Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC DUBLIN 19th JULY **Start time info in post #1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

No, that's the second rule of Fight Club...

the first rule of fight club is YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB
    the second rule of fight club is YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB

what is fight club and how do I get tickets early ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

figs666 wrote: »

what is fight club and how do I get tickets early ?

http://www.giyf.com/

LOL:D

I must have "accidentally" sent the wrong link. Here you go: http://www.ufcfightclub.com/presales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

darced wrote: »

His "terrible defence" is his style. Karate for MMA along with the rest of the striking arts. Just because he doesn't hold his hands up at his head for 3 rounds does not mean his striking defence sucks. He has very good footwork and head movement. To the uneducated, perhaps this looks like terrible defence because it's not quite the status quo.

Also, Maia has much better TDs!? Are we talking about the same Maia here? Maia's takedown game has always been pretty basic Jiu Jitsu TDs. Gunnars got some of the most technical TDs in the UFC. Once he clinches with you, you're basically ****ed tbh. Fantastic trips and single legs and TDs utlising the cage. Maia's desperate shots at Rory last time out were his TD game laid bare. Before this he got guys backs and hauled them to the ground, otherwise he was forced to kickbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Richy06 wrote: »
    Also, Maia has much better TDs!? Are we talking about the same Maia here? Maia's takedown game has always been pretty basic Jiu Jitsu TDs.
    ... Maia's desperate shots at Rory last time out were his TD game laid bare. Before this he got guys backs and hauled them to the ground, otherwise he was forced to kickbox.
    I don't want to get into the discussion about Gunnar Nelson, I think he's class. Very versatile jits game, and adapts it better than most to MMA. I'm not comparing him to Maia or anyone.

But the comments about Maia are lol-worthy. I don't think the phrase Basic Jiu Jitsu and Maia ever belong together ;).

Here's a gif from Maia and Chael Sonnen from UFC 95...5 years ago. This is a beutiful TD. It's a combination of judo (trip) & wrestling (drop) imo. Underhook & whizzer, sets up a knee, and Sonnen steps right into the trip. I think its far to say Sonnen is a v.good grappler himself, Mais made the TD look easy. He lands in "one in, one out" mount, straight to the triangle
    maiasonnenthrow.gif

He took Fitch (another high level wrestler) down at will also. Here's a single leg. To the uneducated, perhaps this looks like basic jiujitsu, but there's a lot of perfect little details here. I've watch this over and over to try "get" his timing.
    maiafitchsingleleg1.gif

Here he shoots a double into the cage, Fitch defends, and Maia gets the TD with a sort of osoto gake trip
    There loads more, he took Fitch down something ridiculous like 6 or 7 times.

I do understand where you are coming from, with "got guys backs and hauled them to the ground", a lot of his TDs come from something like that. But its not a case that its the only TDs he has (as the above shows), but rather that if you give Maia even a peek at your back you are going down. For most other fighters, these chances would amount to nothing. But Maia always adding in elevation, drops, or hooks the leg - its much more than dragging them down from the back - see zqwA2wT.gif

As I said above, i not trying to compare Maia to Gunnar. I think they are both class.

I may have misspoke in saying 'basic'. I don't like that word, really, in relation to technique, usually. I completely appreciate I have no illusions as to how good a grappler Maia is. But what I was saying was in general, especially of late, it's been a case of taking the back whereas I think Gunnar has a much more complete clinch and take down game who has transitioned his skill-set to MMA far more competently and smoothly than Maia. Sure Maia's looked excellent, at times. Usually when he can get his hands on someone. Against a grappler, 8 times out of 10, Maia is better. At times Maia has really struggled to implement his TD game and that's usually when he can't close the distance and clinch. From the clinch, he's deadly. Rory Mac, if I recall rightly, kept him at range and didn't allow the clinch. Maia doesn't really posses a shot, so he couldn't implement his clinch and TD game. True, you won't see Gunni shooting a double from miles out, he likes to use the clinch to engage in TDs. But where he and Maia differ is in Gunnar's superior footwork - again, similar to Machida. He uses his punches as an entry to his grappling and b;ends the two phases together beautifully into a better all around MMA game. I guess both have similar means of taking guys down - I just think Gunnar implements it better and is more versatile.

Darced, I don't look at a list of names to asses a person's TD technique. I just look at their technique.

• Advertisement

Richy06 wrote: »
    I just think Gunnar implements it better and is more versatile.
    As I said, I wasn't trying to compare the two. Both are elite WW grapplers. They may have slightly different approaches but I don't think one takes away from the other in any area.

Pit him against a grappler, he gets taken down because they'll engage with him in that range and he'll usually come out on top. Pit him against one of the 'new breed' of fighters who are good to great in all ranges and I think this is where he'll fall over.

