Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dallas Cowboys Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

DvB wrote: »
    Absolutely.
    Strength in depth is a minimum nowadays, we're always going to have injuroes & suspensions & not allowing for this & building for it is always going to come back & bite us hard.

NFC East looking a tougher division this year too...

It does look tough but we'll see after 8-10 games how good teams are. There are some garbage teams in other divisions

If we can go 4-2 or 5-1 in divisional play i'll be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I know its only 5 games in but are we looking at a genuine changing of the guard at QB? Prescott playing himself into the 'cant be dropped' zone at a fair pace... & alongside EzeE the offence is starting to look tasty again... Can an aging Romo genuinely expect to walk back in as QB1 as soon as he's deemed fit? I know the next couple of games are biggies but unless there's a steep drop off i'd be disappointed to see Prescott being replaced TBH.

my pre season predictions had us at 2-3 at this stage, so we're 2 up on that already, fingers crossed we can keep it going as it looks like the NFC East is going to be a cracker this year.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I know its only 5 games in but are we looking at a genuine changing of the guard at QB? Prescott playing himself into the 'cant be dropped' zone at a fair pace... & alongside EzeE the offence is starting to look tasty again... Can an aging Romo genuinely expect to walk back in as QB1 as soon as he's deemed fit? I know the next couple of games are biggies but unless there's a steep drop off i'd be disappointed to see Prescott being replaced TBH.

my pre season predictions had us at 2-3 at this stage, so we're 2 up on that already, fingers crossed we can keep it going as it looks like the NFC East is going to be a cracker this year.

Possibly a changing of the guard alright but let's see how dak gets on when he is under pressure, although he is playing himself into undroppable status. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens when we've a 100% Dez in the o line

If you'd told me pre season with no Tony romo, Dez Bryant and L'ael Collins going out early a rookie running back and quarter back we'd be 4-1 I'd have been committed. We're in bonus territory already.

Nfc east is a bit crazy but will settle after the first round of games are done

No way can Dak be dropped now, himself & Zeke are breaking records all over the place & coupled with a defence that's improving game on game it would be mad to break the momentum being built... a few weeks back had been dreading the Eagles game, now i'm reasonably optimistic we wont roll over & die for them...

What a win, even allowing for GB's slump a win there doesn't happen often... c'mon the boyz!!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

No way can Dak be dropped now, himself & Zeke are breaking records all over the place & coupled with a defence that's improving game on game it would be mad to break the momentum being built... a few weeks back had been dreading the Eagles game, now i'm reasonably optimistic we wont roll over & die for them...

What a win, even allowing for GB's slump a win there doesn't happen often... c'mon the boyz!!!

The fact that they're talk about Romo needing to be close to a hundred, thousand, million percent ready to go before he's coming back and with a bye week coming up it's been a positive start to the season. If you'd offered me 5-1 before hand with Romo out, Tyron Smith missing games, Dez not being 100% fit and missing three games and our D line being so short of cover I'd have suggested you'd have needed to be committed.
    But we are where we as as two rookies have come in and showed no fear and went for it. If you are handing out rookie of the year right now its Prescott and Elliott 1 and 2 and everyone else somewhere over the rainbow...
    The defence had grinded it out and made plays. Welcome back the collegiate player that was Mo Claiborne and a no 6 pick overall. Church has been huge and Byron at safety is really controlling the middle
    The eagles game off bye week will be our toughest this season and they can't be under estimated. It'd be a Dallas thing to do and go out and stink the joint out in that game. If we can get Jaylon Smith cleared for next season and Randy Gregory cleared up of his drug problems we could have some team. The draft strategy shoud now be about improving our defence in all area's. An elite edge rusher, a corner and Luke Keuchely esque line backer would be ideal.
    On the victory over green bay i'm overjoyed but you'd feel for A-Rod, clean pockets and targets not getting free for him.

#howboutthemcowboys

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    The fact that they're talk about Romo needing to be close to a hundred, thousand, million percent ready to go before he's coming back and with a bye week coming up it's been a positive start to the season. If you'd offered me 5-1 before hand with Romo out, Tyron Smith missing games, Dez not being 100% fit and missing three games and our D line being so short of cover I'd have suggested you'd have needed to be committed.
    But we are where we as as two rookies have come in and showed no fear and went for it. If you are handing out rookie of the year right now its Prescott and Elliott 1 and 2 and everyone else somewhere over the rainbow...
    The defence had grinded it out and made plays. Welcome back the collegiate player that was Mo Claiborne and a no 6 pick overall. Church has been huge and Byron at safety is really controlling the middle
    The eagles game off bye week will be our toughest this season and they can't be under estimated. It'd be a Dallas thing to do and go out and stink the joint out in that game. If we can get Jaylon Smith cleared for next season and Randy Gregory cleared up of his drug problems we could have some team. The draft strategy shoud now be about improving our defence in all area's. An elite edge rusher, a corner and Luke Keuchely esque line backer would be ideal.
    On the victory over green bay i'm overjoyed but you'd feel for A-Rod, clean pockets and targets not getting free for him.

