000 all round. The compound was very hard (as are most chinese tyres due to the expense of softer rubber compounds). The P6000 were fine at high speeds (good pattern for clearing water) but at low speeds there was behavior as you described. There was a strange sensation of the car speeding up when the ABS came on (due to the lower dynamic friction of the wheels when skidding)! Once I changed them this went away completely. I would recommend getting some mid range or good tyres and see the difference!

I thought Pirelli were a good brand. I haven't the money to change them. I just drive carefully in the wet.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Yes it's due a belt which can be got for small money and labor shouldn't be too much either as they are a pretty easy belt to change. You might need to replace one or two oil seals in the process though if they are leaking, a common occurrence on these at that mileage.

These seals are inside by the timing belt and when they leak the oil usually goes on the belt and degrades it.

all e10s had them in the rear afaik :pac:

if it's like the 4e in the glanza, the crank shaft oil seals do weaken all right?

**** you and your rear speakers, i thought i had a treat :P ! it'l be laid up a month or two so might risk a timing belt myself, have nothing but time.

I thought Pirelli were a good brand. I haven't the money to change them. I just drive carefully in the wet.

They would be considered one, not my cuppa. Any that I have come across are bad at low speed in the wet. Superb high speed dry grip and feel though. It really depends on what you want from the tyre, where you live and what conditions you drive in :)

I drive in the wet a lot (curse you ireland :pac:) and on a lot of small country roads where even if it is dry you can suddenly come across a wet patch where water is just flowing out of the ground when it has been wet recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

if it's like the 4e in the glanza, the crank shaft oil seals do weaken all right?

**** you and your rear speakers, i thought i had a treat :P ! it'l be laid up a month or two so might risk a timing belt myself, have nothing but time.

Yeah they are pretty much the same setup as the starlet/glanza. You defiantly could tackle it yourself, I won't exactly say it's a diy'er job but it's not the hardest belt to do tbh.

Those rear speakers must of been cutting edge stuff when those cars came out in 92, although I do remember the sunny having them fitted in the rear when the came out in 91 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

6ITy0WG.jpg
    w4HqP8v.png
    4BkSB0c.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Almost looks photo shopped! Is it a new arrival?

• Advertisement

Yes :D gone from mk5 gti to mk6 gti dsg. Loving it so far! Hopefully the novelty doesn't wear off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I don't normally like Golfs, but that is damn nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

You obviously haven't seen many shops so! :P

It's nice to see a car that isn't a bmw for once

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

String wrote: »
    Yes :D gone from mk5 gti to mk6 gti dsg. Loving it so far! Hopefully the novelty doesn't wear off

What's the dsg like?

Moneymaker wrote: »
    What's the dsg like?

I'm really liking it. Where I live there is ALOT of traffic lights and this being my first auto, its so nice to just cruise along using just brake and accelerator. I read that people had issues with the gear changes being all off but for me it has been perfect so far. Manual mode with gear knob is perfect when I want to drive like a manual car but I sometimes find myself looking for the clutch which I will probably get used to it after a while. The paddle shifters will take some getting used to.

You obviously haven't seen many shops so! :P

Sorry so Mr fancy pants :P It looks like it was cut and pasted into the pic!

Arise thread!

One i found while trawling my many photos

9r69nq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Fun for all the family

Hold up there now a second, do I see kerb marks on the things that go round and round? I better not :mad: :pac:

• Advertisement

Fun for all the family

Literally :pac:
    Hold up there now a second, do I see kerb marks on the things that go round and round? I better not :mad: :pac:

Nah tis only brake dust :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement