Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Played St Patrick's during the week and was the best Links course I have played in years. Amazing to build a Links at all in this day and age- and then to add the fact Tom Doak has done it, adds to the intrigue of it all.

You can certainly recognize a sort of Carne and a Scottish / Irish style - but the broken waste edges are fairly usual and you see them more in desert type courses.

I will add - that perhaps with Irish wind speeds this course may have difficulty bedding in - but I guess these guys know what they are doing.

The course is definitely still too young - and will take many years to settle in. The views are like nothing I have seen in Ireland.

If I was to make a single criticism - some of the green complexes are far too extreme. makes some pins a bit pointless. But I guess all that will take time to work out.

Will be back for years to come.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It’s getting great reviews alright, it was originally 36 holes and the fairways were cut throughout the years it was closed so as long as the current 18 uses mostly “old” fairways the bedding in time should be short. Greens were also cut but not to playable level so I’d imagine they will take longer, just look how long new 9 in Carne and relaid Doonbeg took

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Which part of the clubhouse could they not enter, the guest section above the pro shop or the private members building next door to the pro shop? If it was the members section, yes, you’ll be given short thrift if you don’t sound like a a flautist. Americans however are guided to the guest area.

No problems using the guest section over the pro shop. Although one of the group walked into the members section and asked for the toilets, was told to go to Mourne golf club, and not directed next door.

I’ve been to Newcastle/RCD 5 times now and tbh I think I’ve had my fill of the mixed welcome, Mourne GC members were all lovely, chalk and cheese.

The members I’ve encountered in RCD say no, lovely course but the people are rude ****.

If you have a Southern accent then that might determine the reaction you get ;-)

Mod comment

Take it easy here now Ted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

They couldn't go in for food was their main issue I think.

I will be going back to play at some point but I wont be very polite myself to anyone after the member incident I experienced last year, and will be spending no money in the proshop. Its a shame there is a lot of mixed reviews about the members/welcome visitors get as its one of the finest courses in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

We played on Friday and went into the pro-shop afterward.

Asked about the availability of food but were then asked if we were playing in the Mourne open week. When we confirmed we were we were told that food is available over in the Mourne GC clubhouse. We decided not to buy anything in the pro shop.

I'm not sure if they have an agreement with Mourne for the week that they send the golfer over there for food etc so they benefit from the revenue but I doubt that's the case.

Customer service is not a strong point there

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Surely it would be the case?

it’s Mourne’s open week. Their cash cow. They’re the club that, in response to demand, must upscale staffing and supplies for the week.

and similarly, with their course rented out for the week, it’s an opportunity for RCD to pare back and relax for a few days.

I’ve little doubt that this kind of thing could be handled with more courtesy, and a simple explanation for Mourne’s visitors. But TBH if Mourne didn’t explain this to you on check-in, then it’s more on Mourne than RCD imho.

Or if was explained to you, then it’s on neither!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

sounds like what most people who are not into golf think what most of golf is like. I hate that crap, fair enough if there is a reserved space for members but its no excuse to treat visitors like that. Vast majority of clubs I have been too roll out the red carpet for visitors

Same as. Have played a lot of the top links in the country and this the only one we had a sour experience with, Portrush club members were so friendly compared to RCD. One of them got chatting to us and brought us out in Portstewart the following day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭SEORG

I'm not sure the last part of your comment was necessary there. It wasn't explained, if it was the case then that's fine and I have no issue with that whatsoever. We had lunch in Mourne afterward.

The issue we had was with the change of attitude once we confirmed we played in the Mourne open event and the manner in which it was communicated to us. The not-so-subtle 'you're not welcome here' was unwarranted, a bit of courtesy goes a long way in my book. RCD had guests playing on the day, we spotted a few groups with caddies out there so the place wasn't closed.

We received a very pleasant welcome when checking in and had a great chat with one of the officers of the club while having our meal. He was our starter that morning. We told him the story, and he told us a few experiences of others that I won't repeat here but there was a pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ArdLix11

Played the old course in Ballybunion over the weekend and the greens were poor in my opinion. Very slow and patchy. A bit of pot luck for putts to hold their line. Played it about a dozen times since they've redone the greens and they're always not great. Nowhere near as good as Waterville or Tralee which is in the same bracket. The new course have far better greens even though they're smaller. A friend of mine is a member there and he gives out about them too. I wouldn't be too impressed if I was coming from overseas paying €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭blue note

How much did you pay to play it? I thought that was a course where they don't differentiate between Irish and American.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 ArdLix11

Friend is a member. Think they pay about €50 to bring out a guest.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

I played Ballybunion Old in the Intermediate Scratch 8 days ago. The greens were slow but they rolled as true as any I’ve ever played. And I’ve played plenty of very good courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If someone is playing Ballybunion at the weekend then they're no yank iirc. I'm almost certain that weekends and public holidays are reserved for members / members guests, which is great for the members... And their occasional guests 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Beaulieu

Ditto! Slow greens but pure as the driven snow. Love Ballybee so I does.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

I'm playing both Tralee and ballybunion this weekend. I preferred Tralee but it's like a choice between fine wines. I'm happy either way.

What is the green fee if you don't mind me asking?

I contacted Lahinch about a booking, they are fully booked out for the year, and had no interest in entertaining me in 2023 either once I mentioned if there was a Golf Ireland rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

I think some people equate speed to quality. The greens in BB have always ran thru for me. A couple of years ago there was a day when they were not in good shape but for the most part they were a joy to putt on.

Last sept when I was looking to book into Tralee and BB they were looking for 240. I guess the price has gone up this year. I know they have doubled the green fee for the cashen to 140.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Always found links greens to be slower than a good parkland, I presume its so on a windy day the ball stays on the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I played RCD for first time about a week and half ago, We got the GUI rate £90 normal green fee £290. Have to say it was a great day we got there about 2 hours before tee time. Weather was awful, they were loads of Yanks there playing full whack plus having caddies. Had a bit of food and coffee up in the bar, alot of the yanks were coming into the bar after 9 drowned and still wearing their golf shoes for a drink. Was surprised they were allowed wear them in the bar,

Anyway weather luckily cleared up, they didn't make us take a fore caddie even though none of us had played there before. I have to say I loved the course, it is very long. Never hit so many woods long irons after good drives. Must be 5/6 blind drives. Didn't think there were any weak holes and now my favourite links. Newcastle itself I thought was a really nice town in comparison to Portrush which we stayed in the night before.

Played Portstewart the day before, again great experience, thought the front 9 was class with the high dunes. The back 9 was weaker but still a great course. Now I just need to get out on Portrush!!

Playing Kilkee tomorrow, but am I playing a Links course? Looks that way to me

Didnt even know there was a course there, not sure its links as its built on top of rock, Links has to be sand based?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

I think about 50 euro each, that might include lunch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭redhill

When I was a lot younger I read that the actual definition of a links course was that it was within a mile of the sea/coast

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

linksland

/ˈlɪŋksland/

nounSCOTTISH

noun: linksland

1. level or undulating sandy ground covered by coarse grass and near the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

it’s almost entirely about the turf.

which is hard to explain until you play seaside courses that aren’t links (Greenore, Ardglass).

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Galway bay is as close to the sea as you can get and most definitely is not links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭blue note

Waterford has a couple of courses on the sea that are simply parklands. I've hit balls into the sea on Goldcoast, but you'd never confuse it with a links.

Advertisement