Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning for Next Year Whats Happend So Far

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Can you link to the pics of the lanterns milly?

Thats a pain about getting caught with VAT. I wonder if you ordered in smaller batches would it sneak through. I ve never been caught for customs from orfering off aliexpress but i did get caught when i ordered a dress online.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Oh I am such a disaster linking pictures. I used to use flicker but now you have to have a yahoo account...

These are the ones from the site http://www.jjshouse.com/8-Paper-Lantern-More-Colors-131038498-g38498

I got ten 8in and 10, 10inc ones (green and white). The sizes seem to work well together they are huge. I had them priced here and it was €10 for a pack of 3..

I can see later if you want a pic of the real thing, I can ask himself to figure it out..

Yeah I ponder, even the vat seemed a bit high. reading the back of the parcel they had a extra €18 something in the tot up for the vat. But sure that's what happens.. Someone mentioned if they mark it as a gift then you can get it vat free but then that's a big if.

Not impressed either with the returns it is all over the shop, they offer a credit or you can send back at your own cost which will cost more than it is worth.. We shall see..

If it is of any use to anyone I will be looking to pass on, sell these after August.. If it saves other buying new..

I just got a menu from The Hogfarther ohh it is very nice has anyone used them

Thanks for the pic milly i thought they were the type of lanterns you put candles in! What are you going to use these for?

Oh no sorry they are paper ones.... Well either for the dining room or else maybe outside we shall see. I might have some ribbon falling down from them. Long pieces of ribbon blowing in the wind

• Advertisement

That sounds really pretty. I just received a load of ribbon off aliexpres. Got a bit of a shock first as when the ribbon is rolled the colour looks a lot deeper and i didnt like it. I cut a bit off and it looks much better so it will be fine now!

I knew I should have gone to them. It was a throw up between Alie and JJ's.. they have come back to say quality control say the products are good, they will give me a 30% credit back on them lesson learned.

Glad the ribbon is nice, I get what you mean with the colour's it can be very deceivable but once your happy with it all is good. It will probably look different too if you put it with other colours again... There are some lovely things you can do with ribbon...

In case you are making any small bows take a look at this I love it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rbyM1Izet4

That's a great video thank a million. The bows are perfect for my boutonnieres. I spent ages tying bows last night. I'm definitely going to have them pre made up for the wedding as they take a nice bit of time to do properly.

Milly I saw on another thread that your mum is a florist. Do you know the names of any greenery that's good for boutonnieres? I want one large leaf like this http://sweetmeadowsflorist.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/339x292/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/b/bb_bout_copy_1.jpg

I've done up the baby's breath and it's very easy but I'm having trouble sourcing the leaves.

Isnt it, the hours of endless cursing at ribbon all fixed with a fork!

I know it is normally Ivy mum would use on her button holes. Which she would go out and collect herself from the garden.

I know I am planning to go to the woods to get my ivy there is one woods down by Whitegate that has great stuff. They have some in big strands hanging from the trees.

You can use any leave just pending do you want to pay for it or not.

If you are buying some roses you can get ones with large leaves and use these, or pop into the woods and pick up some ash leaves they would work these would be the only roundy ones that are coming to my mind.

Eucalyptus - is another great one but it isn't round.

Or if you knew the local florist ask them, just say you are looking for some leaves, most of them pull them off the end of the flowers anyway when making them so they just get thrown out..

If it didn't matter, you could call into the pound shop and get some fake flowers and just use the leaves from theses. You would be surprised some of the fake flowers are quite life like, and again the men will have them wrecked in a few hours so it really doesn't matter..

You can pick up some leave shine also, great to put a nice shine on dull leaves, or a banana skin,

Great ideas. I just took a look at some rises my mum had and the leaves would eork we also have ivy so I can use that too.

• Advertisement

All sorted then... They will do great... best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

Milly33 wrote: »
    I just got a menu from The Hogfarther ohh it is very nice has anyone used them

They were at a weddings I attended. So yummy

Hello oh your a savour!! Yeah I was kinda like that's not too bad now. Was annoyed I did email another lady who well my family go to and then when I asked would they travel and how much I heard nothing back which is annoying, so she is off the list...

This place is brocade and lime and town, haven't gone in myself as I am not really a shopper but mum said they were loverly... I might have to wonder.