I am a HUGE fan of both guys. Maia's run at welterweight and his run to the title shot at middleweight were excellent! He's certainly one of my favourite fighters, so I don't say what I'm saying out of some sort of bias.
    I don't underrate Maia at all, nor his credentials or skills. I just think Gunni is better at MMA and is probably a better all around No Gi grappler. But hey, that's just what I think. I don't think Maia has a chance of a UFC title and I never thought he did. Anderson Silva made him look silly - though he does that to many people. But he showed when he can't close the distance and clinch, he's kinda at a loss. This is where I think Gunnar's better, he blends the line between phases of combat much more fluidly. He's a striker before he was a grappler, after all, and was combining the phases much earlier than Maia. I think Gunni'd win an MMA fight. A grappling match? No Gi I'd go with Gunnar, Gi, maybe Maia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

You sure fightclub presale will happen, look at the small print

***Pre-sale tickets offered only to $75.00 and $150.00 Membership Plans. Pre-sale tickets are not guaranteed. All pre-sale ticket purchases are subject to availability on a first come, first serve basis for select US, Canadian, Australian, and UK performances only. All shows are subject to cancellation or postponement without notice. Please consult with the relevant venue for seating information prior to purchase and any changes to the show schedule.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    You sure fightclub presale will happen, look at the small print

***Pre-sale tickets offered only to $75.00 and $150.00 Membership Plans. Pre-sale tickets are not guaranteed. All pre-sale ticket purchases are subject to availability on a first come, first serve basis for select US, Canadian, Australian, and UK performances only. All shows are subject to cancellation or postponement without notice. Please consult with the relevant venue for seating information prior to purchase and any changes to the show schedule.

good point man

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

I hope cole miller pulls the head off him up in the O2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Don't see Miller winning that fight.
    He's best at tieing guys up.. But I don't think Conner will let him close enough to even try.

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Don't see Miller winning that fight.
    He's best at tieing guys up.. But I don't think Conner will let him close enough to even try.

connor a "show pony"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

peteeeed wrote: »

No offence but takin MMA news from entertainment.ie is a bit like getting a good vegetarian recipe from Hannibal Lectar

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

From John Kavanagh today, article is on Severe

“He’s exceeding expectations with his recovery. There is one more formal test he has to take for the UFC, but that shouldn’t be an issue.

“He had his first jiu jitsu training session this week and it went brilliantly. He’s moving very well and the knee seems to very stable.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

scudzilla wrote: »
    No offence but takin MMA news from entertainment.ie is a bit like getting a good vegetarian recipe from Hannibal Lectar

Also, there's absolutely zero concrete in that article. They're basically reporting what we and everyone else have been saying for the past 2 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

I hope cole miller pulls the head off him up in the O2

Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

amkin25 wrote: »
    Why?

It's not hard to understand why some would not like Connor is it? He is cocky, very arrogant for someone who has sofar achieved nothing and incredibly ignorant to his peers all of whom have achieved more than him. He is using the Chale strategy of staying relevant during downtime by WWE drama and talking himself into fights.

If he was not irish most in here would not like him, I bet a lot of you guys that love his attitude were no fan of Chale.

gallag wrote: »
    It's not hard to understand why some would not like Connor is it? He is cocky, very arrogant for someone who has sofar achieved nothing and incredibly ignorant to his peers all of whom have achieved more than him. He is using the Chale strategy of staying relevant during downtime by WE drama and talking himself into fights.

If he was not irish most in here would not like him, I bet a lot of you guys that love his attitude were no fan of Chale.

He knows the right things to say, how is that a negative thing? His second UFC fight was almost the main event. His third fight he more than likely will be the main event. He's a strategist inside and outside the ring and it's working for him.
    You say he's achieved nothing? Except of course two belts in the organisation he was previously in. Plus even if he does go on and win a title, will you like him then as it justifies the confidence (cockiness)? Of course you won't, so why pretend it's his attitude you don't like.

"If he was not irish", why create hypothetical situations? He is Irish, therefore he's going to get a lot support here with a bit more leeway than others. Despite this favouritism I can't think of many things he's said that are either not true or shouldn't have been said.
    We're a small island and to have a fighter so prominent in the UFC is incredible. He should, not unquestionably, have our support.

I doubt that tbh. He's massively popular with more than Irish fans.
    In the last week or two, I've seen;
    An Australian mma tv show link to the RTE doc saying it looked great.
    An MMA coach talk about Conor attitude to fighting,
    And I've had 3 people (English, Canadian & Australian) talk to me about Conor. These guys were all fans of McGregor.
    So I don't think his speak is an Irish thing tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

I think hes funny but i can imagine people might say they dont like him but he is irish and personally ill nearly always support someone irish.
    But what i do respect about him is he doesnt forget where he came from and i think at every opportunity he seems to give a shout out to other guys in his gym and tries to get them known.
    He puts us on the map so personally ill always support the guy he is one of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

The Oprah quote was gas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭RoboRat

It's not hard to understand why some would not like Connor is it? He is cocky, very arrogant for someone who has sofar achieved nothing and incredibly ignorant to his peers all of whom have achieved more than him. He is using the Chale strategy of staying relevant during downtime by WE drama and talking himself into fights.

