Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Eating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

biddy2013 wrote: »
    no running allowed in our school yard:mad:

That is frankly insane. Do they counter that with decent PE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

ur fcuking kidding, is it a young offenders establishment run by steve staunton, who would stop kids running in school and why

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

And what did the peer review state? 100 people is not a decent sample size, would you go away out of it :p The European study on cancer rates consists of 400k people.

Also, why do you yourself feel a study done on 100 obese people for 6 weeks is a strong study?

When you start a study you perform a statistical calculation called a sample size estimation. You factor in a number of things including what outcome you would deem clinically as opposed to statistically significant. This calculation determines the amount of people you need in the study to determine whether your result would be simply due to chance or statistical significance. Significance is usually set as p<0.05 which means you can be 95% confident your result is not due to chance. In this case because p=0.0016 we can be almost 99.9% sure.

The cancer study you mention is an epidemiological study, and is observational. Observational studies need many more patients to reach significance.

Interventional lifestyle studies such as the one I cited typically have 1-200 patients in them.

It's a good study because it isolates one variable while keeping others the same. It's randomised to remove investigator bias. And it achieved a highly significant result. Really it's a very good study of its type.

mods maybe we could have a seperate thread on the ins and outs of a study and statistical calculations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

hugo29 wrote: »
    ur fcuking kidding, is it a young offenders establishment run by steve staunton, who would stop kids running in school and why
    school yard is cramped, kids can run into each other around corners, waiting a decision on permission for an extension.

• Advertisement

school yard is cramped, kids can run into each other around corners, waiting a decision on permission for an extension.

jayus, thats like something from craggy island, maybe get a few traffic lights:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There you go. No running for you, runawaybishop.

youngest lad is in senior infants, small break 11.00-11.10, then at big break 12.30 they go outside first for 10-15 minutes then back into class for the last 15 minutes to eat their lunch. Each class has a specific area of the playground alloted to them. When his class go in at 12.45 junior infants come out and play in the area that the senior infants where in. There is a small football pitch but the older classes use that. It cannot be used in this weather , so the area is even more cramped:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I just can't understand this...
    So the schools have their insurance in place.. Speaking for our local schools parents are encouraged to then take out seperate insurance which covers kids 24*7*365, its not expensive (maybe €12 a year) and from our last school report 99% of families were doing it.
    What are the school afraid of ?? surely the damage being done daily to all the childrens health far outweighs any "incidents" that might happen..

We'll never have a healthy population while these draconian practices exist in schools !!

When you start a study you perform a statistical calculation called a sample size estimation. You factor in a number of things including what outcome you would deem clinically as opposed to statistically significant. This calculation determines the amount of people you need in the study to determine whether your result would be simply due to chance or statistical significance. Significance is usually set as p<0.05 which means you can be 95% confident your result is not due to chance. In this case because p=0.0016 we can be almost 99.9% sure.

The cancer study you mention is an epidemiological study, and is observational. Observational studies need many more patients to reach significance.

Interventional lifestyle studies such as the one I cited typically have 1-200 patients in them.

It's a good study because it isolates one variable while keeping others the same. It's randomised to remove investigator bias. And it achieved a highly significant result. Really it's a very good study of its type.

How the hell is a study conducted on obese woman with no control over diet considered good?

• Advertisement

bbam wrote: »
    So the schools have their insurance in place.. Speaking for our local schools parents are encouraged to then take out seperate insurance which covers kids 24*7*365, its not expensive (maybe €12 a year) and from our last school report 99% of families were doing it.
    What are the school afraid of ?? surely the damage being done daily to all the childrens health far outweighs any "incidents" that might happen..

We'll never have a healthy population while these draconian practices exist in schools !!
    You have never met the principle, even i am afraid of her:D no there where a few accidents, kids running in to each other,broken teeth, banged heads.... yes we have school insurance and the way the school yard is there would not be enough supervision available to watch all areas at all times if kids where legging it around.

its health and safety gone mad

You have never met the principle, even i am afraid of her:D no there where a few accidents, kids running in to each other,broken teeth, banged heads.... yes we have school insurance and the way the school yard is there would not be enough supervision available to watch all areas at all times if kids where legging it around.

There will always be bumps and scrapes.. theyre kids..
    Our school have the juniors and seniors divided from the older kids, that works well.. I hear of the odd incident where kids get knocked over, our own lass got a good fall one day, but to think of stopping them running about is just absurd !!

That principal is making her own life easier, but at the potential expense of all the kids health !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

This is the general consus of health professionals world wide !

It was.

But as I said earlier in the thread, new research is being released which says otherwise. You have to remember that the general consensus of health professionals world wide up to 2 or 3 years ago was that more than 1 egg per day was bad for us, that diet and low fat branded food was better for our health than full fat, that butter was bad for us and oil based processed spreads like flora were good for our health.

Ask your wife - how does she feel about eggs, butter and full fat food?

I'm sure that she will tell you that in the modern training that she does for her career, she has learned that many of the things that she was educated that were bad for us 20 years ago when she was in college have now turned out to be really good for us.

Also ask her how she feels about a high fruit diet as opposed to a balanced diet with adequate amounts of fruit and veg, nuts, eggs, lean meat, full fat dairy etc. Diabetes or not, no dietician will claim that a high fruit diet is better for you than a balanced diet!

youngest lad just has pe on a friday. Had an issue with a teacher a few years ago kids never ever ever did pe, i lost the rag, what was the point in buying the pe tracksuit, kids need to get out for pe especially if they are not allowed to run at breaktime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The kids in our local school have to run laps for the last five minutes of the big break, with no exceptions, the Principle want everyone to be able to run 2k, and has great support from the parents

reilig wrote: »
    It was.

But as I said earlier in the thread, new research is being released which says otherwise. You have to remember that the general consensus of health professionals world wide up to 2 or 3 years ago was that more than 1 egg per day was bad for us, that diet and low fat branded food was better for our health than full fat, that butter was bad for us and oil based processed spreads like flora were good for our health.

Ask your wife - how does she feel about eggs, butter and full fat food?

I'm sure that she will tell you that in the modern training that she does for her career, she has learned that many of the things that she was educated that were bad for us 20 years ago when she was in college have now turned out to be really good for us.

Also ask her how she feels about a high fruit diet as opposed to a balanced diet with adequate amounts of fruit and veg, nuts, eggs, lean meat, full fat dairy etc. Diabetes or not, no dietician will claim that a high fruit diet is better for you than a balanced diet!

I showed her the thread and she was amazed, she doesn't swear often but it was colourful :o:o

She would be fully comitted to people getting in as much varied fruit and veg as is possible every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I showed her the thread and she was amazed, she doesn't swear often but it was colourful :o:o

She would be fully comitted to people getting in as much varied fruit and veg as is possible every day.

She swore at me saying that a balanced diet was better than a high fruit diet????

I have seen people on high fruit diets lose teeth because of the fructose rotting them!

Another reason to balance the amount that you give to your children!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

That is the most insane thing I have event heard. Ridiculous. Sure scabby knees and bruises are a permanent feature of childhood :pac:

The laps idea at the end of the lunch from tabby aspreme's school might be a good here?

gadetra wrote: »
    That is the most insane thing I have event heard. Ridiculous. Sure scabby knees and bruises are a permanent feature of childhood :pac:

The laps idea at the end of the lunch from tabby spreme's school might be a good here?

you forgot the "a" we wont ask :D

• Advertisement

The kids in our local school have to run laps for the last five minutes of the big break, with no exceptions, the Principle want everyone to be able to run 2k, and has great support from the parents

great idea, must raise it at the next parents association

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

She swore at me saying that a balanced diet was better than a high fruit diet????

I have seen people on high fruit diets lose teeth because of the fructose rotting them!

@reilig I posted an article in cycling forum in "energy gels" thread on bio chemistry of fructose. On mobile so can't repost it.

Ad someone who had wild blackberries last night, one should consider sugar content of modern farmed selected fruit vis a vis wild

She's be much too nice to swear at you Rellig !!
    No she was horrified at the idea of recommending the general population to "restrict" to two portions of fruit daily.

Obviously a balanced diet is important but in general there is no need to restrict fruit intake.. As long as its as part of a balanced intake overall there is no need to restrict fruit intake.. 3, 4 or 5 portions of fruit a day are healthy as part of a balanced diet.. Obviously people with underlying conditions must balance everythiong they eat.

There is a small point to be made regarding fruit sugars/acid and teeth.. But the majority of cavities are caused by rubbish foods (sweeets and fizzy minerals) and poor oral hygene. If one was to be given the choice I'd suffer the risk of a few cavities for the benifets of eating fresh fruit and veg bring. I think if you look at professional dental information they don't say not to eat fruit, they recommend proper oral hygene to prevent damage to your teeth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

hugo29 wrote: »
    you forgot the "a" we wont ask :D

Sorted. And :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

How the hell is a study conducted on obese woman with no control over diet considered good?

There was control over diet, I give up, read the study.
    ford2600 wrote: »
    @reilig I posted an article in cycling forum in "energy gels" thread on bio chemistry of fructose. On mobile so can't repost it.

Ad someone who had wild blackberries last night, one should consider sugar content of modern farmed selected fruit vis a vis wild

Ever had a wild strawberry? Wild fruit is just as sweet as farmed.

Can't understand the disparagement of fruit on this thread at all. People get fat eating processed food, not fruit.

There was control over diet, I give up, read the study.

There was no control, not in reality. Asking obese people to follow a diet plan is not sufficient control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Ever had a wild strawberry? Wild fruit is just as sweet as farmed.

Can't understand the disparagement of fruit on this thread at all. People get fat eating processed food, not fruit.[/QUOTE]

Yes I've 10kgs of wild fruit still left in freezer from autumn.

My wife purchased blackberries yesterday for pancakes, they are enormous compared to the wild ones I consumed. Fruit size and sweetness along with our access to it has changed dramatically in last 100 years. It was typically only available during summer/autumn.

Fruit is selected to be sweet & large among other criteria.

I'm not against fruit, but if someone is following the food pyramid and eating 5+ portions of fruit on top of unlimited grains/carbohydates it will play a role spiking insulin.

I eat a high fat diet and deliberately eat unlimited fruit after very long cycles(up to 15hrs) to spike insulin and aid recovery. I avoid it early in day as it throws my body out of fat burning and makes me hungry.

Some light reading on the bio chemistry, I've quoted a small section

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...&postcount=307

There are two other things about fructose that make it different from glucose. One is that all the fructose you eat is cleared on its first pass through the liver. In other words, the liver scarfs up all the fructose and immediately converts it to fat, while glucose stays in the bloodstream for some period of time. That’s why we call starches hyperglycemic molecules; they keep glucose levels in your bloodstream high for a long time. That is good for the brain - the brain loves to eat glucose. It’s good for the muscle. But fructose doesn’t actually supply any energy to your brain at all, it doesn’t supply any energy to your muscle; it only gets stored as fat. That’s really quite remarkable, if you think about it. You eat sucrose - one molecule of glucose and one molecule of fructose - that glucose is being used by your muscle and your brain - your brain loves getting that glucose - but the fructose is all just getting stored as fat.

Can't understand the disparagement of fruit on this thread at all. People get fat eating processed food, not fruit.

People get fat by eating too much.

People get fat by eating too much.

People become overweight by eating more calories than they expend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

People become overweight by eating more calories than they expend.

Like my neighbour who has pounded the road for years and still can't shift the excess weight, she likes a mountain of food on her dinner plate and also likes sugary treats :)

Advertisement