Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

It is always a topic of disagreement - but in Ireland, golfers consider Links only to be sand based. There are lots of course on the sea that are not considered " Links ".

I will add, that I'd rather play any course by the sea than not. I just think the views and sea breeze add so much to a round for me.

A few more courses that are by the sea - but not links, would be the likes of Wicklow and Old Head. There are a few more courses that are actually a bit of a hybrid of links and parkland - these are ones that cause even more angst amongst the purists (not myself to be honest).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Seapoint has some links and some parkland holes I believe 🤯

Agree on the sea, however, playing courses by the sea where you can't see it are a particular bugbear. That's another black mark against Seapoint for me, have played it plenty (and like it) but would like to lose myself gazing out over the coast.

Neighbouring Baltray, you don't get the views too much either. It's what really separates the south west links, the spectacular cliff views.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Yea I would say the same about Old Head too. Certainly not a links.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Yeah Old Head is definitely not a links, some scenery though. Courtown is beside the sea as well and not links, plenty of examples of that style around. Theres inland links style courses too or course that play closer to a links than a parkland when nowhere near the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭blue note

I tell the story every time I play there - but the first time I played Portmarnock Links I remarked around the 11th hole that we basically hadn't had any decent views. Just as I said it, we looked up at the Dunes and there was a Brazilian (I've decided she was Brazilian) real life version of the Venus de Milo in a thong bikini facing away from us. It was one of those "wish you were her" postcard images.

I try saying it again to repeat the moment, but she hasn't reappeared.

• Advertisement

Is St Pat's in Rosapenna mapped out on Garmin golf app does anyone know? I can't find it on it.

It happened to me on Narin and Portnoo that the course wasn't mapped out for my watch and it was a major problem! Especially when you go offline.

I could select it on my watch 2 weeks ago, but it wasn't doing anything for me. was stuck on the first hole and the distances weren't changing as i was getting closer to the hole so just switched it off and used the course planner. There is a temp green on 5 and 14, so they gave us a leather pouch and course planner free to make up for it. The 2 greens in question looked perfect to play on but weren't ready.

The 14th is a beautiful hole but the second shot is a nothing shot with the temporary green, the actual green is way back and would make the hole much more difficult.

Portrush is another one that you could forget you are beside the sea for at least half the holes but in my opinion it doesn't take away from it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

Blainroe has a couple of holes right on the sea but isn't a links either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Kilkee certainly not links, howling wind there today

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

I liked it as a kid - as had no real experience of golf courses ?

Probably only an average course at best ?

but certainly by the sea....

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Surely the “half the holes” observation is true for (just about) all links courses?

I mean on a pure links, there’s always the turf to remind you of where you are.

But if the sight/sound of the sea is what you mean…. Dunes and routing tend to conceal.

RCD, you wouldn’t see the sea again after your tee shot on 10.

European Club. Nothing much sea-side-y at all all in the early or late holes. St Patricks of the purest form of links, similar. Glashedy, similar. Baltray, little if nothing. Co Sligo, feels a little inland for a handful of holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Shank Williams

Murvagh pure links but you don’t see too much aside from glimpses of the sea

Portstewart, no sea from what I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 21,206 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I don't remember seeing the sea much at St Andrews tbh, maybe the attention was drawn to the holes though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭Xander10

I played woodbrook a few years ago. Beside the sea but don't recall it being very links like.

A nice gentle track. Always found it hard to believe it was tough enough for Irish Opens.

Were you asleep for the first and second tee shot :D

First, yes. Second, I honestly don't remember sea views, that was a par 3 into dune complex from memory. After that I don't remember sea views across any holes.

Don't remember too much sea in Castlerock either

I'm sure it's not as binary as no sea views on the east, amazing ones on the west.

From what I've played on the West though they're incredible! And on the east you'd hardly notice the sea on baltray and Portmarnock links (bar the 16th tee box). Corballis has some fantastic views.

I've also played rosslare and Portrush (inferior) course, but can't remember what the views were.

But if it's just views you're after, goldcoast in Waterford has some great views. Not links though. I do think it's fair to say that sea views are the best though. Although I'd be open to a nice mountain range in the background too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

9, 10, 11 and 18 are all sea views at the links. Damn planners wouldn’t allow higher than the existing dunes.

16 green tee box has the best views all round

Some of the best views I can think off are.

Old Head

Dooks

Tralee

Ballybunion

Corballis

Portrush

Enniscrone (eventually)

Rosses Point

Deer Park

Ardglass

All of Donegal - just incredible - particularly Rosapenna.

Views make a course for me - nearly the most important part.

The second is just from the tee box.

I can't say I've ever walked off a links course thinking "i wish i saw more sea". Definitely doesn't define how good a course is for me.

It's part of it for me. Cruit Island being the best example. I remember the course being fine, but the views out of this world. I was in awe of them for 9 holes.

That's an extreme example. But to take an example of a course that's been mentioned - on Portmarnock links I did notice that I hadn't seen the sea for a long time after teeing off. It's a fantastic course, but I do notice while playing that the sea is reachable, but for the most part not visible. And then on 16 you get a spectacular view.

And it definitely added to my enjoyment of the Donegal courses that I was constantly hitting into a spectacular backdrop. It's not the most important thing, but it does matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭redhill

The sea view from the 1st tee in Portstewart is one of the best in Irish golf and most likely helps the hole be always mentioned when the best opening hole in Ireland is discussed. You can see the sea again as has been mentioned on the 2nd , another fantastic view where you can see the whole town in the background. You can also see it at holes 3 and new tee box at 4 and if you were inclined at a few other points though none of them as good as holes 1+2

Is there any Bank Holiday Weekend Opens on any of the Big Links courses, had a look but could not find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Walking up onto the first tee box in Portstewart is one of the best , no scratch that, it is THE BEST view I’ve experienced as I have walked onto a golf course in Ireland, scratch that again, anywhere in the world

Yeah, brain fart forgetting the first although it was all misted over the day I played so saw none of it until in the car park after the round

Narin & Portnoo quietly have lovely beach views too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

That's all well and good but can it really beat a graveyard and holiday home park like in Ballybunion

Advertisement