Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭dk1982

Had the pleasure of playing the European Club on Tuesday in an Open for €80. My God what a treat, exceeded my expectations by quite alot. Fastest greens ive ever played but a lovely true roll on them. Tee boxes, fairways, bunkers all pristine, remarkable for this time of year really. We were greeted with a warm welcome by the great Pat Ruddy beforehand who was an absolute gent. We were off the yellows and had lovely weather with just a mild breeze so wasnt playing as difficult as I know it normally does, but was still a great challenge. Every hole was so different and spectacular in its own way. Have been lucky enough to play Waterville, Ballybunion, The Island, Carne and Enniscone in the last few months and only Waterville gets close to it for me. Cant wait to get back there next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

This is from Tom Coyne's, Course Called Ireland, no name unfortunately but a good round for a Golf Geek Quiz!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

That's not a complete list.. for example in Leinster, The European, Seapoint and Corballis are not listed, and in Ulster, Rosapenna inexplicably is missing. There may be others. I haven't gone through it in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Congrats to Royal county Dublin on joining the 20th Century

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Mod comment: Let's not derail a great thread, thanks

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭willabur

Ballybunnion going to double the green fees on the Cashen Course. That would make it 160 to play there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭TXPTGR1

Robbery- Kerry is no place for the Irish when it comes to links golf

sligo/Donegal are where it’s at if you are planning a summer golf trip

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭redhill

I suppose I may chip in with my twopence worth of my golf year playing links et al . I played the European 10 days ago and I could have almost have written your review, couldn’t believe the condition of course for last week in November, greens were truly unreal and some really amazing holes, I have it the best in Ireland only trumped by Turnberry in courses I have played myself. I managed 33 points(play off 7) and though it was challenging but rewarding. Can’t wait to go again in summer when rough May be a bit more penal..

other links courses played this year include

Portrush, was class too, I played most of these courses in great non Irish weather this season, shot 30 points, really mucked up the 2 new holes 7&8 but played steady, it’s funny seeing it now without the grandstands etc as I was up the whole week for the Open, though I enjoyed it I didn’t really get that amazing buzz from it…don’t know why…

Portstewart, next door to Portrush, what a course, immense, I’ve played it many’s a time and the thrill is defo there, all the words have already been said about the front 9, back 9 is not as good but it’s still good, some nice holes, 11,12,13 is a nice stretch and depending on wind 16&17 can be a right challenge. 34 pts

A mention on course architecture, there is always talk of these guys like tour pros and the big league of top course architects overseeing big projects,Portstewart’s front 9 is quite often talked about as the best front 9 in Ireland, it was designed by …a local schoolteacher .

Baltray, played here for 1st time in the Junior Scratch cup, over 7000 yards, again lovely day, a gentle one club wind, thought it was an amazing course, I loved the high tee boxes so you cud see the hole in front of you, the 7000 yards was daunting at first but we were that far back that I couldn’t reach the fairway bunkers, so hit loads of fairways, played good too, was +5 gross after 4 holes and finished +9 gross, so happy enough for first time tackling course, I ranked it higher than Portrush this summer…

Laytown and Bettystown, not a premier league links I know but we loved it, a very very enjoyable links course, a bit short but good fun, if you get a good deal around 30-35 euro defo worth playing

Enniscrone, being Belfast based some of these are a right trek, played an Open here in Sept, again a lovely track, a benign cloudy one club wind, it starts great, then a wee lull , then amazing again, played great had 36 pts , only disappointment was on 13th, hit a lovely rescue right over centre of the stone marker in fairway and lost the ball, a mate went way right of stone and ended in middle of fairway… maybe stone was for a tee behind us.

The European, see above, better than anything this year…

Other courses played this year

had a 2 day trip to Carton House, played O’Meara first, was v nice, Monty next day was In Amazing condition, (first week in September) .Greens were immaculate, had a nice 41 pts which helps.

Slieve Russell, really maturing to a lovely track.

Malone and Belvoir in Belfast, I know this is a mainly “southern” forum geography speaking as most golf forum members hail from there, but y’all need to venture up North more to experience these 2 parklands and a few others, both great courses, as good as any parkland in Ireland.. Kevin Markham is in Belvoir every month taking pictures it seems, maybe he can fill you all in better, Kevin?

in conclusion, this years ranking for me was

European

Baltray & Portstewart joint 2nd

Portrush

Enniscrone

Hoping to get a few more next year, Co.Donegal perhaps, a few there I haven’t played…

Enjoy your golf

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Checked the BallyB website for anything on this, they have their 2022 green fees listed as €275 and €80 still.

Where did you hear this? God I hope you’re wrong

here, listen, I am good but I am not God!

Brother in law is a member there, was playing golf with him there a couple of weeks back. They have alot of money in the coffers to invest in the entire club, there will be upgrades to the existing driving range and to the club house. Also looking at investing in the cashen course but by the sounds of it they won't be going down the full redesign route (which was one of the options put to the members)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Does the European Club have Opens all year round? The reviews here are making me want to play there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

No. Mainly in the off months. Think they might have a senior open during the year.

Go for it. Its the best €80 you'll spend. It's in incredible condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Class golf course. Extremely difficult golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Lovely evening yesterday for 12 holes before dark. Nothing better than links at this time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Class pic that

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Are you sure, A year or two back pretty sure they ran all year round. It was something like a open fourball 2 days and senior open 1 day a week (included a friday and sunday I think)

Always thought it was the most accessible of the top 10/20 courses in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Yeah the fourball runs all summer, I think it used to be if you won you qualified for another week or something? Can't quite remember.

looks like they have one every day over xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

What course is this? I feel like its the island but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Played RCD last week, first time for me. I'm not a regular links player at all and generally find them a real struggle as I'm not really asked to play the sort of shots they require at all for most of the year. Even though I played terribly here it was still an incredible experience. Some of the holes are outstanding really and I think I'll struggle to find a better course on this island. Have yet to play plenty of other top links though so will revisit this after that. Couple of holes stood out for me, 2nd with the green tucked away. The 8th and 9th are a fantastic back to back combo and the 13th was my favourite hole, dunes either side and tempting you to either go with a driver and risk trouble or take something smaller and leave yourself with a long way into the green.

10/10 for me and at £90 a great price during the off season if you can get the weather.

• Advertisement

Yea i loved it, played it in the summer, only had something like 26pts but loved every minute of it. My favorite hole was probably the 9th or 11th, but they are all fantastic.

Were you off mats or no restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

The 11th is lovely hole allright. I'd have liked the 9th more if I didn't take 3 to get off the tee :) I think I had 26 points as well, birdied the 5th which was the highlight of my round playing wise.

No restrictions at all surprisingly. Course in great condition as well.

The weather has been so mild that there has been a decent amount of growth. Fairways in our place have come back really well, the place has never been in better shape. So no need for the protective measures until there is a good hit of frost I would guess

Yea the 5th also a lovely hole, although i think most of the group got caught out where to hit the tee-shot. We played in summer during the hot spell so we were all hitting the ball miles longer than normal so we didn't know where to aim. Lovely hole though.

My guess would be St Annes

I was looking at the road and didn't even notice them. The only course I have played with those in view is Portmarnock, but I remember the road wider.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

11 of us, all members of the Blessed Nine Played Arklow today very enjoyable in very benign conditions. The greens though were really slow for a links course and it took 8 0r 9 holes to get your speed right. It was a 15 hole open with 15,16, and 17 being out of play due to course improvement work being done. Nice change and great to meet and play with your mates on a nice day, 33 was our best and a boardsie member, Welll Done Golf Nut.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's a lovely course, really opens up to some lovely parkland looking holes in spots, must get back there next year

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Advertisement