Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sundrive Track League

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭SERCPRO

I agree with HarryB ...great to see our ladies' National road champ at the track anocht.

****, I thought I saw flashes.

I was better off sticking to the lense tonight !! :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

In fairness to the guys they've made a lot of effort to encourage women to get involved. Someone can confirm when there were enough ladies for a group of their own, but when I started three years ago we were all together and I could count the ladies on two hands. In fact, the ladies specific course I mentioned to you before is being run by the same people who made the decision tonight.

Nice to see Melanie Spath there tonight too.

I am not saying it's the worst thing ever, I have just started, what do I know?! But an explanation would have been nice, then there would have been no questions. I am trying to get a load of my lady friends down to the track. I keep telling them how much fun it is! (and also how awesome Geoffrey is :D) I have one coming on Saturday, (hopefully!) I am hoping she is going to do the Ladies Track Day too.
    SERCPRO wrote: »
    I took some pics this evening. I'll try and upload them at some stage amarach.

Photos :eek: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Good to hear more ladies coming down. Excellent. The ladies racing had really picked up this year which is good news for all involved as it helps everyone progress.

Make sure you take part in the Duane Delaney too and consider Nationals etc.

Make sure you take part in the Duane Delaney too and consider Nationals etc.

Don't know what the first one is and the Nationals? Ha ha good one!! :pac:

• Advertisement

gadetra wrote: »
    The Duane Delaney is a great event. Be there ...:)

Duane Delaney is the first weekend race of the year. Omnium events of a sort.

How do you upload pics on here ?

How do you upload pics on here ?

You need to use an image host like Flickr or imgur or one of the other ones whose name I can't remember. If you have hassles, mail them to me and I'll post them for you.

You need to use an image host like Flickr or imgur or one of the other ones whose name I can't remember. If you have hassles, mail them to me and I'll post them for you.

Thanks. I'll try and load them to my Flickr a/c tomorrow and send you on the link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

In fairness to the guys they've made a lot of effort to encourage women to get involved. Someone can confirm when there were enough ladies for a group of their own, but when I started three years ago we were all together and I could count the ladies on two hands. In fact, the ladies specific course I mentioned to you before is being run by the same people who made the decision tonight.

Nice to see Melanie Spath there tonight too.

When I first started at the track we had women's races , then more people turned up and they mixed us in with the men. One of the reasons I wasn't keen on racing in the league for a while.

nak wrote: »
    When I first started at the track we had women's races , then more people turned up and they mixed us in with the men. One of the reasons I wasn't keen on racing in the league for a while.

Ah, ok, didn't realise that at all. There weren't many ladies racing when I started so I thought we were mixed cos of numbers.

From Adamstown Cycling FB:

10363472_544852288959380_4237055908955821577_o.jpg

10296121_544852338959375_217983077135139387_o.jpg

10383845_544852242292718_3466908572523785733_o.jpg

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,767 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Actually one thing annoyed me. Two guys were put in with the ladies because they hadn't won any points before. They had both raced before, just not won any points. I think that's really sexist and unfair, I mean where do the women go if they haven't won any points, the juniors? It's the exact same thing. I really didn't like that, and I say that as someone with no chance of winning anything! If a woman starts on track she goes in the lady C's. She does not get a nice easier, slower group to ride in. A guy gets to go into our group. No fair. And saying it was about numbers is bull. There were only 14 men C's. There are more B's!
    I wasn't an "organiser" last night, but did take the opportunity to give my arm a bit of physio by ringing the bell...

To be clear on this point - basically we were pressed for time with fading light and drizzle meaning there was every chance that we would not complete the racing (meaning those that would have lost races would initially have been the juniors, then C Ladies, then C Men etc based on the order of races)

Racing is taking a bit longer thsi year precisely because we have an extra group (the C Ladies group). The 2 who were doing the organising last night were basically racers themselves - one like me injured, but both volunteering their time allowing Hugh to race for the first time this season and Terry to participate in a Track Commission meeting

Basically therefore there was in incredible pressure time-wise with "encouragement" (for want of a better term!) at every opportunity from Hugh to press on. When it came to the C races we asked Hugh about the numbers and he "advised" us to even them up. The best way to do it in such a short time (given none of us really had much idea of everyone's ability so early in the season) was to do it based on results so far.

