Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC DUBLIN 19th JULY **Start time info in post #1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Lads surely everyone was expecting another big name or two,last time around we had shogun franklin coleman and Henderson on the card!! I'm disappointed with the fights so far I know mcgregor will be main event which will be sweet but it would have been great to get a few more big fights!! I know we can't be too picky over here coz they know it will sell out in half an hour

You have to remember that the UFC had far fewer shows the last time they were here. These days the UFC in Europe is almost a completely separate thing to the rest, with a bit of crossover. This is a Fight Night card, not a PPV, so there won't be many/any of the 'big' names here. Tough, but have to accept it. Still that Pickett/McCall fight is going to be brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Lads surely everyone was expecting another big name or two,last time around we had shogun franklin coleman and Henderson on the card!! I'm disappointed with the fights so far I know mcgregor will be main event which will be sweet but it would have been great to get a few more big fights!! I know we can't be too picky over here coz they know it will sell out in half an hour

UFC is a lot different now though. At that time nearly all their cards were full of big names. Since Fox/FX and all that malarky, any cards in Europe are B-level cards.

That said, we still don't know who's going to be in the main event. I wouldn't be so sure about McGregor. He hasn't even fought on the main card yet and Nelson has, plus Nelson has more UFC fights and he's only in the co-main event.

I hope they stick a WW/MW/LW title contention fight in the main event. Miller vs. Nurmagomedov would be perfect, and Nurmogomedov is from Europe so it makes sense that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

kg703 wrote: »
    It said startin from 50 euro. Fight club all the way, lucky someone I'm going with is part of it! Mcgregor defo gonna be main card, I'm hoping to god miller drops in and they throw guida in for a five rounder

How much is fight club?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

UFC is a lot different now though. At that time nearly all their cards were full of big names. Since Fox/FX and all that malarky, any cards in Europe are B-level cards.

That said, we still don't know who's going to be in the main event. I wouldn't be so sure about McGregor. He hasn't even fought on the main card yet and Nelson has, plus Nelson has more UFC fights and he's only in the co-main event.

I hope they stick a WW/MW/LW title contention fight in the main event. Miller vs. Nurmagomedov would be perfect, and Nurmogomedov is from Europe so it makes sense that way.

It all started to go wrong when Setanta went tits up, they had a contract with UFC that guaranteed a minimum of 5 (i think) events per year in our time zone, No coincidence that went Setanta went so did our decent cards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I have to say well done to Conor if he pulls off a main event slot on his 3rd fight in the UFC, its impressive on his part.

Compared to UFC 93 we are getting raped big time, this is nearly glorified cage rage card with UFC prices

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

How much is fight club?

Different tiers; the cheapest that includes pre sales is around 55 euro ($75)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

Different tiers; the cheapest that includes pre sales is around 55 euro ($75)

65 including tax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

I can't understand why/how people can expect a big name card for Dublin? We're a very small market for the UFC and to be honest, like Sweden, they know that majority will be happy simply that they're here. I lie in the middle - I'm not convinced McGregor is main event worthy, but I understand it's an easy call for the UFC to make. They've done it in Asia before so we're not the first.

The UK, which is a bigger market, has been getting equally mediocre cards if you're judging it by the US standards. They have more right to complain since they're a bigger player, money wise. Meaningless Bisping/Pearson fights seem to be what their cards will be based around. They got lucky having Machida on a recent card due to Bisping's injury and that was a nice change.

However, if we get a card with Picket/McCall and McGregor/Guida (much prefer this to Miller) then we're getting two great fights. There's more to come and just because they're not huge names doesn't mean they won't be good fights.

I remember going to the UFC in Birmingham in 2011. People complained about Pickett getting a fight against a 'nobody' like Renan Barao. Now look at him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

peejay1986 wrote: »
    I can't understand why/how people can expect a big name card for Dublin? We're a very small market for the UFC and to be honest, like Sweden, they know that majority will be happy simply that they're here. I lie in the middle - I'm not convinced McGregor is main event worthy, but I understand it's an easy call for the UFC to make. They've done it in Asia before so we're not the first.

