Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Sounds like nonsense.

I rang all day and majority of times it went straight to "user busy". The few times it did actually ring out nobody ever answered.

Probably another case of an Open Week in name only. I'd be shocked too many actual visitors get to play in these competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

I got in. I rang 88 times over the course of the day and persistence paid off. They said on the phone they were flat out alright. Not enough staff. Got my tee time anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Playing the Old Course in Lahinch next week for the first time. Beyond excited!

Any tips? Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

So cynical.

i’d say the average conversation for booking one of these slots is 10 mins.

“looking for Monday”

”we’ve only a few slots left, about 4pm”

”too late. what about Thirsday”

”yes that’s stroke play, plenty of availability”

”stroke play…. No, we couldn’t do that. One of the lads would quit forever if it was a five hour round. How’s Wednesday looking?”

”it’s the Annesley and there’s room still”

”what’s the Annesley?”

cue 2 mins of humming and haaing.

“Monday at 4 will do well. We want the big course. Can I book for 4 players”.

”that’ll be £280. Can I get your credit card details?”

”what, you’ve to pay up front? I’m not sure if two of them will go! Can I leave a deposit instead?”

”thats not how it works”.

”okay I’ll call you back”.

——

admin ain’t as easy as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

They could just use an automated online booking service like every other club in the country. They seem like a very amateur outfit. Mad to believe they get to play on one of the best courses around.

• Advertisement

They also aren't answering emails even though it specifically says you can book using it.

They’re taking bookings for courses they don’t own.

I’m sure it’s entirely possible. And I’m sure it wouldn’t be difficult to set up.

i’d expect they discuss doing it every year too.

But I expect that when they balance up paying for it, getting it set up and getting staff trained up, for one week a year…. going back to pen and paper has more benefits.

I would've thought the members would benefit from a booking system all year.

I'm just baffled by how shambolic it is.

I did eventually get through after 150+ calls.

Literally sat for an hour and as soon as it came up user busy i immediately rang again.

Coulnd't get booked in for the Friday team comp unfortunately so playing the singles on Monday.

I've played the course about 5/6 times so wouldn't be arsed with this booking malarkey in future.

I've probably rang more. It's not even busy this morning, it's just ringing through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 4 Putt

Has anyone else managed to get through or received a call/email back... I provisionally booked a four ball for the Friday 2 weeks ago(was told payment won't be taken till the 11th April but bookings were being taken, emailed all the details(CDH numbers) for the the 4 players going... We have all organised time of work.. Have tried ringing/left voice messages and 2 emails but still nothing back...

Same. Multiple emails and calls later and nothing. They can keep it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭redhill

It's all a bit amateurish alright, I was told you couldn't book till the 11th, I phoned at 9.00 and got the dreaded answerphone, left a message and then sent an email, full details etc like yourself, haven't heard a dickybird since.

It's disgraceful carry on really and no way to run an event.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd imagine they are bombarded and as most likely a group of volunteers simply overwhelmed with voicemails/emails etc. Will take time to wade through

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

If only they heard of something called the internet and online booking systems.....

are you going to post a variation of this message in every single day, just in case we didn’t understand first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Narin&Portnoo is a savage golf course. Was on holidays last year, stayed in Ardara and played the course. First 4 or 5 holes are a little bland scenery wise, but from the 6th onwards its a stunning golf course. All the holes down around the coast are class. Couple of the greens are nuts though.... thinking the 12th...ish.... hole has a mental green on it. But there are some really breathtaking holes on it. Well worth a game :D

In fairness to them, I got a call back today and I'm booked in(Confirmation email sent too) .. She said the amount of calls(messages) and emails is unreal(most of them probably from me😂😂)..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Beaulieu

Ballybunion Intermediate Scratch Cup -slots available Sunday 8th May 2022. €50 Old Course.

See https://members.ballybuniongolfclub.ie/visitoropen.php?compid=38596&stage=teetime

I finally got through, just called randomly and got an answer. I was shocked.

Can confirm that the call took about 15-20 mins. Efficiency isn't their strong point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Hoboo

They have a booking system all year. They're taking bookings for a completely different club. After one courteous email I received a 4 minute call and booked 3 lines without issue. Seems they use their emails and answering machine as a filtering system, did you get booked in the end?

Did anyone happen to play Royal County Down yesterday afternoon?

Some of the worst weather you will ever see. Golf was impossible. Huge puddles forming on greens yet course remained open.

Thankfully I only travelled about 30 mins to get there and waste £70. We managed to last 9 holes before walking in but was speaking to various fellas who had came from all over the country saying they had walked in after 3 and 5 holes.

We angled for a refund after our 9 holes explaining that balls were oscillating on green and there were huge puddles in particular on the first green. But we were pied off saying that it is Royal County Down who make the decision about the course and not Mourne Golf club who's open competition it was.

This mixed with the absolutely farcical booking arrangements which involved 200+ phone calls means i am unlikely ever to give RCD another penny of my money. Played it 5/6 times now and this might well be my last.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

That's bad luck. I've had a similar experience on a course in Kerry for a Junior Scratch Cup.

Golfers travel from all over the country to play at a discounted price so they will never postpone or cancel unless there is a weather warning in place. The course was virtually unplayable but remained open.

Playing on RCD on Friday and looks like we are getting the best of the weather.

That's disappointing and especially at this time of the year, you would think you be safe from that amount of rain but unfortunately it's Ireland.. I'm out myself Friday and really looking forward to it, 1st time playing it...And thankfully at the moment it looks like it is going to be dry but going to be windy..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Played RCD last year on a GUI evening rate. 90 euro. Couple of mates played it yesterday and said they couldn't get in to the main clubhouse which was a bit of a pain. Said the RCD members were very ignorant towards them. We didnt get any of that last year i guess as we were paying RCD. We did come across an ignorant member on course though.

Played Rosapenna last Thursday and Friday, its is a great set up there and the course are fantastic. Although enjoyable i wouldnt be in a rush back to play Sandy Hills or Old Tom, but i would play St Patrick's Links in the morning.

There was 2 temporary greens on the 5th and 14th, and i had heard the 14th was a gorgeous hole so was disappointing we couldn't play it as intended. Fairways are still a bit soft in places so probably needs another year of good growth to become in top condition. Greens were fantastic, some crazy slopes on them that if you short side yourself forget about getting close to the pin.

195 for the 3 course. I wonder do they have plans for a dedicated clubhouse for St Patrick's or what is the plan there? I presume their long term goal is to host an Irish Open, which it would be a fantastic course for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,416 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Funnily enough, I was playing Doonbeg recently (at a rate of €75 which if I played the week after would've been €200)

Greens were some of the best I've ever played, but bunkers mostly weren't in play (awaiting for a sand delivery allegedly)

However, on the Member thing that you encountered, I THINK it was a member anyway, but the 2nd of the short par 4s (I think it was the 6th), my ball ran about 25 yards onto the green from my tee shot, and I mean now it trickled onto the Green (2 lads on green were up at back of it at flag)

They gave the eyes to the tee box just standing there staring back at us. Was awaiting the inevitable words which we got on the next tee of 'don't tee off when we are on the green'. I said I didn't think the ball was reaching anywhere near the green nor did I call fore because there was no danger whatsoever. He repeated his line with a 'DON'T. TEE. OFF. WHEN. WE. ARE. ON. THE. GREEN' and they slowly (on purpose) made their way down the 7th. It was the Father of the duo that was speaking out. The son (presumably) in his 30s didn't say a word.

We got to overtake them when they sat for food at the hut thing luckily, but it was absolutely painful and could've ruined our round if he kept at it.

Funnily enough if I was in their situation I'd have been saying 'jaysis that was some drive' to the person behind me!

Things like that though can put a soft-skinned person off the game when being berated.

Played RCD today off their medal tees (white). Pretty windy but playable, really enjoyed it and thought everybody at club was very nice. I'll be back next year and hopefully they sort the booking system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭The Aul Switcharoo

Played it today too. Was windy but playable. Lost 4 balls with a very shaky driver.

What a course though. Really makes you see how good the pros really are. Although it's not far off the blue tees, it was still very long off the whites and especially into the howling winds

Did get a nice 2 on 14 though for the 2s competition😎

Advertisement