Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malaysia Airlines flight MH370-Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I don't see a problem with the Mirror reporting on this. Most of their sources will be coming from press releases being given live on Malaysian TV and from other main news sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

cml387 wrote: »
    The ACARS broadcast is freely available to anyone with a shortwave radio, a pc and a soundcard.It doesn't have to be "released".

But would you only get real time info? Could I look back on the ACARS info of a Thomas Cook flight that passed near my house yesterday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

SpaceTime wrote: »
    At this stage I think you could probably rule out terrorist organisations as they would have publicly claimed responsibility for it by now.

These kinds of organisations are totally publicity seeking.

Did anyone ever claim responsibility for Pan Am Flight 103 that crashed at Lockerbie?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

No technical problems found in regular check of the missing Boeing 777-200 aircraft ten days ago, Malaysia Airlines' spokesman says

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Lirange wrote: »
    Did anyone ever claim responsibility for Pan Am Flight 103 that crashed at Lockerbie?

Yea the libyian guy who did time for it made admissions didnt he. As did the organisation who sponsored him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Thrill wrote: »
    No technical problems found in regular check of the missing Boeing 777-200 aircraft ten days ago, Malaysia Airlines' spokesman says

I wonder will the previous crash on the runway yet come to the fore. Planes have crashed before after poor repair jobs that were signed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    Yea the libyian guy who did time for it made admissions didnt he. As did the organisation who sponsored him.

Yes but that was a long time after the event and under interrogation wasn't it? I'm just reading up on it now but it doesn't seem like there were any credible public claims of responsibility made in the aftermath of the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Kavs8

I wonder will the previous crash on the runway yet come to the fore. Planes have crashed before after poor repair jobs that were signed off.

First off there was no crash on a runway, the wing contacted the tail of a China Eastern Airlines A340 aircraft taxiing. The wingtip of 9M-MRO was broken off, It was subsequently repaired, and the aircraft as has been pointed out had recently undergone maintenance - For fatigue if you're referring to that, that usually mounts itself up over a few years an example - China Airlines Flight 611.

Separately, Chinese Authorities have ramped up airport security according to Xinhua.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What crash on the runway? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭billie1b

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    What crash on the runway? :confused:

No crash on a RWY, it had its wingtip ripped off by a China airlines before while taxi-ing. Making a mountain out of a molehill with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    Not necessaarily. There was two stolen passports reportedly used on the flight. Very strange that two on the same flight and it suddenly goes of the screens.
    Im thinking a possible attack. We will find out in the near future. Surprisingly no wreckage spotted yet. Those water channells are very well used by ferries and fishery boats so why no radio contact with any body seeing a plane in trouble.

It could be total coincidence though. There are a lot of people who may do that for far more 'benign' reasons - immigtation, fraud,drug smuggling, regular old fashioned non-terrorist reasons ... criminality etc etc

Russian Foreign Ministry expected to make announcement shortly, Xinhua saying 3rd stolen passport expected to be confirmed. Anybody believing this is all a coincidence now is in cloud nine I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The only thing I can think it might be related to would be the recent knife terrorist attack in Beijing.

BREAKING - Unconfirmed reports that there may be a possible connection to the toilet fires by a passenger on an Etihad Airways B777 flight a few weeks back. The flight which had just taken off from Jakarta en-route to Abu Dhabi, had to divert due to 3 toilet fires, this is not confirmed - But chilling if confirmed shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Kavs8 wrote: »
    BREAKING - Unconfirmed reports that there may be a possible connection to the toilet fires by a passenger on an Etihad Airways B777 flight a few weeks back. The flight which had just taken off from Jakarta en-route to Abu Dhabi, had to divert due to 3 toilet fires, this is not confirmed - But chilling if confirmed shortly.

Source?

More information in relation to the Etihad incident which is still unconfirmed if it had any connection to MH370 - A slight correction on my part also, the flight was en-route from Melbourne to Abu Dhabi went it had to divert to Jakarta;

''Feb 17th 2014 - An Etihad Boeing 777-300, registration A6-ETM performing flight EY-461 from Melbourne,VI (Australia) to Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates), was enroute over the Indian Ocean west of Australia when the fire detectors in a lavatory in economy class triggered alarm. Smoke and flames were visible from a bin in the lavatory, cabin crew quickly extinguished and contained the small fire. About 2 hours later the fire detector of another lavatory in the economy class triggered alarm, again cabin crew needed to extinguish a small fire in the bin of that lavatory. The captain decided to divert the aircraft to Jakarta (Indonesia) where the aircraft landed safely, all passengers disembarked and were questioned by Indonesian police.

The aircraft continued the flight after about 4 hours on the ground with all passengers aboard and reached Abu Dhabi with a delay of 4:15 hours, however, not without three more fire incidents after which the captain ordered cabin crew to stop all cabin service and guard the lavatories instead until landing in Abu Dhabi.

The airline confirmed multiple disruptions on the flight prompting the diversion to Jakarta. No arrests have been made, about a dozen passengers were detained by UAE police after arrival in Abu Dhabi however for further interviews.

Passengers reported there were sirens and flashing red lights going on and odour of smoke was noticed throughout the aircraft, with smoke visibly coming from first one then another lavatory. Breakfast service was stopped while the aircraft diverted to Jakarta. Passengers were upset about the flight being continued without the arsonist being identified and removed from the flight. Gossip amongst passengers indicated a female had set the lavatories alight.

On Feb 20th 2014 the airline reported that the 12 detained passengers were all released again, as there was no conclusive evidence. There had been two fire incidents after takeoff resulting in the diversion to Jakarta, three more fire incidents occurred while en-route from Jakarta to Abu Dhabi.''

drquirky wrote: »
    Source?

Unconfirmed have to stress that - It's now sprung up on PPRuNe, being posted on the Guardian live blog too.

drquirky wrote: »
    Source?
    RUSSIAN PASSENGER THOUGHT TO BE ON MISSING MALAYSIAN AIRLINE FLIGHT MH370 IS ALIVE, HAD PASSPORT STOLEN--EKHO MOSKVY

http://www.echomsk.spb.ru/news/kriminal/rossiyanin-propavshiy-samolet.html

Thats a Russian site so I've no idea how reliable it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Thats shocking, i would not of reboarded that flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Horrible horrible tragedy for all concerned. Just on the possible terrorist angle now starting to emerge around this story, which possible terrorist cell could be linked with this? I understand the majority of passengers were Chinese nationals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,894 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How long before the pictures are released of the persons using the stolen passports. Who are they.. why were they on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Kavs8 wrote: »
    Unconfirmed have to stress that - It's now sprung up on PPRuNe, being posted on the Guardian live blog too.

This kind of stuff on forums tends to build its own momentum. A sniff of a rumour on one forum is quoted as fact on another that then gets reported on an other to eventually become " a quote from a reliable source"

Look at this one for example, 17 odd pages of speculation with very little fact. There were over 8000 viewers on pprune earlier. Journo's have very little to go on at the moment:)

Remember, there is no official report of a third stolen passport being used yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

This kind of stuff on forums tends to build its own momentum. A sniff of a rumour on one forum is quoted as fact on another that then gets reported on an other to eventually become " a quote from a reliable source"

Look at this one for example, 17 odd pages of speculation with very little fact. There were over 8000 viewers on pprune earlier. Journo's have very little to go on at the moment

Exactly, pissing me off reading it. Take a night off people and go down the pub!

Growler!!! wrote: »

Look at this one for example, 17 odd pages of speculation with very little fact. There were over 8000 viewers on pprune earlier. Journo's have very little to go on at the moment:)

Really want to be clear it is not fact the connection that is, its purely speculation to be confirmed - But to me in my own opinion now;

1) 3 passports stolen and used on the same flight
    2) Similar aircraft targeted with toilet fires (Up to 5 toilet fires!) 3 weeks prior
    3) The immediate cessation of air data at 35,000ft suggesting catastrophic event

I don't know but I was initially susceptible of terrorism, it looks to be a real contender now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Lets find the bloody aircraft first!

Exactly, pissing me off reading it. Take a night off people and go down the pub!

Is that directed at me? Because everything bar the connection with the Etihad incident and the 3rd passport is confirmed, I have repeatedly advised the latter two were unconfirmed, so I really don't know what you're pissed of with or whom.

EI-DOR wrote: »
    Exactly, pissing me off reading it.

The solution to that is to stop reading the thread.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

One of the passports was stolen 2 years ago, which would make it seem less likely that it was stolen for terrorist purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

One of the Kiwis on board had left Christchurch go get away from the aftermath of the Earthquakes to start a new life in Perth.

From Stuff.co.nz:

"Paul Weeks left Christchurch after the earthquakes in search of a better life. Instead he was yesterday onboard the Malaysian aircraft which disappeared off the coast of Vietnam.

He was one of two New Zealanders named on a passenger list for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, which was carrying 227 passengers and 12 crew from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

The other Kiwi listed was Ximin Wang, 50.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade said it was in contact with their next of kin and providing consular assistance to the families.

Chinese authorities said the Boeing 777-200 never made it into Chinese airspace and Vietnamese air force jets reported finding two large oil slicks on the ocean overnight (NZ time).

Weeks, 38, moved to Perth in April 2011 with wife, chartered accountant Danica, saying he would have preferred to stay in New Zealand but the odds were stacked against them.

The couple have two young children, a three-year-old son named Lincoln and a 10-month-old called Jack, the Sunday Times reported.

"Career-wise it is far better in Australia. There is a mining boom here. I sent out 100 job applications before moving and within a week had three job offers. It is chalk and cheese with what is happening in New Zealand," Weeks told The Press in 2012.

He was currently working in Perth as a Supervisor of Engineering and Projects at mining firm Transwest Mongolia.

Weeks told the Press he doubled his salary and said with the effect of the exchange rate, probably tripled it.

"I consider our move to Australia to be one of necessity, rather than by choice, as we were content starting a family in Christchurch and enjoying the Canterbury outdoors. However, there is only so much an average family can take before one abandons the nest."

He blamed recessionary pressure, high food prices and the continuing rumbling of after shocks in Christchurch for forcing his decision to leave.

"After being in Perth for the past six months I can honestly say that the effort required to flourish in Australia is significantly lower than that of New Zealand."

"The cost of living is probably cheaper to some extent and cars are cheaper. The negatives are being away from family but it is pretty good here and you're never short of money."

Last night, speaking to the Sunday Times, Danica said she was trying to come to grips with the tragic news.

Weeks had been flying through Asia to Mongolia for his job"

I read another unconfirmed story that his wife was one of 20 women who gave birth on the day of the last major quake :(

These kind of stories are why I ask that these threads be clean, respectful and focused on the topic rather then descending into slagging matches, you never know who could be reading and might know some of the affected people and their families. So thank you for your co-operation.

Advertisement