Sorry if anyone took offence - none was meant and all we were trying to do was give everyone the chance to race as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

Ah, ok, didn't realise that at all. There weren't many ladies racing when I started so I thought we were mixed cos of numbers.

There were probably more women racing when I started than now (if you exclude the juniors). CI had a development team of adults and were pushing for a track team to race internationally. Jen O'Reilly was the only one who went on to compete at elite level from what I can remember.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yeah, Kraftwerk guy was killing it. He was there before so I was wondering where he was hiding it.
    We done are accreditation together, for a guy who had never ridden a fixed gear before 6 weeks ago, he is doing incredibly well. Plus the fact that he seems to be able to keep up a high pace, almost sprint for over a lap was fantastic (if not disheartening when behind him) to watch. The Hare and Hound was great, I thought we were not going to catch anyone. When we finally did the two ladies in green worked like a tightly knit team to hold all but Kraftwerk guy off.
    Beasty wrote: »
    It was noted that CramCycle eased off towards the end of the evening in a vain attempt to evade promotion to Group B - the backhander may have worked last week, but the "facilitators" this week could not be bought (not once I had paid them off anyway!):pac:
    Eased off is not the way I would phrase it. Not having it inme would be more accurate but I was still happy, need more work on my tactics.
    Cram in Bs?
    No one told me but it would be nice to be upgraded for doing something rather than road racing where I just got to pick it.

Great shots. Favourites:

14188356812_46a33a7899_b.jpg

14004294717_88a7cfa737_b.jpg

I do have another one that I chose not to include of a junior with his hand off the bar giving the thumbs up !!! tut tut ! :)

One hand is ok though, no?

• Advertisement

Of course ...:)

Class!

I felt sorry for the kid on the yellow who got led out in the Derny race, the A1 rider was too slow for him, I could see him going for an overtake on 2 occasions on the back straight. That and he was pipped on the line for third in every single race, tough break.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I felt sorry for the kid on the yellow who got led out in the Derny race, the A1 rider was too slow for him, I could see him going for an overtake on 2 occasions on the back straight. That and he was pipped on the line for third in every single race, tough break.

It's a bit of a pain being the chariot in those races, the kids have to remain in constant contact with you about speed, otherwise you're too slow or fast for them. He was great though, it was a pity about the one were he was caught on the line, but he sped up when he realised they were coming. Lesson learned. Even at that age. He's got a great future ahead of him.

It's a bit of a pain being the chariot in those races, the kids have to remain in constant contact with you about speed, otherwise you're too slow or fast for them. He was great though, it was a pity about the one were he was caught on the line, but he sped up when he realised they were coming. Lesson learned. Even at that age. He's got a great future ahead of him.

I think it was a mixture of confusion, the kid was just matching pace, rather than asking to speed up as I think he thought that's what he was meant to do. He knew how to hammer it when he got a shout from the sideline. Once he is big enough for the bike he will be a force to be reckoned with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Great shots. Favourites:

14188356812_46a33a7899_b.jpg

excellent! always wondered what my face looked like in a sprint,(an angry blurry mess!) was worried I had come out of the sprinters lane too, that guy is doing the junior cert this year?!

I was at 140rpm cadence there

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

that guy is doing the junior cert this year?!

I could tie my own shoe laces by that time, so you know, swings and roundabouts.

Just wanted to say thanks for these, have been asking the family to come out for the evening and since seeing these and the kids/families in a few pics, she said she will to have a view.

Time to step up the game.

I'm not starting another thread for this as most trackies are in here anyway, but Duane Delaney entries are open online at: http://www.trackcycling.ie/?tribe_events=duane-delaney-tgp

NOTE!!!! It is online entries only.

• Advertisement

I should add, ANYONE who has raced in the league is well able for this. It's basically an extension of the Wednesday nights with a chance to try a few races we don't have time for in the league. Bring food, water and sunscreen, and something to sit on. Talk to people coming up to it and get help with the line to take on the Flying 200m, your standing starts etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement