Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning for Next Year Whats Happend So Far

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Thanks Jlm haha I keep seeing Jim!! My bad. Yeah tis a fairly funky place and the owners are lovely very down to earth.. Another very lovely lady was Dunowen House in Clon lovely house and Kela was extremely friendly, stepped in Music history I would think, if only the walls could talk..

Where abouts are ye looking for Jlm?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

We're based in Tipp. Black water castle would be fine location wise, if we wanted a civil ceremony there, and a good crowd for the whole day, but I think we might just have family to the ceremony, and a bigger crowd for a buffet or something at around 7ish.
    We're engaged over a year, and have done nothing yet. I've left it go on too long now, all the excitement wore off, and now I just want to get the wedding out of the way so that we can be married!!

Ah the excitement will start again once ye start planning! We are kinda thinking the same a few for the ceremony and more to the afters, haha thinking we were going all different but it seems like the thing to do now.

Have ye taken a look at CloughJordan House, a friends friend got married there and it was loverly she said. Prices aren't too bad either. The lady who owns/runs it emailed me back with prices and from chatting to her seemed very nice and approachable..

There was another one with a wine vault place I cant think of it now but I will

I'd never heard of that one. Just looked at the website there, and it looks fab!! Still a bit far away though, we're more south Tipp. Must sit my oh down soon and make a plan! He's a disaster!

It is isn't it very pretty.. Well if you want someone to look up places for you I really have way to much time on my hands and a good internet connection!! Love looking them up..

Just give himself a focus for looking them up maybe say he is in charge of the budget or something that he enjoys.. Let him off then tis great. South Tipp then I think there were a few places there, I have it twas Ballinwillin House. We actually passed it the other day I think on the way to Aherlow it is just outside Mitchelstown.. Might be worth a look

• Advertisement

Fair play milly, you've left no stone unturned!!! I did a bit of looking last year, but then life got in the way. I've a fair idea of what's around though, so it's just a case of going to check them out again!

Im telling you way too much time on my hands!! Have fun looking at the places I hope ye find one soon

Just pondering I don't really go to the hairdressers what is the going price for hair and makeup these days..

Going to test out some pom pom making this evening see how it goes.. have to say aswell I must have the best sister she has already sorted loverly lemonade jars for me and is on the search for many more bits.. Just incase if anyone is going to Holland they have great little craft shops and bits and bobs shops and its way cheaper than here...

Called to my first wedding fair, which was nice but a bit boring really... Good deals alright if you book there and then or you get some offers.. Meet one nice gang just incase anyone is looking Extreme Marquess two chaps running it very nice. The do everything from Marquees, heating, dancefloor, everything they are based in Dublin but will travel.

That now and creedons doggie day care run a service where they will board your pooch and will bring then to the day itself for pictures and will take them away again after nice idea

• Advertisement

Beginning to feel a bit blahh now... We are to put the deposit down on the venue and said we must just run through things again to make sure we can pull it off and it gets a bit depressing so it does.. Lets say we have nought really to start off with a small bit of savings but nothing much, we most defo are paying for everything ourselves, a lot of help and hand from lots of family and friends but cost wise tis all on us.. wondering are we mad thinking that perhaps well get a short term loan out closer to the time hoping they will give us one and hope for the best or do we just say ne and start from scratch again with plans

Milly33 wrote: »
    Beginning to feel a bit blahh now... We are to put the deposit down on the venue and said we must just run through things again to make sure we can pull it off and it gets a bit depressing so it does.. Lets say we have nought really to start off with a small bit of savings but nothing much, we most defo are paying for everything ourselves, a lot of help and hand from lots of family and friends but cost wise tis all on us.. wondering are we mad thinking that perhaps well get a short term loan out closer to the time hoping they will give us one and hope for the best or do we just say ne and start from scratch again with plans

I suppose the best thing to do is what ye have already done- sit down and make a plan, and make sure it's a realistic one. That mrs 2 be wedding survey is a good place to start- print it out, and make a note of the average cost of EVERYTHING, and then write down beside it what you expect to pay for it all. Think about what you'll cut out (for eg, I'm happy to cut favours, wedding cars and a videographer). Think about what you would scale back on (for eg, I will make my own cake, I'm not going to spend the earth on flowers, at a push, I would cut a band and just have a dj(though I'd rather not do that), and think about what you will not conpromise on (for me that's food and drink, and a photographer).

I've always been quite against the idea of borrowing money to throw a party (which is essentially what your wedding day is)- but i suppose if I really had to I would do it, but only a very limited amount. I know people talk about covering the cost with gifts, but that's a bit risky IMO - if you can't pay for it, you can't have it!
    At the end of the day, if you pay your €300 (is that the right figure????) for a marriage license, and head to the registry office, you'll be just as married as the person who spends 30k. Just do what suits ye best.

30 OMg Id Cry a little I think if we even spent close to that id prefer to spend that on my car. Thanks Jim tis nice to chat, yeah we are going to sit down again now and run through everything. I think that is what is killing me is that we are actually cutting down on a lot. Like cars I have a vintage one so will want her as my wedding car, or a thing really I wouldn't be fussed about as we would not be going far.
    Flowers my mum is doing and ill be helping so it wont be mad.
    Cake my sister said she would kindly make for us.
    Family and Friends have offered to do whatever within reason to help out.
    Decortations and invites ill be making myself.
    So other than the main bits I cant see where else we can cut down..Lets say we are looking at maybe €8,000 for venue (2days) and food and then all else is extra..But the problem is will we realistically have anything like that close to then...Shocking

The registry now is €200 that is for all the paper work and then we were told €200 to come to the venue for us. So €400 isn't too bad, We looked into the celtic priest, and other options but they were really pricey could not fathom it at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

In fairness Milly, don't throw a party you can't afford. You could either (a) postpone the wedding until you can save up or (b) scale it right back to save money. Maybe a small family-only ceremony and dinner and then a big party in the evening with all your friends?

Is there an option to hire the venue for one day? €8000 for the hire is a huge amount of money. And all the food and drink on top of that. It's a bit extortionate! I know you seem to have your heart set on it, so maybe postponing it is a good option??

Also, remember that DIY is still going to cost money- and often times, it's the more expensive option when you include all the materials (I've seen friends spend a fortune on their "cheaper" invites).

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

You're also taking an expensive route by exclusively hiring a venue and providing your own catering. There are lots of nice hotels that will provide you with a package and you'll get everything for less than the venue hire cost.

You could consider making that compromise rather than a loan or a deferral.

Thanks all again, sorry to be moaning.. Well tis €6,000 for the weekend as such for the venue.. That's the thing other places that we looked at do offer good enough prices but then by the time you end you lets say paying for the parents rooms, and drinks on the night you end up with I think the castle being about €200 more expensive.. And that's for a couple of days not just one..

Yep icksnay with the invites sometimes going home made ends up pricier but I have a fortune of crafty stuff so I think well break even with them if not do it for cheap the only thing I need is a cutting matt and a printer really..

Deferral I don't think I could would nearly prefer to do it now and just go for a nice dinner for the evening with a few people than defarr for another few years.. I cant be that patient haha

What are your numbers like milly?? Will you be buying food and drink for everyone on top of the 6k? Or is there someone to hire who will operate a cash bar?
    I know you've said previously that hiring your own venue works out the same as going for a more traditional hotel setup, but it just seems a bit more controlled with a hotel- there's less opportunity for it all to spiral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

If you're getting in your own caterers, then check their public liability insurance. Have the venue asked about your insurance or are you covered under theirs?

• Advertisement

We went through it all last night again to see what the costs were putting three places up against eachother and surprisingly when you put the castle even through outright it is more expensive they all nearly cost the same.. we would yep have to get the drink and food for all. The amount of people we could go either way, I know that sounds odd but we can either have a small close friend wedding or a huge family one.

Yep the caterers we have in mind have been there before and have the insurance I think she says I will make sure and ask though thanks.

