Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC DUBLIN 19th JULY **Start time info in post #1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭lertsnim

amkin25 wrote: »
    Will this be pay per view for those of us who wont be going to it live?

BT Sport will be showing it. It wont be PPV anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

You sure the card doesnt be available on ufc website for a tenner or something ? I got the last one which was a fight night something on the ufc website for around a tenner.

I mean i got it the last time conor was fighting granted about a year ago but i think it was fight night .

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

amkin25 wrote: »
    I mean i got it the last time conor was fighting granted about a year ago but i think it was fight night .

Hope you didn't pay a tenner for it, his fight was streamed free. It probably will be streamed through fight pass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

glad ufc is coming back

but this card is shaping up to be pretty poor-worse than the rubbish cards that the UK gets. think only 1 or 2 fights would make it onto a US main card-at best

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

pauldoo wrote: »
    glad ufc is coming back

but this card is shaping up to be pretty poor-worse than the rubbish cards that the UK gets. think only 1 or 2 fights would make it onto a US main card-at best

To be honest, what exactly were you expecting? With the way the UFC is formatted these days, it's the best card we could hope for and to be honest I think it looks pretty good.

MMA seems like a bit of a cult following over here to an extent but there's good hype about the card and largely down to RTE showing the McGregor documentary and McGregor's likable personality.

It's a 'fight night' event. Was never gonna have any of the top level guys on it but there's enough to keep me happy anyway. Pickett/McCall should be a great fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The Conor, Gunni, Pickett & Seery fights *should* be excellent. Could have been a much worse card.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

If people look at it properly this is a really strong card.

Gunni vs La Flare is two unbeaten prospects. I expect Gunni to win and that will push him into the top ten and maybe only two fights from a title shot.
    Pickett v McCall looks like a title shot eliminator, especially if Brad wins.
    Then there is Connor in the main event which we surely all expected and are quite happy about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I like this card a lot.
    No matter what the card, some people will complain, people who only catch 1 or 2 events a year and expected the return GSP or Silva.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

lertsnim wrote: »
    BT Sport will be showing it. It wont be PPV anywhere.

Isn't it on fightpass? I hope BT show it if I don't make it to the show but I don't know how things work with fightpass

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

With the UFC's expansion, this fight night card is about par for the course with ones they've put on recently and will probably reflect the standard of the cards going forward. You hardly expect them to throw a card like a PPV our way. As is they're guaranteed to sell the place out and in Gunnar & Conor have two of the biggest prospects in MMA who've a storied history in this country. A longtime, realistic fight fan will be pretty pleased as to the quality of this card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Mellor wrote: »
    I like this card a lot.
    No matter what the card, some people will complain, people who only catch 1 or 2 events a year and expected the return GSP or Silva.

couple of my friends wanted Ken Shamrock and Chuck Liddell

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭pauldoo

Mellor wrote: »
    I like this card a lot.

Pretty much catch every event, been to a number of events too. Not expecting a top class card like we got the last time but would expect a couple of top ranked fighters to headline. The 2 fights mentioned above will be great, after that the card is lacking and living off mcgregor's popularity.

like the way having a negative opinion on this cards automatically means i dont watch enough fights.

pauldoo wrote: »
    Pretty much catch every event, been to a number of events too. Not expecting a top class card like we got the last time but would expect a couple of top ranked fighters to headline. The 2 fights mentioned above will be great, after that the card is lacking and living off mcgregor's popularity.

like the way having a negative opinion on this cards automatically means i dont watch enough fights.

I agree but these day's since the ufc joined with fox,card's have always been very thin compared to a few years back.
    They had to cancel a ufc event coz jon jones wasn't fighting there a while back coz that card was so thin,jones was the only decent name on the card.
    It is a fairly thin card but this is the new ufc with load's of event's throughout the year but all pretty thin on name's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Problem is there is way more people training MMA so alot more fighters.UFC is catering for rise so more cards are put on.Sadly some are hit and miss.

Me personally I prefer way it was before 8 solid cards a year.I think there was 3 events in 1 week not so long ago.

I remember Dana saying years ago UFC is what it is because every fight could headline the card.(Not anymore Dana):pac:

He was comparing it to Boxing saying they only have 1 good fight on the card rest are fillers.

UFC is very close to that now.

Too much of anything is bad in the long run.

