Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Teen Fears Execution in Egypt

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Freddie Dodge

wes wrote: »
    It was the Junta doing the murdering, and then people responded in kind after protesters were murdered in the street. The Junta caused the escalation. BTW, he was there on Holiday, when everything started to happen.

As for Sharia law, erm they already had that under the previous military regime, and I have seen nothing said about that being changed........

As for the country being peaceful, you will find it was the Junta who kicked off all the pointless violence, when they started killing protesters in the street. All of that very well documented in the media.

So your against, them due to something they may do in the future..... Thats some nonsense right there. So either you have crystal ball or can read his mind, apparently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxor_massacre

Mubarrack kept those bastards under his heel for quite a few years, then the "arab spring" bullcrap let them loose again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

They went over and got involved in the protests over there, why didn't they just stay out of it and nothing would have happened.

Yep, protesting deserves a death sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

FFS a 17 year old is about to be killed and half the thread effectively has nothing more constructive to say than "good riddance".

How do we know his situation? He's 17, he could easily have been flown out under duress from his father who seems to be a fairly extreme character. It doesn't matter what he did or didn't do over there, an Irish citizen (and that's exactly what he is, regardless of your prejudices) should have his government doing something to get him back.

It doesn't matter what his motives are, a 17 year old should not, in my view, be punished by death under any circumstances. Some of you people sicken me.

Quote me where I've used any of the above expressions or else STFU.

Post 32 of this thread, Freddie.

"How would the bleeding hearts feel............"
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89818170&postcount=32

Festy wrote: »
    Mod deleted post

Brilliant. You've really raised the bar and I commend your intellectual prowess and deductive reasoning skills.

Can you not at least try and be subtle with your racism?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Brilliant. You've really raised the bar and I commend your intellectual prowess and deductive reasoning skills.

Can you not at least try and be subtle with your racism?

If someone goes out looking for trouble they get no pity for me regardless of their colour.

If someone goes out looking for trouble they get no pity for me regardless of their colour.

No evidence he went out "looking for trouble". And whatever about colour their religion seems to factor into your thinking, given your earlier outburst.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

where do you think he and his family will be campaining to be made a sharia law state at some time in the future? Hint: hes an "Irish" citizen.
    so what? he can campain for sharia law all he likes in ireland, as he won't get it, he won't be campaining for it anyway
    As I said; fcuk em.
    fcuk him? from the one who whines about a mythical non existant organization, and bleeds on about how someone will campain for sharia law in ireland, thats laughable

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Mod deleted post.

yeah, because the christian religion is so ****ing perfect isn't it, grow up
    Let the ****er rot

i'd rather a bigot like you to be left to rot TBH

so what? he can campain for sharia law all he likes in ireland, as he won't get it, he won't be campaining for it anyway

I actually agree with you here, he wont be "campaining" for it, people of his political persuasions dont usually campain for anything, they prefer more direct methods.
    fcuk him? from the one who whines about a mythical non existant organization, and bleeds on about how someone will campain for sharia law in ireland, thats laughable

Which mythical non existent organization would that be?

• Advertisement

Trimblefan wrote: »
    I wonder what your response would be if a teenage from the Republic of Ireland went up to Northern Ireland, got involved in riots and was then sentenced to death.

Such casual racism in this thread. Paedophile prophet? The entire Irish priesthood is riddled with paedophiles who were raping our children under the knowing eyes of our government. Catholicism can not hold its head any higher in that regard.

I wouldn't give a toss what would happen if a teenager went up the north looking for trouble, If you play with fire you're going to get burned. I would have no pity for them just like I have no pity for that Irish woman who was caught trying to smuggle drugs out off Peru.

As for religion, all religions are nonsense but Islam really is a disgusting. Any religion that allows grown men to have child brides disgusts me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

FFS a 17 year old is about to be killed and half the thread effectively has nothing more constructive to say than "good riddance".

'about to be killed' is stretching it a bit. He is imprisoned, and hasn't had any charges made against him yet.
    How do we know his situation? He's 17, he could easily have been flown out under duress from his father who seems to be a fairly extreme character. It doesn't matter what he did or didn't do over there, an Irish citizen (and that's exactly what he is, regardless of your prejudices) should have his government doing something to get him back.

I agree the Irish government should be doing everything they can to get this boy home.

There should then be a full investigation into his father, the Clonskeagh mosque and their links with Yusuf al Qaradawi, the Muslim Brotherhood and the ECFR
    It doesn't matter what his motives are, a 17 year old should not, in my view, be punished by death under any circumstances. Some of you people sicken me.

Again, he wasn't sentenced to death. He wasn't even charged with a crime yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Trimblefan wrote: »
    Such casual racism in this thread. Paedophile prophet?

Muslims are a race now??

Tbh, I don't think it matters if he went out there stirring up trouble or not (I personally don't think he did). The point is that no 17 year old deserves to be executed and as an Irish citizen, the Irish government need to be doing something to get him home. That people would support the actions of an awful regime like they currently have in Egypt in sentencing a minor to death (along with hundreds of others) is saddening I must say.

old_aussie wrote: »
    Maybe Ireland don't want him back and if they ignore the plight of this citizen, then the problem might just go away.
    it won't go away, he's an irish citizen so i couldn't care a less whether the government want him back or not, its their job to get him back

I wouldn't give a toss what would happen if a teenager went up the north looking for trouble, If you play with fire you're going to get burned. I would have no pity for them just like I have no pity for that Irish woman who was caught trying to smuggle drugs out off Peru.

As for religion, all religions are nonsense but Islam really is a disgusting. Any religion that allows grown men to have child brides disgusts me.

Disregarding your utter contempt for anything different and grossly sweeping generalizations I'll make a few points.

He's not a grown man yet. His religious views are purely a product of his environment i.e. his parents. How do you know he won't leave Islam when he's older? Maybe he even might begin to develop the same ideology towards religion that you have? I'm not saying this is a good thing but it's a definite possibility. However, by your line of thinking, he was born to Muslims and therefore he deserves to be killed for what he has (or hasn't) done. You presume he went "looking for trouble" and blame him as a person for what his environment and upbringing made him. You essentially want him to pay with his life for what everyone in his life but him has done.

He's still a kid who doesn't have a fecking clue about life.

yeah, because the christian religion is so ****ing perfect isn't it, grow up

i'd rather a bigot like you to be left to rot TBH

I don't hear about any Christians chopping peoples heads because a person committed adultery.

brimal wrote: »
    'about to be killed' is stretching it a bit. He is imprisoned, and hasn't had any charges made against him yet.

Again, he wasn't sentenced to death. He wasn't even charged with a crime yet.

Apologies I was basing that information on the sensationalist headline and rather biased article. I was under the impression that everyone rioting (500 or so people) were to be executed though...is this false?

nokia69 wrote: »
    but he was making a show of support for the muslim brotherhood
    so what, they were elected by the people whether you like it or not, go find another country for your foreign holiday.
    thats far worse than importing drugs
    lol
    he only wants to be irish when it suits him
    no, he is irish, deal with it.
    thats the type of thing islamists get up to in egypt
    and in ireland catholics abuse children, put single mothers into homes, abuse them and sell off their babies via a forced adoption program, oh yeah we really have such a moral high ground, oh but heres the problem, not all catholics did this or condoned it, same with muslims in relation to egypt, but don't let facts get in the way of indo style nonsense racism and bigotry

Rabble rabble racism rabble rabble bigotry, rabble rabble rabble.

Its like the default response now on this forum.

Every fcuking thread. Its getting boring.

These people will never be Irish, full stop. A piece of paper doesn't change your ethnicity.

I cannot believe you signed up just to post that.

Care to define "Irish" for us Allahackbar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luxor_massacre

Mubarrack kept those bastards under his heel for quite a few years, then the "arab spring" bullcrap let them loose again.

Except that completely untrue....

Your own link btw says the groups responsible was Al-Gama'a al-Islamiyya, and you know not the Muslim Brotherhood, and the groups responsible also renounced violence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Gama%27a_al-Islamiyya#Renouncing_terror

So not only is your example about a different group, the same group you use as an example has since renounced violence. FFS, perhaps you should actually read your own links first......

Mubarak btw, if you read the link I provide, actually let out a bunch of them in 2003, so it looks like even he didn't see them as that big of a threat.

I actually agree with you here, he wont be "campaining" for it, people of his political persuasions dont usually campain for anything, they prefer more direct methods.
    because none of our own have ever done that right? their won't be any "direct" action for sharia law as their will be no sharia law in ireland so grow up and move on and get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Mod

Festy has been banned, so if you are looking for replies you ain't gonna get them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭josip

They'll never be executed.
    Their sentence will be commuted to life in prison as an act of "clemency".
    The "furreners" from rich countries will be deported to serve their sentence in their home countries wihtin a couple of years.
    Immediately on repatriation or within a few months, the original convictions will be deemed "unsafe" and they'll be released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

he will be ok

wes wrote: »
    Except that completely untrue....

Your own link btw says the groups responsible was Al-Gama'a al-Islamiyya, and you know not the Muslim Brotherhood, and the groups responsible also renounced violence:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Gama%27a_al-Islamiyya#Renouncing_terror

So not only is your example about a different group, the same group you use as an example has since renounced violence. FFS, perhaps you should actually read your own links first......

