Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker World Championship 2014

Options
1383940414244»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Still not a good idea to drive after such a long mentally draining match like that, he should have probably slept in Sheffield for the night before driving back today!

Might he get into trouble for having his son in a car like that (a two seater)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Was probably a mixture of bad weather conditions and replaying the match over and over again-what he could have done differently etc

Had to Google the car-flipping nice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭cruasder777

Was probably a mixture of bad weather conditions and replaying the match over and over again-what he could have done differently etc

Had to Google the car-flipping nice!

A very costly pink, nearly got him killed by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Addle wrote: »
    Might he get into trouble for having his son in a car like that (a two seater)?

doesn't sound like a good choice for transporting kids around in, but I don't think there's any law against it (small kids are supposed to be in the back, but only if there is a back seat)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

irishthump wrote: »
    Hendry was never as proficient as other top players when it came to shots requiring extreme power, whether it was screw, topspin or forcing shots with stun. He never really hit the ball hard.
    He's credited with pioneering the technique of splitting the pack of reds while potting the blue. Truth was he preferred that approach as it required less power than trying to split them from the black.

actually steve davis first started attempting that shot in the 80s (splitting the pack via potting the blue) stephen actually perfected it imo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I enjoy both playing and watching snooker and I'm afraid that I find nothing in your comments that I can agree with.
    I had no preference as to the winner, just wanted a good match which I believe we got. As for "..Selby..... dragging Ronnie (slight preference shown here perhaps?) down to his level" that to me is laughable.

Thank goodness that we are all entitled to our own opinions.

It's a good job that you weren't around in 1946 when the final was played over 2 weeks and the best of 145 frames. That was a long match!.

My point is merely that the quality of snooker was not particularly high except for Ronnie's opening flourish and Selby's final few frames. Everything in between was largely poor with lots of misses and inconsistent safety. As such, people calling it the greatest final in years are doing so purely because of the drama.
    And why was the quality low? IMHO, it was because Selby frustrated Ronnie which resulted in the latter losing his rhythm. I'm not blaming Selby for doing that - he's entitled to do what he needs to do to win but it doesn't make for the kind of snooker I particularly like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Mousewar wrote: »
    My point is merely that the quality of snooker was not particularly high except for Ronnie's opening flourish and Selby's final few frames. Everything in between was largely poor with lots of misses and inconsistent safety. As such, people calling it the greatest final in years are doing so purely because of the drama.
    And why was the quality low? IMHO, it was because Selby frustrated Ronnie which resulted in the latter losing his rhythm. I'm not blaming Selby for doing that - he's entitled to do what he needs to do to win but it doesn't make for the kind of snooker I particularly like.

As an ex club player, (many MANY years ago), it's good to see that the players aren't super human. That, to me, makes the game more enjoyable.

Grand Prix motor racing became predictable and boring when Shumacher and then Vettel were winning race after race, now it's worth watching again.
    Variety is the spice of life.

We will have to agree to disagree but keep watching the game.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

irishthump wrote: »
    Are you serious? White had more cue power than probably any other player the game has ever seen, O'Sullivan included.
    Thats rubbish, I have seen Higgins, White, Davis etc screw back the length of the table after potting a ball the length of the table. All pros and good amateurs can do this.

Heres an amateur doing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLFvi2w7tN4

No big deal, but i was never calling White's cue power into question, or Higgins' or Davis for that matter. All I was trying to say is that I regularly see players nowadays playing shots like that with almost effortless ease that i don't remember 20 years ago. That table conditions are faster now is simply a fact which, i would guess, helps players not so blessed with cue power execute shots not possible for them back in the day. Also, I guess they are less likely to miss pots by being able to hit more controlled deep-screw shots, without having to lash the cue through as hard as they can.

Remember Alex Higgins' famous blue in the '82 semi-final against White, the one he hammered into baulk pocket and screwed white back up to the top? People spoke about that shot as if it had come from another planet and claimed it was virtually impossible to execute. Well, I bet that a good handful of the top pros would manage it without much fuss now, only none of them would dare to try it with their World Championship lives on the line!!

Advertisement