#howboutthemcowboys

Agree with all of that... Rodgers is a QB I love to watch, criminal how few options he has in that GB team. I had him tipped as this seasons MVP, its clear already thats not going to happen.

Eagles game was always the key... win that one & I'll believe ANYTHING is possible thereafter, lose it & the game after will tell us loads about this team... bounce back & its a great sign, slump & we can expect a slog for the second half of the year.

8-1
    I'm a believer now
    This team is coming together
    But with Seattle winning in New England we need to keep the foot on the floor
    Zeke 1005 rushing yards already and on course to catch Eric Dickerson,these ate heady days indeed

After the giants game had someone told me we'd win the next 8 I'd have laughed & questioned their sanity... especially with games at Green Bay & Pittsburgh in there... but this team looks special, not only do they play smart they play hard as well & they have options... still not counting chickens but a post season game is looking likely... that'll do for now.

Dare we dream?

A winning season guaranteed now, that's the first job done & whatever else happens after last years debacle thats an impressive turnaround.

For me though, the way the offence is winning games is amazing though, their ability to change in-game to take on teams with allegedly wonderful defensive capabilities is the real impressive thing about this team. Still think a NFC championship or SB is too soon but by god aren't they great to watch...

My one fear is that they burn out being built around the two outstanding rookies of the year.

A winning season guaranteed now, that's the first job done & whatever else happens after last years debacle thats an impressive turnaround.

For me though, the way the offence is winning games is amazing though, their ability to change in-game to take on teams with allegedly wonderful defensive capabilities is the real impressive thing about this team. Still think a NFC championship or SB is too soon but by god aren't they great to watch...

My one fear is that they burn out being built around the two outstanding rookies of the year.

I couldn't agree more mate, but I'm happy to see that Dak and Dez are now building a relationship and taking the pressure off Zeke. We can now run and throw and a dual threat QB is keeping teams honest too.

My biggest surprise is the D doing their thing and minimising the impact of the oppositions offence.

I agree and NFC championship and SB talk is too early but a winning 2016, divisional title and playoffs is a great start. If we can build up our D with some talent through the draft it would help us.

I think we have something like 20 players entering free agency this summer so will be interesting to see how we manage the cap and the Tony Romo conundrum. Keep him about or let him move to an AFC team.

• Advertisement

I couldn't agree more mate, but I'm happy to see that Dak and Dez are now building a relationship and taking the pressure off Zeke. We can now run and throw and a dual threat QB is keeping teams honest too.

My biggest surprise is the D doing their thing and minimising the impact of the oppositions offence.

I agree and NFC championship and SB talk is too early but a winning 2016, divisional title and playoffs is a great start. If we can build up our D with some talent through the draft it would help us.

I think we have something like 20 players entering free agency this summer so will be interesting to see how we manage the cap and the Tony Romo conundrum. Keep him about or let him move to an AFC team.

Hopefully the core of the team can be retained, if Dak keeps this form up you'd have to say Romo's contract might be a deadweight we can do without... interesting times. To be fair I never expected us to 'solve' the QB conundrum so soon & so well, as you say now time to reinforce the Defence & if we manage to keep the core anything could happen... may even see No.6 in my lifetime!!

DvB wrote:
    Hopefully the core of the team can be retained, if Dak keeps this form up you'd have to say Romo's contract might be a deadweight we can do without... interesting times. To be fair I never expected us to 'solve' the QB conundrum so soon & so well, as you say now time to reinforce the Defence & if we manage to keep the core anything could happen... may even see No.6 in my lifetime!!

Romo and the cap hit next season means we're in a spot of bother if things remain the same. Think he's a $24m cap hit unless he retires or gets traded,and it goes down closer to 10m.. but we'll need to pay dak in two years as he'll be hitting free agency I believe as he's a fourth round pick

If we can offload Romo,Carr and a few others we can tie down Zach Martin and that's us sorted in our o line for 3-5 years

Then look to improve the d line, edge rushers and secondary is where we need to focus.

10-1
    Despite Washington throwing for 449 yards and 500+ total offence
    This team just keeps getting better and finds ways to win.
    If we can get Church and Claiborne back on the D before play offs we might have a shot.
    Another multiple td game for Elliott,fourth this season could he get MVP and Roy awards.. Or could he get MVP and Dak get Roy award.
    Zack Martin, what a beast lifting Zeke and pushing him on. Get that man a new contract asap

I think we only need to win 1 more game to mathematically guarantee a wildcard... be nice if the giants managed to lose this weekend as well though, that would seriously take the pressure off. Be great to keep the no.1 seed slot though as going on form it'd be us v the seahawks in the NFC championship game & I think I'd prefer that in Dallas than up there in January.

At this stage I'm struggling to not get excited though, whatever happens now we've done way more than I or many many others had expected.

DvB wrote:
    I think we only need to win 1 more game to mathematically guarantee a wildcard... be nice if the giants managed to lose this weekend as well though, that would seriously take the pressure off. Be great to keep the no.1 seed slot though as going on form it'd be us v the seahawks in the NFC championship game & I think I'd prefer that in Dallas than up there in January.

