Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

a lot of the craft breweries are now using 440ml cans instead of 500ml bottles (Wicklow Wolf and Kinnegar among them). Hoppy beers seem to keep better in cans but not sure why 440ml is the standard.

I know in the case of WW they were sending their beer away to be bottled, whereas they're now canning on-site. Perhaps a 440ml canning machine is cheaper than a 500ml one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

A real pitty you cant get any of the main stream lagers in 330 ml cans in ireland. Widely available in the North though. Much nicer can to sip on.

Theyre starting to trickle onto supermarket shelves iv noticed lately. Especially Heineken. There is always a 330ml bottle though

• Registered Users Posts: 32,375 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

loyatemu wrote: »
    Perhaps a 440ml canning machine is cheaper than a 500ml one.
    Dunno about the machines but it would be cheaper to can per ml at 500ml since a lot of the metal is in the top section and the base, the walls are wafer thin so adding height does not cost much.

At the same price per ml 440ml would be my preferred size over 330 or 500ml. That would go for cans of coke too, years ago you got "supercans" of coke but that was too big most of the time.

I see there is a club orange and pespi max in 440ml size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Xterminator

isnt it gas how the opinions go from 'the customer being screwed again' to 'i prefer 440ml cans' in the space of one page.

i always thought it was my responsibility to check the price and volume to make sure bargains were really that. Thata not just on alcoholic beverages either. frequently 2 small boxes of cereal will be cheaper than the big one etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wicklow Wolf said they were going from bottles to cans for environmental reasons. I asked would the beers still be coming in 500ml sizes, but I never got an answer :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sorry if asked already but what's the story with 440ml cans? There must be a reason why supermarkets in NI sell them instead of the 500ml but damned if I know - anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Hogzy wrote: »
    Theyre starting to trickle onto supermarket shelves iv noticed lately. Especially Heineken. There is always a 330ml bottle though

Yeh wouldnt be mad about bottles. Have you seen 330 ml heineken cans??

isnt it gas how the opinions go from 'the customer being screwed again' to 'i prefer 440ml cans' in the space of one page.
    I guess they meant if the price is not changing accordingly. I specifically said I prefer them only if the price per ml is the same.
    elperello wrote: »
    I don't see anything sneaky in putting a legal product on the shelf and offering it for sale at the marked price.
    i always thought it was my responsibility to check the price and volume to make sure bargains were really that.
    I think it is sneaky, there was a very shady off licence I went to go to when I started drinking, owner brazen open about serving underage. He would have all sorts of weird brand & cans but even he had the decency to put up clear signs warning if his carlsberg was UK market 3.8% or 440ml cans.

If I owned an off licence I would be the exact same, I do not want customers to feel scammed. I have no doubt at all that tesco have had complaints about this. I think people on this forum have returned cans before.

It is not really the same as cereals or bars of chocolate dropping in weight, there are certainly complaints about that but they change frequently enough. If If owned a shop I might alert people to certain weight drops too, again to help them.

Not everybody checks volumes but especially not on things like cans of guinness, which they may have been buying for 35years+ and has ALWAYS been a 500ml can.

Blocks of butter and sausages are traditionally sold in 1/2lb & 1lb sizes, 227g 454g. If Kerrygold blocks dropped to 400g and did not decrease the price to me I would put a notice up in my shop, people might have bought another brand instead. Last thing I would want is pissed off customers.

Sausages have started to come in oddball sizes nowadays so people are getting used to checking. They will be doing it from now on with cans too, but I would not be getting all dismissive with this "only yourself to blame" attitude at people who did not think of checking the can which has been 500ml in this market for several decades has changed.

back to bargains, all of the recent tesco ones are finished, including undeclared ones like smirnoff, best value branded vodka there is probably

Wyborowa Vodka 70Cl
    Special OfferSAVE 4.79 Was 23.79 Now 19.00
    valid from 22/4/2020 until 12/5/2020

€19.00

• Registered Users Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i can't stand drinking out of a can or a bottle really. find the beer goes flat much quicker also

9 times out of 10 i'll pour it into a glass.

exception being if it's all thats available, or when i'm cooking on the bbq i'll drink a 330ml bottle, any bigger is to big to be drinking from, unless of course it is a 2l bottle in a field when you are 16 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

keano_afc wrote: »
    Wicklow Wolf said they were going from bottles to cans for environmental reasons. I asked would the beers still be coming in 500ml sizes, but I never got an answer :o

their beers are much better since they moved the packaging in-house. When they were sending it off to be bottled it was never as good as it is on draught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

Bushmills Black Bush 70cl - 26 beans

https://www.obrienswine.ie/products/bushmills-black-bush-70cl

Tasty whiskey for a good price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

^^ Same in Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

Couldn't spot much in Dunnes today.

4 for €10 - Asahi 620ml
    4 for €10 - Cobra 660ml

Peroni Nastro Azzurro are 3 for €9 but 4 for €10 in Tesco at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Perlenbacher XXL in Lidl e7.49 on 14/05

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Invincible

1968 wrote: »
    Couldn't spot much in Dunnes today.

4 for €10 - Asahi 620ml
    4 for €10 - Cobra 660ml

Peroni Nastro Azzurro are 3 for €9 but 4 for €10 in Tesco at the moment.

4 for €10 Estrella 660ml Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

zell12 wrote: »
    Perlenbacher XXL in Lidl e7.49 on 14/05

I was slurping away on this stuff over the bank holiday weekend just gone, grand tack, easily drinkable , sank a fair few of them sunday night, not a bother on me the next morning.

I'd well recommend it, considering the lack of booze bargains in the supermarket as such recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I got the super bock in lidl for €6.99 a 6-pack. I never heard of this beer before but it is a delicious lager. As nice as Heineken and stronger alcohol content. Yum.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As nice as Heineken

Nominated for worst case of damning something with faint praise ever..........

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Bannergal

Any deals this weekend on Bulmers cans?

Last time I got 12 cans for €15.50 in Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Bannergal wrote: »
    Any deals this weekend on Bulmers cans?

Last time I got 12 cans for €15.50 in Dunnes

Go into Aldi and pick up Cullens cider.

Similar type of flavour to Bulmers, ie not the ridiculously overpoweringly sweet type like Orchards Thieves.

Can’t remember the price but it’s something like a euro or so for a can.

Definitely cider weather today and tomorrow it seems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Bannergal

Afraid I’m a Bulmers only person

• Registered Users Posts: 7,335 ✭✭✭bladespin

I got the super bock in lidl for €6.99 a 6-pack. I never heard of this beer before but it is a delicious lager. As nice as Heineken and stronger alcohol content. Yum.

Portugese larger, lovely, always reminds me of the hols, have to pick up a pack, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Bannergal wrote: »
    Afraid I’m a Bulmers only person

It's made by Bulmers as far as I know, lovely cider.

Got 8 cans yesterday at 1.49 each and they are chillin' in the fridge for tomorrows barbeque.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

It's made by Bulmers as far as I know.

Really wouldn’t surprise me.

Their own brand O’Sheas beer is made by O’Haras.

What’s the harm in trying a can I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Really wouldn’t surprise me.

Their own brand O’Sheas beer is made by O’Haras.

What’s the harm in trying a can I say.

Had 3 bottles of O' Shea's stout last night, top notch out of the fridge.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

Tried O'Shea's "Summit To Say" IPA 500ml bottle from Aldi last night. Didn't like it (and I love IPA's) ... got a very sour taste from it so much so I though it was gone off but the BB date was May 2021 .... won't be buying again.

Lidl's Crafty Brewing Company 6% IPA (which is by Rye River Brewery who also do McGargles) is much nicer - same price €1.99 per bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

24 Guinness cans for €25 in Lidl Parnell St. Good few there
    Also lots of the 6 Super Bock 330ml for €7.

Lots of Estrella 660ml & Peroni Nastro Azzurro 660ml in Tesco Jervis St. 4 for €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Private Joker

Dont know if it's been mentioned before but I have gotten a couple of deliveries from https://www.mybooze.eu/ . Usually arrives in 5 working days, selection of German pils, largers, radlers, wines and spirits.
    Prices aren't too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭geordi

Dont know if it's been mentioned before but I have gotten a couple of deliveries from https://www.mybooze.eu/ . Usually arrives in 5 working days, selection of German pils, largers, radlers, wines and spirits.
    Prices aren't too bad

Thanks for the tip. Which would be your pick of the pilseners?

• Advertisement

New amsterdam vodka is €26 for a litre in tesco. which is €18.20 per 700ml

Never had it but gets good reviews,

SAVE 9.00 Was 35.00 Now 26.00
    valid from 15/4/2020 until 12/5/2020

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement