Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

For a few videos absolutely and getting a new bike for it Yes please :D

Very tempting, can I resist it :pac:

bladespin wrote: »
    Feck, if they offered me a deal like that I'd do it in the morning if I was getting a bike out of it.

The kids want two bikes :rolleyes:

GBX wrote: »
    New bike ? Sign me up! I've done worse in life than a few videos. Think of it this way, if you do a video it will generally be viewed by randomers out there and you won't lose any shame with your mates :pac:

I’m afraid of who sees it, I’m a bit shy :o

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Jaysus lad, for that money and a new bike I'd certainly do it. I'll be your stunt double if you want!

Stunt double you say? Don’t give me ideas :p

Black visor and a non speaking part :)

TikTok is a Chinese government data grab / trojan horse though

Have the black visor but the helmet is Ferrari red. Is it controversial yeah?

• Advertisement

Looking online I’d like something like a ZX-9R,ZZR1100 or CBR1000F, all in or around late 80’s/Early 90’s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

kokiyou wrote: »
    Possibly better to make my own thread but here goes:

First bike would love a SV650 - I assume:
    1. importing from NI / UK is cheaper even via a delivery company. Anyone know of any reliable places I should reach out to on this matter?

2. I also need complete gear, (IBT and learner permit got, age: 30+ NCB active on my car) - is gear shopping all messed up now with Coronavirus - like I couldn't actually go in and try things on properly in different sizes like is happening with regular clothes stores?

For both, I mainly want something reliable, usable that won't get me killed in my first few weeks riding - thank you all

Honestly, given current circumstances I would buy in Ireland, from a dealer. Yes it will cost a bit more, but not a huge amount.

At least you have some come back especially being a learner, you wouldn't even be able to bring it back to an NI dealer.

As for gear, bike shops are open, go try the stuff on, I think some are making people wear balaclavas/masks when trying on helmets.

If you aren't happy with the price/service after trying on, you can always shop online afterwards. Though as with regular clothes, different brands will have different fits/sizes. There are also delays shipping stuff especially from mainland europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Looking online I’d like something like a ZX-9R,ZZR1100 or CBR1000F, all in or around late 80’s/Early 90’s

Tempted by a 1990 ZX-10?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Tempted by a 1990 ZX-10?

I’m tempted by anything of that era, price is always the big thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

colm_c wrote: »
    Honestly, given current circumstances I would buy in Ireland, from a dealer. Yes it will cost a bit more, but not a huge amount.

At least you have some come back especially being a learner, you wouldn't even be able to bring it back to an NI dealer.

As for gear, bike shops are open, go try the stuff on, I think some are making people wear balaclavas/masks when trying on helmets.

If you aren't happy with the price/service after trying on, you can always shop online afterwards. Though as with regular clothes, different brands will have different fits/sizes. There are also delays shipping stuff especially from mainland europe.

I can confirm the balaclavas for health and safety are used for fitting helmets. Boots and helmets need to be fitted in person for sure, I found it great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

If anyone is orders off of XLMoto I've got a €10 discount link here:

http://l.redeal.se/5f08d5b778e3

• Registered Users Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭blade1

See from time to time posters asking about paddock stands.
    Worth checking this out.
    Cheap enough.

https://shop.becker-technik.de/en/home/8-motorbike-lifter-sport-standard.html#idTab5

Just off the phones with few insurance companies and all asked about IBT and one didn’t cause it wouldn’t quote me lol weird too. Yamaha Dragstar 650cc XVS
    Learner Permit.

CN quoted me €456 which I’m very pleased with
    Principal Quoted me €477 with an option to pay half & half which is different and an option too. Pay half now and then half 30 days later.

Liberty wouldn’t insure me at all. Mad how one place just won’t entertain it and get two great quotes off the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just off the phones with few insurance companies and all asked about IBT and one didn’t cause it wouldn’t quote me lol weird too. Yamaha Dragstar 650cc XVS
    Learner Permit.

CN quoted me €456 which I’m very pleased with
    Principal Quoted me €477 with an option to pay half & half which is different and an option too. Pay half now and then half 30 days later.

Liberty wouldn’t insure me at all. Mad how one place just won’t entertain it and get two great quotes off the others.

If you haven't done your IBT at all a lot of insurance companies won't touch you, as it's technically illegal to ride the bike without completing it, ergo you don't need insurance.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    If you haven't done your IBT at all a lot of insurance companies won't touch you, as it's technically illegal to ride the bike without completing it, ergo you don't need insurance.

IBT is essential for me just giving info to new riders who haven’t rung up before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I think the agent is entering the date you ring as the date you've done your IBT for quote purposes.

Liberty are useless for bike insurance.
    Your quotes are good but I'd go with Principle.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I've only just noticed that the Germans have a temporary VAT rate cut until the end of December. Down from 19% to the old 16% rate.

Have any other countries reduced on goods? (rather than Rishi's Meal Deals)

I think the agent is entering the date you ring as the date you've done your IBT for quote purposes.

Liberty are useless for bike insurance.
    Your quotes are good but I'd go with Principle.

Well the CN benefit of bringing me and my bike to my address in case of a breakdown is pretty good but I do like the Principal half and half to get it paid off in two lump sums. If you are with principal how do you find them?

Anyone use the DNA Protection Kit that you get with a Carole Nash Policy? Just reading a bit about it there, looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I just think they're nicer to deal with. If I broke down I'd get a family member to come in the van so breakdown assistance has not been something I care about.

Carole nash are ***** with their broker fee and I feel they try to hide it.

I also spoke to a few reps from principle who were with AMI open day down in Wexford and they were sound.

• Advertisement

I just think they're nicer to deal with. If I broke down I'd get a family member to come in the van so breakdown assistance has not been something I care about.

Carole nash are ***** with their broker fee and I feel they try to hide it.

I also spoke to a few reps from principle who were with AMI open day down in Wexford and they were sound.

Can you explain more about the Broker fee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

blade1 wrote: »
    Worth checking this out.
    Cheap enough.

https://shop.becker-technik.de/en/home/8-motorbike-lifter-sport-standard.html#idTab5

Has anyone here used that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

What's the feeling on people buying second hand gear now ? Less than a month old on the items that I'm looking to sell

Is there a thread on here for them or what is the best way to do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

What's the feeling on people buying second hand gear now ? Less than a month old on the items that I'm looking to sell

Is there a thread on here for them or what is the best way to do it ?

Maybe throw it in this thread and/or post it on adverts, Facebook buy and sell groups https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057642314/32/#post113581764

• Registered Users Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭blade1

blade1 wrote: »
    Worth checking this out.
    Cheap enough.

kiddums wrote: »
    Has anyone here used that?

Are you in the market for something?
    Looks like a decent enough set up.

Another option is an ABBA superbike stand.
    Buy an arm for it to lift the front of the bike.
    Also, you can buy swingarm removal adaptors.
    Then your covered for swingarm removal and fork removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Anyone use the DNA Protection Kit that you get with a Carole Nash Policy? Just reading a bit about it there, looks good.

I applied it to my bike as a precaution but haven't (thankfully) had to rely on it. It's a gel with little dots which are apparently unique identifiers so you can claim your bike in the event of recovery after theft and is supposedly a deterrent but I'd be dubious of how much it would put off some scumbag thief.

I applied it to my bike as a precaution but haven't (thankfully) had to rely on it. It's a gel with little dots which are apparently unique identifiers so you can claim your bike in the event of recovery after theft and is supposedly a deterrent but I'd be dubious of how much it would put off some scumbag thief.
    Thank you, it’s at least a good tracker for the bike, you’d wander how much Gardaí would bother in tracking it. Wonder how it works for someone who buys it after someone has used the DNA on the bike previously. It’s a good idea though in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Carole Nash is only good for insuring custom builds no one else will touch.And they rob you for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

Carole Nash is only good for insuring custom builds no one else will touch.And they rob you for the privilege.

Pretty good on the blade too, no robbing there, with them a few years now and they've always been great, but as always it all depends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

With CN on K1200. They were charging €90 broker fee, but when I told them Principals quote they dropped the fee down to €20 to match it.
    Can't fault them for that.
    And the fee was very obvious on the renewal document.

Advertisement