Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dallas Cowboys Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Well, that wasn't bad was it? Offence looked dynamic, original, even inventive at times, Don't know if linehan was calling plays to save his job or not, but if we can keep that up I won't complain.

I love our d at the moment, so if the offence can step up so they don't run themselves into the ground, that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I genuinely dont know whats left to say about this team. Its clear that the team will never challenge for a conference or SB under the current regime & with Daks big money contract on the horizon we really need to sit down & assess where the hell we're going in the next 4-5 years and formulate a plan... does Dak deserve a shot under a new head coach or do we write him off & go look for our next franchise QB? At the moment we're limping from week to week & Jaguars result aside look a poor team losing confidence by the bucketload.

Season is done in terms of playoffs & Garret & Linehan should really pay for the mess we've seen so far this year.

Surely Jerry Jones must be going nuts at what he's watching week in week out.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    I genuinely dont know whats left to say about this team. Its clear that the team will never challenge for a conference or SB under the current regime & with Daks big money contract on the horizon we really need to sit down & assess where the hell we're going in the next 4-5 years and formulate a plan... does Dak deserve a shot under a new head coach or do we write him off & go look for our next franchise QB? At the moment we're limping from week to week & Jaguars result aside look a poor team losing confidence by the bucketload.

Season is done in terms of playoffs & Garret & Linehan should really pay for the mess we've seen so far this year.

Surely Jerry Jones must be going nuts at what he's watching week in week out.

I like Dak more than most, but he has definitely suffered from not sitting under the learning tree for 2-3 seasons, his flaws are blatantly obvious and teams are going to keep exploiting that.

Best case scenario I can think of right now is that Dak gets an extension as back up QB (don't think anyone else would take him as qb1) and we try get an experienced QB for two years. (No idea who though) Garrett and linehan both get the boot from their jobs, but I'd be okay with JG as QB coach, I seem to recall Tony Romo saying he was a fantastic man motivator, so maybe he would shine in that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

Great to be back In the playoffs considering the team looked to be in freefall at 3-5 just a few weeks ago. I think a good performance and a win is still needed against the giants just to get some momentum going into the wildcard round as the team was mediocre against Tampa and the colts game was a disaster.Still though Good to have homefield advantage likely against Seattle which I see as a real 50/50 battle.

I look back at my earlier posts for the season & am delighted I was proven wrong. at 3-5 a 10-6 & NFC East title season looked anything but possible but hey to be fair they turned it around. I'd still have little confidence in Linehan & feel Garret will never win a conference, let alone a SB, but at least the the team is looking more competitive, if we could just sort out or red zone failings we'd be a match for anyone.

Strongly suspect we'll be beaten by the hawks, but if we manage a win you just never know with this team.

FTR, the schedule for next season looks daunting! I couldn't have picked a tougher one.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Great win last night, I thought dak and the defence were excellent. Cant believe I'm saying this but I'm hoping for an eagles win tonight as I think we'd have a great shot against the rams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Hey all my Cowboys folks, hope you're all doing well. How you all feeling after the draft and heading into the preseason and training camp. Any of you here members of the UK Cowboys fan club. We've a facebook page, instagram, twitter, you tube etc. If you're interested in getting involved drop me a DM. We're doing some exciting things over there and I'll fill y'all in on it.

Great start to the season.

Dak wins week one MVP

roll on to the dead skins and hopefully another good result

Another solid win, offence has looked really good so far this season. The form of the defence is a little bit concerning as they haven't been able to replicate their performances from last year so far but it's still early doors.

Should be an easy win next week to go 3-0 and then we will see how good this team really is with back to back games against the Saints and Packers.

Miccoli wrote:
    Should be an easy win next week to go 3-0 and then we will see how good this team really is with back to back games against the Saints and Packers.

Dolphins game needs to be put to bed early, and given what's happened then in the last two games we should be looking for sacks, QB hits and pressures and take away. This should be the b have to kick start the defence. And bc Robert Quinn is off suspension.

Saints without Brees, whole different ball game.

Cobb will be out to show packers he's a losd to them. They aren't looking great offensively and letting Rodgers call his own plays is a risk.

• Advertisement

Kellen Moore and Jon kitna might be the key to this whole season, dak is obviously talented but he's a system QB, and these two guys have been around the organisation long enough to build a system around his strenghts.

Zeke still shaking off the rust but he's scoring so that's all good.

Jason witten is ageless.

If our D can click on all cylinders I think we're going to surprise a lot of people.......

hynesie08 wrote:
    Kellen Moore and Jon kitna might be the key to this whole season, dak is obviously talented but he's a system QB, and these two guys have been around the organisation long enough to build a system around his strenghts.

System QB... isn't every franchise QB a system QB who OC builds the attack around. Jon Kitna was coaching high school last year.

Talk about building us up just to let us down... I think its clear now that the team hasnt pushed on from last season & we just had a handy first 3 fixtures. Only for the fact the NFC East looks the weakest division in the NFL we'd be looking at zero chance of the play off's & TBH even allowing for the poor standard so far in the NFC East I'd be amazed if Garret can turn this mess around. In fact he's unlikely to get the chance as I suspect Jerry Jones is running out of patience & if he has any sense he'll give him the heave ho in the next few weeks.

Given our upcoming fixtures we could easily be staring down the barrel of 3-7 & that from a 3-0 start.... so frustrated & it feels like the season is over already.

Yeah hard to have much optimism for the rest of the season after last night's disaster. Defence looks among the worst in the league and the offence only seems to get going when there 20 points down.

I'd have to think garrets time is up now aswell, every good season he's had the following one has been poor/mediocre. Although I Still wouldn't be surprised if he managed to scrape a few wins together and keep his job as he did in 2017 and 2018.

Miccoli wrote: »
    Yeah hard to have much optimism for the rest of the season after last night's disaster. Defence looks among the worst in the league and the offence only seems to get going when there 20 points down.

I'd have to think garrets time is up now aswell, every good season he's had the following one has been poor/mediocre. Although I Still wouldn't be surprised if he managed to scrape a few wins together and keep his job as he did in 2017 and 2018.

Lose this weekend and I reckon that'll be that. He might see out the season but Jerry wont renew his contract, loyalty or not theres no way He'll get an extension unless this season is turned arund dramatically.

A win is a win but that was far from a convincing performance. The defense along with Elliot have regressed alarmingly this season. On a positive note though Dak was really good again as he has been all year.

Miccoli wrote: »
    A win is a win but that was far from a convincing performance. The defense along with Elliot have regressed alarmingly this season. On a positive note though Dak was really good again as he has been all year.

Defence was abysmal. There were times the lions strolled down the field with ease which was extremely worrying.

Only for Daks passing we'd have been goosed.

Not looking forward to next week & the Pats.

Defence is lacking a run stuffer, that leads to pressure on the line backers as running back get down hill on them.

Our corners are far too soft and give way to much respect. Project Chido has failed and that's not good. Only corners we have under contract for 2020 are Awuzie and Lewis so corner is a draft need. Jones hasn't earned a new contract in my eyes so I think he's going.

Safety is poor and Heath being out last night showed the lack of a leader there without him. I love Heath but he's not a starter in a side wanting Superbowls so we'll have to see what happens with him and safety is another draft need too. A first or second round need.

Hopefully if you fix those you're getting closer to an elite defence.

brinty wrote: »
    Defence is lacking a run stuffer, that leads to pressure on the line backers as running back get down hill on them.

Our corners are far too soft and give way to much respect. Project Chido has failed and that's not good. Only corners we have under contract for 2020 are Awuzie and Lewis so corner is a draft need. Jones hasn't earned a new contract in my eyes so I think he's going.

Safety is poor and Heath being out last night showed the lack of a leader there without him. I love Heath but he's not a starter in a side wanting Superbowls so we'll have to see what happens with him and safety is another draft need too. A first or second round need.

Hopefully if you fix those you're getting closer to an elite defence.

Hard to argue with any of that, we really are lacking a true defensive leader in the team, probably the hardest role of all to fill unfortunately.

DvB wrote:
    Hard to argue with any of that, we really are lacking a true defensive leader in the team, probably the hardest role of all to fill unfortunately.

Dlaw and Jaylon do it but they're not like the general Lee in how they do it.

Heath as captain of the secondary is too quiet, you need a Jalen Ramsey I'm your face type cut to give us some ego on defense

• Advertisement

Another frustrating result in a very frustrating season. The team is unable to win tight games against good teams. Some of the refs calls were ridiculous but ultimately we were fairly toothless offensively and special teams was a disaster once again.

Garret going for the Fg when a touchdown was needed kinda sums him up. There are Rumours of him going to the Giants, hopefully he's gone out of Dallas at the end of the year regardless.

Miccoli wrote:
    Another frustrating result in a very frustrating season. The team is unable to win tight games against good teams. Some of the refs calls were ridiculous but ultimately we were fairly toothless offensively and special teams was a disaster once again.

Garret going for the Fg when a touchdown was needed kinda sums him up. There are Rumours of him going to the Giants, hopefully he's gone out of Dallas at the end of the year regardless.

This game was a microcosm of Garrett at the helm, a game they should've won but found a way to lose it. Four o line penalties from two very underperforming all pro's cost us momentum and killed any chance of doing anything in this game. When we needed something we have away penalties and sucked the life out of the offence. Once more it looked like he took the play calling out of Kellen Moore's hands against the better teams, so what's the point of having Moore as OC.

When we're playing teams weaker than us we can win and win well but when a team is at the same standard or better we can't help ourselves. Any decent defence can hold us to a low score, Saints 10 points, Patriots 9. Just defies belief.

The forth quarter drive was typical Garrett, run first, 2&7 pass, same on third then take a field goal. We are paying Zeke $90m, it's the weather conditions to run the ball and we screw ourselves. Taking a field goal was stupid as we needed a touchdown anyways. Even if you don't get a TD they're pinned inside their own 10 yard line.

There's rumors the Giants would be interested but only if Garrett was available. His contract is up at the end of the season and JJ has a huge decision to make. Garrett is there 10 years and the only people of similar tenure have won Superbowls. Garrett is not going to win a Superbowl so it's time to say good bye.

brinty wrote: »
    This game was a microcosm of Garrett at the helm, a game they should've won but found a way to lose it. Four o line penalties from two very underperforming all pro's cost us momentum and killed any chance of doing anything in this game. When we needed something we have away penalties and sucked the life out of the offence. Once more it looked like he took the play calling out of Kellen Moore's hands against the better teams, so what's the point of having Moore as OC.

When we're playing teams weaker than us we can win and win well but when a team is at the same standard or better we can't help ourselves. Any decent defence can hold us to a low score, Saints 10 points, Patriots 9. Just defies belief.

The forth quarter drive was typical Garrett, run first, 2&7 pass, same on third then take a field goal. We are paying Zeke $90m, it's the weather conditions to run the ball and we screw ourselves. Taking a field goal was stupid as we needed a touchdown anyways. Even if you don't get a TD they're pinned inside their own 10 yard line.

There's rumors the Giants would be interested but only if Garrett was available. His contract is up at the end of the season and JJ has a huge decision to make. Garrett is there 10 years and the only people of similar tenure have won Superbowls. Garrett is not going to win a Superbowl so it's time to say good bye.

Word.
    It was summed up nicely on commentary, Dallas have the better players, The Pats have the better coaches...

Our special teams are a cruel joke at this stage. I'd fire that coach without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,473 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I know I'm hardly objective being an eagles fan in the Dallas cowboys thread but that seat under Jason Garrett is getting hotter. I know jerry jones made comments earlier in the week but I've seen a clip from today's GMFB and he was interviewed from the cowboys stadium and if I was Jason Garrett I wouldn't be happy.

Itssoeasy wrote:
    I know I'm hardly objective being an eagles fan in the Dallas cowboys thread but that seat under Jason Garrett is getting hotter. I know jerry jones made comments earlier in the week but I've seen a clip from today's GMFB and he was interviewed from the cowboys stadium and if I was Jason Garrett I wouldn't be happy.

An eagles fan work a balanced opinion is always welcome...

Altogether now my fellow Cowboys....

Dilly Dilly.....

But in all seriousness thay seat should be as hot as the fires of hell under Garrett. The guy has the a top team available and he's not doing enough to win. In fact I'll say he's wasted a lot of prime years for this team work his conservative safety first approach.

You go for it on fourth and inside the ten not kick field goals like he did when the game was on the line. Attitudes like that will never win a Superbowl and it's time to bring in someone with the cahones to make those calls and maximise the talent available to him.

Another abysmal performance. Its obvious Garret has to go at this stage but the players were a disgrace last night.

We can keep on hearing this is such a talented team but I'm not sure it is. Defensively we are a shambles and inconsistent at best offensively. Kicker is another huge issue Maher's confidence is shot and he's really costing us at this rate.

season is effectively over now, even if we managed to hold off a poor eagles team to win the division we'd be murdered in a play off game.

Hard to believe we were 3-0 at one stage. Its clear now that that was thanks to the fixture list bing kind to us at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,473 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Earlier Jane Slater of NFL network on her instagram stories played audio from Jerry Jones on his weekly radio show and jesus was he pissed and in bad form. All the host asked was was he(jerry jones) annoyed and embarrassed over the TNF game and Jerry was clearly pissed. It will be a miracle if Jason Garrett is still HC by the monday after the end of week 17.

Such a dissapointing performance, completely outfought and outplayed by a team decimated by injury. Elliot and Cooper taking themselves out of crucial plays sums up the attitude and lack character in the team.

Clean slate needed now with the coaching staff and some big decisions to be made with regards to Prescott and Coopers contracts.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Can you imagine someone like Stephen A Smith working for Sky taking the piss out of Liverpool, United or Chelsea? I get if you’re a Cowboys fan you’ll absolutely hate the guy but I love it. There would be murder someone like that working at BT or Sky doing what he does, nice to just be able have a laugh at things too besides taking things too serious.

Advertisement