Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Mr E wrote: »
    Wakelock Detector will tell you what's keeping your phone awake. Probably an app you recently installed or updated.

Thanks for that. Took the attached screenshots from that app, but it's not clear to me which app is causing the problem

Im thinking of changing my galaxy s3 mini to a htc m8
    Has the htc got the same playstore as the samsung

Also, when i changed to my s3 from the s, my apps updated when i entered my google details
    Will this update in the same way with the m8?
    I cant affoard an m9, and fancy a change from the galaxys
    Thanks.

Yes, the play store is universal. Any android phone should remember your apps when logging into your same account on a new device, along with your contacts etc.....assuming you use a google account for that stuff.

The Galaxy S3 mini is an absolute dog of a phone, it will be night and day difference when moving to M8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Battery life on my M8 is gone to crap in the last two weeks. Draining very quickly and taking an age to charge. Not even fully charging over night.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Dont know about the not charging but i've definitely noticed the battery levels falling a lot quicker in the last few weeks. I changed my weather detection settings to try offset it and it seems to of helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Finally gave up on stock Lollipop last night, and put a version of Cyanogen on it instead, it's working so much better, no annoying lags on apps opening and switching screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Is the newer One M8s any good? It's free on my upgrade and I'm not too fussed about having the latest or greatest anymore.

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    Is the newer One M8s any good? It's free on my upgrade and I'm not too fussed about having the latest or greatest anymore.

Are you asking about the M8 ? or M9 which is their latest phone

• Registered Users Posts: 8 razzala

Got the M8s last week, happy with it having come from a M7. Don't see any problems with as yet, comes with only 16Gb so you'll need a SD card to expand the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

threein99 wrote: »
    Are you asking about the M8 ? or M9 which is their latest phone

http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/htc-one-m8s-bill-pay-grey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

The difference between the two;

Design and build: The same

The M8s and the M8 share the same design. That means you get the full metal unibody, with that lovely comfortable feel in the hand, one of the best pieces of smartphone design we've seen. It also comes in the same colours - gunmetal grey, silver and gold.

The M8s appears identical to the M8. If you're trying to pass off a cheaper handset as the more expensive, then you'll get away with it. We've spotted that the M8s is 146.41 x 70.61 x 9.55mm, fractionally larger than the 146.36 x 70.6 x 9.35 mm. The weight is the same at 160g.

Internals: M8s is 64-bit, larger battery

The HTC One M8s has a 64-bit octo-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 chipset with 2GB of RAM. The original HTC One M8 had a quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 chipset with 2GB of RAM.

The newer model has newer hardware. The 615 is an octo-core chipset and is 64-bit compatible, so should offer greater efficiencies in power use, even if it's not as high level as the 801. It's designed for the mid-range, but is a solid performer.

The HTC One M8s has a 2840mAh battery, an increase in capacity over the 2600mAh of the M8. That should lead to slightly better endurance, but much will come down to how the hardware performs.

Display: Glory all round

The HTC One M8s offers the same size and the same resolution at 1920 x 1080 pixels, 440ppi.

Cameras: 13-megapixel step-up

The HTC One M8's biggest downfall was the camera. It introduced the Duo Camera setup with two lenses, using the UltraPixel 4MP sensor to capture images.

The new HTC One M8s swaps the UltraPixel sensor for a regular 13-megapixel sensor, but keeps the Duo Camera arrangement. That means it should offer all the innovative functions of the M8, without the limit on resolution.

The UltraPixel was a pretty good low light performer and the M8s will potentially lose this - it really comes down to how the 13MP sensor is handled. For some, the increased resolution will be a bonus. Sadly neither offers 4K video capture.

The front camera on both is the same at 5 megapixels.

Software: Lollipop at launch

The HTC One M8s launches with Android 5 Lollipop and HTC Sense 6. Although you're getting the latest from Android, you're not getting Sense 7 which launched on the M9.

The HTC One M8 launched originally on KitKat, but was subsequently updated to Lollipop in early 2015.

Price: One M8s is cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Has anyone had a screen replaced by HTC? Does warranty still stand if they replace it or do out of warranty repairs cancel the two year guarantee?

Ball park figure would be nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,041 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Has anyone had a screen replaced by HTC? Does warranty still stand if they replace it or do out of warranty repairs cancel the two year guarantee?

Ball park figure would be nice.
    Cist me 150. No idea on warranty.

Anyone else find it odd that you can't buy custom printed HTC Dot View cases? I assume HTC have it locked down that only they can make the case, but surprised anyway. Would have thought we'd be able to get custom jobs done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Anybodys notification light stopped flashing,comes on when charging ok but no flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

Any Blinkeed users out there.
    Personally I dont mind blinkfeed. Can be useful sometimes for a selection of news.
    Having problems with it though that it is only showing Twitter and LinkedIn updates.
    Have previously subscribed to sports and general news but these feeds cant be saved.
    Anybody having any issues or am I missing something.
    Swipe right and click the plus and add what you want but its not being saved ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I use it quite a bit. Recently started adding specific topic threads... Great for 'library' material...

Trying to restore my M8 to stock ROM from Cyanogen Rom nightly builds, my head is melted trying to get it restored, nothing works from any guides, the most irritating problem is when when ever I type in fastboot reboot-bootloader, it gets stuck on a <waiting for device> message. I have reinstalled drivers and all the usual things but nothing works

Trying to restore my M8 to stock ROM from Cyanogen Rom nightly builds, my head is melted trying to get it restored, nothing works from any guides, the most irritating problem is when when ever I type in fastboot reboot-bootloader, it gets stuck on a <waiting for device> message. I have reinstalled drivers and all the usual things but nothing works

Are you actually in bootloader when running that command? I think if you have an adb connection, you can go adb reboot-bootloader

Basil3 wrote: »
    Are you actually in bootloader when running that command? I think if you have an adb connection, you can go adb reboot-bootloader

That seems to have been it, cheers, I go so long inbetween flashing roms I forget the steps

Anyone have the slight issue with the 4G symbol not appearing ? I'm in a 4G area and getting 4G speeds, but the symbol stays on H or H+

Anyone have the slight issue with the 4G symbol not appearing ? I'm in a 4G area and getting 4G speeds, but the symbol stays on H or H+

What speeds are you getting? I wasn't getting 4g from Vodafone for a while, something they has changed on my account that needed to be changed back.

Barring this, are you on a custom ROM? Could be a ROM issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Are you sure you're in a 4G area getting 4G speeds? 4G is patchy enough outside urban areas.

Have you ever seen a 4G icon (or LTE for some ROMs)?

• Advertisement

For the record, I get 4G icon in most of Dublin, with approx 40Mb/s down. I also get 4G+ in more central areas, with 80Mb/s down. This is on Vodafone with viper custom ROM.

Are you sure you're in a 4G area getting 4G speeds? 4G is patchy enough outside urban areas.

Have you ever seen a 4G icon (or LTE for some ROMs)?

I was on a custom ROM but just moved back to stock, I'm getting 15 meg download speed, that's in Damastown, but I live in Ashtown.

I was on a custom ROM but just moved back to stock, I'm getting 15 meg download speed, that's in Damastown, but I live in Ashtown.

I wouldn't say that's 4g speeds.

Edit: Just forced my phone into 3g only mode, and I get 15Mb/s down

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Digidol

What's the general census regarding updating the M8 to Lollipop? I've held off until now because of negative reports of disapproved battery life, general bugs and performance issues. Also I've read that the M8 will skip the Lollipop 5.1.1 update which addresses these issues, and jump to Marshmallow, so am I better off just waiting for that?

I just switched to Vodafone ready to go on the Data Extra plan, that doesn't sound like I am getting 4G so, I will check it out with them.

Edit: Just forced my phone into 3g only mode, and I get 15Mb/s down

Definitely sounds like I am not on 4G so, I will chase that up

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Digidol wrote: »
    What's the general census regarding updating the M8 to Lollipop? I've held off until now because of negative reports of disapproved battery life, general bugs and performance issues. Also I've read that the M8 will skip the Lollipop 5.1.1 update which addresses these issues, and jump to Marshmallow, so am I better off just waiting for that?

I'm on Lollipop (on Three update) since it launched. I noticed a big improvement on battery life. Generally I get about the same on normal settings now as I used to before Lollipop with the basic battery saver enabled.

I've not had any issues with Lollipop. That said, I don't really notice much of a difference in the 'OS' itself -and the main new feature I was expecting ("Profiles") doesn't seem to exist ...from Three at least.

Does anyone have the ability to switch Profiles using the M8 on Lollipop? If so, which network/ OS source are you with?

Does anyone have the ability to switch Profiles using the M8 on Lollipop? If so, which network/ OS source are you with?

I have Profiles in ViperOneM8 (a custom ROM on 5.0.2).
    Network is Vodafone, but I don't think that's a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

I have Profiles in ViperOneM8 (a custom ROM on 5.0.2).
    Network is Vodafone, but I don't think that's a factor.

I suspect Three disabled it. I wonder if the other networks did too. Not sure why.

I do have root. I might add a custom rom at some stage. I can't think of much I'm missing though. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

I do have root. I might add a custom rom at some stage. I can't think of much I'm missing though. Any suggestions?

Ah not really. I think root is overrated. Useful for tools like Titanium backup and Wakelock Detector, but I don't use it for much more than that.

Custom ROMs do have their benefits though - they tend to be more optimised than stock roms, and you can get rid of all the bloatware from the operators.

Advertisement