Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker World Championship 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Pighead wrote: »
    Should be a good final this year. Neither Robertson nor Selby will be easy to beat. Could be a cracker.

The Robertson Selby conclusion will probably be better than the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Is a spoiler alert required here?

No unfortunately i can't see into the future but i am confident of Robertson beating Selby.

Addle wrote: »
    The Robertson Selby conclusion will probably be better than the final.

Just can't take to Selby i just don't know what it is. He scores heavy but i just find him boring to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

Fair enough, am not a Robertson fan personally but his quality is not in question that's for sure. Just hoping for a classic as this tournament has had far too few of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

match gone
    no red button

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Just can't take to Selby i just don't know what it is. He scores heavy but i just find him boring to watch.

The jester... Who never smiles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭bren2001

match gone
    no red button

Use the IPlayer to watch it. I don't have a red button but the online streaming on the BBC for snooker is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

bren2001 wrote: »
    Use the IPlayer to watch it. I don't have a red button but the online streaming on the BBC for snooker is excellent.

are you in the UK? is BBC IPlayer not restricted?

bren2001 wrote: »

I've got it on xbmc now

it's the BBC version

obriendj wrote: »
    are you in the UK? is BBC IPlayer not restricted?

You don't need to be in the UK, just your IP address. If you use Chrome or Firefox install hola. IPlayer will work once you set it to UK.

https://hola.org/

• Advertisement

i have something similar bren....but find trying to watch live tv n the iplayer a bit choppy even with a high speed broadband connection

i have something similar bren....but find trying to watch live tv n the iplayer a bit choppy even with a high speed broadband connection

I usually use something else but it was quite choppy. Switched the hola at the start of the championship and it isnt choppy. I am getting 40 Mbps (up and down) in work and similar at home. With those speeds it will depend on the servers you are using.

If you change your dns as opposed to IP you should see better results.

Somebdy told me it works better with firefox but its no big deal really. I only use it to download stuff to watch later anyway, a fantastic service to have

theres loads of live streams on xbmc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Just to back-track slightly to the likes of Mark Allen labeling Roberston's celebration of the century of centuries as 'weird' - give.me.a.break.

He clawed his way back into a match from a fair bit behind.
    He got a huge monkey off his back, the relief must have been palpable.
    He is the first player, in the history of the game of Snooker, to what what he done.
    He did al of the above, in the most prestigious & desirable theater of Snooker on the planet, The Crucible.
    He got a prolongued standing ovation from the whole crowd.
    The majority of the celebration was when Judd Grump left the arena.

What was he meant to do, smile & sit down with a standing ovation behind him?! He done what anyone in that situation would have done. The day Mark Allen makes snooker history is the day I'll listen to his critique of other players celebrations'.

While I mention Trump, he's undoubtedly a talented player. I don't particularly like his style though, his game is so immature at times it borders on cringey. I remember when O'Sullivan burst onto the scene as the young hotshot, & despite his speed & ability to entertain the crowd, he had a mature & well thought out style. Trump costs himself so much I feel, by being reckless in his goal to be 'positive'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Watching the morning session on Ronnie and Hawkins. Ronnie's makes it look too easy

Myrddin wrote: »
    Just to back-track slightly to the likes of Mark Allen labeling Roberston's celebration of the century of centuries as 'weird' - give.me.a.break.

The day Mark Allen makes snooker history is the day I'll listen to his critique of other players celebrations'.
    That's a surprise. He gave him a lot of praise after Robertson beat him!

Murphy is the only contemporary that seems to have positively acknowledged the achievement.

You jump around celebrating if you get a 9 darter in darts. You jump around if you get a 147 in snooker. Robertson done something never done before in the biggest tournament of the year damn right he should celebrate. That achievement will probably never happen again. It would have been weird not to celebrate. I think any other opponent would have congratulated him Trump is a horrible loser who thinks he is better than he is.

Bit of a storm in a teacup this issue but won't go away it seems. There are issues on both sides. Robertson could have restrained his celebration but didn't. Trump could have acknowledged the milestone with a nod or handshake but didn't. At such a critical stage of the match, though, I would be inclined to cut Trump some slack, he was clearly under pressure, on the backfoot and was entitled to try and maintain his focus on rescuing a worsening situation. I know if I was his coach, I would be happy with the way he played it. Yes he lost the match, but he was struggling by that point anyway.

And the point people make about celebrations in other sports is not entirely apt. Not all sports are alike and there is a certain etiquette in snooker that is there for a purpose. Nothing wrong with showing emotion, recall Allen himself getting a bit worked up at the Crucible a couple of years back, but over-exuberance can seem a bit off. Robertson's reaction did remind me a little bit of Peter Ebdon's histrionics when he beat Stephen Lee a decade back. Don't have a huge problem with it, but a little dismayed at the flack Trump has been getting

agreed

critical point in match

what's a hundred tons anyhow?

why should trump bother with it

robertson was acting up anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

Bit of a storm in a teacup this issue but won't go away it seems. There are issues on both sides. Robertson could have restrained his celebration but didn't. Trump could have acknowledged the milestone with a nod or handshake but didn't. At such a critical stage of the match, though, I would be inclined to cut Trump some slack, he was clearly under pressure, on the backfoot and was entitled to try and maintain his focus on rescuing a worsening situation. I know if I was his coach, I would be happy with the way he played it. Yes he lost the match, but he was struggling by that point anyway.

And the point people make about celebrations in other sports is not entirely apt. Not all sports are alike and there is a certain etiquette in snooker that is there for a purpose. Nothing wrong with showing emotion, recall Allen himself getting a bit worked up at the Crucible a couple of years back, but over-exuberance can seem a bit off. Robertson's reaction did remind me a little bit of Peter Ebdon's histrionics when he beat Stephen Lee a decade back. Don't have a huge problem with it, but a little dismayed at the flack Trump has been getting

pretty much this, Robertson did something similar against Ding in a match a while ago. he was like you beauuutyyy after getting over the line against him in a match, can't remember the tournament. Finish your match and then celebrate. Don't really like his manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

what's a hundred tons anyhow?

Snooker history being made is what it was. I can't wrap my head around that fact people want 'etiquette' to get in the way of a player celebrating something never done before.. I've no major beef with Trump not acknowledging it, though I wouldn't expect him to...he's arrogant & immature anyway, well he certainly comes across so in interviews.

But yeah, Roberston done what anyone else would have done...the crowd loved it, & at the end of the day, he gave them what they wanted & that's all that matters.

This first frame has been absolutely fascinating...a tense tactical battle, good frame for either to win

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Myrddin wrote: »
    Snooker history being made is what it was. I can't wrap my head around that fact people want 'etiquette' to get in the way of a player celebrating something never done before.. I've no major beef with Trump not acknowledging it, though I wouldn't expect him to...he's arrogant & immature anyway, well he certainly comes across so in interviews.

But yeah, Roberston done what anyone else would have done...the crowd loved it, & at the end of the day, he gave them what they wanted & that's all that matters.
    Spot on. The players get criticised all the time for being boring robots with zero emotion yet when somebody shows a bit of passion all the purists are out in force demanding he save it until he gets back to his dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

WHERE'S THE CUE BALL GOIN'

if he said it once he has said it ten times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

SarahBM wrote: »
    WHERE'S THE CUE BALL GOIN'

if he said it once he has said it ten times!

And most of the time it's no where! :D

Really enjoying this match, haven't seen much over the last week or so

Ken Doherty is really enjoying himself anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

better than the drivel in the previous round. Ive hit a wall with college work so Im going to make some popcorn and watch the rest of this session. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement