Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sundrive Track League

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I should add, ANYONE who has raced in the league is well able for this. It's basically an extension of the Wednesday nights with a chance to try a few races we don't have time for in the league. Bring food, water and sunscreen, and something to sit on. Talk to people coming up to it and get help with the line to take on the Flying 200m, your standing starts etc.

Done :cool:

Oh shyte what have I done :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

gadetra wrote: »
    Done :cool:

Oh shyte what have I done :eek:

Ditto, entered yesterday,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Hope everyone enjoyed tonight. A very long and sunny night of racing.

I don't know how many people read this and don't reply but are actually racing the league. BUT, if you've been racing for the last few weeks on a rental and are considering continuing to race I'd urge you to think about getting your own bike ASAP. There's a good few of you spinning out during races and I think you'd fare better if you had more options for gears. You'll all be encouraged to take part in all the larger weekend events and the bikes will let you down. There's plenty of strong riders in the Cs who would be in Bs bar gearing.

With that said, I have a 56cm Dolan...

Nah, if you're thinking of getting your own bike ask around on the Saturdays or Wednesdays, guarantee someone will know of one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I don't know how many people read this and don't reply but are actually racing the league. BUT, if you've been racing for the last few weeks on a rental and are considering continuing to race I'd urge you to think about getting your own bike ASAP. There's a good few of you spinning out during races and I think you'd fare better if you had more options for gears. You'll all be encouraged to take part in all the larger weekend events and the bikes will let you down. There's plenty of strong riders in the Cs who would be in Bs bar gearing.

Nah, if you're thinking of getting your own bike ask around on the Saturdays or Wednesdays, guarantee someone will know of one.

As soon as funds allow I will be getting me a Geoffrey replacement. I am not spinning out though I think, so I can comfortably fail another while yet!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

With that said, again ... http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057184263/1/#post89817959

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭SERCPRO

If anyone is looking for a track bike talk to me at the league on Wednesday as I have just changed my bike and have a 54" Specialized looking for a good home.

Great riding by one and all last night ...here are a few snapshots from week 4.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanronan/sets/72157644790189145/

Thanks again to all the organisers and volunteers for their time and effort. :) Without you, the league races wouldn't fall into place so seemlessly.

Great night out again, weather was stupendous as was the company.

First race went very badly for me, mainly my own fault. There was a bit of slowing up sharply in the bunch and I lost focus on what was going on around me. Lost my line a few times, couldn't seem to control the bike. I eventually just pulled out as I was worried I would take someone down. Not sure what it was but I felt terrible.

Second race went alot better, got both sprints coming round the last corner. I fear my gearing is slightly too high at the minute as I am only getting speed up on the last corner but it was a great competitive sprint, in fact all the sprints seemed to be very competitive last night with several finishing with only an inch or two between the wheels.

The hare and hound went oddly. We made plans to work together as a group and catch up the group quickly but it fell apart after the first lap. SERCPRO led us out full belt for a full lap, then one of the Sundrive guys. I could see we weren't catching them so I made an effort to pick up the pace but unfortunately I flew off to fast and ended up in no mans land between the two groups. The C group caught me on the last lap but the ladies were already crossing the line. Great workout but I failed on the teamwork side of things.

Gadetra had a great night, pretty much pulling round her group for a couple of laps in the scratch race, performances like that, I expect high placings next week.

• Advertisement

Yeah, a disparity of strengths in Cs tends to cause that. The ladies team worked very well and the men only made up a little bit of that half lap handicap, which says a lot.

Gearing really is a tough one. I used 49x15 last week for my foray into the As, even though I'd used 50x15 in the Bs. I did ok on it, but watching last night a 50x15 would have been better for some of the races, but with all the sprint races... 49x15 might have been better. Pretty confusing.

Yeah, a disparity of strengths in Cs tends to cause that. The ladies team worked very well and the men only made up a little bit of that half lap handicap, which says a lot.

Gearing really is a tough one. I used 49x15 last week for my foray into the As, even though I'd used 50x15 in the Bs. I did ok on it, but watching last night a 50x15 would have been better for some of the races, but with all the sprint races... 49x15 might have been better. Pretty confusing.
    I had 49x15 on my bike for getting there but after the warm up I thought I could get away with 49x14. Alas I was wrong, will probably go with either 15 or 16 on the back next week.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I had 49x15 on my bike for getting there but after the warm up I thought I could get away with 49x14. Alas I was wrong, will probably go with either 15 or 16 on the back next week.

I'd say you'd be good with the 49x15 tbh, 16 might be pushing it. You and SERCPRO should be up in Bs for Autumn leage so you'll have gearing all sorted before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Based on last night, 50x14 or 51x15 next week.

