Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sundrive Track League

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭RockWerchter

Did you not tell me recently you've gotten a new bike?

I might be getting a new (2nd hand) bike if my meagre stipend can stretch a bit further and Mavic are good to me with my broken wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I might be getting a new (2nd hand) bike if my meagre stipend can stretch a bit further and Mavic are good to me with my broken wheel.

So you're going to get a new bike. That's all I needed to hear.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Damn it, ordered new cranks and chainring but it looks unlikely they will get here in time , better see can I work my jammed rear cog loose this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

CramCycle wrote: »
    Damn it, ordered new cranks and chainring but it looks unlikely they will get here in time , better see can I work my jammed rear cog loose this evening.

Or ask to borrow wheel off hire?

Or ask to borrow wheel off hire?

Their cog size are the same as mine, have to loosen it anyway so may as well do it this evening rather than leaving it and letting it get worse.

• Advertisement

Sorry, forgot. Did you get chainrings sorted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Ive a heavy duty track chainwhip if you need a hand

Well I got the cog on with minutes to spare, i felt slower. Harry was a beast, rumours of his bike been so advanced it could travel in time were running amuck in the crowd.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I lost all my form of last week. I am blaming a variety of things, but mainly the fact that I immediately get out of the way if someone comes upsides me and squeezes just a tiny bit-I back right off. Lesson from now on-keep going!

he's moving to A's!

not sure I know which guy is you, did I sell you a bike part outside tesco terenure last year?

• Advertisement

gadetra wrote: »
    I lost all my form of last week. I am blaming a variety of things, but mainly the fact that I immediately get out of the way if someone comes upsides me and squeezes just a tiny bit-I back right off. Lesson from now on-keep going!

just hold your line, that confidence takes a while. there are ways to intimated opponents within the rules

dont worry about form, everyone has an off week or 2. I was lucky to get extra sleep and rest on tuesday, felt great today while others from monday still felt it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Pleased to see some of tonight's performers have thawed out enough to start posting here....

Let's just get this right - Harry's no Beasty!! He has no scars for a start.

Anyway it looked like quite a few Boardsies picked up points tonight including you CramCycle - promotion could be beckoning at this rate ....

Beasty wrote: »

Anyway it looked like quite a few Boardsies picked up points tonight including you CramCycle - promotion could be beckoning at this rate ....

Out of the lady C's! :pac:

You look well Beasty, was nice to meet you and CramCycle. You look very healed and unscarred. :D

Your quite strong, holding it with the established strong riders. If you had held your line I think you would have had more points tonight. The ladies group is stronger than It's given credit for.
    not sure I know which guy is you, did I sell you a bike part outside tesco terenure last year?
    You did, pedals I think, beard with a red fuji in C.

A really strong ladies group.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That's the group I'm angling for whenever I get to return...
    You look well Beasty, was nice to meet you and CramCycle. You look very healed and unscarred. :D
    I know it was getting dark, but still time for an eyetest methinks Gadetra;)

My attempts to put a few of you off racing clearly failed ...

@CramCycle: Sorry I didn't talk to you properly tonight. You looked good though. The gearing made a difference? Less spinny bouncy?

@Gadetra: Cram's right, the ladies group is very strong this year and you're doing well to stay there with them. Don't be intimidated, you have to remember that you've every right to be in your spot and it's up to them to beat you, not for you to get out of their way. Like Kumate says, we all have our beginners intimidation stories. There's a women's workshop coming up at the end of May. Be sure to attend. Details are on trackcycling.ie

@Beasty: Good to see you with a bit more skin on your face and a few less bandages.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

Wish I'd made time to get down before. I'll haveta take a recce from the terraces one of these evenings

Beasty wrote: »
    I know it was getting dark, but still time for an eyetest methinks Gadetra;)
    I agree with Gadetra, I would not have noticed only you gave me all the details.
    @CramCycle: Sorry I didn't talk to you properly tonight. You looked good though. The gearing made a difference? Less spinny bouncy?
    Dropped two teeth at the back, faster commute but it didn't feel faster on the first two races, probably because I didn't spin out this time, last race felt better, couldn't push myself to spin out but I kept my speed up so was overall happier

CramCycle wrote: »

Dropped two teeth at the back, faster commute but it didn't feel faster on the first two races, probably because I didn't spin out this time, last race felt better, couldn't push myself to spin out but I kept my speed up so was overall happier

It used to take me til second or third race before I felt good, so I just upped th epace of my warm up, a few lap or half lap sprints. Might work for you?

