Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC One (M8) Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Basil3 wrote: »
    You tried the other app i said, AirPush Detector? That checks apps that communicate with ad servers

Yeah I used that but it came up clear :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

CM Security and AddonDetector are 2 I was recommended on here before, worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Installed GPE (Lollipop) last night. Surprisingly painless. It's like a new phone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Mr E wrote: »
    Installed GPE (Lollipop) last night. Surprisingly painless. It's like a new phone. :)
    What did you do about stuff that was on the phone before? I'm considering it myself but losing the stuff i have on the phone is putting me off

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It will wipe your internal SD card only, so just copy the contents to your PC first.

I had a few games on my phone where I didn't want to lose my progress, so I used titanium backup to back those up. They all restored fine afterwards.

Use SMS backup and restore to backup your messages.

Everything else for me was in the cloud, so it synced back up when I logged back in afterwards (contacts, Dropbox, etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

What earphones are people using with this? I'm not a fan of the ones that came with it, I'm an old school earphone fan. Anyone got any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

Keano wrote: »
    What earphones are people using with this? I'm not a fan of the ones that came with it, I'm an old school earphone fan. Anyone got any suggestions?

Bose in ear .. eye wateringly expensive but worth it.
    if you break them they'll either replace or give you 50% news pair..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭micks_address

Keano wrote: »

Sennheiser ie80s awesome sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

Got an M8 two weeks ago as a replacement for my M7 and the battery life is gone bad any one with the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Cant say I have! How long is it lasting?

• Advertisement

Yesterday it was practically gone by 5 after unplugging at 7,got a couple of sw updates since I got it don't know are they affecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

ofcork wrote: »
    Yesterday it was practically gone by 5 after unplugging at 7,got a couple of sw updates since I got it don't know are they affecting it.

Have you got the RTE news app. This was eating my battery a few months back and last I checked it hadn't been updated.

I have actually might uninstall it so and see will it make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

ofcork wrote: »
    I have actually might uninstall it so and see will it make a difference.

Have a look at the power option in your settings. It'll tell you what's doing what. For me RTE was using a lot of battery when the screen was off.

Just checked there and rte app using 41% battery thanks will definitely uninstall it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Having an issue with my One M8. Been working perfect since I got it. Woke up this morning and browsed boards for a bit, checked mail etc and put the phone down. Went to check the phone a while later and it was off (was on ~50% battery when I left it) Plugged it in and the indicator light doesn't light up to indicate it's charging and the phone won't turn on, also wont do a hard reset using the volume & power button.

Phone was sim free and running latest software. I did drop the phone a few months back, and the volume button is a little bent, but this never had any effect on the usage of the phone (until now, if this is possibly the cause)

Anyone have any ideas?

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Having an issue with my One M8. Been working perfect since I got it. Woke up this morning and browsed boards for a bit, checked mail etc and put the phone down. Went to check the phone a while later and it was off (was on ~50% battery when I left it) Plugged it in and the indicator light doesn't light up to indicate it's charging and the phone won't turn on, also wont do a hard reset using the volume & power button.

Phone was sim free and running latest software. I did drop the phone a few months back, and the volume button is a little bent, but this never had any effect on the usage of the phone (until now, if this is possibly the cause)

Anyone have any ideas?

How long did you leave it plugged in for? Sometimes it can take a while to start charging if it's completely drained. Doesn't solve the issue of what killed your battery, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Been plugged in for over an hour now, and still no light showing and won't turn on :(

EDIT: Held down the power button and Volume Up and it powered up. When it did power up, it prompted me to send an error report to HTC. It seems the phone got stuck in debug mode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Try a different charger and USB cable. They're notorious for just failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

For anyone who's interested, I've just sent my *second* M8 back to repair (via O2). My first had an issue with the microphone failing. My second now has a misaligned Duo camera: every time I open the camera app, I get told the Duo camera is blocked. When you inspect it, you can see it's physically "pointing" slightly off in the housing. It was like that since I received the handset (which was a replacement for the handset with the dead mic) and I was happy enough to put up with it, but now that same handset has a screen that is dying a death. Flickering pixels, half the screen goes dark and so forth. Definitely a loose connection somehwere since I can recreate it with just a little pressure in the case.

Phone has never been dropped and has been in an Otterbox since the instant I received it. All that being said *and* factoring in the stupidly long time it takes to get the phone assessed and replaced via O2 (14 days), I will still be sticking with it because, apart from all the hardware issues I've seen, I love the phone itself. I'm also upgrading in the next couple of months, perhaps to an M9 whenever it may arrive, so I don't mind the "risk".

• Advertisement

WetDaddy wrote: »
    For anyone who's interested, I've just sent my *second* M8 back to repair (via O2). My first had an issue with the microphone failing. My second now has a misaligned Duo camera: every time I open the camera app, I get told the Duo camera is blocked. When you inspect it, you can see it's physically "pointing" slightly off in the housing. It was like that since I received the handset (which was a replacement for the handset with the dead mic) and I was happy enough to put up with it, but now that same handset has a screen that is dying a death. Flickering pixels, half the screen goes dark and so forth. Definitely a loose connection somehwere since I can recreate it with just a little pressure in the case.

Phone has never been dropped and has been in an Otterbox since the instant I received it. All that being said *and* factoring in the stupidly long time it takes to get the phone assessed and replaced via O2 (14 days), I will still be sticking with it because, apart from all the hardware issues I've seen, I love the phone itself. I'm also upgrading in the next couple of months, perhaps to an M9 whenever it may arrive, so I don't mind the "risk".

Seems some people are just unlucky. I think this is my 8th or 9th HTC, the only one I ever had an issue was with the Hero, and I generally get the first batch on release day, which can tend to have issues.

That said, I know a fair few people who have returned. You would expect them to be perfect, considering what they cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Seems some people are just unlucky. I think this is my 8th or 9th HTC, the only one I ever had an issue was with the Hero, and I generally get the first batch on release day, which can tend to have issues.

That said, I know a fair few people who have returned. You would expect them to be perfect, considering what they cost!

yeah unfortunately i had to get a replacement after about 12 weeks due to the mic fault. new unit has been grand so far though.. 7 months later touch wood.

Lollipop update has been pushed out to dev devices today. Those who are rooted can expect custom ROMs pretty soon.

I've been running Sense Lollipop the last few days, and it is nothing different really. Updated quick settings, notifications, and recent apps, but other than that, it's much the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Thanks for the update. So my sim free unlocked M8 should be receiving it over the coming days... Although I'll be replacing my M8 with either the latest HTC, Sony Z4 or S6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Anyone got a screen replaced yet, I broke mine today.

In cork if you have locations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

corkgsxr wrote: »
    Anyone got a screen replaced yet, I broke mine today.

In cork if you have locations

Any of the phone shops littered around Cork would do it I'd imagine. Or, buy the parts and fix it yourself for much cheaper. Be wary of cheap parts being used by some phone shops however. The glass screen especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Apparently it's very easy to do damage to them in the process.

It's done from the back so everything gets stripped out

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭1jcdub

Your better to send or back to HTC. Apparently it's not an easy job to do when for local repair shops. I believe HTC give a replacement instead...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Tony H

HTC themselves is the better option thread here on xda might help

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2742454

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Has anyone has a problem with the headphone socket on the M8? I am now unable to use my headphones as they no longer remain fully inserted, I have to keep them firmly pushed in by hand to get my headphones to work.

Advertisement