Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭geneva geneva4444

wil wrote: »
    There are still a few things that don't seem to have been discussed and I think are worthy of input from the more experienced.
    more anon

Are you referring to Channel 5's "act of God" theory?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭Homer

Breaking on sky news...

Satellites received signals from the Malaysia Airlines flight up to five hours after contact was lost, according to Sky sources.

A statement issued by satellite operator Inmarsat said: "Routine, automated signals were registered on the Inmarsat network from Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 during its flight from Kuala Lumpur.

"This information was provided to our partner SITA, which in turn has shared it with Malaysia Airlines."

The signals are 'pings' sent by the plane to confirm it is still there and to allow the network to determine its position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

Homer wrote: »
    Breaking on sky news...

Satellites received signals from the Malaysia Airlines flight up to five hours after contact was lost, according to Sky sources.

A statement issued by satellite operator Inmarsat said: "Routine, automated signals were registered on the Inmarsat network from Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 during its flight from Kuala Lumpur.

"This information was provided to our partner SITA, which in turn has shared it with Malaysia Airlines."

The signals are 'pings' sent by the plane to confirm it is still there and to allow the network to determine its position.

This is not breaking news! Plus, no-one here has clarified to me whether these 'pings' would actually provide a location and time of location. I give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭cml387

sopretty wrote: »
    This is not breaking news! Plus, no-one here has clarified to me whether these 'pings' would actually provide a location and time of location. I give up!

Exactly. This "ping" is outside of any aircraft communication I've ever heard of.

Again, I come back to the conspiracy theory that there is an aircraft location method that is not in the public domain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

This is so sad for the families involved. Its been a week and no trace found. Has anything like this ever happened before? Where it took them over a week to find anything.

I've been coming into the aviation & aircraft forum every day since this happened. Never been in here before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭Homer

Tell that to sky news.. It's the breaking news on their website and phone app so I'll take their word over yours cheers

cml387 wrote: »
    Exactly. This "ping" is outside of any aircraft communication I've ever heard of.

Again, I come back to the conspiracy theory that there is an aircraft location method that is not in the public domain.

Indeed, and the military (which country's military????) can't confirm that they know where every aircraft is at any one time, even if they do. As that would by 'spy' territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Tell that to sky news.. It's the breaking news on their website and phone app so I'll take their word over yours cheers

It was the exact same when I saw it 6 hours ago. Same details and still breaking news then, they have to dress up to news so people will click links and watch their drivel they call news. Good luck with your news feeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

From The Guardian:

The Inmarsat signals do not transmit location but can indicate a position and distance relative to the satellite, which could give a guide to a rough direction of travel over several hours. David Coiley, vice-president of aviation at Inmarsat, told the Guardian that the receipt of such pings indicate "that the satellite communications are functioning".

Indeed, and the military (which country's military????) can't confirm that they know where every aircraft is at any one time, even if they do. As that would by 'spy' territory.

Well you do have NORAD in the US and Canada that can track everything flying in their airspace and outer space. It's been that way for decades. They can put it down to defence and not spying, every country has a right to monitor what flies through it's airspace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I seen all that over 24 hours ago. Won't slate for trying to inform people on here though. That's just going to prevent people from wanting to put information into this thread.

Well you do have NORAD in the US and Canada that can track everything flying in their airspace and outer space. It's been that way for decades. They can put it down to defence and not spying, every country has a right to monitor what flies through it's airspace.

Which begs the question - why have none of them confirmed sightings of an off course air-craft?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

A satellite photo of the Bay of Bengal fire, burning since the airliner vanished, but an official says they believe there is no connection to MH370.

http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-content/uploads/North-Sentinel-Island-3-13-2014.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Thrill wrote: »
    A satellite photo of the Bay of Bengal fire, burning since the airliner vanished, but an official says they believe there is no connection to MH370.

http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-content/uploads/North-Sentinel-Island-3-13-2014.jpg

Would a plane fire still be burning?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,890 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Piers Morgan CNN for the latest now

fr336 wrote: »
    Would a plane fire still be burning?

Bush fires can burn for weeks in Australia. I believe that area at Strait of Malacca is currently in fire season.

Edit: I know it's not what you asked, was explaining why there might be a fire there and that if the plane did crash there it would have ignited vegetation thus fire could burn for a long period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Are you referring to Channel 5's "act of God" theory?? ;)
    Dear God no.;)
    cml387 wrote: »

Thanks, I didn't want to sound stupid questioning the terminology, but aircraft never appeared on any lookup tables I've seen.

Now. the first group of (apols otherwise) unasked questions relate to this Rolls Royce data and probably go to maintenance crew.

Are all 777s RR engines fitted with this reporting technology and does it report back regardless of any other settings, choices or subs.
    Is this generally known?
    I gather or infer, this data is available to customer as a sub.
    Are there commercial (confidentiality) restrictions that have any bearing on knowing or getting this information.