• Advertisement

It used to take me til second or third race before I felt good, so I just upped th epace of my warm up, a few lap or half lap sprints. Might work for you?

Hmmm I was thinking about that after last night. I didn't kick in till 3rd race. Speedier warm up for me so. I was afraid if tiring myself out before racing before :o

Hmmm I was thinking about that after last night. I didn't kick in till 3rd race. Speedier warm up for me so. I was afraid if tiring myself out before racing before :o

If you're ever in that large bunch that warm up together you'll notice it's a slower speed than Saturday training warm up. Don't go all out like, but do get some pace in and a sprint or two, basically so your body doesn't sh!t itself when the higher race pace starts. Also remember you have a quarter of an hour before your race starts so you'll be resting/freezing in between. Plenty of recovery time.

Jeez, hark at me. I'm hoping I'm not coming across as patronising, any chance to talk track is great and I just splurge when it comes up.

If you're ever in that large bunch that warm up together you'll notice it's a slower speed than Saturday training warm up. Don't go all out like, but do get some pace in and a sprint or two, basically so your body doesn't sh!t itself when the higher race pace starts. Also remember you have a quarter of an hour before your race starts so you'll be resting/freezing in between. Plenty of recovery time.

Jeez, hark at me. I'm hoping I'm not coming across as patronising, any chance to talk track is great and I just splurge when it comes up.

God no not at all I need all the advice I can get! I noticed that alright about the big group being slow so avoided it this week. Will work some sprints into my warm up next week. And try to hang onto someone speedy!
    What I need to work on (amongst other things!) is being confident about being a)close to the wheel in front of me, and b) growing a pair of balls and holding my line in a group. Gonna use the warm Ups on Monday and Saturdays to really work on that (and during training but the unstructuredness of warm up is scarier and harder.)
    gadetra, coming soon to a wheel near you! (almost :D)

The warm ups at training are not the best time to do it really. Too many new to the track not disciplined enough, trying to be "racers". Not what training is for.

Example is the guy a few weeks ago who actually popped out of his saddle to stretch or whatever and actually shoved his back wheel into the guys behind (namely me). I hate the training warm ups for this reason tbh. People slam on trying to slow down suddenly or accelerate up people's ar ses

Maybe find someone with some experience to sit behind. You need to be able to trust them, just don't overlap wheels and keep your eye on their saddle. Don't watch their wheel. If you watch the saddle you'll get closer.

Also face the fact that you'll touch a wheel at some point. There was a big one yesterday if you saw it? No fatalities. I've hit others wheels in races before too and not come down or brought others down. Just don't panic when it does. The only times I've seen it cause crashes is when people have panicked.

They used to have us on the grass before, shouldering each other on the bikes. You learn to stay up then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

I find with it being so cold and the time in between races that there is not much point in the warm up for me. Rollers in between races are the smart option, sadly not practical for everyone.

nak wrote: »
    I find with it being so cold and the time in between races that there is not much point in the warm up for me. Rollers in between races are the smart option, sadly not practical for everyone.

Agree, I used to bring the turbo, but the bolts on my new wheels won't fit the clasps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

If only I could get a pair of these: http://homepages.lboro.ac.uk/~hugh/hot%20pants.html

nak wrote: »
    If only I could get a pair of these: http://homepages.lboro.ac.uk/~hugh/hot%20pants.html

Blue Peter version

You will need:

1 pair of tracksuit bottoms that fit you
    1 pair of track suit bottoms that are two sizes too big
    1 roll of attic insulation

Sew the bottom of the fitting tracksuit legs to the inside of the bigger pair's legs. Stuff the gap between the two with the attic insulation. Sew the two waists together to seal it all in.

Ok, I might ask someone I know if I can tag along behind them in warm up so. I don't think I'm quite ready yet to accept wheels touching :eek: if I can get within a foot of the person in front of me next week (ok maybe two!) and close it up by 6inches as the weeks go by that can be my new aim.

.nak. Those pants look AWESOME! It gets really cold between races, and this week the ladies had to line out after the b's with the man c's which meant we were waiting twice as long, especially in the 3 and out one. I don't know how easy it would be to move in diy blue Peter version heated pants!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭SERCPRO

Great night's racing last night from one and all - Mental note to myself for next week, if there is another win and out race - count your laps !!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement