Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Digidol

OK so I took the plunge and eventually upgraded my M8 to Lollipop 5.0.1, my initial reaction is not a good one. Battery life seems to have dis-improved and WiFi connection also. My biggest grievance is Viber notifications not working properly which was already mentioned in the thread, has a solution for this been identified? It's probably my most used app on the phone so it's really bugging me!

I'm seriously considering rolling back to KitKat 4.4.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Got an OTA update (on o2 in the UK, stock ROM) the other day and it's wanting to be installed on my rooted M8. Couldn't be arsed unrooting and rerooting. I'll get around to it eventually but I wish the notification would go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Digidol wrote: »
    OK so I took the plunge and eventually upgraded my M8 to Lollipop 5.0.1, my initial reaction is not a good one. Battery life seems to have dis-improved and WiFi connection also. My biggest grievance is Viber notifications not working properly which was already mentioned in the thread, has a solution for this been identified? It's probably my most used app on the phone so it's really bugging me!

I'm seriously considering rolling back to KitKat 4.4.2.

I'm on Lollipop since it came out. I used to use the (standard) battery saver to get around 1.5 days out of it ...sometimes 2 days if I don't do much with it.

Since updating I don't think I've used the power saver and it gets about the same. Actually I think I did have that on for a while but didn't see much difference so removed it because the constant notification was annoying.

I use Viber and don't have an issue. Viber is notoriously unreliable for getting messages. It's not as automatically instant as whatsapp, I'm sure you know. I get messages on my M8 around the same time as I get them on the Viber desktop program.

Could it be something else that maybe you installed recently is causing the problem?

I use Viber and don't have an issue. Viber is notoriously unreliable for getting messages. It's not as automatically instant as whatsapp, I'm sure you know. I get messages on my M8 around the same time as I get them on the Viber desktop program.

Could it be something else that maybe you installed recently is causing the problem?

Thanks for your reply! Im not getting the new 'heads up' notification on Viber like I do on all other apps (see pic below), just the little Viber icon appears in the top left corner of the screen, are you getting it on yours?

heads-up-lollipop1.jpg

Thanks for your reply! Im not getting the new 'heads up' notification on Viber like I do on all other apps (see pic below), just the little Viber icon appears in the top left corner of the screen, are you getting it on yours?

heads-up-lollipop1.jpg

What is that a photo of? It looks like an alarm notification?

Anyway, my viber notifications look like this if the screen is on when it comes in...

2015-09-10 16.23.15 (Small).png

And if the phone is off when the notification comes in it looks like this when I turn it on...

2015-09-10 16.23.39 (Small).png

...And for the record, my battery was charged overnight. I made/ received maybe 8 or 9 phonecalls today, I played some music for half an hour or so (more I'd say) while I was cutting the grass, I connected it to a quadcopter and flew around the garden for around 15 minutes (using wifi to receive video to the phone via DJI app). My battery, as you see in those photos is currently 84%, which even I find a bit hard to believe. How can it be that good!?

So I'm guessing you have something else draining your battery -or I guess possibly an issue with your phone itself. If you can rule out other apps I'd say think about doing a factory reset and/or reinstalling Lollipop. I have found the battery to be excellent since updating.

• Advertisement

What is that a photo of? It looks like an alarm notification?

That was just a sample notification of the 'heads up' I wanted to show you, I get them for all applications (WhatsApp, Snapchat etc.) but they don't seem to work for Viber. I just get the little Viber logo in the top right. I have the popup window that you showed for Viber turned off as it's a bit intrusive for my liking. I much preffered the 'ticker' notification on KitKat to the new 'heads up' one. This is an example of a Snapchat one on my phone (which I don't receive on Viber);

adeoec.jpg
    So I'm guessing you have something else draining your battery -or I guess possibly an issue with your phone itself. If you can rule out other apps I'd say think about doing a factory reset and/or reinstalling Lollipop. I have found the battery to be excellent since updating.

My battery isn't draining, I've just found I'm down to a lower percentage most nights compared to what I normally get. I always leave GPS and Bluetooth off, just Wifi or Mobile Data is left on.

I think that's the notification I get when the screen is off while it comes in. When it's on I get the other 'big' one.

I dunno if you can just switch off the big one, but I'm guessing it's a Viber issue (with Lollipop) rather than to do with the M8.

I think that's the notification I get when the screen is off while it comes in. When it's on I get the other 'big' one.

I dunno if you can just switch off the big one, but I'm guessing it's a Viber issue (with Lollipop) rather than to do with the M8.

OK so I have it fixed! Found a lovely little app in the Play Store called Heads Off, it disables the new Lollipop 'heads up' notification and allows you to use the ticker notification similar to KitKat. My Viber notifications seem to be working again with this :)

Also another solution to a little annoyance of mine, the new tabs feature in Chrome can be reverted back to the old style by pressing the 3 little dots on the top right of Chrome, then settings, then deselecting 'merge tabs and apps', this will move the tab switcher to back inside Chrome and not mix it in with your open applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Having Wi-fi issues with the 5.0.1 update. For some strange reason it won't connect to the wifi network (states authentication problem) but If I connect my Macbook to the network, it then joins seconds later?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anybody having issues with Chrome? About once a week it just freezes, can't do anything, have to uninstall and reinstall it

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Anybody having issues with Chrome? About once a week it just freezes, can't do anything, have to uninstall and reinstall it

I use it several times daily on my M8 and have never experienced what you describe. There must be something else going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

What prices are people paying for screen repair?

Has it come down any bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Kevin! wrote: »
    Having Wi-fi issues with the 5.0.1 update. For some strange reason it won't connect to the wifi network (states authentication problem) but If I connect my Macbook to the network, it then joins seconds later?
    Strange I noticed WiFi connection issues also since I updated to lollipop. Not sure what the problem is but it's starting to really bug me. Same issue where it will not connect sometime to WiFi in my sister's house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I think Lollipop really messed up Wifi connections in general, I also have a problem with it sometimes. It's not just the M8 either according to a Google search.

Hopefully Marshmallow will fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I think Lollipop really messed up Wifi connections in general, I also have a problem with it sometimes. It's not just the M8 either according to a Google search.

Hopefully Marshmallow will fix it.

also wifi issues here...
    it doesnt like connect automatically to older wifi routers (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Well let's hope when the update becomes available the issue will be sorted out as its getting to be a pain in the butt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Anyone else noticed the following: if i'm looking at an mainly white screen like a web page with text there is a part of the screen that's slightly yellow on the left side of the phone. It's only noticeable when it's a mainly white screen any other colour and it becomes invisible.

It definitely hasn't always been there i was thinking it was something to do with overheating but i dont know. I was wondering has anyone else noticed anything similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ah so I'm not the only one with Wifi connectivity issues! That's almost a relief...

From what I've heard about WiFi issues, it's usually to do with the frequency. Using a 2.4GHz connection should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

jones wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed the following: if i'm looking at an mainly white screen like a web page with text there is a part of the screen that's slightly yellow on the left side of the phone. It's only noticeable when it's a mainly white screen any other colour and it becomes invisible.

It definitely hasn't always been there i was thinking it was something to do with overheating but i dont know. I was wondering has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Did you maybe apply pressure on it at one time ? Or maybe the backlight of the screen is broken in that spot...

Not much that can be done about that I'm afraid, bar replacing the screen which is ludicrously expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Did you maybe apply pressure on it at one time ? Or maybe the backlight of the screen is broken in that spot...

Not much that can be done about that I'm afraid, bar replacing the screen which is ludicrously expensive.

No i'm pretty careful with all my phones to be fair. I don't know why but i have it in my head that its something to do with overheating. Its not even a major issue its just slightly yellow in that particular area and is only visible on all white background. I wont be replacing the screen. I'm actually giving it to my other half as i just ordered Samsung s6 edge but just wondering did anyone else come accross this issue

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Basil3 wrote: »
    From what I've heard about WiFi issues, it's usually to do with the frequency. Using a 2.4GHz connection should be fine.

I'm on 2.4ghz and this issue is just getting worse!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm on 2.4ghz and this issue is just getting worse!

Ok, weird. I know a few guys that had issues with 5ghz, and switching back to 2.4 helped.

I also know that people had issues connecting to WiFi if they had too many saved networks.

Ok guys, a strange issue has popped up on my M8 :(

When I'm on phone call, people on the other end are reporting that my end is going completely silent and they can't hear me every couple of seconds. I can hear them no problem the whole time but they can't hear me intermittently.

What's strange is that If I put the phone on loud speaker the issue doesn't seem to exist and it works normally. However if I use headphones with a mic the issue returns again.

It doesn't seem to be hardware problem with the mic as I can record voice memos without any problems, so it would appear to be a software/network issue?

Has anyone encountered this before or have any ideas?

Ok guys, a strange issue has popped up on my M8 :(

When I'm on phone call, people on the other end are reporting that my end is going completely silent and they can't hear me every couple of seconds. I can hear them no problem the whole time but they can't hear me intermittently.

What's strange is that If I put the phone on loud speaker the issue doesn't seem to exist and it works normally. However if I use headphones with a mic the issue returns again.

It doesn't seem to be hardware problem with the mic as I can record voice memos without any problems, so it would appear to be a software/network issue?

Has anyone encountered this before or have any ideas?

That kind of issue has popped up in the past, and has been linked to Google Chrome and/or Google Play services. Haven't heard of the issue recently though.

Basil3 wrote: »
    That kind of issue has popped up in the past, and has been linked to Google Chrome and/or Google Play services. Haven't heard of the issue recently though.

Thanks for the info! Any idea on what I could do to resolve it, disable those services or delete updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Thanks for the info! Any idea on what I could do to resolve it, disable those services or delete updates?

I had this issue some 2 months after I bought my phone last hear. It is the microphone I am afraid. I had to send mine back twice and the second time they gave me a replacement phone - hardware failure was cited as the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

Have you dropped your phone?

I dropped mine, broke the screen and got it fixed locally. The microphone is done however and I'm not sure if it was the drop or the screen fix.

steve_r wrote: »
    Have you dropped your phone?

I dropped mine, broke the screen and got it fixed locally. The microphone is done however and I'm not sure if it was the drop or the screen fix.

The phone hasn't been dropped at all, it's in perfect condition since I bought it!

• Advertisement

Uriel. wrote: »
    I had this issue some 2 months after I bought my phone last hear. It is the microphone I am afraid. I had to send mine back twice and the second time they gave me a replacement phone - hardware failure was cited as the problem.

Strange though as it works fine through speakerphone, and I can record voice memos without any problems with the mic?

Advertisement