Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭blue note

At least you put worst in inverted commas. It's like asking which member of the Dutch women's hockey team is the ugliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

🤣 off now to Google the Dutch womens hockey team

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Does anyone know if the fairways are back in play in Waterville?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

OTM is the least eye catching of the 3 as the front 9 in particular is set in lower dunes and away from the sea. But it’s a fine golf course and the back 9 is superb. it’s the shortest and easiest walk.

Sandy Hills is a beautiful brute. Apart from the stunning 6th and 3rd, it mostly rolls into each other and you won’t find yourself remembering individual holes. But it’s rhythm is sensational and it’s a great course for letting it rip off the tee then climb a dune to look for your ball.

St Patricks is the star of the show, an absolutely extraordinary golf course, which has a series of brilliant reveals and memorable holes. Its conditioning won’t yet match the more established pair but you won’t mind, trust me.

——-

Mine is a drinking man’s society and for fun and hangover friendliness, if we had to pick 2 it would probably be OTM and St Patrick’s. Sandy Hills shouldn’t be relegated by anyone at anytime, but it battered us into submission last July.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Playing Murvagh next week, 2 open comps on the bank Holiday days, 35 quid for entry so can't go wrong there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

Murvagh is brilliant

Just back from a weekend in Murvagh.

the course isn’t quite in the best of shapes. Greens were pole forked recently, which should be sorted by the time you arrive…. but they’re generally patchy and look like they’ve had a tough winter. There’s bits of GUR on most holes and 5-6 bunkers under reconstruction - though you’d expect that surely this time of year.

Still an enjoyable course, a good but fair test (rough is generally manageable), and the warmest of welcomes from all staff. But you won’t be getting the links greens you’ve been dreaming off over the winter.

Cheers for that heads up. Luckily I've played it before so I've experienced it at its peak. Would be nice to have it in proper condition but I won't complain too much. With how my game is, the less bunkers possible the better. First game since September so could be grim

Mourne GC have open week from 8th May to end if week, so that cover Royal County Down

https://twitter.com/Mourne_GC/status/1506169214570270721?t=T_aEZ2yzxJ1y07K8eFDQqg&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

This right here is an astute and accurate snapshot of Rosapenna's three courses. Sandy Hills has been made a lot easier... or perhaps 'accessible'... in recent years. It was the toughest course in Ireland (IMO) but fairways have been widened and some tee boxes and bunkers relocated. Personally, I thought the condition of St Patrick's was magnificent but a lot of people are suggesting it needs to settle in... so anyone visiting can judge for themselves. I certainly wouldn't want to see the course over-manicured - that's not its vibe.

• Advertisement

You’re right there Kevin. St Patrick’s wasn’t designed to be over-manicured. It’s natural golf. I guess what I mean in terms of conditioning is that when I played (first weekend open to public tbf!) there were a few sparse patches here and there, and I’d guess that over time there will become a clearer definition between green and fairway (which there’s really no need for).

Ballyliffin (played in Nov) enjoys a similar kind of disparity between its course “style” rather than conditioning. The Old feels more natural. Some would describe that feeling as “rougher round the edges”. Whereas I think most people without any information at all would be able to pick out Glashedy and Sandy Hills as having the same designer. There’s a clear symmetry in polished presentation between those too.

I'm booked into Rosapenna St Pats and Old Tom in June. I'm very excited about this! We went to Donegal two years ago and had three incredible courses in Narin, Portsalon and Cruit island. Narin is the best course I've ever play and Cruit the most picturesque. I have it in my head that St Pats is going to replace Narin for me. But I'm pretty sure no place will ever take my breath away like Cruit island. Spectacular.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Have Carne, Enniscrone and Rosses Point booked in for mid July, so looking forward to that.

The par 3 over the cliffs in Cruit is absolutely stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

Might be up in Donegal in July, and staying near Narin and Portnoo. Opens on Wednesdays and Saturdays for €50/€65. Has anyone here played there before? Looks amazing.

Literally two posts above I said it was the best course I've ever played!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Murvagh is about 40 minutes from Portnoo and run open comps on Wednesdays for €35. Highly recommended

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Played it a few times as wife is from that neck of the woods so it's close by. Lovely spot, although haven't played it since it's been done up. Supposed to be a better course now for it.

On the area as a whole, the beach is amazing there. Ardara is lovely spot with some nice pubs (Nancy's, Corner House). Best County for golf and holidaying

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Annual trip to Rosapenna for me again in a few days. Love the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭willabur

Played there last year and the condition was close to perfect. So have to disagree strongly with that

• Registered Users Posts: 32 sean.ocall

Played both courses at Ballybunion over the weekend. This was my first time on a links course so I have nothing to compare it to, but I was totally blown away. I'm still buzzing from it. I can remember every single hole from the 36 in detail. Looking forward to exploring a bit further over the Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Haven't played there since July last year, but can't say it stood out for being in poor condition IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I've played it every August for the last 3 years and it's has progressively gotten worse. Now, it could be just that time of year but greens very slow and knarly. General condition of the course hasn't been great.

I will say that it's a superb course and a real test but not in the condition that I'd expect and most from our group that travel, agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Booked in for May for the 3 courses. Cant wait.

Lots seem to be going to rosapenna. I think we're right to do it now before the American tours start going there in greater volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

4 of us do an annual trip away and we normally do 3 different courses. But this involves a lot of travelling. Last year we done Portmarnock, RCD and Ardglass. Rosapenna is perfect for 3 days golf and only having to travel 5 minutes between rounds. And they are doing the 3 course pass for €195, serious value.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

What’s the hotel like in Rosapenna for leaving the missus to her own devices while out golfing

like to go to a place with a spa etc for that reason but Rosapenna looks a bit old school and sparse facilities wise for the money v likes o

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭redhill

Booking opened today for this according to the flyer, anyone get on?

they only had a answerphone message most of the day, sent an email too but heard nowt back

• Advertisement

They just tweeted saying phones going all day, working through all requests

Advertisement