Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

I just think they're nicer to deal with. If I broke down I'd get a family member to come in the van so breakdown assistance has not been something I care about.

Carole nash are ***** with their broker fee and I feel they try to hide it.

I also spoke to a few reps from principle who were with AMI open day down in Wexford and they were sound.

I looked into my quote from the subsequent email and they have the broker fee written on the first page so the agent also explained it on the phone too.

Does anyone have any links to a puncture repair kit? Unsure if it was on this thread but I’ve search back and can’t find it, thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Does anyone have any links to a puncture repair kit? Unsure if it was on this thread but I’ve search back and can’t find it, thanks :D

For Tubeless? Stop and Go brand; sticky strings or mushroom plugs. I use the former. C02 canisters or 12V air pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Motorcycleshop.ie do them. The ones with the canister I presume.

For Tubeless? Stop and Go brand; sticky strings or mushroom plugs. I use the former. C02 canisters or 12V air pump.

There was a link to eBay, which would you suggest I’m trying to gather gear to bring in every ride once I get going so be handy to have this in my bag.

• Advertisement

There was a link to eBay, which would you suggest I’m trying to gather gear to bring in every ride once I get going so be handy to have this in my bag.

Ah they're all the same. But their one couldn't be that expensive or I wouldn't have bought one from them in the past. The tools in the kit were pretty good, better than others I've had.

zubair wrote: »
    Ah they're all the same. But their one couldn't be that expensive or I wouldn't have bought one from them in the past. The tools in the kit were pretty good, better than others I've had.

Cool, I’ve been picking up tools lately that will be handy to have going out on each ride just incase. Be handy kit to have going forward. Found it this was the one someone posted

https://www.motorcycleshop.ie/oxford-co2-tl-puncture-kit-ox160-4820-p.asp

Cool, I’ve been picking up tools lately that will be handy to have going out on each ride just incase. Be handy kit to have going forward. Found it this was the one someone posted
    https://www.motorcycleshop.ie/oxford-co2-tl-puncture-kit-ox160-4820-p.asp

You don't need much.

Small bike tool kit (minus a 10mm socket)
    Hex kit if not with tools
    Punture repair
    Duct tape
    Cable ties
    Fuses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

As I mentioned I'm happy with the Stop and Go sticky strings kit. A bit smaller and cheaper than their plug system.
    Replacement strings available in many farm supply shops. I don't leave home without a punc. kit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

macplaxton wrote: »

looks like an EV conversion ? look at the dash clocks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Nah, an off-roader missing clocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    To be fair my race is held together mostly by cable ties :pac: Great invention those things!

Bitta duct tape, zip tie and WD40 and you can fix anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

bladespin wrote: »
    Bitta duct tape, zip tie and WD40 and you can fix anything.
    If it does'nt move and should.........WD40
    If it moves and should'nt ......... Duct Tape :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I applied it to my bike as a precaution but haven't (thankfully) had to rely on it. It's a gel with little dots which are apparently unique identifiers so you can claim your bike in the event of recovery after theft and is supposedly a deterrent but I'd be dubious of how much it would put off some scumbag thief.

It won't put off a thief at all because they won't know it's there. It's more for identifying your bike if it's in a container heading to poland in boxes.
    I never used mine, ended up binning it

Just got a quote off AXA for over €500 for 3rd F&T for Dragstar 650cc , Learner Permit, I said can you do better as I received lower from Carole Nash so he went down to €380 fully comp by saying I have a car on the road so he could apply a discount, I’m learning always ask :D all they can say is no which mostly they don’t.

Lesson is : always ask for better.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Cienciano wrote: »
    It won't put off a thief at all because they won't know it's there. It's more for identifying your bike if it's in a container heading to poland in boxes.
    I never used mine, ended up binning it

They also come with super serious "Stop Thief" stickers so they would know its there assuming you stuck on the 25 or so stickers it comes with but I agree, wouldn't stop em for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Just got a quote off AXA for over €500 for 3rd F&T for Dragstar 650cc , Learner Permit, I said can you do better as I received lower from Carole Nash so he went down to €380 fully comp by saying I have a car on the road so he could apply a discount, I’m learning always ask :D all they can say is no which mostly they don’t.

That's a great quote. Was that AXA direct or through one of the brokers?

That's a great quote. Was that AXA direct or through one of the brokers?

Direct. Now he didn’t go into super detail he asked, Bike, Licence, Value , IBT & when I asked for a better price he gave me one within 20 seconds then says when you’re ready come straight back and we’ll sort you out. Mad how one question drops a price the same 80 on the best price I got off CN then bumped to Full Comp haha

You know the dragstar is A2?!

• Advertisement

You know the dragstar is A2?!

What does that mean? Lol how new am I :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What does that mean? Lol how new am I :D

It's not eligible to do the A Licence test on, you'll need to borrow a bike for it. Fairly common thing to happen and most places that do the IBT will rent a bike out for the test.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    It's not eligible to do the A Licence test on, you'll need to borrow a bike for it. Fairly common thing to happen and most places that do the IBT will rent a bike out for the test.

Ah ha I had this talk with my IBT instructor when booking it, he said I can rent a bike from the school to do the test on. So my plan is to step to the Fazer 600 in IBT and then do my Test lessons on that from the IBT Center and do Full Test on that. So I knew it somewhere but couldn’t pick it :) thanks for the explanation. So with dragstar being A2 would it be easier to learn on/ beginner bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Ah ha I had this talk with my IBT instructor when booking it, he said I can rent a bike from the school to do the test on. So my plan is to step to the Fazer 600 in IBT and then do my Test lessons on that from the IBT Center and do Full Test on that. So I knew it somewhere but couldn’t pick it :) thanks for the explanation. So with dragstar being A2 would it be easier to learn on/ beginner bike?

I've a Dragstar and absolutely love it. Not going to win any prizes for speed, but I'll happily do an 8 or 9 hour drive on a weekend and be comfy throughout the trip.

imo it's a good bike to learn on, low and wide so the balance is extremely easy and in my experience very good in bad weather too.

Personally I wouldn't do it this way. the main reason being money, which most of us are short on.

You'll have to pay extra on your IBT to get the A bike from your instructor, when it comes to test time in 6 months (as you mentioned you plan to do it asap) you have to rent a bike. you'll want to sell your dragsatr to get the fazer once you pass, there's no doubt.

Reason 2, what a load of faffing about this will be, and for what? Just get the A, do the IBT on your bike, do the test on our bike, no need to sell it in 6 months or a year etc. An FZ6 will last you a lifetime with lots to grow into and you won't feel the need to upgrade; a dragstar wouldn't pull you out of bed, its 0-60 is somewhere around a trendline golfs and it tops out well below a ton. I know its not all about speed for everyone but you'd surprised at how disappointing those performance figures are in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭goblin59

Personally I wouldn't do it this way. the main reason being money, which most of us are short on.

You'll have to pay extra on your IBT to get the A bike from your instructor, when it comes to test time in 6 months (as you mentioned you plan to do it asap) you have to rent a bike. you'll want to sell your dragsatr to get the fazer once you pass, there's no doubt.

Reason 2, what a load of faffing about this will be, and for what? Just get the A, do the IBT on your bike, do the test on our bike, no need to sell it in 6 months or a year etc. An FZ6 will last you a lifetime with lots to grow into and you won't feel the need to upgrade; a dragstar wouldn't pull you out of bed, its 0-60 is somewhere around a trendline golfs and it tops out well below a ton. I know its not all about speed for everyone but you'd surprised at how disappointing those performance figures are in the real world.

my oringal plan was to get an A2 bike, a Kawasaki w650, something that would handle motorways but keep my insurance low and then rent a A cat bike for the actual test.
    I actually ended up with an 800cc bike as when i was looking for a decent bike a used F650GS twin popped up for sale at a good price.
    Insurance for a learner on it was 600 for the year

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I've a Dragstar and absolutely love it. Not going to win any prizes for speed, but I'll happily do an 8 or 9 hour drive on a weekend and be comfy throughout the trip.

imo it's a good bike to learn on, low and wide so the balance is extremely easy and in my experience very good in bad weather too.

A Dragstar is a starter bike for me as I’m only interested in cruisers to go explore and enjoy the ride, I’ve no need for speed at all, slow and easy riders, a LADA can pass me and I wouldn’t give a hoot. I understand “Zubair” where you’re coming from but I’ll do the IBT and see where I sit but I’m not spending a few grand on something to just do me so I can pass the full test, I plan do the IBT on Fazer n have my lessons on the Fazer for the full test. In the future if I want more uuummphhh I’ll go up to a higher cc cruiser :D A grand plan I appreciate all advise here and all plans can change so I don’t rule anything out.

goblin59 wrote: »
    my oringal plan was to get an A2 bike, a Kawasaki w650, something that would handle motorways but keep my insurance low and then rent a A cat bike for the actual test.
    I actually ended up with an 800cc bike as when i was looking for a decent bike a used F650GS twin popped up for sale at a good price.
    Insurance for a learner on it was 600 for the year

Its definitely an easier and cheaper journey.

• Advertisement

A Dragstar is a starter bike for me as I’m only interested in cruisers to go explore and enjoy the ride, I’ve no need for speed at all, slow and easy riders, a LADA can pass me and I wouldn’t give a hoot. I understand “Zubair” where you’re coming from but I’ll do the IBT and see where I sit but I’m not spending a few grand on something to just do me so I can pass the full test, I plan do the IBT on Fazer n have my lessons on the Fazer for the full test. In the future if I want more uuummphhh I’ll go up to a higher cc cruiser :D A grand plan I appreciate all advise here and all plans can change so I don’t rule anything out.

Ah I thought you said you were upgrading to an FZ later.

Advertisement