Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

It's all happening today it seems. Painter just sent me this. There was a dent there. He has a bit more polishing to do so I expect the paint to be smooth and spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So the new lock barrel arrived today along with a few brake bleeder nipple covers, and plenty of the finest German fresh air!

At least they didn't have to fold the A4 page 🤔

The new barrel has the short length of the old one, but the 'security key' feature of the newer more expensive one I linked to, so... result. I just wish they'd give three keys not two, if you're not buying a keyed-alike multi case set (if you are, you'll have plenty of spare keys anyway).

Also - Givi provided no instructions at all so it was trial and error to get everything fitted the right way around - found a video with the tip to put the barrel in with the key in the unlocked position and the engraved number upwards - but there's still 4 possible permutations of the locking plate, and that guy's locking plate was totally different to my one. I no sooner had dismantled the old thing than I realised I should've taken a picture of it beforehand. D'oh.

I'd much rather have paid a lot less shipping for all of that to have arrived in a small Jiffy bag and gone through the letterbox instead of a big box relying on somebody being at home - maybe computer said the largest item to be shipped was the A4 page and it was somehow unfoldable? 🙄

I thought German companies were supposed to be thinking about the environment - it'd save them money - and a large minimum shipping charge puts a lot of people off making small orders, it's €8.99 minimum to Ireland. I'll ask them for their thoughts on this.

Also... I wanted to get a neck tube/warmer too and had the tab open but forgot to add it to cart before hitting checkout! At €8.99 shipping I'm not going to order that on its own (same reason I was waiting this long to buy bleed nipple covers 😛 )

Post edited by Hotblack Desiato on

Life ain't always empty.

That looks amazing Lollipop.

Something I've always wondered about but never found an answer to - on a standard bike tank you usually have silver paint on the filler, not the same type of paint on the rest of the tank. Is there anything special about that paint in relation to rust resistance, or being dissolved by petrol, or anything else? I had a bike before which developed rust spots in that area and I was never sure what to repair it with so I did nothing...

Life ain't always empty.

That packaging isn't uncommon. My bike needed the exhaust flapper delete module, the whole thing fits in the palm of your hand, basically a 3cm x 2cm box with about 8cm of wire coming from it. It was delivered in a similar sized box. I mailed them after and they said they would review the shipping methods.

I've not given any thought to the type of paint on the filler, however with the price of it now I'll be doing my best not to spill any!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 624 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Had to drop down to Mondello, bike was empty and topped it up and drove there and back. Gotta say for a 90+bhp 750cc bike 4.3l/100km is pretty decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Raj.ynwa

T120. From France to Ireland :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,634 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lovely, how was the journey not alot of protection on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Raj.ynwa

It was good, doing around 120/130. Dry weather in France! evening was a bit chilly. Rain soon as I got back - not surprised at all haha.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 624 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

• Advertisement

@LollipopJimmy Louis got back to me, said they cannot use smaller packaging "for technical reasons"

So anything you buy will be in at least an A4 size box... Minimum shipping fee of €8.99 isn't great either.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

Happy with it? I haven't seen any out on the road yet.

Yup love it, comfy enough for what I need and its more than fast enough. Got the factory heated grips + quicker shifter fitted as well. Its my first "big bike" but its still quite small and light which I like. No interest in giant heavy bikes. Its a shame cruise control is really a thing that bike manufacturers have decided is only on high end bikes. Its got a digital throttle so it would be an easy fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

When is the best time of year to sell a bike jacket?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I find bike gear sells all year round if priced reasonably

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Depends if it's a summer jacket or a winter jacket...

I don't think there's a best time for gear, people will buy all year round

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

sorry, maybe stupid question - putting throttle bodies back on a zx6r, and the clamps have mismatched bolts. The 'non-factory' one took a 2.5mm and has started to round off, so im going to get a replacement before I get myself stuck in future

(for info, clamps look like - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186319486864)

Looking at the good one, which I believe is OEM, its 25mm long and undoes with a 3mm allen tool- now my stupid question.. is this an M3x25mm? Or does the size of allen used to undo it, have no bearing on the actual diameter for the thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Advertisement

Makes sense - measuring 4mm across the thread, so M4 by the looks so

FC Moto have gone awful slow as shite with their orders recently. Have picked up a few odd bits that they only seem to have but their a week even processing the orders through before even shipping starts

Anyone else had that

I stopped buying from them a long while back. Since Brexit it's hard enough to get a decent retailer online, I found baboon.eu good for parts and service bits though and sportbikeshop.co.uk for gear but I get stuff shipped to my office in London

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Banzai600

I used Louis.de recently, German outfit, no issues. I buy a lot of gear here too , but if the saving is big, i will approach the shop where i go to see if they can meet me some of the way if i see it online much cheaper. With Louis, i had an issue with one of the items i bought, stopped working after 5 months, ive a 2 yr warranty anyway, free shipping back, email to say they are investigating refund or replacement - its much the same you'd have here. but the initial purchase of 900 euro from Louis, the local dealer couldnt get near a discount.

Changed the plugs and air filter on the Blackbird today, don't know how that bike was running, it doesn't get minded at all and was well overdue plugs and filter. It's the only one I don't bother my arse with. Sleeps outside with no cover, I haven't even washed it since September and does she burn oil? She would if got it

Ive a 2005 zx6r, with a full akrapovic evolution line exhaust and have been toying with the idea of getting a baffle into it for ages. Have it laid up at the moment while doing a few bits, so back to investigating it. Any ideas?

Exhaust is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225951736352 - and notice no factory way to fit a baffle into the end can..

The street version of the exhaust can take a baffle - tuv036/1 (or tuv036, unsure the difference)

So figure to fit one of them to the evo can (assuming the oval size matches), is take the carbon end cap off, and drill access hole(!) into it, and then drill the internal metal exit slieve also... unsure its worth it.

(effectively turning my end can into one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225985534661)

Unsure if there are other, cleaner solutions?

Maybe see about getting a street end can, and hoping that fits to the evo pipe work..?

The bike is outrageously loud, so think I need to do something with it sadly - though does help to keep the speed down on it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

How effective is the Honda HISS immobiliser? I'm assuming the scummers can bypass it someway?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭JP 1800

Its quite an effective immobiliser, if you loose the keys you will need to get a complete new module and lock set. As far as I know there is no way to bypass the system. Is it HISS 1 or 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

• Advertisement

Wouldn’t solely rely on it.. despite its name, it doesn’t make it any harder to lift into the back of a van

Advertisement