At this stage I'm struggling to not get excited though, whatever happens now we've done way more than I or many many others had expected.

I hear you on this
    In the exact same stAte of mind
    Seattle in Dallas is easier than going there
    Keeping the emotions in check is hard to do
    Wish Cleveland could beat those pesky giants and save us all....
    Secondary is under severe pressure

nearly there now.... 11 wins on the bounce, unreal. What a difference a year makes.

nearly there now.... 11 wins on the bounce, unreal. What a difference a year makes.

Agh mate like you said yesterday I've been expecting a loss since week 2 but starting to think now maybe we just keep adjusting and finding ways to win.

I just want to see us win a couple of play off games now. We need to be in the NFC championship game.

I think we're now settled with our O-line. Get Martin tied down and Romo to reduce his contract. Lets concentrate on improving our d front and secondary.

Agh mate like you said yesterday I've been expecting a loss since week 2 but starting to think now maybe we just keep adjusting and finding ways to win.

I just want to see us win a couple of play off games now. We need to be in the NFC championship game.

I think we're now settled with our O-line. Get Martin tied down and Romo to reduce his contract. Lets concentrate on improving our d front and secondary.

If someone had told me we'd win at Green Bay, Pittsburgh & Minnesota I'd have laughed at it as the ramblings of a madman... but we've done it.

The big thing to look out for (for this season anyway) is how they'll react to a defeat, will they bounce back or crumble.

As for the playoffs, we need to get to the NFC championship game, no more losing to wildcards & suchlike... no point strolling the division if we lose at home in our first play off game.

Have to try & keep my feet on the ground though, expectation levels are growing steadily & I really don't want to crash badly when we inevitably balls it up against NY or the redskins in the play offs.

And playoff spot confirmed

Goof of all the other NFC East teams to lose this weekend... if we could close the division out (& the NFC top seeding) next week in New York even better....

• Advertisement

So monkey off the back
    Let's get our stuff together and go crush the bucs at cowboys stadium

So monkey off the back
    Let's get our stuff together and go crush the bucs at cowboys stadium

Just a shame it was against the jammy Giants, again!!

This team was always going to be about how they respond to a defeat as there's always going to be one at some stage... now lets see what they're made of.

Just a shame it was against the jammy Giants, again!!

This team was always going to be about how they respond to a defeat as there's always going to be one at some stage... now lets see what they're made of.

thats exactly it mate
    better to lose now than in the play offs
    lets refocus the attention,
    hammer the bucs on sunday and confirm first round bye
    beat Detroit and get home field advantage
    and leave nothing on the line v Eagles
    13-3/14-2 should confirm home field advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Hammering the Buccs is going to be a lot easier said than done. They are in great form at the moment. Dallas struggled to move the ball last night, they may struggle again next week against a superior defence, IMO.

Double C wrote: »
    Hammering the Buccs is going to be a lot easier said than done. They are in great form at the moment. Dallas struggled to move the ball last night, they may struggle again next week against a superior defence, IMO.

Agree, Bucs are playing well & will be hard to beat. I'll take any kind of win TBH. Always feared the cowboys may have peaked too early in the season, lets hope this isnt the case though & we bounce back in time for the play offs.

12-2
    Grinded it out
    Zeke needs 258 to beat Dickerson
    Dak shut some people up with a 250+ yard game
    Dez had 80+ yards and getting better ahead of playoffs
    Irving sacking people again and d line doing reasonably well
    Dan Bailey is now not highest %age field goal kicker,he and Hopkins and very close in that

12-2
    Grinded it out
    Zeke needs 258 to beat Dickerson
    Dak shut some people up with a 250+ yard game
    Dez had 80+ yards and getting better ahead of playoffs
    Irving sacking people again and d line doing reasonably well
    Dan Bailey is now not highest %age field goal kicker,he and Hopkins and very close in that

To be honest I was juts relieved to see the scoreline when i woke up this morning. This game was never about performance, it was about bouncing back after last weeks game & the rookies with some help did just that. Shame the jammy Giants won again, 12-2 & we're still not sure of anything other than a wildcard... mad division this year.

NFC east champs baby
    #1 NFC seeds
    Home field advantage through the playoffs
    Happy Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

NFC east champs baby
    #1 NFC seeds
    Home field advantage through the playoffs
    Happy Friday

No idea what any of that means but glad you have a smile on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

So what do we think about Sunday? I'm pretty scared of Aaron Rodgers to be honest, but I think Dallas can score on the Packers defense. Nelson will be a big loss for them and hopefully Adams goes back to the drop machine he was earlier in the season. Claibourne is supposed to be back as well so that's a big help to the secondary. One of the lads on the Around the NFL podcast referred to the Dallas secondary as the top ranked in the NFL, which sounds insane! They have been surprisingly good though. Hopefully the D line and Irving in particular can bother their O line and put some pressure on Rodgers. We saw how they handled the Giants defense at times on Sunday.

Advertisement