Firstly, he was champion of 2 weight classes in Cage Warriors, whilst that is not the same level as the UFC, its by no means a mickey mouse organisation and there are some excellent fighters there.

In regards to staying relevant, what would you have him do? Be quiet and become obsolete? The guy pushed and pushed to get this chance and unfortunately he injured himself. I can speak from experience as I have twice torn my ACL and I can tell you one thing, I still cannot get my head around how he continued to fight. He is that determined to succeed in the UFC and the UFC is about entertainment, not just fighting.

They have cut fighters that don't entertain, only recently they cut Shields, they cut Jon Fitch who had a great record, The UFC are ruthless and will cut you if you are not loved/hated/an entertainer. If you don't entertain, you get cut and if you fall from the minds of the fans, you become obsolete and when you finally get back to fight, you have to regain all that interest which is extremely difficult on the second time of asking.

I think he has chosen the right strategy and I have to say, he is a hell of a lot more savvy than he makes himself out to be, much like Chael. You have to remember, Chael talked himself into a few title fights when in reality, he didn;t deserve them. He would have also been cut for the failed TRT test only for the fact that he is an entertainer.

I have the upmost respect for the guy because he is a great fighter but he is also extremely intelligent and affable. He is not some knuckle dragging neanderthal that the anti MMA brigade like to harp on about. He is charismatic, cocky and talented, all the things that modern Irish people should be except we like to drag each other down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

It's not hard to understand why some would not like Connor is it? He is cocky, very arrogant for someone who has sofar achieved nothing and incredibly ignorant to his peers all of whom have achieved more than him. He is using the Chale strategy of staying relevant during downtime by WWE drama and talking himself into fights.

He knows the right things to say, how is that a negative thing? His second UFC fight was almost the main event. His third fight he more than likely will be the main event. He's a strategist inside and outside the ring and it's working for him.
    You say he's achieved nothing? Except of course two belts in the organisation he was previously in. Plus even if he does go on and win a title, will you like him then as it justifies the confidence (cockiness)? Of course you won't, so why pretend it's his attitude you don't like.

"If he was not irish", why create hypothetical situations? He is Irish, therefore he's going to get a lot support here with a bit more leeway than others. Despite this favouritism I can't think of many things he's said that are either not true or shouldn't have been said.
    We're a small island and to have a fighter so prominent in the UFC is incredible. He should, not unquestionably, have our support.
    Mellor wrote: »
    I doubt that tbh. He's massively popular with more than Irish fans.
    In the last week or two, I've seen;
    An Australian mma tv show link to the RTE doc saying it looked great.
    An MMA coach talk about Conor attitude to fighting,
    And I've had 3 people (English, Canadian & Australian) talk to me about Conor. These guys were all fans of McGregor.
    So I don't think his speak is an Irish thing tbh.

All of them countries have a huge Irish population so that could have something to do with it.
    amkin25 wrote: »
    I think hes funny but i can imagine people might say they dont like him but he is irish and personally ill nearly always support someone irish.
    But what i do respect about him is he doesnt forget where he came from and i think at every opportunity he seems to give a shout out to other guys in his gym and tries to get them known.
    He puts us on the map so personally ill always support the guy he is one of us.
    RoboRat wrote: »
    Firstly, he was champion of 2 weight classes in Cage Warriors, whilst that is not the same level as the UFC, its by no means a mickey mouse organisation and there are some excellent fighters there.

In regards to staying relevant, what would you have him do? Be quiet and become obsolete? The guy pushed and pushed to get this chance and unfortunately he injured himself. I can speak from experience as I have twice torn my ACL and I can tell you one thing, I still cannot get my head around how he continued to fight. He is that determined to succeed in the UFC and the UFC is about entertainment, not just fighting.

They have cut fighters that don't entertain, only recently they cut Shields, they cut Jon Fitch who had a great record, The UFC are ruthless and will cut you if you are not loved/hated/an entertainer. If you don't entertain, you get cut and if you fall from the minds of the fans, you become obsolete and when you finally get back to fight, you have to regain all that interest which is extremely difficult on the second time of asking.

I think he has chosen the right strategy and I have to say, he is a hell of a lot more savvy than he makes himself out to be, much like Chael. You have to remember, Chael talked himself into a few title fights when in reality, he didn;t deserve them. He would have also been cut for the failed TRT test only for the fact that he is an entertainer.

I have the upmost respect for the guy because he is a great fighter but he is also extremely intelligent and affable. He is not some knuckle dragging neanderthal that the anti MMA brigade like to harp on about. He is charismatic, cocky and talented, all the things that modern Irish people should be except we like to drag each other down.

All this because 1 person say something negative about Conor ?

This is not the 1st time it's happened once someone says something negative people pounce the post.It's ridiculous, let people have their opinions.

A lot of what he said is true granted he has been champion in a Irish mma org.I think 90% of the fighter in the UFC could be champion in a Irish org.

Even making it into the UFC is a huge accomplishment and getting more than 1 fight.

I wish him well and hope he gets a good opponent soon so it will put any doubts to a end.

Advertisement