Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

December 2014 Babies Club

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Congrats whispered!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Hi all. I've been reading along over the last 9 months or so. My partner is overdue by a few days and started having very mild contractions every 20 mins this eve. I know this can go on for a long time yet but I'm wondering if I should stay with her from here on or go to work in the morning. It would take me about 45 mins to get home if needed and then another 45 mins to get to hospital. I'd rather stay but if there's no point then I may aswell head to work and not use up the time for nothing. What do ye think? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

deisedevil wrote: »
    Hi all. I've been reading along over the last 9 months or so. My partner is overdue by a few days and started having very mild contractions every 20 mins this eve. I know this can go on for a long time yet but I'm wondering if I should stay with her from here on or go to work in the morning. It would take me about 45 mins to get home if needed and then another 45 mins to get to hospital. I'd rather stay but if there's no point then I may aswell head to work and not use up the time for nothing. What do ye think? Thanks.

A lot can change overnight! I'd make the call in the morning tbh. Call your midwife/consultant in the morning if you are still not sure.
    Hope it all goes well - keep us posted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    A lot can change overnight! I'd make the call in the morning tbh. Call your midwife/consultant in the morning if you are still not sure.
    Hope it all goes well - keep us posted :)

Thanks for the reply. I'm away at 6am so that's what I'm worried about most. I'll know nothing much as I head off. Probably being over anxious but don't want to do the wrong thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Hi all, have my outpatients appointment in the morning- will be 38 weeks. Just wondering if they start checking cervix or anything at this stage or will it be the normal quick scan/ blood pressure etc?thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Could you work a half day?

Even if baby isn't born today, full labour could happen today and your partner might need you? It might not either but it would be hard if it did and you weren't there. You will be annoyed if nothing happens today but may be worth taking the risk? You might be able to judge better at 6. See if your partner is willing to risk you being 90 mins away either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Stay with her. I appreciated when my husband did.

Medical care staff in the coombe are absolutely fantastic. Honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Thumpette wrote:
    Hi all, have my outpatients appointment in the morning- will be 38 weeks. Just wondering if they start checking cervix or anything at this stage or will it be the normal quick scan/ blood pressure etc?thanks!

Hi Thumpette, I was given a cervical check and sweep at my 38 week appointment. I'm not sure if that's standard or if it was because at that stage early induction was on the cards.

It's hard to believe that Dónal is over a week old already! Mad to think he was only due yesterday. He's such a brilliant little chap. He's sleeping for 3-4 hour stretches which is brilliant and only really gets fussy once or twice a day. Because of his size we were advised to supplement his feeds with formula, but now that my milk has come in I'm trying to gradually increase the breastfeeds and phase out the formula. He's already way too used to the easiness of the bottle, time to work for it little man :) We have a weight check in the morning at the health clinic so here's hoping he's started to regain some of that weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

He's gorgeous!! Look at that little nose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭bobskii

oh he's a beauty!!
    I check in here regular I'm in the January thread but I'm Jan 1st so might be December yet!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

He's Beautiful dolbert.
    Can't remember when I last posted on this thread. My due date was last fri but I'm here looking at my 6 week old little man and he's a flier. Not a bother on him. He was tube fed back at the beginning of November but is fully breastfed since before he left hospital mid November. Putting weight on at every phn check so far. All good. Best of luck everybody.

Dolbert, he is just beautiful!!

I have been getting period like cramps and backache all morning - trying to ignore it for now! Doubt it's anything this early anyway ...

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭SarB89

Dolbert, he is just beautiful!!

I have been getting period like cramps and backache all morning - trying to ignore it for now! Doubt it's anything this early anyway ...

Snap!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

My girlfriend started getting cramps at 2am this morning, we initially thought she was in labour but they faded after two contractions and haven't come back. Turns out it was indigestion.

Congrats Dolbert!
    deisedevil wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I'm away at 6am so that's what I'm worried about most. I'll know nothing much as I head off. Probably being over anxious but don't want to do the wrong thing.

Work isn't nearly as important as helping your partner through labour, full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Dolbert he a beautiful baby. I am so excited to meet my own little one after seeing your picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

fall wrote: »
    Dolbert he a beautiful baby. I am so excited to meet my own little one after seeing your picture.

Me too,the butterflies, we will be having one of those soon!!
    His perfect shaped head. And just so content looking. Beautiful.

Is anyone here really worried about labour? Or is it just me? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I am, and I'm not even capable of it. Every labour is different and the vast majority result in the same thing - a healthy baby.

Aw he's so perfect Dolbert! Like a little doll. No mention of a cervix check today after all. Next hospital appointment at 40 weeks so they said they could do a sweep then.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

It's not just you, don't get me wrong very excited about baby but I am petrified of the whole labour and birth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Mrs Whippy I had what I can only describe as my own personal worse nightmare. Long labour, no progression, intervention needed and finally a section. I had hoped/thought all along that my body could handle it.

I am not a maternal woman, I never had one of those lightbulb "I really want a baby" moments so the fact that I can honestly say my little man was worth every single second and I'd do it again with a smile on my face for him should tell you a lot.

I promise you it is NOTHING you can't handle. Honestly.

To be honest I had a night in hospital where I felt more scared and out of control than during my labour - but this is normal and everyone is in the same boat. The midwives are amazing. It is not their "job" it's a calling.

Meeting for the first time. I don't look one bit traumatised do I :)

10835446_10204852255041563_50784264845067646_o.jpg?t=1418825491

That's a really beautiful photo Whispered, thanks so much for the reassurance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 katienoelle92

this is to demonstrate I can send a post for communications

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

He's gorgeous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

That's a really beautiful photo Whispered, thanks so much for the reassurance :)

Is this your first mrsWhippy? Sometimes I get panicky over labour,I'm afraid I won't be able to do it even tho I have a 9 year old boy. I think its natural it's such a big task ahead of us and we are solely responsible.

We will be ok our bodies are made for this. But from the first moment Mammies worry and always will.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

I agree you can handle whatever way labour goes and your body is capable of it. But no harm to prepare yourself mentally for some pain, or possibly extreme pain, (knowing there are pain relief options). Read some birth stories to see how different labours go.

A good way I heard it described is that your body, if trained, is capable of running a marathon. That doesn't mean it won't be hard or very hard but you can do it.

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Is this your first mrsWhippy? Sometimes I get panicky over labour,I'm afraid I won't be able to do it even tho I have a 9 year old boy. I think its natural it's such a big task ahead of us and we are solely responsible.

We will be ok our bodies are made for this. But from the first moment Mammies worry and always will.

No, I also have a 2 year old girl who was born by section as she was breech. All this "head down" stuff is very new and scary! I suppose its just the fear of the unknown really .. I just want to get this little lad out safely, all the uncertainty of when, where and how is driving me insane!

I presumed pretty much everyone is somewhere along the nervous- petrified spectrum! I'm in the 'very scared so just avoid thinking about it' space. I've fone the classes, I'll hope everything goes smoothly and I'll trust in the professionals if I need help- still such a scary prospect tho- total feel of the unknown!

Still- that picture shows why it's all worthwhile! Thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

My mantra is that every sensation is a step closer to meeting my baby. The contractions at the top of your bump is actually your uterus rolling down behind your baby to help it be born. I find if I understand each thing I can rationalise it better. That's just my way of coping. I also on my first used to visualise primitive women in nature delivering their babies alone and I kept telling myself I can do this, billions have gone before me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

I might sound stupid here, but what do the contractions feel like? Be handy to know. On and off I'm getting period like niggles at bottom of bump and lower back ache

Advertisement