Mubarak btw, if you read the link I provide, actually let out a bunch of them in 2003, so it looks like even he didn't see them as that big of a threat.

So those Islamic extermists are bad, and the other Islamic extermists are good

M'kay.

Mubarak did NOT let some of the perpetrators of the Luxor massacare out, he couldn't have, - they were all dead in a cave.
    Morsi on the other hand brought some of the group responsible into his "government"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Nodin wrote: »
    Yep, protesting deserves a death sentence.

Has he been condemned to death?

No he hasn't unless you know something we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

So those Islamic extermists are bad, and the other Islamic extermists are good

M'kay.

If you going to condemn someone, then condemn them for stuff they have actually done.

The Muslim Brotherhood (who as I have said before have many many faults) did not commit the crimes you referred to, and blaming them as you have been doing is pointless.

The fact remains, they were democratically elected, and shooting there supporters in the streets, and then trying to blame them on the post coup violence is absurd. It was the Junta responsible for the vast majority of deaths and not the Muslim Brotherhood. The whole situation could have been resolved already with new elections, but the Junta decided to escalate things instead, so they could tighten there control of the country.
    Mubarak did NOT let some of the perpetrators of the Luxor massacare out, he couldn't have, - they were all dead in a cave.

He let members from the group responsible out, as per the link I provided.
    Morsi on the other hand brought some of the group responsible into his "government"

Yes, and as I pointed out Mubarak let them out of prison in the first place, back in 2003. They renounced violence btw, hence why they were let out by Mubarak in the first place. You can't exactly condemn Mursi on one hand, and then ignore the fact that previous military regime, let them out in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭bigroad

If he ever comes back to Ireland i hope he brings the sun with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I am torn on this, to be honest.

On the one hand, this young man is an Irish citizen. No matter what people say, he is a citizen of the Republic of Ireland as sure as you or I are. He holds an Irish passport and should be afforded the same protection and help of any Irish citizen if they are in trouble. The Department of Foreign Affairs has a duty to make as much noise about this as is possible. The same as it would do for any other Irish citizen.

Not that it makes a bit of difference, but I'm fairly certain I read somewhere that he was born in Ireland. Again, this matters not a damn thing, but for people howling about how he's not Irish, you are wrong. He is a citizen of this country and was born here (I think) and as such deserves as much protection as can be afforded to him by his own government.

He was also only 17 when he was detained in Egypt. When I was 17, I was pretty clueless and easily led, which I assume is what happened here. Very easy to be indoctrinated into a crazy belief system when you are that age. But the fact of the matter remains (despite my personal feelings of despising the doctrines/beliefs he holds) that he was just a boy when he was arrested in Egypt. Think back to when you were 17; how easy it would be to get swept up in something if your family and friends were all strong believers in a cause. How easily led you might be.

However...

Like it or not, he allegedly broke the law of Egypt. He participated in a violent counter-coup (allegedly). To take up arms against a government (even if it is a military-installed dictatorship that overthrew a democratically elected government) is an act of treason.

Sure, the military under the Field Marshall Al-Sisi committed an act of treason, but they succeeded and became the new government... not condoning them, but they are de-facto the government now and to fight against them is an act of treason. Succeed, and you are the victors and win the spoils. Lose, you have to be prepared to reap what you sow.

In many countries, there are not many crimes that are punished as severely as treason; it carries the death penalty in many countries (including Western countries).

It is also a fact that he could have stayed well clear. I know it is hard to suppress one's feelings and passions for one's beliefs, but at the end of it all, he could have resisted and stayed in Ireland and stayed well out of harm's way. He didn't. He travelled to Egypt (be it for a holiday or for the intent of getting involved in the protests/insurgency) at a time when hostilities were flaring up in a major way and at a time when the general consensus was to stay the hell out of Egypt until the dust had settled. I'm fairly sure that even our own Department of Foreign Affairs strongly advised people to stay away from Egypt as much as was possible.

I am firmly anti-death penalty and I believe that it solves absolutely nothing and serves no other purpose than to be a barbaric relic from the old days of the horrendous "eye for an eye"-philosophy. Nobody, least of all a teenager, should ever face a death sentence. Life in prison for serious crimes? Yep. Same as anyone over the age of responsibility. Do the crime, do the time. But not a chance should anyone be put to death by the state, regardless of how horrific their crime. Life in a small cell is punishment enough.

I believe that the Irish government should make as much effort as is possible to get this young citizen home... even if he is in the situation he is in mostly through his own actions and beliefs.

It's a difficult one... but do we sometimes not still sing a song about a "lad of 18 summers" who died for what he believed in?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement