Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dallas Cowboys Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

DvB wrote: »
    I'm going out on a limb & saying I expect us to make the playoffs, anything less than that would be incredibly disappointing, though I'll fear it just a little bit as well (What Cowboys fan doesn't) purely because, as you point out, Zeke & Dak could have second season syndrome & struggle, though I have a hunch they wont, I can see their numbers being lower but overall can see the offence perform better overall, if thta makes sense. Expecting a big season from Dez as well.

Call it blind faith but i think they'll all have better numbers and Dez will be even better as he'll be injury free and have had an off season to develop a relationship with Dak. I think Zeke could go for 2k+, Dak 3.5k + and Dez to have a 1,500 yard year. Now that is all based on no injuries and the O-line being as good as it has been. With Collins in for Leary and Doug Free not officially retired, and Bell and cooper as options along the line we should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭DvB

brinty wrote: »
    Call it blind faith but i think they'll all have better numbers and Dez will be even better as he'll be injury free and have had an off season to develop a relationship with Dak. I think Zeke could go for 2k+, Dak 3.5k + and Dez to have a 1,500 yard year. Now that is all based on no injuries and the O-line being as good as it has been. With Collins in for Leary and Doug Free not officially retired, and Bell and cooper as options along the line we should be fine

When you put it like that... :D Superbowl!!!!

All kidding aside, NFC East first, hate the idea of any of them beating us to the divisional title and then take it one game at a time. A lot will depend on what kind of defence is put together and how quickly they can gel as a unit.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

When you put it like that... :D Superbowl!!!!

All kidding aside, NFC East first, hate the idea of any of them beating us to the divisional title and then take it one game at a time. A lot will depend on what kind of defence is put together and how quickly they can gel as a unit.

Yea, i'll take a retention of the NFC east and then win a playoff game. If we could get to the NFC title game, that would be really nice.

I think the defence gelling would be great, we're looking at a new secondary which should hopefully be more athletic and around the ball. Linebackers should be ok and if Jaylon is fit that helps improves the unit. the defensive front should help and a new shiny edge rusher as long as an improved David Irving and Maliek collins should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SnakeHetfield

Call it blind faith but i think they'll all have better numbers and Dez will be even better as he'll be injury free and have had an off season to develop a relationship with Dak.

I agree, I think Dez actually got better as the season progressed, plus I think Prescott developed a great chemistry with Beasley who impressed the hell out of me. If the two of them perform well, with Beasley acting as a slot reciever and Bryant as a vertical threat with Witten as an all round top class TE we could have a serious receiving core to work with

I agree, I think Dez actually got better as the season progressed, plus I think Prescott developed a great chemistry with Beasley who impressed the hell out of me. If the two of them perform well, with Beasley acting as a slot reciever and Bryant as a vertical threat with Witten as an all round top class TE we could have a serious receiving core to work with

Add in Williams if he starts catching the bleeping ball and a WR in the upcoming draft and we could be up there with the falcons receiving corp

• Advertisement

And so the day has come to pass
    Tony Romo has hung up his cleats for a microphone and I would like to wish him the best of luck in his retirement
    Tony owes this franchise nothing and dragged teams through single handed at times. He goes with the best wishes and fondness of all in the cowboys nation and we look forward to his analysis in replacing Phil Simms.

And so the day has come to pass
    Tony Romo has hung up his cleats for a microphone and I would like to wish him the best of luck in his retirement
    Tony owes this franchise nothing and dragged teams through single handed at times. He goes with the best wishes and fondness of all in the cowboys nation and we look forward to his analysis in replacing Phil Simms.

Couldn't imagine him playing for anyone else, he obviously felt the same.

One of the greatest ever Cowboys, shame he never got to win the big one.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I was in wembley in 2014 when Tony sliced through the jags for fun.

I was in Texas in 2015 when Tony injured his collarbone for the second time.

I was in Philadelphia on new years day when Tony played his last ever set of downs for the Cowboys and threw his last NFL touchdown against the Eagles.

Thank you Tony for being responsible for some of the highest highs and lowest lows I've experienced since i started re-watching football 12 years ago. I'm glad he got to go out on a good note.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I was in wembley in 2014 when Tony sliced through the jags for fun.

I was in Texas in 2015 when Tony injured his collarbone for the second time.

I was in Philadelphia on new years day when Tony played his last ever set of downs for the Cowboys and threw his last NFL touchdown against the Eagles.

Thank you Tony for being responsible for some of the highest highs and lowest lows I've experienced since i started re-watching football 12 years ago. I'm glad he got to go out on a good note.

I'm jealous, and welcome aboard the thread, a couple of extra bodies are always welcome ;)

I too only restarted watching properly three years ago so never really knew Tony but having read through several books etc i've learned of the struggles he went through and how he dragged them through seasons on his own at times. For me he'll never be Troy Aikman (best QB ever imo) but considering where he came from you can't doubt Tony and what he has done.

I'm jealous, and welcome aboard the thread, a couple of extra bodies are always welcome ;)

Absolutely... was a bit of a two horse town for a long stretch!!

The more the merrier AFAIC.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Dezekota

Hey fellow cowboys,what all are ye making off the off season? Almost draft time and looking forward to it.

Zach Martin fifth year option taken up

Demarcus Ware resigns with Dallas cowboys for 1 day to retire as a cowboy...

I'm in pieces

Love that man

Dware

I'm in pieces

Love that man

Dware

Saw that being touted a few weeks back & dismissed it as fan wishful thinking... great to see it actually happened, DWare always was & always will be a Cowboy... easily one of my all time favourite players in the 30 odd years supporting the team.

I'm in pieces

Love that man

Dware
    Saw that being touted a few weeks back & dismissed it as fan wishful thinking... great to see it actually happened, DWare always was & always will be a Cowboy... easily one of my all time favourite players in the 30 odd years supporting the team.

Watched the press conference last night and DeMarcus, Coach Garrett, Mr Jones spoke so well of his career as a cowboy.

Dezekota wrote: »
    Watched the press conference last night and DeMarcus, Coach Garrett, Mr Jones spoke so well of his career as a cowboy.

Just a shame he never won a SB as a Cowboy.

Just a shame he never won a SB as a Cowboy.

He will for sure, he'll come out of retirement for us and make the game winning play in super bowl 52

So.... Taco Charlton, DE from Michigan... not gonna lie, I know not a jot about him as the mock drafts were all utter rubbish (as usual) so never looked at him.

So.... Taco Charlton, DE from Michigan... not gonna lie, I know not a jot about him as the mock drafts were all utter rubbish (as usual) so never looked at him.

I was aware of him late in the college season, numbers stacked up from October. I know people are not overly happy (some wanted Watt at DE) and others wanted a CB (Keving King) but we need to improve the front seven and I think Taco will improve significantly by the end of 2017. Our D line is all about rotation so giving Rod Marinelli another piece to go with David Irving, Moore, Collins and Char;es Tapper redshirting his rookie year we could be surprised at what happens by close of season

The 2nd and third rounds have to be defensive backs for me. Corner and safety are needed. I'd love for Cordrea Tankersley or Desmond king at 60 and Marcus Williams if he falls to 92, i knw its unlikely.

I wanted Takk McKinley and the fact he fell to two places from us was slightly disappointing, but he's redshirting half of 17 and starting on PUP so maybe Taco was the best chocie.

DvB wrote:

Hmmmm not sure about that pick,Kevin King would've been nice

Trades around us and we didn't make one

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Joe Mixon

I liked Charlton at Michigan, He is a quality pass rushing Defensive end. But I can never support him again. I despise the Cowboys.

Joe Mixon wrote:
    I liked Charlton at Michigan, He is a quality pass rushing Defensive end. But I can never support him again. I despise the Cowboys.

Funny I feel the exact same about Joe mixon and the Bengals...

• Registered Users Posts: 25 fanatics2014

Number 97,Charlton.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SnakeHetfield

Was certain it was going to be a CB but I think the top 3 picks were good overall

Number 97,Charlton.

Welcome along sir, yep ~97 Charlton - good to see he's take a proper D line number
    Was certain it was going to be a CB but I think the top 3 picks were good overall

No an edge was always the choice as if they'd waited to 60 you'd maybe get 15th to 18th best edge whereas corner you were getting a top 8-10 choice.

I'm just surprised it was Charlton and not Watt. But Watt was an OLB in a 3-4 system whereas Taco was an edge in a 4-3 so was far more suitable. I remember seeing him in the Ohio Michigan game and he got after JT Barrett for sacks, QB pressures, pass break ups. Look forwards to that at the next level..

So with 9 draft picks and 14 UDFA sign ups what does everyone think??

hey there to my fellow cowboys fans, hope you're looking forward to practice camp and 5 preseason games and the upcoming season.

Just wanted to drop yer a wee note in case any of you are looking for some memorabilia. Guy in the UK has some game worn jerseys and cleats and 4 signed Demarco Murray jerseys with certs of authenticity if anyone is interested. Its all genuine and above board stuff so if you've any questions or interest let me know and i'll put ye in touch with them.

The cowboys doing cowboy things over the weekend..
    Traded for two players over the weekend and created a wee bit of history in the process.
    Bene Benwikere - for a conditional 2018 sixth and in doing so Jerry Jones has now completed a trade with each of the 31 teams in the NFL. He was part of their initial 53 man squad on Saturday
    Jayrone Elliott - for a conditional 2019 pick
    Also picked up Brian Price off waivers from the Packers.
    In doing this the cowboys cut Cedric Thornton and Mark Nzeocha who were on their 53 man squad on Saturday.

Thornton counts as a $3m hit against this years cap which is a bit of a surprise but the Cowboys did have space.

Funny story about the Thornton, I got game worn cleats this off season from a Cowboys kit guy. Sean lee and Barry Church cleats. As an added bonus and unknown to me the guy also threw in a pair of game worn gloves from Thornton in with them. I was thinking hmmm he has very small hands cos they fit me very snugly and I'm not exactly a 270+lb D line man....

@ Brinty

How you feeling for the season?

First game nerves v the jammy Giants are par for the course but hopeful we can at least go 11-5, another 13-3 is a big ask in what should be an improved division & a tough schedule though.
    A solid start & anythng could happen, a poor start & the fully expected second season syndrome for Dak & Zeke headlines will appear everywhere, but I have confidence that both will have solid second seasons.

Get into the playoffs & take it from there...

• Advertisement

@ Brinty

How you feeling for the season?

First game nerves v the jammy Giants are par for the course but hopeful we can at least go 11-5, another 13-3 is a big ask in what should be an improved division & a tough schedule though.
    A solid start & anythng could happen, a poor start & the fully expected second season syndrome for Dak & Zeke headlines will appear everywhere, but I have confidence that both will have solid second seasons.

Get into the playoffs & take it from there...

I feel positive tbh sir.
    Offensively we're in great shape and should score a lot its keeping the defensive mantra of bend not break that will decide how we do.
    I think we're going to beat the giants on Sunday and should get between 10 and 12 wins for a playoff berth. And if we could get to the NFC championship game i'd be happy.

Advertisement