Based on last night, 50x14 or 51x15 next week.

I'm kinda lazy and only wanna change one, so I'll be trying the 50x15 again, I really think it'd take me a half lap at least to get a 50x14 up to speed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It was a great night of racing , and we were very fortunate with the weather allowing us to complete the programme - it was getting on for 10 when the last Junior TT was off. Pretty sure there were 70+ racers there last night and we had to split some of the cats as we have maximum numbers for the shorter races. That meant we had a few more races than usual and the fact we had an "A" group Devil with over 20 riders helped prolong the evening

Anyway, well done to Vlad last night - his first track racing for a couple of years but you would never have known and he put in some very strong performances. There were quite a few Boardsies there last night (and indeed a couple of jerseys, although only one was competing...)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

SERCPRO wrote: »
    Great riding by one and all last night ...here are a few snapshots from week 4.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanronan/sets/72157644790189145/
    Prefer the Adamstown version - they show a lot less baldness:D

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

The hare and hound went oddly. We made plans to work together as a group and catch up the group quickly but it fell apart after the first lap. SERCPRO led us out full belt for a full lap, then one of the Sundrive guys. I could see we weren't catching them so I made an effort to pick up the pace but unfortunately I flew off to fast and ended up in no mans land between the two groups. The C group caught me on the last lap but the ladies were already crossing the line. Great workout but I failed on the teamwork side of things.

Yeah the ladies worked amazingly in the hare group. It was impressive work.

With 2 laps to go I saw that we were no closer on the gap so I sat up to save myself for the Keirin (1 mile in the end) knowing that all was lost and I was struggling to hold the wheel after the 4 ups.

I got boxed in in the 1 mile, and couldn't get out at all so finished 5th or 6th. I felt good enough but tactics caught me out.

On a somewhat unrelated note, can you enter the Duane Delaney with a Limited Competition license?

C-Shore wrote: »
    Yeah the ladies worked amazingly in the hare group. It was impressive work.

With 2 laps to go I saw that we were no closer on the gap so I sat up to save myself for the Keirin (1 mile in the end) knowing that all was lost and I was struggling to hold the wheel after the 4 ups.

I got boxed in in the 1 mile, and couldn't get out at all so finished 5th or 6th. I felt good enough but tactics caught me out.

On a somewhat unrelated note, can you enter the Duane Delaney with a Limited Competition license?

If there's ever a keirin listed always check the list on the table at the track or during sign on. That should be sorted later in the summer though.

Yes on the licence, but mail Hugh to confirm if you'd like. Actually I'm almost 100% sure of that, cos I did it for two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

How fast are you guys going on that gearing ? The most I've used is 48 X 16, and struggled to get above 50kph. On 46 X16 the limit would be about 45 for what feels like the same effort.

• Advertisement

Actually I'm almost 100% sure of that, cos I did it for two years.
    You are right. Also covers you for BMX, MTB and Cyclocross AFAI remember.

If there's ever a keirin listed always check the list on the table at the track or during sign on. That should be sorted later in the summer though.
    Checked the situation last night - 2 derneys are "on order". Don't know when exactly they are due to arrive though.

ror_74 wrote: »
    How fast are you guys going on that gearing ? The most I've used is 48 X 16, and struggled to get above 50kph. On 46 X16 the limit would be about 45 for what feels like the same effort.

Others can chime in here, but 50x15 gives me 55km/h+, it depends on how long I've to keep it for.

That's what I had thought when paying for my license, since I'm not doing open road racing anymore I figured that was the best thing to do.
    fixie fox wrote: »

I know a guy asked you about the 15 and 16 sprockets, but would you sell all the 14, 15, and 16? Or are you not separating the chainrings and sprockets from one bundle?

Just though I'd ask.

C-Shore wrote: »
    I know a guy asked you about the 15 and 16 sprockets, but would you sell all the 14, 15, and 16? Or are you not separating the chainrings and sprockets from one bundle?
    MOD VOICE: That can be discussed in the relevant thread, bit OT here

MOD VOICE: That can be discussed in the relevant thread, bit OT here

Yes sorry, that was lazy of me!

Regardless of the sprockets or set up that I am using I seem to be regressing as the weeks go by !!! :confused:

A lot of tired eyes amongst the racers last night to be honest. Think it's busy time of the year for a lot.

SERCPRO wrote: »
    Regardless of the sprockets or set up that I am using I seem to be regressing as the weeks go by !!! :confused:

In fairness you're just back off a tough weekend, but next week should see some good improvements for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Glad that's changed; used to be restriced competition, so you had to choose one discipline or get a full competition licence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement