Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning for Next Year Whats Happend So Far

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Not too long to go now and nearly there. Delighted finally seem to be getting somewhere with the dress. Was not impressed with any dresses I tried on so went down the route of calling to a dress maker. For anyone he is great so honest Ernest Perryman, went in saying one thing and he was like no it wont work, which in my head I kinda knew already. So meet him again after a rethink and I am just waiting to call back to see a few new sketches, more excited about this than going to try the dresses on..

Getting invites done next week so they are done and dusted out of the way and people have lots of time to decide things. We have a few bits going on the next day so want to let people know so if they would like to join in they can and it wont something that is sprung on them

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

Mills, that's great about the dress! I was the same to be honest, dress shopping was doing nothing for me but working with a dressmaker has been fantastic and so much fun. I have a fitting today and I'm so nervous and excited to try it on!

Glad you have your invites sorted as well, it's a nice one to get crossed off the list.

Yeah I just didn't get them, thought they looked all the same.. The dressmakers are gas if like you get a good one.. Was skitting he was even telling me about the bronzer trick you do to your ankles to make them look more toned and what shoes to wear.

Cant wait to get the invites done, the finish on them isn't going to be as perfect as we wanted but sure twill be grand....

Best of luck today with the fitting I hope it is beautiful...

well had the makeup trial and I just don't know what to think... Was a little disappointing as when she was doing it I was like ohh this feels loverly, but then I saw it and I was like ohhh...

was laughing when I came home as I took it off to go out again and the amount of stuff on my eyes was crazy... I had the eyebrows pencilled in or shaded -don't like this, blush - don like this either.. I don't know I know you are suppose to go a little darker but do you really need to, felt like I was going to scare him if he saw me done up like that

Yes finally sorted the chair covers and tableclothes are done and dusted. I met with a loverly planner at the weekend well I thought she just supplied the covers, but she is a planner.. She is like a breath of fresh air to talk to and deal with... Hopefully we will have all the final bits and pieces done through her and that will be it.. Great to have another thing out of the way, I cant believe how much variation there is between the rentals. They went from €2.20 - €25 mad...

• Advertisement

Oh I just documents from the Universal Church of Life!! I have been ordained....

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Who are you marrying? And where? Surely that doesn't put you on the registry here?

haha was just laughing imagine if I married ourselves! That would be odd. No it doesn't put you on the register here as such an official one like civil servant etc they are working on Ireland they say it is one of the more difficult countries for them. But you could like that but you could lets say marry friends after they do their civil bit. everyone could do that really but this one gives you a cert...

Ah twas one of those things you do to do

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Milly33 wrote: »
    haha was just laughing imagine if I married ourselves! That would be odd. No it doesn't put you on the register here as such an official one like civil servant etc they are working on Ireland they say it is one of the more difficult countries for them. But you could like that but you could lets say marry friends after they do their civil bit. everyone could do that really but this one gives you a cert...

Ah twas one of those things you do to do

You can in certain states in America. I read a real wedding on an American blog and they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Not too long to go now and nearly there. Delighted finally seem to be getting somewhere with the dress. Was not impressed with any dresses I tried on so went down the route of calling to a dress maker. For anyone he is great so honest Ernest Perryman, went in saying one thing and he was like no it wont work, which in my head I kinda knew already. So meet him again after a rethink and I am just waiting to call back to see a few new sketches, more excited about this than going to try the dresses on..m

Hi Milly, what kind of price range is Ernest perryman? I just want something quite simple (okay I actually want Vivenne Westwood but unless I win the lotto...)

• Advertisement

Hello oh wouldn't it be nice to have everything but that pesky budget..

Ernest is very good I must say really you tell him what budget you have and hell tell you whether he can do what you want..

Like the first time I went in I took in a few images and went through a few ideas. he done up sketches and I went in and after a chat again he said right whats you budget, and I said what it was and he said fine then well forget this one and start looking at this..

Like my budget in my head was max €800 - €900... So you can really take it from anywhere.. I must say he is loverly, after that now I am going back Friday to meet him with some new ideas as the first ones just weren't really what I did want in the first place. He will tell you straight out what is realistic and what isn't and he will know you better than yourself...

One warning would be to tell him the wedding is earlier than it is, as in a few weeks as he is very relaxed.. I got my debs dress made with him and it was perfect...

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

Thanks Milly - good to know. Definitely worth considering, will kick off dresses as soon as our venue is confirmed.

Not a bother, I wouldn't be too into clothes so was finding it very hard to find something and I must say he made me very comfortable and also it wasn't like the bridal shops where you nearly don't want to tell them how much you want to spend incase they shun you or look at you..

Best of luck with the venues and all the planning

• Registered Users Posts: 7 FionaBeag

Hey guys,

I'm engaged now all of two whole weeks !!! We're trying to find a venue and it just isn't happening. I've had a quick look through this thread and it seems that a lot of what we want is listed here. We want something relaxed, maybe a BBQ or pig on a spit etc. Has anyone found a venue that will allow this? I've searched and searched but anything I've found is overpriced or not exactly what we're looking for, and unfortunately we're not blessed with a big field out our back garden :) I'm looking in the general Cork region.

Any ideas?

Hello FionaBeag Congrats to ye!! Oh so new I hope it was very exciting getting engaged did you expect it..

There are defiantly plenty of venues out there that will allow for bbq style or something different. It is great even when we started looking there was a lot saying they did but there was still a bit of tape as such there. The venue we picked in the end have been great. We still have a few months to go now but so far dya know it hasn't been too bad at all..

We have two months to go and have food, bar, and most of the décor sorted..I just need to decorate it..

Have you looked at the One Fab Day Wedding Venue list, there was some nice ones came up on that this year.

How many people are ye thinking

Hi Milly! It was lovely and I didn't suspect a thing :)

We're looking at 80-100 adults and up to 10 under 12s.

Where did you decide on in the end?

Yeah that's the best kind well done to him.. I think everyone bar me knew what himself was up too.

Well from looking around Cork anywho, we have come across the list of places below

Inish Beg Baltimore (this is an island so you would have to get a boat out from Baltimore) there are a few on this forum who have go married there... You do all your own here...has accommodation

Caseys in Baltimore too - it is a restaurant/bar but they might very well do a bbq set up for you. I know they offer one for the next day. Has Accommodation

Blackwater Castle - which we are defo biast towards this is our own spot.. You rent the place for the weekend and then do what you like here..It is all yours and you do everything from arranging food to drinks.. DIY heaven has accommodation

The Mills Inn in Ballyvourney - they have a room out the back with a bar area or they can set up a marquee out the back for you, you would have to get the food from them but again they would probably do bbq style. They had very good deals I must say, and they have an ice cream cart. The room may be a little tight for anything over 100 but it is different. has
    accommodation

Farren House just out by Farren Woods is another spot we never went to see as it was too small but and it didn't have enough rooms.

Theres a house down in Clonakilty that you could rent might be a bit small and it would not have accommodation for all the guests Dunowen House. Lovely spot when we called they were just up and running with setting the place up so things were a little not organised but they probably have it ready now. Very nice family there, and Nik Kirsaw used to own it..

Think think now... oh Dun na Sead castle in Baltimore too you can rent that also very nice there, not sure of prices...

I shall try and think of more for you if either of these don't work.. I have plenty of caterers names too if ye do go down that route...

Sorry we went for Blackwater in the end, weak for it. They are so nice there and you get to do what you want. The initial price was a little "no way we could not do that" but after looking at others it wasn't any more or less that you would pay for one day..You get a weekend in Blackwater compared to one day in another venue

You can decide what to charge for rooms for the guests etc, as these are all included in the rental so that is handy especially if you want to give rooms to parents or bridesmaids..

It is all DIY based if you like that or you can bring someone in to do whatever you would like

How did you get on with organising things in Blackwater Castle? Honestly that would be the dream but is it difficult organising all of the food and drink yourself? Also, without prying too much, how do you find its working out cost wise? I'm not afraid of a bit of DIY and I'm not a miser when it comes to money but I don't want the budget to run away before we even begin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Inish Beg Baltimore (this is an island so you would have to get a boat out from Baltimore)
    QUOTE]

janey not at all! You just drive into it same as any other place!

• Advertisement

Do you I thought you had to get the boat from Baltimore out there that is what we heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

Do you I thought you had to get the boat from Baltimore out there that is what we heard

Nope I was at a wedding there 3 weeks ago. Definitely no boat!

It's on the road from Skibbereen to Baltimore.

Oh jes handy to know, thank you for correcting me.. Don't know who said that now to me.. Whoops looking no one was waiting for the boat haha

Finally a few weeks to go now, and we have the bridesmaids dresses nearly. Dress is currently being made and only small things left to do.

Just incase anyone else it thinking of doing the tin cans, where you pop a tealight into them... Do not be put off when doing them at the start thinking they look crap.. When it is night time and they are all lit up they look fab!! So pretty... And a nail and hammer do the job better than a drill.. A drill pull the tin as such out, tis easier but very painfull if you get a nick

so happy the list of things is getting smaller. whilst it got bigger there for a while with ah we should have this and that. finally thought sure no we don't need it all just have want we want as such and that will do..

The last big thing to get was the bubbles for the wedding if anyone is looking Supervalue is the bestest deal we could find around, we have Griffin bubbly and then bucks fizz from Tesco and some homemade lemonade for the kids or anyone..

Next thing now it to defo finilze numbers and get that sorted out. And then it should be a breeze I should not have said that

Advertisement