The UK, which is a bigger market, has been getting equally mediocre cards if you're judging it by the US standards. They have more right to complain since they're a bigger player, money wise. Meaningless Bisping/Pearson fights seem to be what their cards will be based around. They got lucky having Machida on a recent card due to Bisping's injury and that was a nice change.

However, if we get a card with Picket/McCall and McGregor/Guida (much prefer this to Miller) then we're getting two great fights. There's more to come and just because they're not huge names doesn't mean they won't be good fights.

I remember going to the UFC in Birmingham in 2011. People complained about Pickett getting a fight against a 'nobody' like Renan Barao. Now
    look at him.

Who? Don't you mean HHHenan Barao?

*gets his coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

I've heard that Mitrione v Hunt will headline from a reliable source in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Happy enough with fights so far, the main event could swing it. Wouldn't mind McGregor v Clay or Dustin Poirier, Dennis Siver

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

canonball5 wrote: »

Thats a big journey for Hunt, if they face off not sure Dub makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭thelibertyboy

seriously or a joke ?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Conor tweeted this just after beyond the octagon ended. Subtly confirms his presence on the evening.

"@TheNotoriousMMA: BREAKING NEWS: Only the King breaks the King's news."

Hopefully they announce he's fighting a lion or a bear. Otherwise I will feel disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

I've heard it's all but done. Conor will fight Miller too.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

There's no way they're going to risk Guida dry humping McGregor to a decision in front of the Irish crowd. They'll give him someone that will try to stand and bang with Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

There's no way McGregor doesn't headline this card IMO.

And I reckon Pendred and Fields will be announced on the card once TUF is over, provided they don't reach the final that is.

Roar wrote: »
    There's no way McGregor doesn't headline this card IMO.

And I reckon Pendred and Fields will be announced on the card once TUF is over, provided they don't reach the final that is.

TUF Spoiler:
    Cathal is only 1 fight away from the finale so i doubt he'd be there, Chris maybe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭DK224

seriously or a joke ?:P

A nice Heavyweight fight like that would top off an already good card in my eyes. Hope we get two decent Heavies going at in on the night!

What annoys the crap outta me and always has is the ticket prices, compared to U.S events

For Dublin tickets are gonna be between 50 and 250Euro for a Fight Night.

Tickets for the Fight Night in Cincinnati on May 11 are $53 - $178, that's approx 37Euro to 128Euro for top priced ringside.

Really does take the piss at times yet it'll sell out in a day

• Registered Users Posts: 39,035 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Most things are cheaper in the states, and wages are significantly lower too. Directly concerting currency will overlook that. In terms of hours work min-wage they two are prob much closer, might make you feel better.

Mellor wrote: »
    Most things are cheaper in the states, and wages are significantly lower too. Directly concerting currency will overlook that. In terms of hours work min-wage they two are prob much closer, might make you feel better.

nah, i like hating ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

scudzilla wrote: »
    nah, i like hating ;)

You're now a true Irishman. Congratulations. You'll receive a welcome pack in the post.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

El Guapo! wrote: »
    You're now a true Irishman. Congratulations. You'll receive a welcome pack in the post.

[GRUMBLE]Yeah, if An Post manage to deliver it on time. Or don't lose it altogether![/GRUMBLE]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If the main event eventually is McGregor v Miller I honestly don't think it's that bad a card.

McGregor v Miller
    Gunnar v LaFlare
    Pickett v McCall

Is a very decent top 3 fights and maybe more importantly they should all be good fights. The UFC run way way more shows now than they did in 2009 so the chances of getting any of the bigger names on the card are probably remote. They have so many other cards to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

scudzilla wrote: »
    Cathal is only 1 fight away from the finale so i doubt he'd be there, Chris maybe

Spoiler ...? If it hasnt aired, its a spoiler...

Id rather not know these things...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Spoiler ...? If it hasnt aired, its a spoiler...

Id rather not know these things...

Agreed I havent seen the latest episode so avoided the TUF thread so not pleased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Careful with the spoilers lads.

Advertisement