I take the place has the insurance also will double check again though..

I was wrecking my brain trying to think of somewhere in Cork that would suit but it is a shame there aren't many unusual venues on this side..

Have ye looked at Flemings restaurant? I've never been myself, but a work colleague had her reception there a couple of years ago and apparently it was lovely?

Yeah we took a look but twas just on the website really I am not too familiar with it, we might take a spin passed there today and see what it is like..

Got onto Flemings but ohh people do not seem to have a great regard to them, two chaps in work said it was very snooty and my mum said she went with a club once and was turned away quite rudely by them. Seemed nice enough on the email but didn't answer most of the things I asked.

Emailed the Quality in Youghal but they haven't come back, was looking at Blairscove has anyone been there before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

milly just an idea but what abut blackrock castle?

my mum got married there and what they did was having the civil service and meal there, and onto another venue after for the party,

it might help your situation by giving you an unusual venue (and there is the little beach area next to it with the castle in the background for photo's) the food is lovely, you could keep it small, (but you could do what she did which was extend the restaurant area using a marquee if you want everyone there.)

you could also invite the majority of guests to the "party" afterwards in a venue of your choice which wouldn't be as expensive as there would be no food involved other than evening snacks and you would have accommodation there.

it would mean afters guests could start the party as the band/dj will be there for when the afters guests arrive and the ones at the meal arrive.

the best thing about getting married is the more you think outside the box the more you'll enjoy it,

Hi hoodwinked, oh I didn't think they would allow you to dine there after, thought it was just for ceremony and pictures. Loverly idea alright I just put it to himself but we are pondering would lets say the older group not want to do much travelling about, but tis one for the books alright.

We called down to The Mills Inn in Ballyvourney and have to say it is a major thinker.. We have always called in for food but never thought of them for a wedding... Meet the manager and waiting on a package to come back. They have only just started doing weddings so tis all new but hopefully by next year if it was a taker they would have it to the tee..

Will report back

Well after much debate we keep going back to the Castle so were just going to make it work..

Had out appointment to register to the big day this morning and have to say the lady Ann we met with was lovely, I hope we get her on the day. All good nothing to serious or very ye have to do this, have to do that. I had all my stuff copied except for one birth cert (cough it wasn't mine haha) and they had no problem copying it in there. I wouldn't say you should take the piss and ask them to copy everything for you but I wouldn't stress if you needed one of two copies of something, she was more than happy to do it for us.

They give you a list of things that you can expect and how the ceremony will go and what parts you can adjust which is nice, we have loads of time to see if we want to do any of this.. We are having a civil in the venue and it is working out cheaper than having a humanist, celtic priest etc..

So that's, that done.. Now onto save the dates for people abroad.. Came across two nice sites aswell if anyone would like

This one has some DIY templates which are quite nice www.weddingchicks.com and for all those who aren't having a photographer or would prefer to keep off facebook and that the Wedding Party App https://www.weddingpartyapp.com/ looking forward to getting this up and running.... Next step to win the 96fm competition to pay for it all

Didn't know where to put this so said I'd put it on here not sure would it be taken down. But just incase anyone is looking for someone in the Cork area to help out with things let me know. I have way too much time on my hand, and just from booking our own place seeing that wed have to get lets say someone to work on the bar, check up on the loos things like that. I wouldn't actually mind doing any of that stuff but tis hard to get into it. I emailed a few people who said they would bear it in mind, but just incase if anyone is stuck let me know...

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Just wondering - have you changed your mind to now getting married abroad? What prompted the change? The above sounded lovely!!

• Advertisement

Hello no, we went with the original plan. We viewed a few places and just nothing compared to it we had the mills inn and the castle and ever time we talked about it, it was castle ohhh love it then the mills was like yeah tis nice!! So enough said.

I think we just started to think too much about it, and started thinking we have to do this and that, but we don't. Fingers crossed with a few favours pulled in from friends well have a great day. It is a lovely spot, has a nice homely feel but still fancy enough and lots of room for swing ball which will be compulsory haha..

Advertisement