I was trying to figure out what MUA was (I did google it) haha, would love some recommendations please if you have them. I not looking for anything mad just nice and light, was half thinking of doing it myself but sure it might be nice to treat myself. thank you

Can recommend blush make up if you're still looking

hello, so there food is good then... Was it a bq type your friends had then or was it more three course meal. Sorry twenty questions haha.. They do seem very nice, there I must say and very quick to come back to you.... Must try and make a call next week on the food option so its like ohhh what to do..

I think I have a makeup lady thank you but will take note just incase. I haven't had a trial or anything yet so there is no definite but again she seems very nice...

hello, so there food is good then... Was it a bq type your friends had then or was it more three course meal. Sorry twenty questions haha.. They do seem very nice, there I must say and very quick to come back to you.... Must try and make a call next week on the food option so its like ohhh what to do..

I think I have a makeup lady thank you but will take note just incase. I haven't had a trial or anything yet so there is no definite but again she seems very nice...

It was the bbq style set up but they had a huge variety of foods laid out ie cold salads etc. they were very friendly from what I remember :)

Great thank you for that... They are kinda front runners at the moment, well there is only two but need to pick

Great thank you for that... They are kinda front runners at the moment, well there is only two but need to pick

I know a lot from my job if you need suggestions. Feel free to pm :)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

Hey Milly,

We're doing BBQ and using wildside catering based out of Ballymaloe. Their food looks lovely and Ted is very easy to deal with - he has dealt with all my special requests! Poor guy.

Hello Nosietoes!! Oh I did see these I think we were just out of budget with them though.. weep!!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Hi Milly,

As an FYI - we went with spittingpig for our Day 2 Pig on a Spit. I wouldn't really recommend them though. The food was delicious, but there wasn't enough. Salads and sides ran out after about 50 people - when we complained they said the first 50 people ate too much. They sent one guy, who didn't have great English and definitely was a cook, not a host. His manner wasn't very friendly, but he did a good job on the cooking. It was delicious!! The guy I booked with never followed up for feedback or to see how we got on.

On the other day 2 things - we rented our games from Airmax Inflatables in Kilkenny. We could probably have bought them on ebay for the same price, but they were very nice there, and the games were great craic.

Decor wise (wedding and day 2), we made all our own decorations - jam jar and tin can vases, jam jar lanterns, bunting, slate table plans, ribbons for every single car.... It was a lot of work, but worth it. If I could figure out how to post pics I would....

Oh, and we made homemade jam and chutney as the favours. And I made my own cake and my cousins and sisters made all the cakes for the dessert cart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Make sure you have a tasting before you decide! Ask if the price includes cutlery/napkins and if the caterers will clear away...

Hog father do at home tasting options. I seen a comp they ran recently

Thank you ladies, yes the taster then is the next big thing. Oh I have to say it is wrecking my head... I thought we had finished with getting quote etc and really had it down to one. Then while now in fairness he is sticking to the price we were quoted, we were hoping to maybe change a few things, and are afraid if we do will the price go up again..

We did take a look at spittingpig thanks, kkcatlou but there must have been something with them, as we had taken them off the list. It is Pigspit (not so different) we were going with and must call it this week.

I got prices there from the hog farther and must say the menu looks quite tasty, but it is just id love it said right this price can you work with that..

We really have to call it this week as I hate having things hanging and for others to be waiting on you..

The idea sprang to mind again about maybe get a few vans lets say a chippy van, sausuage place more like a festival style but then I worry would the weather be good and would it be the same effect if the weather wasn't good. Nothing is easy is it

Oh yes and thank you the cutlery is all included in both which is great, even tablecloths with one

kkcatlou wrote: »
    Hi Milly,

As an FYI - we went with spittingpig for our Day 2 Pig on a Spit. I wouldn't really recommend them though. The food was delicious, but there wasn't enough. Salads and sides ran out after about 50 people - when we complained they said the first 50 people ate too much. They sent one guy, who didn't have great English and definitely was a cook, not a host. His manner wasn't very friendly, but he did a good job on the cooking. It was delicious!! The guy I booked with never followed up for feedback or to see how we got on.

