Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kate Bush concert

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Source?

I'm hearing it's the following which sounds a lot more realistic
    Lily, Hounds of Love, Running Up That Hill, Joanni, Ninth Wave suite, Sky of Honey suite, and Among Angels and Cloudbusting as encores.

Yea that seems to be it actually. The initial setlist was obviously wrong. got it from setlist.fm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Source?

I'm hearing it's the following which sounds a lot more realistic
    Lily, Hounds of Love, Running Up That Hill, Joanni, Ninth Wave suite, Sky of Honey suite, and Among Angels and Cloudbusting as encores.
    The reviews I'm reading say there was no end of stage props, amateur dramatics and dance troupes. That setlist is grand but sounds like the show is well padded out with non-music things (which wouldn't be my cup of tea, but still jealous!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    That setlist is grand but sounds like the show is well padded out with non-music things (which wouldn't be my cup of tea, but still jealous!).

Aye, Same with her last tour in '79 though

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭corm500

Would love to have gone to the show as I am a fan. I am bit dissapointed with the set list though. Seems it was mostly made up of tracks from 2 Albums (Hounds of Love & Ariel) 2 great albums I know but considering she was away so long it was hardly a career encompassing return. It reminds me of seeing Bowie in Slane only for most of the gig to be taken up with tracks from Never let me Down and Lets Dance. I mean its hardly as if she has a new album to promote. Still jealous though, I would have gone to see her sing the back of a cornflakes box :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

I doubt she will have the same setlist for the full 22 dates.

It will probably be similiar to Prince's residency at London's O2, there he changed the setlist to various degrees almost every night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It was never going to be a career encompassing comeback. Those 2 acts which were inevitable are a big reason why these shows are taking place. I'm delighted I'll get to see them with visual accompaniment.

We'll see later if the opening act and encore are likely to consist of different songs for each show later tonight.

I'd be happy either way...

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Heard she hinted that this would'nt be the last shows??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Grid. wrote: »
    Heard she hinted that this would'nt be the last shows??

I think this could become a mega touring show. I'm sure she's going to put a few dates Ireland's way, given her connections here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

I need to see Kate Bush :(
    Breathing is my favourite song

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

I think this could become a mega touring show. I'm sure she's going to put a few dates Ireland's way, given her connections here.

To see her in a venue like Vicar Street....would be incredible!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Ah now, two chances of that Grid:D but yeah, sweet:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

what exactly are her connections with here?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

scudzilla wrote: »
    "I'm incredibly proud of being half-Irish. I really wanted to get that Irish blood in me to come through, so I worked very hard on it." - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/why-kate-bush-is-so-proud-of-her-irish-roots-30120956.html#sthash.NxJ9Zabv.dpuf

she is meant to be afraid of flying.

Mentions here Irish mother on the late late, and wouldn't say her surname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shV-tT8cY-A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I think I heard Bill Whelan (riverdance) say he worked with her before too... anyone know what album/song?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I want to see her in the NCH, dying to see another act there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

is she playing a gig here? saw something in tomorrows papers preview

Armelodie wrote: »
    I think I heard Bill Whelan (riverdance) say he worked with her before too... anyone know what album/song?

Features Bill Whelan, Liam O'Flynn, Seán Keane and Dónal Lunny. I adore this song.

There's plenty more with a heavy Irish influence though.

O'Flynn and Lunny pop up again on The Jig of Life. Then there's her version of My Lagan Love.

Also, looks like the same setlist tonight which kind of makes sense as the whole thing appears to be more of a meticulously rehearsed musical/theatrical production than a rock/pop concert. I don't think her name is even on the marquee outside.

Means no song from The Dreaming though. The above song would have been perfect.

Also, looks like the same setlist tonight which kind of makes sense as the whole thing appears to be more of a meticulously rehearsed musical/theatrical production than a rock/pop concert. I don't think her name is even on the marquee outside.

Doubtful it'll remain the same throughout the run, she's not played live for years so give her a few more gigs and the confidence will come back, i'd expect to see 2/3 songs changing during the run, no more though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

emo72 wrote: »

Oh, tell me more. I didn't see anything. Night of the Swallow would be a great addition to an Irish show, more so if Donal Lunny and co join Kate for that performance.

I've been to a few gigs from the "bigger" artists and TBH this sort of shennanigans almost ruined them for me. Too many musicians adding little to the overall tunes, too much faffing around on the stage. It inevitably leads to fewer songs and actually diminishes my experience of the music itself. I really hope she makes it to Ireland for a few concerts but if the 10 buses of extras don't I won't be too put out as long as I get a ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

emo72 wrote: »

Do you have a link to that story?

Seanachai wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that story?
    It could be even harder to get tickets for... less shows in a smaller venue with everybody in the world still trying to get them. Anyone who's gone to the current run needs to be barred too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    It could be even harder to get tickets for... less shows in a smaller venue with everybody in the world still trying to get them. Anyone who's gone to the current run needs to be barred too!

That's true, just because it's in Ireland doesn't mean that US and UK fans that didn't get tickets won't flood over!. Agree that people who have seen show already should be barred in the interest of fairness. It's all hypothetical at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

She's not going to play anywhere else.

Birneybau wrote: »
    She's not going to play anywhere else.
    I believe it, but is this sourced or guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

So, I was there for the first and second nights and I've go to say it was pretty amazing.
    The evening starts with a pretty standard couple of "hits" with regular concert lighting etc. Her voice is great and she seemed to be really enjoying it. One of the first things she joked to the audience was "Where have you been?"

Some pyrotechnics and a front projection film led into the Ninth Wave....which was sublime. OK, I've always loved those songs but it was really nice to see them finally expressed in a visual medium (in the programme notes she talks about wanting to do a visual treatment from way back then). This act was pretty much musical theatre (in a good way, think Warhorse not Annie) with some concert and film (the film was her in a water tank- singing live in the water tank).

After the interval was An Endless Sky of Honey. A much more abstract visual interpretation with mime, a painter (Bertie) and some amazing video backdrops. Some really beautiful moments. She even flew.

Encore was Among Angels (just her and a piano) and Cloudbusting (where she even encouraged us to sing along).

Oh and Bertie (her son) has a solo and has main billing as Creative Advisor (he's 16).

I doubt the set list will change - it was co-directed by Adrian Noble and last night was his last night on the project. Really the only song I could see changing would be
    Among Angels
    as it's just her and a piano.

The atmosphere in the venue was electric on both nights. Full of fans, and no one I spoke to could care less that she didn't sing
    Wuthering Heights!

I've tickets for the 27th September so it'll be interesting to see if there are tweaks / changes and how the show evolves over the run.

Last thoughts - the ticket were expensive but she has spent a truckload (a very very large articulated multi axel truckload) of money on the show - it's all up on the stage. And I don't think there'll be a tour - it's all very site specific...but you never know, I never thought I'd ever see her live, ever!

atgate wrote: »
    So, I was there for the first and second nights and I've go to say it was pretty amazing.

I've tickets for the 27th September so it'll be interesting to see if there are tweaks / changes and how the show evolves over the run.

Now yer just being greedy :pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Now yer just being greedy :pac::pac:

True. But the first two were presale and we figured if we were making the trip to London it made sense to go twice.

The third night was more of an accident. Wen't on the main sale morning just to see if I could book a ticket and ended up buying one as it was for the centre of the first row of the circle; I couldn't say no to that.

But, yeah, greedy all the same :D

Advertisement