Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Absolutely no sympathy for him at all. I don't wish for him to be executed but truly hope he never sets a foot in this country again.
    he's an irish citizen. so lets hope he does set foot back where he belongs. in ireland

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

He and his sisters have said that they were holidaying, shopping, but there were warnings about tourists staying away from areas of unrest. They were not innocently caught up in anything. They were posting on Facebook for weeks beforehand about it. They were actively involved and claiming now that they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I don't agree with him being imprisoned this long without trial or being executed but they need to take some responsibility for their actions. They considered themselves Egyptian until they realised that the Irish government are far more likely to get them out of the mess that they wholeheartedly walked into.
    they were protesting. so what. that is being innocent

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Absolutely no sympathy for him at all. I don't wish for him to be executed but truly hope he never sets a foot in this country again.

What exactly is it that you think he did in Egypt?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What exactly is it that you think he did in Egypt?

Walked like an Egyptian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Who let's a 17 year old go to a war zone?

Plus I love how the imagery has changed over the months - now he's pictured on a tricolour background wearing a track suit top!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭josip

Calibos wrote: »
    ...after I got mixed up in human rights protests or something.

So innocuous.
    Much accidental.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Jawgap wrote: »
    Who let's a 17 year old go to a war zone?

There was war in Egypt at the time? Also, they arrived before the trouble started from what I understand. Either way it wasn't a war zone as you put it.

wes wrote: »
    There was war in Egypt at the time? Also, they arrived before the trouble started from what I understand. Either way it wasn't a war zone as you put it.

Yes, ok - there wasn't an interstate war going on, but let's face it there was severe civil disruption and they went there of their own volition.

Now they expect to baled out by the government.

If they want to help the disadvantaged and haven't we plenty here they could've worked with?

Yes, ok - there wasn't an interstate war going on, but let's face it there was severe civil disruption and they went there of their own volition.

Now they expect to baled out by the government.

If they want to help the disadvantaged and haven't we plenty here they could've worked with?

Again, my understanding was they were there before the unrest, and again all they did was get involved in a protest, and I find it bizarre that this seems to enrage people so much, with people saying he should be allowed back in the country etc. You would think he was murdering puppies for a laugh, the way some people are going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,642 ✭✭✭✭josip

...If they want to help the disadvantaged and haven't we plenty here they could've worked with?

Most of us would be considered kafirs.

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    Most of us would be considered kafirs.

You are basing this on what exactly? Has the lad who is prison said anything of the sort, or are you just making stuff up, to make him seem like some kind of villan. As it stands, he got involved in a protest, and there is feck all proof of him doing anything else, so people are left with making stuff up to justify there irrational hatred and anger and this guy. Utterly bizarre stuff.

Again, my understanding was they were there before the unrest, and again all they did was get involved in a protest, and I find it bizarre that this seems to enrage people so much, with people saying he should be allowed back in the country etc. You would think he was murdering puppies for a laugh, the way some people are going on.

Yes and when it all kicked off the Irish ambassador arranged safe passage for them, they refused and opted to stay THEN they were arrested!

He's there because he was silly enough to go and not clever enough to come out when he had the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

he's an irish citizen. so lets hope he does set foot back where he belongs. in ireland

He's also an Egyptian citizen and when the Halawas spoke at the Muslim Brotherhood rally, they referred to themselves as "Egyptians living outside". Well, one's no longer outside. He's home in Egypt.

He's there because he was silly enough to go and not clever enough to come out when he had the opportunity.

Ok, and I fail to see how that justifies people saying he shouldn't come back to Ireland, or the sheer amount of hatred being directed at the guy.

Seriously, he got involved in a protest and stayed when he should have probably returned to Ireland, and thats it. The amount of crap being thrown at him on this thread, would lead someone to think as per the example I gave earlier that he was killing puppies or something.

**EDIT**
    Looks like what your saying was untrue, so again people making stuff up. Honestly, did this guy insult posters mothers or something?
    **END EDIT**

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Putinovsky

Yes and when it all kicked off the Irish ambassador arranged safe passage for them, they refused and opted to stay THEN they were arrested!

That never happened. There was no need for safe passage because flights were running without problem. The Irish government offered to help when it learnt of their arrest and detention.

Also they all consider themselves Irish, I know people that are close to them.

Why do you feel the need to lie and make things up? It's sad that you try push a disgusting agenda on a thread about an Irish teen who risks execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

at 17 and an irish citizen maybe something should have been done, irrespective of why he was in egypt in the first place.
    i figure nothing's been done for the simple reason that ireland hasn't the connections/interest to deal with it.

He's also an Egyptian citizen and when the Halawas spoke at the Muslim Brotherhood rally, they referred to themselves as "Egyptians living outside". Well, one's no longer outside. He's home in Egypt.

Now, it would far more accurate to say he is in prison for protesting, and is also an Irish citizen, and not as you put it "He's home in Egypt. ".

Putinovsky wrote: »
    That never happened. There was no need for safe passage because flights were running without problem. The Irish government offered to help when it learnt of their arrest and detention.

Also they all consider themselves Irish, I know people that are close to them.

Why do you feel the need to lie and make things up? It's sad that you try push a disgusting agenda on a thread about an Irish teen who risks execution.

Really? Because according to the story in the Irish Times
    Irish Ambassador Isolde Moylan managed to obtain a safe passage out of the mosque where Mr Halawa and his three sisters - Somaia (28), Fatima (23), and Omaima (21)- were trapped and their exit to Ireland. However, they refused and were arrested.

They are Irish citizens - I'm not denying that. But they had consular assistance - very good consular assistance if the ambassador was involved - and didn't avail of the opportunity. They wanted to make a political point - well they're making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Ok, and I fail to see how that justifies people saying he shouldn't come back to Ireland, or the sheer amount of hatred being directed at the guy.

Seriously, he got involved in a protest and stayed when he should have probably returned to Ireland, and thats it. The amount of crap being thrown at him on this thread, would lead someone to think as per the example I gave earlier that he was killing puppies or something.

**EDIT**
    Looks like what your saying was untrue, so again people making stuff up. Honestly, did this guy insult posters mothers or something?
    **END EDIT**

I don't hate him and don't think he should be executed. It's sad that Egypt isn't as tolerant and liberal a society as the one we live in. I believe in the right to protest, but unfortunately the Egyptians didn't at the time. The Halawas went to Egypt with the intention of demonstrating, in fact spearheading the demonstrations. Now they're claiming they were the integrated Irish children of expats returning to visit their family.

I don't hate him and don't think he should be executed. It's sad that Egypt isn't as tolerant and liberal a society as the one we live in.

I was talking about the general vitriol being fired his way.
    I believe in the right to protest, but unfortunately the Egyptians didn't at the time.

There were dozens of protests before and after, and the country was briefly before that time a democracy.
    The Halawas went to Egypt with the intention of demonstrating, in fact spearheading the demonstrations. Now they're claiming they were the integrated Irish children of expats returning to visit their family.

Again, last I checked they were there before the protests happened, as for spear heading the demonstrations, that sounds like hyperbole.

• Advertisement

Really? Because according to the story in the Irish Times

They are Irish citizens - I'm not denying that. But they had consular assistance - very good consular assistance if the ambassador was involved - and didn't avail of the opportunity. They wanted to make a political point - well they're making it.

Out of the mosque where they were already being detained by a surrounding police force. They refused because they feared that those not in the same position would be slaughtered by police once the non-nationals had vacated.

I commend them for that sort of courage, its a shame we don't have more young Irish teens like them, what a credit to our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Now, it would far more accurate to say he is in prison for protesting, and is also an Irish citizen, and not as you put it "He's home in Egypt. ".

I'm not interested in getting into a banal argument with you. Let's look at the legal aspect to this.
    "Let's say you're an Egyptian citizen as well as a Canadian citizen. The authorities would probably be emboldened to take more aggressive action because you're subject to laws of that country as a citizen."

When it comes to international law and the treatment of dual nationals, some countries have signed on to a 1930 Hague convention. That treaty states that a state "may not afford diplomatic protection to one of its nationals against a state whose nationality such person also possesses." 

"It's not a treaty that obliges the government to provide protection," said ​Macklin. "It's simply one that says in these circumstances if you sign this treaty you are saying you won't [provide protection] when the person is in the country of their other nationality."

But Canada is not a signatory to that treaty.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mohamed-fahmy-case-dual-citizenship-can-complicate-diplomatic-protection-1.2684357

But Ireland is a signatory. Ergo, for all intents of purposes he will be treated as an Egyptian citizen. Other than ensuring that he's being humanely treated, I think that there is little the state can do.

Whether he prefers Mido or Robbie Keane matters not a jot.

Again, last I checked they were there before the protests happened, as for spear heading the demonstrations, that sounds like hyperbole.

Did you not watch the video on the previous page? Addressing a crowd on behalf of the Muslim Brotherhood? They were there before the protests, correct. But they intentionally went to protest and that is a fact. As I said they made no secret of this fact on social media before they went.

I completely believe in the integration and assimilation of those who wish to be Irish citizens but involvement in the Muslim Brotherhood doesn't suggest to me a family that are overly interested in their Irish heritage. They're not even interested in the safety of their 17 year old boy.