On the other day 2 things - we rented our games from Airmax Inflatables in Kilkenny. We could probably have bought them on ebay for the same price, but they were very nice there, and the games were great craic.

Decor wise (wedding and day 2), we made all our own decorations - jam jar and tin can vases, jam jar lanterns, bunting, slate table plans, ribbons for every single car.... It was a lot of work, but worth it. If I could figure out how to post pics I would....

Oh, and we made homemade jam and chutney as the favours. And I made my own cake and my cousins and sisters made all the cakes for the dessert cart.

Haha sorry I answered quickly, I swear we are thinking the same.. I have a stash of things gathered already. I have jam jars, have mum collecting tin cans and mum to be, slate for signs, have wooden signs cut out ready to decorate... Have lots of bits and pieces..

Thinking of trying to use the sewing machine again for the bunting... I get so angry with it when I cant get it working, we end up not talking but I will try again..

The pictures thing is really annoying since they changed it, and drop box. I saw something had links to the cloud if you use that. would love to see the snaps if you could. I can even pass on my email if you like.. If not it is culio too..

Going to look up airmax now.. sounds interesting.. I was planning for swing ball and bubbles so far

Has anyone heard anything about the Whole Hog!! They seem to be very very nice but I cannot find many reviews

Well we have most of it sorted now. The next big thing is the menu which should be ok.. There is crab so im happy..

Have to say the hardest thing so far has had to be the invites. I thought yeah they will be easy, we will have them sorted in no time.. So lets say after lots of going back and forth with ideas, I most defo wasn't a happy camper..

Was a little put off after asking a lady to do invites and when we got the sample, was shocked that no effort was put into it. It was more or less here's something we found on the internet, here's our ideas, and it was sent back printed on card that you could not write on, and it was more or less the same thing we pulled from the internet with our names on it.. Very lazy

After a fit to kill moment with himself as he was saying he didn't have the imagination to make the invite (i knew he had) walla we have the perfect invite.. Will say if anyone is savie with photoshop out there people go for it..Much better and you get something that is personal..

Lots of options to print, can contact a printer, print yourself or go to vistaprint and upload them..

Next food and dress

Getting some places slowly. I must say it is quite frustrating waiting to do stuff.... we have invites ready to be printed just waiting on someone to help with something on them.. ended up much cheaper and better to do ourselves. We are getting the main invites printed think €40 maybe and we are going to print the evening invites ourselfs. Picked up some envelopes in Tescos for €2 something each, going to decorate them to pretty them up and that's it.

Himself has his suit,not full a full suit but something funky.. Went in to meet with a dress maker.. Must say if anyone is having trouble getting one, tis good to call in to get an idea of what would suit. Didn't have to pay anything for the appointment, and showed him a print out of three dresses on JJS that I thought were nice, he went through which would suit and which would not... He is going to do some sketches and im meeting him next week.. No price discussed yet but we shall see...Love to get it out of the way with to start getting a few bits..

ordered some things for the bridesmaids and for the bathroom bits and pieces.. If anyone out there is friends with someone who orders Oriflame they have a decent sun cream and some nice bits and pieces for the bathroom basket.Have an account myself and they were doing free shipping so made a great saving..

Delighted had our tasting today and so happy loverly selection and we both get something we love with the dishes... Picked our wedding rings too and I must say the jeweller is just great. I thought the rings would cost an awfull lot more but we are exchanging some gold we already have to put towards the making of the rings and it is not working out bad at all..

Just handpunched 200 envelopes and 50 small ones, I can see why people pay people to do this my hands are burning...

• Advertisement

Yeah finally picked the wines. Have to say it was the biggest pain bar the invites...

I think as wine drinkers ourselves we were being too fussy about which ones. And after tasting nearly all the good ones and bad ones we finally settled on a Campo Rioja and a Chardonney. Looking through deals for anyone else

Supervalue nearly works out the best.. We tried in Cork -

Christys Wholesalers (prices aren't bad but their opening hours are a curse and they don't do tasters),
    Curious Wines prices are too much really for large amounts of wine,
    Tescos with their 25% off normally works out the same if not around €1 more expensive than the Supervalue €10 off...

Still to get sparkling or bubbles but waiting really until we see a good sale in these, which should show up soon with the summer coming up

Advertisement