Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker World Championship 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

I know he's done it several times during matches...but during a mid-session interval (15 or 20 minutes) i doubt that's at all common. But could be wrong

Hawkins just collapsed here, think a couple of bits of misfortune have wrecked his head here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

ya

game over if hawkins loses this

ronnie not even on his game

hawkins has no chance here

he'll have to stepup for final

the whole top half of the draw has been a shambles really.....ding should be out there now putting it up to ronnie. Desperate stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Murphy hit form over the last few events and should have given Ronnie a far closer match and Hawkins is world number 4 so hardly too easy players. Ding going out first round just blew Ronnies half of draw wide open. He can only beat who is put in front of him

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Forthright

Ding always chokes at the worlds. He's another Jimmy White except at least Jimmy waited until the final to choke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I reckon Robertson will win, but I hope Selby does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

So sick of people calling out. Cant they just throw them out?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

SarahBM wrote: »
    So sick of people calling out. Cant they just throw them out?

It's fcking stupid...they should get told once before the first frame and that's it. Anymore and they're out.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I reckon Robertson will win, but I hope Selby does.

Robertson for me, would be a better final for me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Robertson at his best should beat selby, he has a bit more flair too selby can be conservative but gets the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

and BBC are cutting it again and this is actually a good game! feck sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Would not be surprised if they cut off the final at this stage to show a repeat of Countryfile....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Barry Hearn talked about this in his press conference earlier today. Seems he'll be having a quiet word in the ear of the BBC chiefs.

"The tournament as far as the BBC is concerned, has also performed admirably well. So far over 19 million viewers have tuned in. Our average audience is 5% up year on year and our total audience so far is over 2 million more than this time last year. Now, I appreciate that Ronnie O’Sullivan is a huge ratings driver but this goes beyond one player which pleases me even more.

I do have to say that I have had obviously a lot of comments about the BBC coverage and leaving matches at crucial stages and whilst I understand that there are occasionally certain things beyond our control, I can just reassure snooker fans that this has not gone unnoticed and there will be some serious conversations with our colleagues at the BBC going forward.

Clearly we have given them a global event and they have been wonderful ambassadors for us and supporters of snooker, but we do have requirements of how an event of this stature should be treated by our host broadcaster and I am sure you will get the flavour of what I am talking about.

So we’ll go back to the BBC and make sure that we maintain the excellent level of coverage that we insist upon. They have already shown several hours more this year than they did last year and that is a trend that is continuing and as I say the audience figures are satisfactorily increasing at a level that I am very pleased to see.

I think that snooker has bottomed out over the last few years and we are now back on the road to success and the BBC figures seem to justify that."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

The exhale of breath at the end of every sentence by Taylor into the mic. His "brine and baloo". He is so annoying.
    Ideal commentary for me would be Willie and Ken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Would be hard to get final tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

when have there ever been more than half a dozen top players? the top 16 has always been full of journeymen, but there's never been anyone quite as good as O'Sullivan at steamrollering over them...

Start of the new millenium was the most competitive surely with o sullivan, hendry, higgins, mark williams, Hunter, ken, Ebdon, stevens were all playing well. Snooker is a strange sport very hard to be consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

What's with the harassment of Robertson after every session he plays? Cameraman followed him down the corridor to his dressing room again. Why do they show this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I think Davis, Hendry and then O sullivan are the ones young kids look up to but unlike the first two O sullivan went off the boil for a good while, i think if he was consistently performing each year there would flocks of kids wanting to be the next ronnie but he is doing that the past few years. I thought snooker would take off in china after Ding and there was lots of interest but after Ding theres a drop off.

stephen Hendry was right yesterday

they may as well just hand ronnie the trophy every year the way his opponents are playing him

Yeah it's so disappointing. Am wondering too whether Ronnie's relatively poor form is down to the lack of the challenge against him, his only real purple patch was the last couple of frames against perry when he had to fight for his life

Murphy's demeanour shocked me, looked beaten as soon as he went behind at 3-2...seemed to just accept he was going to get a thrashing and out of there as quickly as possible, and hawkins looks somewhat the same here

Pighead wrote: »
    Barry Hearn talked about this in his press conference earlier today. Seems he'll be having a quiet word in the ear of the BBC chiefs.

"The tournament as far as the BBC is concerned, has also performed admirably well. So far over 19 million viewers have tuned in. Our average audience is 5% up year on year and our total audience so far is over 2 million more than this time last year. Now, I appreciate that Ronnie O’Sullivan is a huge ratings driver but this goes beyond one player which pleases me even more.

I do have to say that I have had obviously a lot of comments about the BBC coverage and leaving matches at crucial stages and whilst I understand that there are occasionally certain things beyond our control, I can just reassure snooker fans that this has not gone unnoticed and there will be some serious conversations with our colleagues at the BBC going forward.

Clearly we have given them a global event and they have been wonderful ambassadors for us and supporters of snooker, but we do have requirements of how an event of this stature should be treated by our host broadcaster and I am sure you will get the flavour of what I am talking about.

So we’ll go back to the BBC and make sure that we maintain the excellent level of coverage that we insist upon. They have already shown several hours more this year than they did last year and that is a trend that is continuing and as I say the audience figures are satisfactorily increasing at a level that I am very pleased to see.

I think that snooker has bottomed out over the last few years and we are now back on the road to success and the BBC figures seem to justify that."

At least they didn't cut off the end of a Ronnie O'Sullivan match to show a repeat of Some Mothers Do Ave Em. So that's progress i guess :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

they may as well just hand ronnie the trophy every year the way his opponents are playing him

Hendry know's because he was in the situation Ronnie is in where players are beat before they play him. It is pure fear everybody is scared of him and nervous. He is not having to play well at all to win matches he needs to be tested. I think Robertson won't fear him and could bring the best out of him.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Hendry know's because he was in the situation Ronnie is in where players are beat before they play him. It is pure fear everybody is scared of him and nervous. He is not having to play well at all to win matches he needs to be tested. I think Robertson won't fear him and could bring the best out of him.

Is a spoiler alert required here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Should be a good final this year. Neither Robertson nor Selby will be easy to beat. Could be a cracker.

Advertisement