(I'll just go hide before I get called names and I don't know UFC comments :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

If you don't like it or prefer to watch 8 a year, then do that. Those of us who just wish to watch fights, will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

dave1982 wrote: »

I think all that is clear to see. In trying to expand the brand they are putting on more events than ever before in more countries and the cards are naturally suffering for it. Where there could have been a card with a number of "big names" on it, those big names are now more thinly spread out. It's not to say the fight cards have been any less entertaining but that star stacked card is what every fan wants for their country's event.

Ultimately though I don't think we've got a bad card. Hotel is booked and I'm just hoping all those with newsletter and fight club access don't take all the good seats. I have to book through ticketmaster to get a discount and I'll hold grudges if all the good seats are gone earlier than the 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

If you’re an Irish MMA fan and you genuinely want to see someone other than Conor McGregor headline the UFC Dublin card, there is something wrong with your brain. Please seek the help of a healthcare professional, it may be serious.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    If you’re an Irish MMA fan and you genuinely want to see someone other than Conor McGregor headline the UFC Dublin card, there is something wrong with your brain. Please seek the help of a healthcare professional, it may be serious.

Yeah, why wouldn't you want to watch an untested injury prone guy that's never came close to beating a top ten and that has talked more than fought headline an event? Nationalistic pride should always matter more!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

gallag wrote: »
    Yeah, why wouldn't you want to watch an untested injury prone guy that's never came close to beating a top ten and that has talked more than fought headline an event? Nationalistic pride should always matter more!

Seriously, a quick scan is all it would take. These things can be tackled if caught early enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I'm just hoping all those with newsletter and fight club access don't take all the good seats. I have to book through ticketmaster to get a discount and I'll hold grudges if all the good seats are gone earlier than the 6th.

Fightclub members will be booking through Ticketmaster too ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭p to the e

I was originally of the idea that we needed a known name or title eliminator but I've definitely warmed to the idea that the O2 will never be louder than when Conor McGregor lays out the heel in this story that is Cole Miller. That's a headline act in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

dave1982 wrote: »
    Problem is there is way more people training MMA so alot more fighters.UFC is catering for rise so more cards are put on.Sadly some are hit and miss.

Me personally I prefer way it was before 8 solid cards a year.I think there was 3 events in 1 week not so long ago.

I remember Dana saying years ago UFC is what it is because every fight could headline the card.(Not anymore Dana):pac:

He was comparing it to Boxing saying they only have 1 good fight on the card rest are fillers.

UFC is very close to that now.

Too much of anything is bad in the long run.

There's a difference now though.

Back when Dana said that, there were few cards. 8-10 a year? All relatively stacked. You'd get 5-6 events that were full of top stars. The rest would be great but not as top heavy as the others.

These days you still get that, but there are a lot more fighters and a lot more fights. How many times have you watched an event that on paper was muck but ended up being awesome!

The solution would be to have two official UFC tiers. Kinda like Pride Bushido (without the need to be a particular weight). That's in effect kind of already with "Fight Night" cards being a lower tier, but it should be made official. Then there'd be no real watering of the brand and people would know what they were getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Anyone know what price ranges the tickets will be?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭DjembaDjemba

So you need to be signed up to the ufc newsletter to get a code for presale for this show or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Anyway we could sticky these as a reference to the kind of card we can expect?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_on_Fuel_TV:_Mousasi_vs._Latifi (yes Gustaffson was without him it was a woeful main event)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Fight_Night:_Saffiedine_vs._Lim
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_Fight_Night:_Munoz_vs._Mousasi

And that's excluding any of the UK cards.

Remember, the card is only half filled. Many of those that were announced will likely be prelim fights. You can expect a few more more recognisable names.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

I would love to know what people really expected here, take out a map and look at the size of Ireland and the population here. The UFC, for better or worse, is now a worldwide organisation...gone are the days or 8/9 events per year. More events mean diluted cards, end of story. Why not sit back and enjoy the atmosphere that will be witnessed on this night, it will be insane. Seery will lift the roof off, the adopted Irishman Nelson will do the same and God only knows what it will be like when McGregor walks to the ring. Hopefully Parke can also get on this card and with Pickett already on it, there will be some great match ups. I was at UFC London a month back and the 2 co-main events were the most boring fights, Pickett/Seery was brilliant, as the Nelson fight. Maybe the people complaining shouldn't bother looking for tickets and leave it to the people who will get it tight to get tickets but are looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement