Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Eating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stop thelights

reilig wrote: »
    I said that too much fruit was a path to diabetes. I did not mean that it wasn't good for weigh loss. The sugar in fruit has the same impact on blood sugar as processed sugar found in diabetes and as the starch found in potato and pasta!

What yours wife's opinion on having a smoothie first thing in the morning of grapefruit/ orange juice freshly squeezed, natural yougurt, almonds, banana and wheat grass powder mixed up?? One of friends has this in the morning swears by it!

Personally I try to eat as natural and as varied food as possible each week. Porridge in the morn with chia seeds. Beef, chick, salmon dinner and brown bread home made soup then evening, as a self employed person it's really important that you don't get sick as there really no days off!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

The idea of smoothies is great, such a varied mix of ingredients..
    But, by blending the fruit so much you're loosing out allot on the fibre effect of filling you up.. Fruit is great, if your hungry an apple & a bananna will bring you along way... highly blended you won't get that satisfying feeling as much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

ford2600 wrote: »
    Guilty of that too.

Had a 1500 calorie omlette for lunch. Yum yum

Breakfast Saturday before 200km cycle. A few nuts and apple at 160km did the rest.

High fat real food is king

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭biddy2013

Guilty of that too.

Had a 1500 calorie omlette for lunch. Yum yum
    bought an omelette maker in aldi a few weeks ago, very handy for breakfast

biddy2013 wrote: »
    bought an omelette maker in aldi a few weeks ago, very handy for breakfast

Why not use a frying pan? Is it easier.
    Slow cooking the veg is key.

• Advertisement

Why not use a frying pan? Is it easier.
    Slow cooking the veg is key.
    the ones i do on the pan fall apart, it takes about 12 minutes to cook in the maker, no turning, plenty of veg in it

biddy2013 wrote: »
    the ones i do on the pan fall apart, it takes about 12 minutes to cook in the maker, no turning, plenty of veg in it

Plenty fat, coconut or butter and they won't stick ai fall apart

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Thats not a very good study - small group, sex bias, no discussion on activity levels, overweight to begin with, comparing a high fruit with low fruit diet means nothing unless you are addressing the total diet.

People who eat fruit might be the leanest, but that doesn't mean they are lean because they eat fruit.

It is a good study, the group was small but the results were statistically significant, the subjects were randomised, activity levels were controlled for in the analysis. They applied the same diets except for the difference in fruit consumption, only changing one thing is the very definition of good science.
    I said that too much fruit was a path to diabetes. I did not mean that it wasn't good for weigh loss. The sugar in fruit has the same impact on blood sugar as processed sugar found in diabetes and as the starch found in potato and pasta!

Sugar doesn't cause diabetes type two in and of itself. The pathogenesis of diabetes is characterised by an abundance of free fatty acids circulating in the blood causing tissues to lose insulin sensitivity resulting in eventual beta cell burnout and insulin insufficiency.

In the majority of cases this is as a result of obesity.

I've yet to see any evidence that eating too much fruit contributes to obesity more than any other food. In fact there is significant evidence that fruit is so filling that it is hard to eat so much that you can gain weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

It is a good study, the group was small but the results were statistically significant, the subjects were randomised, activity levels were controlled for in the analysis. They applied the same diets except for the difference in fruit consumption, only changing one thing is the very definition of good science.

I disagree that its a good study. Are you aware of any peers reviews?

I disagree that its a good study. Are you aware of any peers reviews?

Sorry don't follow? You can disagree but it doesn't really mean anything until you provide evidence to the contrary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Been around the same weight for 20 years but I put on a stone over the winter and lose it away at this time of year.the problem with weight is all down to exercise and people are doing feck all.I have a kind of jeckle and hyde psychosis with food id -id eat grand healthy dinners and lunches and then get a notion to clear a packet of biscuits or crisps or whatever.btw I'm supposed to be obese according to the bmi but that just the way im built

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sj.co

Hi all
    I joined slimming world the other night and sorta know what I'm doing!! Can anyone tell me about bread. What bread am I allowed apart from whole meal?? Did I hear something at group about a bread called "nimble" or something. Much appreciated.
    Sj

Sj.co wrote: »
    Hi all
    I joined slimming world the other night and sorta know what I'm doing!! Can anyone tell me about bread. What bread am I allowed apart from whole meal?? Did I hear something at group about a bread called "nimble" or something. Much appreciated.
    Sj
    there is a slimming world thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056398510

Small amounts of bread are just fine for nearly everyone, preferably whole meal. Providing your careful with the toppings and don't eat too many slices.

It's very hard long term to live without bread and your diet should be sustainable long term rather than any fad type thing.

I ha a friend complaining that bread was making him fat. He was eating 12-14 slices a day ! And having brea three times a day. He tried stopping it but that didn't work.
    Now he just wats bread once a day and no more than two slices, managed to loose weight fine.

Similar to no carb diets. It's unsustainable so even if you loose weight short term it will go back on as nobody can live a normal life without eating carbs in some form. Far better to get yourself eating a moderate ammount of carbs and a balanced diet and increase exercise to loose weight. It will be much more sustainable and better for you in the long run as it prevents weight yo yoing which is very bad for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Sugar doesn't cause diabetes type two in and of itself. The pathogenesis of diabetes is characterised by an abundance of free fatty acids circulating in the blood causing tissues to lose insulin sensitivity resulting in eventual beta cell burnout and insulin insufficiency.

In the majority of cases this is as a result of obesity.

I've yet to see any evidence that eating too much fruit contributes to obesity more than any other food. In fact there is significant evidence that fruit is so filling that it is hard to eat so much that you can gain weight.

Sugar has a major impact on blood sugar levels which have a lot of control over what and when we eat. eating a lot of sugar, even in fruit, is a major cause of overeating which causes weight gain and ultimately diabetes.

Like everything else, it's best to eat fruit in moderation. Vegetables are better for you. They contain enough vitamins and minerals and fill you up without major impact on your blood sugar levels.

bbam wrote: »
    Small amounts of bread are just fine for nearly everyone, preferably whole meal. Providing your careful with the toppings and don't eat too many slices.

It's very hard long term to live without bread and your diet should be sustainable long term rather than any fad type thing.

I ha a friend complaining that bread was making him fat. He was eating 12-14 slices a day ! And having brea three times a day. He tried stopping it but that didn't work.
    Now he just wats bread once a day and no more than two slices, managed to loose weight fine.

Similar to no carb diets. It's unsustainable so even if you loose weight short term it will go back on as nobody can live a normal life without eating carbs in some form. Far better to get yourself eating a moderate ammount of carbs and a balanced diet and increase exercise to loose weight. It will be much more sustainable and better for you in the long run as it prevents weight yo yoing which is very bad for you.

I rarely eat bread because I have an intolerance to grains. I have learned to live without it because I have had to. However, I most certainly agree with you that eating properly is about balance. We can't live without Carbs. I get essential carbs through veg like sweet potato, sweet corn, butternut squash, as well as bananas, beans, lentils, yogurt etc. When I was trying to lose weight, I found that if i timed my intake of carbs properly, it assisted with weight loss. Having porridge in the morning meant that my body had the whole day to burn off the. Eating carbs 2 hours before or up to 1 hour after exercise also worked well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

We used eat rakes of sh!te food in the 80's, calvita cheese that looked and tasted like rubber, sweets with fcuk loads of sugar and colourants since banned by the EU, soda stream fizzy drinks, Mr Freezes and do know what there were very few kids waddling around the place putting on condition cos we didn't sit on our h0les playing computer games and on the interweb. We went swimming in the river, making rafts, climbing trees, doing the bollix down the fields, tramping over bogs, cycled if you had a bike and walked if you didn't; now kids have to have all the playtimes 'organised' for them by adults and bussed from venue to venue. Fcuking 'playdates'.

Sugar has a major impact on blood sugar levels which have a lot of control over what and when we eat. eating a lot of sugar, even in fruit, is a major cause of overeating which causes weight gain and ultimately diabetes.

Like everything else, it's best to eat fruit in moderation. Vegetables are better for you. They contain enough vitamins and minerals and fill you up without major impact on your blood sugar levels.

Eating fruit does not cause diabetes nor cause you to become overweight.. This just isn't true.. It's so far from the truth its just crazy talk.

Your body needs some sugar and fruit is a perfect source, your body is designed to deal with sugar, particularly natural sugars rather than highly refined sugars.

We used eat rakes of sh!te food in the 80's, calvita cheese that looked and tasted like rubber, sweets with fcuk loads of sugar and colourants since banned by the EU, soda stream fizzy drinks, Mr Freezes and do know what there were very few kids waddling around the place putting on condition cos we didn't sit on our h0les playing computer games and on the interweb. We went swimming in the river, making rafts, climbing trees, doing the bollix down the fields, tramping over bogs; now kids have to have all the playtimes 'organised' for them by adults and bussed from venue to venue. Fcuking 'playdates'.

Its not a lack of exercise, most kids still get plenty. Parents are feeding their kids too much and feeding them sh1te food. It would take an average adult about 3 miles of jogging to burn off a snickers. You can't out-exercise a bad diet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Its not a lack of exercise, most kids still get plenty. Parents are feeding their kids too much and feeding them sh1te food. It would take an average adult about 3 miles of jogging to burn off a snickers. You can't out-exercise a bad diet.

Do they? They can hardly run in the school playground now for fear of falling and cutting themselves. Public playgrounds are vanishing in case someone injures themselves and sues. Agree that some parents are pretty clueless about how to feed their offspring though, instead of bacon and cabbage, fire out a frozen pizza. Notice a lot of parents buying convenience food and gallons of Coke at the supermarkets, a lot of 'kid pleasing' I suspect, if we didn't eat what was on the plate you'd go hungry and you'd eat it the next time.

EDIT oh nearly forgot, we were fit when we had to stack turf...pike hay/silage...stack bales...and the most hated job of all PICKING STONES.

Eating fruit does not cause diabetes nor cause you to become overweight.. This just isn't true.. It's so far from the truth its just crazy talk.

Your body needs some sugar and fruit is a perfect source, your body is designed to deal with sugar, particularly natural sugars rather than highly refined sugars.

But you are only picking part of what I said.
    In a post earlier, you posted that you counted that your family ate more than 100 pieces of fruit per week. I said that this was excessive and could lead to diabetes in the future. 100 pieces of fruit per week is not a balanced diet for a family.

I totally agree that your body needs some sugar and that fruit is the perfect source, and that your body is designed to deal with sugar, particularly natural sugar - but not 10 portions per person per day!

5 portions of fruit and veg per person per day, not 5 portions of fruit. Average 5 portions of fruit and veg per day over a week is what is recommended. If you eat 10 portions of fruit then your body has to work overtime to deal with the sugar from it - natural sugar or not!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/09/16/fruit-consumption-diabetes.aspx

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120724144423.htm

Do they? They can hardly run in the school playground now for fear of falling and cutting themselves. Public playgrounds are vanishing in case someone injures themselves and sues. Agree that some parents are pretty clueless about how to feed their offspring though, instead of bacon and cabbage, fire out a frozen pizza. Notice a lot of parents buying convenience food and gallons of Coke at the supermarkets.

Kids still run plenty in schools and playgrounds are packed whenever the weather is halfway decent. You hit on the real reason though, a pizza instead of a decent homecooked meal, bottles of coke etc.

Sorry don't follow? You can disagree but it doesn't really mean anything until you provide evidence to the contrary.

A review of the work by other scientists.

Here is why i think its a poor study:

The sample group is very small, only just over 100 people finished the study. This is not statistically significant.
    The diets were not controlled, people were given meal plans and left to their own devices.
    The group was made up of all obese people.
    The group was mainly women so it had a very strong sex bias.
    The study was only 6 weeks long.
    Both groups lost weight, which indicates that both groups ate at a calorie deficient.

But you are only picking part of what I said.
    In a post earlier, you posted that you counted that your family ate more than 100 pieces of fruit per week. I said that this was excessive and could lead to diabetes in the future. 100 pieces of fruit per week is not a balanced diet for a family.

I totally agree that your body needs some sugar and that fruit is the perfect source, and that your body is designed to deal with sugar, particularly natural sugar - but not 10 portions per person per day!

5 portions of fruit and veg per person per day, not 5 portions of fruit. Average 5 portions of fruit and veg per day over a week is what is recommended. If you eat 10 portions of fruit then your body has to work overtime to deal with the sugar from it - natural sugar or not!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/09/16/fruit-consumption-diabetes.aspx

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120724144423.htm

Its only an average of 3.5 pieces of fruit each a day... hardly excessive.
    Yes fruit consumprion is something to be aware of when you have diabetes, but it does not cause diabetes and it does not make you fat.

Its foolish to beleive people should be restricting their fruit intake for fear of diabetes or gaining weight from it..

Plenty of fruit & veg included in anyone's diet is only a good thing and is to be encouraged.

Plenty of fruit & veg included in anyone's diet is only a good thing and is to be encouraged.
    Eating within the recommended daily allowance of fruit and veg is not restricting intake.
    It's more important to encourage people to balance intake than to encourage people to go gung ho eating as much fruit and veg as they can.

A review of the work by other scientists.

Here is why i think its a poor study:

The sample group is very small, only just over 100 people finished the study. This is not statistically significant.
    The diets were not controlled, people were given meal plans and left to their own devices.
    The group was made up of all obese people.
    The group was mainly women so it had a very strong sex bias.
    The study was only 6 weeks long.
    Both groups lost weight, which indicates that both groups ate at a calorie deficient.

The paper was of course peer-reviewed, it was published in Metabolism, a peer reviewed scientific journal. Do you know what statistically significant means? P = .0016??

Eating within the recommended daily allowance of fruit and veg is not restricting intake.
    It's more important to encourage people to balance intake than to encourage people to go gung ho eating as much fruit and veg as they can.

HSE Health Promotion Website
    https://www.healthpromotion.ie/hp-files/docs/HPM00796.pdf

If you look for the part on Fruit and Veg intake the recommendation is 5 or more portions, this isnt an allowance its a minimum ammount.

"Choose ANY 5 or more servings each day - more is better."

Diabetes Federation Of Ireland Website
    http://www.diabetes.ie/living-with-diabetes/educational-articles/diabetes-and-food/whats-so-great-about-fruit-and-veg/

I had a brief flick though the diabetes Ireland website and supprise supprise there is no health warning on Fruit consumption causing diabetes. They indeed encourage the consumption of Fruits and Veg as helping weight loss rather than warning of it making people fat.
    "The other benefit of the high fibre content is that these foods are also quite slowly digested which keeps people satisfied for longer and therefore less likely to snack on higher calorie foods which can help to maintain a healthy weight or promote weight loss in someone trying to lose weight"

Lots of Fruit and veg has repeatedly been proven to be beneficial to the general population, yes there are people with conditions and diseases who need to understand how their general food consumption affects them, but for the general population its healthy, more is better, the fresher it is the better !!
    This is the general consus of health professionals world wide !

The paper was of course peer-reviewed, it was published in Metabolism, a peer reviewed scientific journal. Do you know what statistically significant means? P = .0016??

And what did the peer review state? 100 people is not a decent sample size, would you go away out of it :p The European study on cancer rates consists of 400k people.

Also, why do you yourself feel a study done on 100 obese people for 6 weeks is a strong study?

• Advertisement

Kids still run plenty in schools and playgrounds are packed whenever the weather is halfway decent. You hit on the real reason though, a pizza instead of a decent homecooked meal, bottles of coke etc.
    no running allowed in our school yard:mad:

Advertisement