Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dallas Cowboys Thread

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,442 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jane slater is reporting that Jason garret contract expires on january 14th, 2020. And she is suggesting the contract will be let expire and he won't be fired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Itssoeasy wrote:
    Jane slater is reporting that Jason garret contract expires on january 14th, 2020. And she is suggesting the contract will be let expire and he won't be fired.

I did podcadt with her two weeks ago and she thought there was a chance it could be renewed. An 8-8 season won't get him a new contract. His time is up and with need Pat Shurmur is gone at the Giants a lot of charter that Garrett will go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,130 ✭✭✭✭DvB

brinty wrote:
    I did podcadt with her two weeks ago and she thought there was a chance it could be renewed. An 8-8 season won't get him a new contract. His time is up and with need Pat Shurmur is gone at the Giants a lot of charter that Garrett will go there.

To be fair his record against the nfc east teams is good, so staying in the division may be a factor in that happening and iirc he finished his playing career at the giants also so there is a link.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Mike McCarthy... anyone anything positive to say about this appointment? Or is Jerry Jones making the mother of all mess ups after hanging on far too long with JG?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

DvB wrote: »
    Mike McCarthy... anyone anything positive to say about this appointment? Or is Jerry Jones making the mother of all mess ups after hanging on far too long with JG?

It's not a flashy appointment but I don't think it's necessarily a bad one either. Hes definitely an upgrade on Garret and also Marvin Lewis/Ron Rivera who's names have been floating about in recent weeks. Out of interest who would you have preferred from the available coaches?

• Advertisement

Miccoli wrote: »
    It's not a flashy appointment but I don't think it's necessarily a bad one either. Hes definitely an upgrade on Garret and also Marvin Lewis/Ron Rivera who's names have been floating about in recent weeks. Out of interest who would you have preferred from the available coaches?

I'm not convinced by his time at GB, he didnt do them any favours defensively which is a worry & Rodgers comments on his play calling are hard to ignore.
    Despite being a Cowboys fan for over 30 years Aaron Rodgers is probably my favourite QB to never play for the Cowboys and would tend to listen to what he has to say so maybe thats swaying my opinion. I accept offensively he'll probably be an upgrade on JG but i'd have huge concerns about the defence.

Personally I'd have gone off the usual roundabout of ex/available coaches & gone for Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma. Though I accept the Cowboys is probably not the place to start an NFL career for a college coach. I just really wanted someone new to bring some fresh ideas to the team.

Time will tell but I'm not expecting much & certainly don't feel excited by the appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭farranreeboy

Has anyone on here been to a Cowboys game in Dallas before just wondering how much did you need to save £3,000 or £4,000 or would it be less?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Has anyone on here been to a Cowboys game in Dallas before just wondering how much did you need to save £3,000 or £4,000 or would it be less?

Depends on what you need to spend on. Could get to Dallas from Dublin return during football season for about 600 if you book at the right time etc. Tickets are expensive as you want them to be. You could go for about 50 quid standing at a low profile game, but more likely you're looking at about 200 to see the game. Getting to Arlington from Dallas is a bit of a pain but even in an Uber it would be fifty quid. After that it really depends how long you're staying, where you're staying, etc but there's decent value for hotels in Dallas I'd say. You could as easily stay in fort Worth, might be cheaper. Plenty to do in DFW but it's not exactly a great touristy destination tbh. Beer and food prices are quite high as they tend to be in big US cities but it's not a fortune either. The stadium is probably very expensive for those things though.

I'll be going for around 6 days

I'll be going for around 6 days

Quick back of the envelope adding up, 600 on flights (if you're lucky), 200 on the ticket (assuming it's just yourself, and again obviously you could spend way more than that or less possibly), 150 a night on hotel, and spending about 150 a day on food, drink, transportation, and the general stuff tourists spend money on, 3000 seems a fair amount to expect to be spending.

• Advertisement

I'll be heading over next year with my cousin wanted to celebrate my 40th and what better way going to a Cowboy's game £3,000 should be enough i'd say

I'll be heading over next year with my cousin wanted to celebrate my 40th and what better way going to a Cowboy's game £3,000 should be enough i'd say

3k is a minimum mate, drop me a pm. Can put you in touch with some people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Yeah, don't stay near the stadium, there's no public transport in Arlington bar 1 bus. Stay in deep ellum and eat the uber fare to/from the stadium. The TRE and tram system make getting around downtown dallas nice and easy. I also found dallas to be a reasonably priced city, so 200 a day should be plenty. Get a taste for margaritas, they like them big strong and cheap...

I've heard about, that the plan is to stay in Dallas what's the best way of transport to the game prob will fly from Cork to London stay overnight then London to Dallas in the next morning

I've heard about, that the plan is to stay in Dallas what's the best way of transport to the game prob will fly from Cork to London stay overnight then London to Dallas in the next morning

Agree with the above that Arlington is badly served with public transport (I used to work there and used to take that one bus) and it's also ****e craic so just go there for the game and leave it at that.

To get to the game on public transport from Dallas you'd get the TRE train to centerpoint station then the bus from there. I've not been to a game though, but I'm betting there's shuttle options of some kind worth looking into instead. Or just get the Uber.

If you're going from the airport to the game directly (wasn't too clear from your post) DFW is pretty handy for Arlington actually. There's shuttle buses to and from centerpoint anyway

I wont be going to the game directly from the airport

Uber/lyft the morning of the game, few beers afterwards, uber/lyft back afterwards. I've been twice and there's no bus or anything to the game. Make sure you get there good and early for the tailgating, you can do a paid one but just walking around the stadium drinking beers and shooting the **** with other fans is an insane amount of fun.

Can't comment on flights, I've always done it as the middle part of a bigger trip, but I'd always rather connect in the states, might only be one lon-dal flight a day, but there's hourly flights from NY/Chicago if something goes wrong....

I wont be going to the game directly from the airport

You're welcome, by the way!

Cheers for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 11,015 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

How much does the thought of an unsupervised Jerry Jones making draft picks scare Cowboys fans?

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote:
    How much does the thought of an unsupervised Jerry Jones making draft picks scare Cowboys fans?

Stephen will kick his ass, don't worry he won't be unsupervised

CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma...

So what do we make of that Cowboys folk!? End of the chatter about Dez coming back I suspect anyway. I'll be honest, not having watched much college ball this year I dont really know much about this chap.

Got this from the Guardians live reporting of the draft

"The Cowboys might have just stumbled upon the best wide receiver in this draft. He’s coming off a year where he picked up 1,327 yards and 14 touchdowns. Throughout his career he’s averaged 19.0 yards per catch, so you know he’s capable of making the big play. He may not be as fast as teams want from an elite receiver, but he has sure hands."

I'm sure I woke up the neighbours last night over the moon with that pick never expected Lamb to be there at 17 he is the best receiver in this draft class Suck it Eagles

I'm sure I woke up the neighbours last night over the moon with that pick never expected Lamb to be there at 17 he is the best receiver in this draft class Suck it Eagles

That does seem to be the narrative.
    Dak will have a wide variety of weapons at his disposal this year, hopefully the later rounds will see some defensive reinforcement too.

I mean, they stack zeke, you've got CD and coop, double them and you've got dak zeke and pollard to run...... If our front 7 stay healthy this online should be near unstoppable

Have to he satisfied with that Draft... now to see who we can bring in as free agents.

hynesie08 wrote:
    I mean, they stack zeke, you've got CD and coop, double them and you've got dak zeke and pollard to run...... If our front 7 stay healthy this online should be near unstoppable

Don't forget #13 and #89 who side will now open up for on the other side and Zeke in the passing game

Advertisement