Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Unless they are very light swirls, you'll need a machine polisher to remove them. A hand polish will help hide them for a while, but permanent removal will most likely need a machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Thanks for the reply Curran, was afraid of that I'd be too scared to go at it myself as I'm only learning the basics.

Totally understandable.

I think you are best looking into the options of hiding the swirls, until you've learnt the basics of how some of the products work. And what would be involved in preparing the car for a machine polish. It isnt rocket science, but learning how to get the most out of the products and techniques, for claying for example, just takes a bit of practice! When you have that down; I guarantee you'll feel a bit more confident to consider using a machine.

Exactly my thoughts Curran:)

Think ill buy a wing or something off the local scrap yard and refine my techniques on that for a start and then move onto my car.
    With regards a machine polisher what should i be looking at when it comes to buying one?

My car is red in colour swirls are only very noticeable at night when i come out the front door and the street lights show it up does my head in knowing there in it though:(

As always what product would you recommend got my first delivery from you on Thursday love the mr pink shampoo:) tried it out on the gf's car

For the machine polisher - starting with a Dual Action polisher is the safest option - go for one with 800W or more power, as the 500w versions are a bit under powered.

50Cal Detailing Cover-Up Filler Glaze is an excellent product for hiding swirls - best applied by machine, but works by hand also - prep the car, by wash, de-tar, de-iron, and clay. Apply it and then some wax or sealant over it to ensure it doesnt just wash out after a few washes! ;)

• Advertisement

Looking at a das 21e if i was to order it what sort of pads accessories should i look to be getting just want to order it in one go and not be realising i need this and that after

Sorry for all the questions hope im not dong your head in:)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Whats the best product to use to clean alloys?
    Anytime I wash my alloys, they are still dirty and its very noticeable. I presume its the brake dust from the brakes as its worse on the front than the back.
    I heard of some iron thingy that you could use, but ive completely forgotten what it was!
    Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Whats the best product to use to clean alloys?
    Anytime I wash my alloys, they are still dirty and its very noticeable. I presume its the brake dust from the brakes as its worse on the front than the back.
    I heard of some iron thingy that you could use, but ive completely forgotten what it was!
    Any recommendations?

Fallout remover. Iron cleanse is good, have heard good things about iron x.
    I'm using wax tec fallout remover that I got ages ago of Curran in a flash sale. Decent but not as good as iron cleanse

Yeah, you need a de-iron / fallout remover.

Bilt Hamber Korrosol or thier Auto Wheel if you want to keep on top of contamination.
    Car Pro IronX
    50Cal DeCon
    Wolf's Deironizer
    Orchard Autocare's Iron Cleanse

Are all products that will do the job! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Curran wrote: »
    Yeah, you need a de-iron / fallout remover.

Bilt Hamber Korrosol or thier Auto Wheel if you want to keep on top of contamination.
    Car Pro IronX
    50Cal DeCon
    Wolf's Deironizer
    Orchard Autocare's Iron Cleanse

Are all products that will do the job! ;)

Would these be available in the likes of Halfords or would I have to buy them online?

Thanks a million for letting me know :)

Ive 4 cars here at home that I clean every weekend so it'll definitely be a hige help as all of them have the dirty alloys :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

When I was running white wheels with dirty, dirty pads I was driven mad with the brake dust.
    I'd have the whole car spotless for a meet, drive 20 minutes to get there and the wheels would be black.

Had enough one day, took them off, car up on stands and spend about 3 hours sealing every inch of them with Autoglym Wheel Seal, after that all I had to do was give them a spray with a hose or a wipe with a damp cloth and they'd be sparkling again.

I'm sure there's better wheel sealant on the market but that stuff'd last about 3 months before I had to reapply.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

crasy dash wrote: »
    Looking at a das 21e if i was to order it what sort of pads accessories should i look to be getting just want to order it in one go and not be realising i need this and that after

Sorry for all the questions hope im not dong your head in:)

Not sure if things have changed since those das 21's came on the scene but I did look at buyinf one but was advised away unless I had a das 6 as well because the pads were too big to get into small areas.
    As I said, I am unsure if smaller pads are available now or not

vectra wrote: »
    Not sure if things have changed since those das 21's came on the scene but I did look at buyinf one but was advised away unless I had a das 6 as well because the pads were too big to get into small areas.
    As I said, I am unsure if smaller pads are available now or not

Thanks for that I wouldn't know me arse from my elbow when it comes to polishing machines.

Any type you would recommend vectra?

Thanks for that I wouldn't know me arse from my elbow when it comes to polishing machines.

Any type you would recommend vectra?

Just wondering.
    What paint will you be using it on?
    ie.
    Car (s) ?

vectra wrote: »
    Just wondering.
    What paint will you be using it on?
    ie.
    Car (s) ?

My car is an a4 2009 mainly Toyota's and peugots for the rest of the family fleet

My car is an a4 2009 mainly Toyota's and peugots for the rest of the family fleet

Not sure about Toyota and Peugot paint but I would say the Audi would be the hardest paint of the group.

I reckon a Das6 pro would be perfect for you.
    That with a selection of pads ( I loved Hex Logic Pads )

Also I found the Wolfs chemicals polishes were excellent.

With the above combos you could rest assured you would turn out stunning results without being worried about making a boo boo.

Any sites from Ireland supplying the das6?
    As it would only get the occasional use I think it would suit me just fine.

Any sites from Ireland supplying the das6?
    As it would only get the occasional use I think it would suit me just fine.

Maybe send Curran a Message and ask has DS any in stock or are they getting some in.

Failing that I think the UK is your second option.
    if Curran cannot help post back ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Hi

Long time lurker here. I've been tidying up my 00 Golf, at first I thought I'd be happy with it just beng very clean and hand polished but the swirls are bothering me so time to buy a DA and get it really sorted. But I'm a noob to machine polishing so, where do I start? I have seen the Dodo juice buff daddy for a decent price, good place to start?

Also anybody else notice the Chemical Guys Pina Colada air freshener actually smells like southern and red?

Thanks for the advice Vectra will pm Curran there in a minute

Just noticed Vectra your from county cork im in North Cork myself

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice Vectra will pm Curran there in a minute

Just noticed Vectra your from county cork im in North Cork myself

North Cork myself LOL

Small county:pac: when i saw your location Buttevant jumped into my head

Thanks for the advice learning little by little already sent Curran a pm so hopefully i can get something in the next few weeks:o

Small county:pac: when i saw your location Buttevant jumped into my head

Thanks for the advice learning little by little already sent Curran a pm so hopefully i can get something in the next few weeks:o

Fermoy actually;:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

No one wants to be in Buttevant :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

No one wants to be in Buttevant :pac:
    Tis a great place altogether so it is, they've even resurfaced some of it.
    Just so you can get a good run up to the speed van.

But don't worry, they have retained the medieval charm of southern half of the village - you too can experience the trials of medieval cart transport on rutted glorified cattle tracks. All the thrills of an offroad adventure without leaving a National route.

If I won a middling amount from the lotto I'd buy the place and erase all evidence of it. In fact I'd just bulldoze the buildings as infill for that windy section through an ex quarry or whatever it is - that windy section between Buttevant and Newtwopothouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Quick one for ye lads (& lasses)

I've been giving the Lupo a clean and getting it ready to polish, and i went over it with some Iron X and Tar X - all fine except for an area on the drivers door where they seemed to have dried in and left a white stain. I've tried applying a small bit more then rinsing it off and it wont budge. Is it safe enough to polish over, or how should I go about removing it?

I've tried to take a picture of it, but it just doesn't come out in the picture!

EDIT: Included some pics

IMAG0154_zpsooyfmynf.jpg

IMAG0153_zpsbimbl481.jpg

Went ahead and polished it a yellow hex logic pad and some menzerna polish and it came right out. Had to come in though, too much condensation and dew forming on the car, I'll finish the rest at the weekend. Oh to have a garage :(

Glad you got sorted Benny - you did exactly as I would have advised by trying a small bit to remove it and to polish it if that didnt work! :)

More a case of me doubting my abilities after letting it happen and not wanting to make it any worse! Can't wait for the weekend now to crack on and get the rest of it polished

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I have mastered using autoglym srp however I'm struggling with the EGP how much should I put on and how long do I leave it before buffing it I have heard people saying an hour but surly that's way too long and would damage the paint.

Advertisement