Having said that, they are Irish citizens. The consulate went to their assistance and were told that it wasn't wanted. That, I believe, is as much as they are owed as Irish citizens.

Out of the mosque where they were already being detained by a surrounding police force. They refused because they feared that those not in the same position would be slaughtered by police once the non-nationals had vacated.

I commend them for that sort of courage, its a shame we don't have more young Irish teens like them, what a credit to our country.

So they placed themselves in that position? They were given a choice and decided to stay?

What business has an Irish citizen protesting in a country they don't live in?

And I'm glad we don't have too many teens silly enough to go into authoritarian regimes to protest - it rarely ends well, for them or their families.

Did you not watch the video on the previous page? Addressing a crowd on behalf of the Muslim Brotherhood?

Protests that has a lot of people speaking at them. Speaking at a protest isn't the same as spear heading them.
    They were there before the protests, correct. But they intentionally went to protest and that is a fact. As I said they made no secret of this fact on social media before they went.

No one is denying that they decided to protest, when they were already there.
    I completely believe in the integration and assimilation of those who wish to be Irish citizens but involvement in the Muslim Brotherhood doesn't suggest to me a family that are overly interested in their Irish heritage. They're not even interested in the safety of their 17 year old boy.

He was involved in what were arguable pro-democracy protests, and I fail to see why integration has to do with anything.
    Having said that, they are Irish citizens. The consulate went to their assistance and were told that it wasn't wanted. That, I believe, is as much as they are owed as Irish citizens.

Hardly justifies the some of the comments on here, about how he shouldn't be allowed back etc now does it?

I'm not interested in getting into a banal argument with you.

Then, maybe don't trot stuff like that on a internet message board if you don't want to get into arguments then......
    Let's look at the legal aspect to this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mohamed-fahmy-case-dual-citizenship-can-complicate-diplomatic-protection-1.2684357

But Ireland is a signatory. Ergo, for all intents of purposes he will be treated as an Egyptian citizen. Other than ensuring that he's being humanely treated, I think that there is little the state can do.

Well, if we are going to talk about legality, then I am pretty sure a military junta is completely illegal........

And I'm glad we don't have too many teens silly enough to go into authoritarian regimes to protest - it rarely ends well, for them or their families.

We Irish have an incredibly proud history of standing up to bullies. There are a number of Irish human rights activists on the front lines in China, Israel, Nepal and of course Egypt.

I am incredibly proud at how courageous these teens were, they risked their lives for a worthwhile cause. I'm sure a lot of those who were with them will think of Ireland very fondly as a result.

I think people like you are a blight on the country. Too afraid to stand up for anything and perfectly content to criticize those brave enough to risk their lives. I am glad some of our youth has more backbone than the likes of you.

Protests that has a lot of people speaking at them. Speaking at a protest isn't the same as spear heading them.

They would not be speaking at a protest on behalf of the Muslim Brotherhood if they were not members of the Muslim Brotherhood. Protests don't usually have anyone jumping up on the podium to speak. You'd want to have some clout to be afforded the podium. They were part of the organisation, not poor tourists that accidentally got locked in a mosque.

No one is denying that they decided to protest, when they were already there.

It was on their Facebook pages before they left to go to Egypt that this was their intention.

He was involved in what were arguable pro-democracy protests, and I fail to see why integration has to do with anything.

Pro Muslim Brotherhood protests. Hardly as Irish as soda bread, and I don't believe that a protest in favour of a Muslim society could be argued democratic.
    Hardly justifies the some of the comments on here, about how he shouldn't be allowed back etc now does it?

I don't agree with those comments. I just think that since they rebuffed the previous attempts of the Irish government to assist there's not a whole lot that can be done about it now.

We Irish have an incredibly proud history of standing up to bullies. There are a number of Irish human rights activists on the front lines in China, Israel, Nepal and of course Egypt.

I am incredibly proud at how courageous these teens were, they risked their lives for a worthwhile cause. I'm sure a lot of those who were with them will think of Ireland very fondly as a result.

I think people like you are a blight on the country. Too afraid to stand up for anything and perfectly content to criticize those brave enough to risk their lives. I am glad some of our youth has more backbone than the likes of you.

You strike me as the equivalent of a politician who sends soldiers off to war but won't go themselves.....

.......and I don't mind adults making decisions to go protest, but teens?? You advocate sending teens to protest authoritarianism?

If you admire them so much, why don't you go?

.....and you've no idea about me. I've spent nearly half my working life in the service of the State helping real people solve real everyday problems, not to mention the voluntary work I do now. And, yes I've done my protesting.

• Advertisement

BTW, if people want to protest, why not protest the homelessness crisis, the HSE, child poverty, educational disadvantage......right here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement