Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kate Bush concert

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

atgate wrote: »
    So, I was there for the first and second nights and I've go to say it was pretty amazing.
    The evening starts with a pretty standard couple of "hits" with regular concert lighting etc. Her voice is great and she seemed to be really enjoying it. One of the first things she joked to the audience was "Where have you been?"

Some pyrotechnics and a front projection film led into the Ninth Wave....which was sublime. OK, I've always loved those songs but it was really nice to see them finally expressed in a visual medium (in the programme notes she talks about wanting to do a visual treatment from way back then). This act was pretty much musical theatre (in a good way, think Warhorse not Annie) with some concert and film (the film was her in a water tank- singing live in the water tank).

After the interval was An Endless Sky of Honey. A much more abstract visual interpretation with mime, a painter (Bertie) and some amazing video backdrops. Some really beautiful moments. She even flew.

Encore was Among Angels (just her and a piano) and Cloudbusting (where she even encouraged us to sing along).

Oh and Bertie (her son) has a solo and has main billing as Creative Advisor (he's 16).

I doubt the set list will change - it was co-directed by Adrian Noble and last night was his last night on the project. Really the only song I could see changing would be
    Among Angels
    as it's just her and a piano.

The atmosphere in the venue was electric on both nights. Full of fans, and no one I spoke to could care less that she didn't sing
    Wuthering Heights!

I've tickets for the 27th September so it'll be interesting to see if there are tweaks / changes and how the show evolves over the run.

Last thoughts - the ticket were expensive but she has spent a truckload (a very very large articulated multi axel truckload) of money on the show - it's all up on the stage. And I don't think there'll be a tour - it's all very site specific...but you never know, I never thought I'd ever see her live, ever!

All of that points to it will travel.

KATE! Come to IRELAND!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

i know nothing, but would be surprised if she didnt tour. fingers crossed everybody:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

emo72 wrote: »
    i know nothing, but would be surprised if she didnt tour. fingers crossed everybody:pac:

I don't think so. If it was exhausting for her at 19/20 doing the tour, at 56 I doubt she would commit to a full blown tour. I think her son convinced her how many people would come and see her, on her terms, in a residency...I don't think he would have convinced her to go on the road again. Granted she isn't doing as strenous a show as when she was 19, but I just can't see it happening (would love it, but doubt it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

It is being filmed at some stage isn't it?. Professionaly I mean, not on an iPhone.

Babooshka wrote: »
    I don't think so. If it was exhausting for her at 19/20 doing the tour, at 56 I doubt she would commit to a full blown tour. I think her son convinced her how many people would come and see her, on her terms, in a residency...I don't think he would have convinced her to go on the road again. Granted she isn't doing as strenous a show as when she was 19, but I just can't see it happening (would love it, but doubt it)

Shure she'd only be skipping over the water!, nice short flight, private jet probably. Two or three nights at the point, nice hotel, then down to visit the cousins in Waterford. She could arrange it for Christmas too, kill two birds with one stone:P.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I believe it, but is this sourced or guess?

No source, I just can't see it happening. As someone posted above, she's 55-56, stopped touring in 1979...

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Seanachai wrote: »
    It is being filmed at some stage isn't it?. Professionaly I mean, not on an iPhone.

Didn't see any cameras either night. If I had to put money on it I'd say there won't be a DVD. To be honest it might appear a little cheesy in that medium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Didn't see any cameras either night. If I had to put money on it I'd say there won't be a DVD. To be honest it might appear a little cheesy in that medium.

Was the buyer of your ticket checked for ID to prove you didn't buy off a tout?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,375 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The atmosphere in the venue was electric on both nights. Full of fans, and no one I spoke to could care less that she didn't sing Wuthering Heights!
    I spoilered all of that quote, I think its fairly obvious what song was not played was simply by bringing it up, no other possible missing song would spring to mind. I imagine most people were impressed with the good show so not complaining because it was missing. But I certainly would have thought most would have likde to have heard it, and therefore do "care". I reckon most did not want to put a dampener/downer on things, or appear to be not "a real fan".

I see she did 2 songs as an encore. With a set that long I would have been expecting 2 encores, but especially as wuthering heights was not yet played I would have been sitting there convinced it was coming, I expect many must have been, like a big intro etc was coming. Or was it very clear the gig was definitely over at that point?

I would have thought many would be disappointed as many spouses/partners "dragged along" to gigs may not know many others. Its not just that 1 song, I would have liked to have seen a few more off the first 4.

Was the buyer of your ticket checked for ID to prove you didn't buy off a tout?
    Yeah. We were ID'd both nights.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I spoilered all of that quote, I think its fairly obvious what song was not played was simply by bringing it up, no other possible missing song would spring to mind. I imagine most people were impressed with the good show so not complaining because it was missing. But I certainly would have thought most would have likde to have heard it, and therefore do "care". I reckon most did not want to put a dampener/downer on things, or appear to be not "a real fan".

I see she did 2 songs as an encore. With a set that long I would have been expecting 2 encores, but especially as wuthering heights was not yet played I would have been sitting there convinced it was coming, I expect many must have been, like a big intro etc was coming. Or was it very clear the gig was definitely over at that point?

I would have thought many would be disappointed as many spouses/partners "dragged along" to gigs may not know many others. Its not just that 1 song, I would have liked to have seen a few more off the first 4.

I'll just this all in spoiler.

Don't get me wrong. I would have loved to hear loads of stuff from the early albums. I think it's just that some would be wildly inappropriate from her POV. WH is written from the POV of a teenage girl. There's no way kate could pull that off with a straight face - not to mention some of those notes in the higher registrar are not available to her any more. She could perhaps have reimagined herself as Nelly witnessing the story but that sounds like a big change.

It does annoy me a little that the metro said there was a fan backlash that she hadn't sang WH but the two quotes the had; one was from a rapper who was joking and wasn't at the gig. And the other was from some girl who, again, wasn't a a performance.

For the record, I'm a big Kate Fan but I don't think everything she does is pure genius (Big Stripy Lie and The Line, the Cross & the Curve make me absolutely cringe). And I wouldn't like to wear her as a skin suit ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

I was lucky to be there Saturday night.
    I had booked a restricted view / standing ticket - right at the back - but was surprised when told we were allowed to stand closer by staying in the stairs :-)
    What a fantastic experience ! Her voice is still as beautiful and she put on a mind blowing show.
    I'm still on cloud 9 :-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Yeah. We were ID'd both nights.

I went and wasn't checked. No one seemed to be.

I went on the Saturday night. I don't know her catalogue that well but the ones I knew I loved.
    King of the mountain
    was class, big highlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Was there on Friday night. Was ID'd on the way in and there was 2 others with us that were arriving later and I had to go back out to the door with ID so they could get in. they were really strict.

Our seats were for Row J, down the front which should have translated to the tenth row. Because they had a stage extension which came out past rows a, b, c, d and e we found ourselves in the 5th row. and we were dead centre aswell, right in front of Kate. the look on people's faces who had tickets for row F... arriving and realising they were in the front row, was hilarious to watch. Jude Law was sitting in the row behind us, with his dad I think.

As for the show itself... it was amazing. I still cant get over how good it was, musically the band was amazing and breathed new life into some of the songs, with many sounding better than they ever have. Kate's voice was unreal and she had such a presence onstage. you could tell she was really enjoying herself.. it's hard to imagine her not regretting doing a show like this a long time ago.

I'm definitely having withdrawals now. Would love to see this again at some point. Fingers crossed this won't be the last time we get a chance to see her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Because they had a stage extension which came out past rows a, b, c, d and e we found ourselves in the 5th row ... the look on people's faces who had tickets for row F... arriving and realising they were in the front row.

:eek:
    I read about this on Homeground, but I thought only A to D were taken out. Is row E gone too, making F the front row?
    And is that the case for all the stalls or just the central section? My seat is in Row F. :)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

So, there WILL be an IRISH tour also?????:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

:eek:
    I read about this on Homeground, but I thought only A to D were taken out. Is row E gone too, making F the front row?
    And is that the case for all the stalls or just the central section? My seat is in Row F. :)

as far as i remember, all the stalls. pretty sure you're front row so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Heading along tonight. This is the most excited I've genuinely been for a gig in years! Was there anything in the way of merchandise on sale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Heading along tonight. This is the most excited I've genuinely been for a gig in years! Was there anything in the way of merchandise on sale?

Enjoy. It's fantastic. A fair bit of merchandise, inside the venue. Quite pricey, but ...

Cheapest item from memory was a Hounds of Love mug, at £13.50. I got one, and i think it's left handed !! Handle is a curve, and it is much more comfortable in the left hand than the right, but I won't be drinking from it that often anyway. Nice item. Then there're Fish People keyrings and pendents, a tour program, some posters and prints, T shirts etc from £15 up £25. Hoodies and other posters are £35 to £60. A "rescue kit" to tie in with one of the acts is £45. Then some Fish People masks for £350. All from memory, but I think fairly accurate, There may be other items I didn't see or have forgotten. The merh counter is in the foyer, very small and very busy. Best to get there a bit early so you don't get too hot and sweaty in the crowd around it.

Absolutely fantastic show. Not a Best of Bush. Quirky and mad in the best way, properly befitting an offering from Kate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Wow, what a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

That was fun!!!

Hearing rumblings that there's more to come over the next 18 months but I can't imagine this show been taken on tour.

Can't imagine her doing a standard greatest hits tour either though.

Maybe another residency somewhere else?

Any news on the DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

From what I can see, no

blastman wrote: »
    From what I can see, no

Maybe it'll be a Christmas release, hopefully the wait won't be as long as the gaps between her albums! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32,375 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Even her music videos have yet to be officially released on dvd (let alone blu ray)

rubadub wrote: »
    Even her music videos have yet to be officially released on dvd (let alone blu ray)

I read that seats were cleared for some of the shows and that they were filmed. I was miffed that I couldn't get a ticket but the prospect of seeing it on DVD eased the pain a bit:o.

Advertisement