Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Digidol wrote: »
    Strange though as it works fine through speakerphone, and I can record voice memos without any problems with the mic?

Yep same as what I had. Eventually you'll find the voice memos might stop recording too. The speaker phone runs off a separate mic as far as I am aware, your experience is the exact same as I had and it couldn't be fixed.if you Google the issues you'll see it has happened with quite a few others.

You could try doing a factory reset in case a third party app is causing software conflicts. It had been reported to work for some people. Didn't work for me and I even installed a new dialler. Ultimately as I mentioned, it was a hardware failure for me

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Digidol

Uriel. wrote: »
    Yep same as what I had. Eventually you'll find the voice memos might stop recording too. The speaker phone runs off a separate mic as far as I am aware, your experience is the exact same as I had and it couldn't be fixed.if you Google the issues you'll see it has happened with quite a few others.

You could try doing a factory reset in case a third party app is causing software conflicts. It had been reported to work for some people. Didn't work for me and I even installed a new dialler. Ultimately as I mentioned, it was a hardware failure for me

A factory reset seems to have it working again...for now anyway! Hopefully it stays that way, I've been reading up on it and some people report that the HTC Service Pack update caused the problem so I'm not going to update anything on it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Right I've only gone and broke my glass. Anyone had this replaced before?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Right I've only gone and broke my glass. Anyone had this replaced before?

You'll have a bit of trouble I'm afraid, these phones are a nightmare to open up and fix. Getting HTC to fix it is the only way to get it done properly. A lot of independent phone repair shops won't even touch them, and the ones that will fix them normally do slight cosmetic damage to the phone while repairing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Hi guys, Lost my m8 and the insurance company are offering me the m9 for an extra 55 euro. Im wondering should i go for the m9? the reviews seem to be a mixed bag

• Advertisement

richy wrote: »
    Hi guys, Lost my m8 and the insurance company are offering me the m9 for an extra 55 euro. Im wondering should i go for the m9? the reviews seem to be a mixed bag

I've had virtually every HTC. The M9 is really on about par with the M8. Camera is better in good light, but really there's not much difference between the two. The only reason I'd really go for the M9 is that it still has close to 18 months of updates ahead of it, whereas the M8 probably won't really get any major updates after Marshmallow hits in the next month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

richy wrote: »

the only reason the M9 has mixed reviews is because it is very similar to the M8. It is a marginally better phone than the M8 in reality so 55 extra for it isn't too bad. I'd probably just take the M8 if you could get that for free though.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

Thanks for replies guys. I am in two minds really. M8 seems to have better battery life but the M9 will have a new battery. Also the extra 55 euro im spending for the M9 would probably be made back easily if I decided to sell it in a years time in comparison to what I would get for the M8 plus longer shelf life in terms of updates. I wish it was an easier decision lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

Anyone got their Marshmallow update yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

dragona wrote: »
    Anyone got their Marshmallow update yet??

Nope! havent seen it pop up anywhere in europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tempted to try a ROM this weekend. Sky Dragon, Red Bull or Resurrection....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I installed Sky Dragon last night, so I'm all marshmallowed up. Seems great so far.

Some new UI flourishes, the new permissions stuff is pretty prominent and it's very smooth running.
    Time will tell how much the battery has improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Same here, installed Sky Dragon myself and running very smoothly so far. Hope it improves battery life as performance was never really an issue. So far no bugs for me either, very solid rom.

beardo81 wrote: »
    Same here, installed Sky Dragon myself and running very smoothly so far. Hope it improves battery life as performance was never really an issue. So far no bugs for me either, very solid rom.

i know as soon as i put on skydragon standard marshmallow will roll out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

So what we all think of marshmallow and sense 7. No real changes. Navigation keys at bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

One thing I like is I can disable apps I don't use.

Might get the battery lasting longer

corkgsxr wrote: »
    One thing I like is I can disable apps I don't use.

Might get the battery lasting longer

Doze should be set up so that all apps save power. In your power management settings, you only set the apps that you don't want to save power with.....I think it's a little bit confusing the way they've done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Like the upgrade. Keyboard seems to be better too , however, ever since upgrading the 'double tap' to wake doesn't work. It's enabled but doesn't work. Didn't realize how much I used it!

Anyone else has this issue?

Is anyone else having issues with youtube videos after update?

Basil3 wrote: »
    Doze should be set up so that all apps save power. In your power management settings, you only set the apps that you don't want to save power with.....I think it's a little bit confusing the way they've done it.

Is dose the one you go through developer options, advanced and inactive apps.

It's meant to over time deactivate apps u don't use but you can do it manually too

• Advertisement

Can anyone get that ui system tuner thing working.

Where you hold the setting button till it spins

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Is dose the one you go through developer options, advanced and inactive apps.

It's meant to over time deactivate apps u don't use but you can do it manually too

Doze is just the normal battery saver that is built into marshmallow. To be honest, I don't think it makes a huge difference, although I have left my phone for 7 hours overnight without losing any battery percentage.

The only problem I found was that certain apps needed to be stopped from dozing. Sometimes I received Whatsapp messages hours after they were sent, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

The navigation keys were always on the keyboard you just needed to turn them on. I just got my update and other than the keyboard I can't see much of a difference but time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

Just a simple question. Does anybody know is there a max download speed of Android phones wirelessly. Laptop speed tests are about double what I see on phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

I know this is a M8 thread but seem to be stuck on the "Android is upgrading" screen on my M9 with the Marshmallow update.

It did the two main updates, updated the apps and then went to this screen about 30 min ago.

Anyone had to wait this long?

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm having serious battery drain. It was charged to 100% this morning and now I had to turn it off at 8% about an hour ago. I was getting 2 days out of it before that.
    "Android System" seems to be taking up most of the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Just a simple question. Does anybody know is there a max download speed of Android phones wirelessly. Laptop speed tests are about double what I see on phone.
    Depends on the phone really, there isn't a set limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm having serious battery drain. It was charged to 100% this morning and now I had to turn it off at 8% about an hour ago. I was getting 2 days out of it before that.
    "Android System" seems to be taking up most of the battery.

Has phone settled down for you since?

How are people finding battery life after marshmallow update in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

anyone know a good place to send an m8 for repair?

dropped mine into the sea a few months ago and, minor miracle only, the speaker is a bit off since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

flugel wrote: »
    Has phone settled down for you since?

How are people finding battery life after marshmallow update in general?
    I find it slightly better than before, yet I'm not running apps like facebook etc

Advertisement