I find it odd that it appears to have taken several days in to a world wide investigation for RR to come forth with this information.
    Would this have been going on behind the scenes with reporting restrictions or are MAs actually fighting a battle to get information?

Next angle - if this information exists, how reliable is it, is it encrypted, could it be cloned, hacked, misread, intercepted, come from another engine?
    Now I realise that is unlikely to be answerable except by RR themselves, (or a RR hacker)

Third angle - is anyone aware if subsequent to day one, whether accident investigators accompanied the next MAS 777 to Beijing and confirmed what data was being relayed to all parties - ie ATC, MAS, Boeing, RR, military radar, ANOther, plus cellphones?
    It seems like a sensible thing to do (so maybe not:()

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I thought Piers Morgan was sacked!?

Breaking News that is not quite breaking news, we are back to theory that someone was in control, a deliberate act to take control of plane.
    Hardly breaking news.

• Advertisement

I thought Piers Morgan was sacked!?

He always has some greats experts on every night. I learn something new every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Interesting article on WSJ http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304914904579439653701712312?mod=WSJEurope_hpp_LEFTTopStories&mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB10001424052702304914904579439653701712312.html%3Fmod%3DWSJEurope_hpp_LEFTTopStories
    Getting into the area housing the 777's computers would "not take a lot" of knowledge, said an aviation professional who has worked with the 777. However, this person added, "to know what to do there to disable" systems would require considerable understanding of the jet's inner workings. Some airlines outfit the access hatch to the area below the floor with a special screw to prevent unauthorized intrusion, the person added.
    <>

Until just a few years ago, the satellite communication system used by jetliners didn't include data on an aircraft's location in the pings, the electronic equivalent of handshakes used to establish initial contact.
    <>
    In the case of the missing Malaysian jetliner, precise locations were provided. However, it is unclear why the transmission ceased and where the plane may have ended up after the final ping.

So it sounds like there is a good idea of where it was when the last ping was received, so I guess the search area should be a circle showing where it could go with whatever fuel was left at that time..or it crashed near there. Hijack seems pretty certain now, the final outcome is what's in doubt.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »

It had well over 3,000nm of range from fuel left in the tanks from the time it went missing. That's a 6,000nm wide circle you are talking about. That's a massive area bigger than Europe.

It had well over 3,000nm of range from fuel left in the tanks from the time it went missing. That's a 6,000nm wide circle you are talking about. That's a massive area bigger than Europe.

It had considerably less fuel than that when the last 'ping' to the Sat comms was observed over the Indian Ocean.

But it was then picked up in a different location 4/5 hours later, with considerably less fuel on board presumably!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The final ping was five hours later than final contact. So that makes the circle a lot smaller, but still huge/verging on impossible by now with ocean currents likely to have dispersed any concentration of debris over a massive area by now. If indeed it did crash.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Never knew it was confirmed that it was picked up again much later. Not sure what to take as fact at this stage as alot of theory and here say is being thrown about as fact.

Never knew it was confirmed that it was picked up again much later. Not sure what to take as fact at this stage as alot of theory and here say is being thrown about as fact.

Well all the 'experts' on any channel are taking it as fact now.

The US deployed USS Kidd and a plane (I think) to this area. Looks like they're taking it as reliable information.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

There is a pretty isolated landing strip here in Oman, it looks within fuel range at a push ?

My understanding is that Oman is rather a peaceful state, but who knows ?

Again I have mentioned it earlier, but I think an organization able to effectively steal a plane full of people would probably have the means to organize landing somewhere for refuelling. Would foreign radars be observing a place like Oman ?

This is a huge operation, so it wouldn't make sense to me that hijakers would have omitted to think of where they would land, and how they would stopover and refuel. After taking such risks !

edit : that's if it is indeed a hijack.
    Would that strip accommodate a 777 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭jescart

There is a pretty isolated landing strip here in Oman, it looks within fuel range at a push ?

My understanding is that Oman is rather a peaceful state, but who knows ?

Again I have mentioned it earlier, but I think an organization able to effectively steal a plane full of people would probably have the means to organize landing somewhere for refuelling. Would foreign radars be observing a place like Oman ?

This is a huge operation, so it wouldn't make sense to me that hijakers would have omitted to think of where they would land, and how they would stopover and refuel. After taking such risks !

edit : that's if it is indeed a hijack.
    Would that strip accommodate a 777 ?

They have the itinerary of the flight, even the identities of the 2 with stolen passports. If any of the passengers were involved in terrorism of this scale, they would be already known by intelligence agencies around the world.

It doesn't have the characteristics of a terror attack in my opinion, could be totally wrong though anythings possible at this stage.

Advertisement