Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭lainycool

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    If there is anyone here on their second or subsequent baby, have you felt movement yet? I'm 15 weeks this week and am getting paranoid that I haven't felt anything yet (was 17 weeks on first baby).

Sorry Monkey_tree, can't help you there :( Best of luck with the GP today, hope he/she can allay your fears.[/quote

Hi
    I'm jumping in from November thread just to say this is my 2nd pregnancy and I was expecting to feel baby move from about 16 weeks but I've only started to feel baby move, I'll be 21 weeks tomorrow so I wouldn't worry!

When I was 18 weeks I said it to hospital that I hadn't felt any movement and they weren't concerned at all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Thanks a lot lainycool, that's very reassuring!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wex83

If there is anyone here on their second or subsequent baby, have you felt movement yet? I'm 15 weeks this week and am getting paranoid that I haven't felt anything yet (was 17 weeks on first baby).

I'm expecting my second also and I'll be 16 weeks tomorrow and still don't think I can feel movement. Think I was nearly 20 weeks on my first before I felt anything but I think this is fairly normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I'm enjoying a resurgence of morning sickness at 16 weeks... wtf. Thought it should be over by now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

Yick Dolbert, that is terrible luck. Hope it passes soon.

Well my little one obviously knew I was talking about him/her, I got a few faint taps yesterday afternoon and thought I had imagined it, then again today, baba went a bit mad after I ate something sweet - it was faint but unmistakable! It was such a weird feeling to have those fluttery taps again - but sooo reassuring! Am delighted! :)

• Advertisement

Yick Dolbert, that is terrible luck. Hope it passes soon.

Well my little one obviously knew I was talking about him/her, I got a few faint taps yesterday afternoon and thought I had imagined it, then again today, baba went a bit mad after I ate something sweet - it was faint but unmistakable! It was such a weird feeling to have those fluttery taps again - but sooo reassuring! Am delighted! :)

Ah that's lovely! I think I've been feeling some flutters myself, it's too persistent to be wind :p I'm only feeling sick in the morning so it's not too bad really. I make up for it in the evening though! It's keeping the weight at bay at least, I've been warned I shouldn't gain too much based on my starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm still trying to convince myself my flutters aren't just wind. I wish I could be surer.

I had a consultant appt today and everything looks fine. Waiting for ages though! How're you all finding your hospital experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

Hi Everyone! Sorry have been up to my eyes so have' been on much. Hope everyones well! We have made our decision- we are definitely moving!! Very exciting but scary too- due to my DH's job we are moving to very rural South Africa- the middle of the desert. So I think babba will be a little Capetonian! I checked out the local hospital when we were over last week and really, really, really, didn't like the gynae ( ote not obstetrician) and he's the oly one there. Cape Town will be a 7 hour drive so we will need to move there for a week or so beforehand- was overdue last time- I know anything could happen, but that's the general plan anyway. Would love to stay onboard here though for the support of you guys as this is a huge move for us.....

• Registered Users Posts: 22 pinkshoes2012

Hi Ladies,
    How are ye all doing. I was on my holidays last week we went away for a few days to a European city was lovely to get away and spend some time with the oh and have lovely food. Though I might get some nice maternity clothes but didn't seem to see any. Back to work today felt like last week went way too fast. Have the big scasn next week can't wait, can't believe I will be half ways there the last few weeks have gone by way too fast. I only have a small bump at the moment more looked like I ate too much on holiday than as bump really. We have not bought any baby stuff yet but oh is doing lots of research he loves all that so I am happy to leave him off. I thought I felt a little flutter during the week but it's gone again. How is everyone else anyone feeling any movement. When have ye got your big scans.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nuttykat

Hi Ladies,
    How are ye all doing. I was on my holidays last week we went away for a few days to a European city was lovely to get away and spend some time with the oh and have lovely food. Though I might get some nice maternity clothes but didn't seem to see any. Back to work today felt like last week went way too fast. Have the big scasn next week can't wait, can't believe I will be half ways there the last few weeks have gone by way too fast. I only have a small bump at the moment more looked like I ate too much on holiday than as bump really. We have not bought any baby stuff yet but oh is doing lots of research he loves all that so I am happy to leave him off. I thought I felt a little flutter during the week but it's gone again. How is everyone else anyone feeling any movement. When have ye got your big scans.

I think I'm feeling flutters mostly on my right side ( I'm 16+4) mostly in the evening time. Have appt on Thursday but don't have big scan til Aug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I'm jumping over from January thread, what's these big scans you are talking about?? I had one at my booking app and that's it?? Are Ye getting another one done in hospital? I'm so jealous if Ye are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wex83

Lashes28 wrote: »
    I'm jumping over from January thread, what's these big scans you are talking about?? I had one at my booking app and that's it?? Are Ye getting another one done in hospital? I'm so jealous if Ye are!!

It's the anomaly scan that usually happens around 20 weeks. It checks the baby over fully to make sure there are no problems that can be identified at that stage. From what I can remember on my first baby it checks the heart and other major organs and checks limbs etc. I actually thought everyone got this scan but was talking to a friend of mine last week and in her hospital you have to pay (i think it was 200 euro) for it.

Some hospitals offer a 20 week anomaly scan, all of the Dublin hospitals do it as far as I know. It can detect various problems as well as telling the sex of the baby. It seems to vary wildly based on where you're based, IMO it's an important one and a disgrace that geography often determines whether or not you get one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

"Bump" gave a few subtle but clear 'knock knock's' the last two evenings when I've been lying in bed - fabulous (and a little odd - its my first!)

Is anyone experiencing a few stretching and growing pains? I seem to be going through a burst of them the last 2 weeks off and on. All good though, glad to see that things are moving in the right direction :) Dipping and rolling myself in Bio-oil every morning and evening...

Swung myself out of bed yesterday morning far too quickly and was paralysed by a series of short stabbing pains in my low right hand side, sort of above my pelvis area. Something to do with stretched ligaments? I will NOT be repeating that again anytime soon *ouch*

20 week scan at the end of this month in CUMH. I've heard the heatbeat on my last few GP checkups and that was wonderful. We're not going to find out the sex - anyone the same?

Yeah I get that pain when I turn over in bed too fast, not very nice when it's 3am! Our 20 week scan is in 3 weeks, can't wait! I think we will find out the sex but I can see why people don't too. Plus my friend bought us an hour long 3D scan so I expect there'd be no hiding it at that point anyway :)

I've been getting little flickers of movement too. It feels very odd.

Definite pains and I find certain movements exasperate it. Like whatever motion you do to put a cover on a duvet had my lower back and shoulders in pain.

We've got the scan on the 23rd, I'm going to leave it up to my husband to decide on finding out the sex or not.

How many GP checks have you had? I've had the initial confirmation appointment, then my booking appt and a consultant visit but nothing else. Should I be going to my own GP more or is it just if there is a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I just wanted to pop in and say hello! I'm actually due in two weeks but I've been reading your posts because Ive loved being pregnant and you're all at such a lovely stage, I will never forget the first time Baby Merkin moved, it's magical!

Re sudden stretchy pains: nothing to worry about! I used to get this turning over in bed, and sometimes if I sneezed violently, but it's just your ligaments stretching and won't happen so much as your bump grows.

Someone mentioned Bio-oil. If you're not using it, start immediately. I've slathered it on (from my boobs to thighs) every day and I'm proud to say I don't have one single stretch mark, it's worth using.

Finally, you're at or approaching one of the nicest parts of your pregnancy as the sickness or nausea has probably gone and the next few months are all about 'blooming' and enjoying the baby's movements. Use this time to go on holiday or to fancy hotels for nights away with your OH.

Best of luck xx

You must be so excited Merkin. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

How did you guess???!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Lol Merkin I keep checking all the months so I don't miss out on what I will be experiencing!!

That's crazy about the anomoly scan, was going to pay for a gender one,but might just go the extra bit and make sure all is where it should be!!

• Advertisement

Whispered wrote: »
    I've been getting little flickers of movement too. It feels very odd.

Definite pains and I find certain movements exasperate it. Like whatever motion you do to put a cover on a duvet had my lower back and shoulders in pain.

We've got the scan on the 23rd, I'm going to leave it up to my husband to decide on finding out the sex or not.

How many GP checks have you had? I've had the initial confirmation appointment, then my booking appt and a consultant visit but nothing else. Should I be going to my own GP more or is it just if there is a problem?

I seem to be scheduled with my GP every 8 weeks on average - run the usual tests, urine, blood pressure, baby heartbeat, my weight etc. I'd ring your GP to ask - each time I see the midwife at the hospital or my GP they complete a page in my baby folder / notes and jot down who I should see next and when. Hope that helps :)

Has anyone's immune system taken a bit of a nosedive? I've been unfortunate with 2 x UTI's (which seems practically impossible on 2ltrs of water a day, very good diet and no symptoms.. bad luck I guess!) Finished my antibiotics yesterday but now seem to have a bit of a chest cold / infection.. aarrrgghhh :)

The irony is I've never been as diligent about my health, diet and lifestyle. Baby is getting all my goodness, which is great, seems to be little left over though. Aaahhh... motherhood... might as well get used to it !

I asked about this and was told that I can go to the GP at 16 weeks if I liked, but as my booking appointment was at 13.5 weeks and all of my tests were fine it was grand to wait til 20 weeks too.

Plek Trum apparently the UTI thing is common due to the relaxing of muscles, another lovely feature!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭wicklori

Now this is a stupid sounding question- but bear with me! What's the earliest you can have a 20 week scan? I want to have mine here before I go to hopefully put my mind at ease or worst case scenario so I know to look for extra supports in hospital over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

wicklori wrote: »
    Now this is a stupid sounding question- but bear with me! What's the earliest you can have a 20 week scan? I want to have mine here before I go to hopefully put my mind at ease or worst case scenario so I know to look for extra supports in hospital over there.

I think 18-22 weeks is the usual time period

The closer you can leave it to 20 weeks the better (22 is ideal), as they may not be able to pick up everything earlier than that.

I know I'm doing a lot of moaning about the hospital but I think this takes the biscuit. This started last thursday.

Consultant (having arrived 2 hours late, nurses had to ring him to remind him he was to be there): You need B12, tell your GP
    Me: Won't he need anything to confirm that?
    C: no just tell him

GP needs letter because of an absorption issue I have.

After a week of ringing, every single day at least 3 times, I eventually got through to his secretary yesterday having gone through 6 people to get her.

Her response: Oh he was supposed to be here today but didn't show up, he won't be back until next Thursdays clinic.

2 weeks at least waiting on a letter to get treatment he recommended I start immediately.
    :mad::mad::mad:

I know I'm doing a lot of moaning about the hospital but I think this takes the biscuit. This started last thursday.

Consultant (having arrived 2 hours late, nurses had to ring him to remind him he was to be there): You need B12, tell your GP
    Me: Won't he need anything to confirm that?
    C: no just tell him

GP needs letter because of an absorption issue I have.

After a week of ringing, every single day at least 3 times, I eventually got through to his secretary yesterday having gone through 6 people to get her.

Her response: Oh he was supposed to be here today but didn't show up, he won't be back until next Thursdays clinic.

2 weeks at least waiting on a letter to get treatment he recommended I start immediately.
    :mad::mad::mad:

Why not ask can another Dr on his team check your notes and issue the letter/prescription? I'm sure it doesn't have to be the consultants name personally on the letter. Have you tried ringing the ante - natal clinic and explaining the issue to a midwife? They might sort it for you by nabbing one of the other Drs who are in the clinic......

I tried but I've to speak directly to his secretary apparently. I didnt even realise they have secretaries!

• Advertisement

I tried but I've to speak directly to his secretary apparently. I didnt even realise they have secretaries!

That's crappy alright. Normally with public healthcare you can deal with one of the consultants team. Fair enough the secretary may need to request your file but other than that any Dr should be able to issue instructions to your GP.

Advertisement