Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭mk7775

County Louth Team Events - €60pp

There have been so many conversations about green fee 'value'. While one person will see €100 to play The European Club as superb value for money, another will continue to proclaim it is a rip-off.

Easier to digest is the following: County Louth Golf Club are launching their OPEN 4 PERSON TEAM EVENTS today, Monday 31st. For €60 per head (including €10 spend in the restaurant) you get to play one of Ireland's top ranked links. Events will be held every Thursday from Sept 10th.

Does anyone want to complain about that? No, I didn't think so.

Bookings via www.countylouthgolfclub.com

Would anyone be interested in joining up to book a 4 ball?

I need to get better mates (or at least ones with handicaps!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I personally wouldn't pay 280 as it can be played in July for 50 quid for a week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

thewobbler wrote: »
    Baltray doing an fourball on Thursdays in September.

€240 a team including €40 towards a meal.

Good value imo. They seem to be controlling it by offering only 31 slots on the 10th up to 12.30pm, which incidentally generates €7,440 for them, while not inconveniencing members too much. Interesting that there are still 22 slots free for Thursday next week 10th Sept

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Played Carne twice in as many days. Scenery is absolutely magnificient.

The good: I'm not sure there is a better view in all of Irish golf than when standing on the 7th teebox on the Kilmore course. The 5th fairway is below you and incredible views out to Blacksod bay. The Kilmore 9 is a wild ride that is unrelenting. The 3rd hole is like hitting the ball into a chute that plays down into a chasm. I'd love to know the altitude difference between tee box and green. From the Hackett course the 17th is a monster. Both days I ended up in a quarry to the left of the fairway. Its one of the toughest index 1's I have played. I could still be there and not make par. 18th then is another rollercoaster. 11th on the Hackett course was also a highlight. Elevated tee box to fairway guarded by a massive dune on the right. Hole is a dog leg right so its either a 7 iron to the turn or a driver to carry the dune to the green. High risk reward Hole. Food in the Lir restaraunt was fantastic.

The bad: There wasn't much to be honest. As the Kilmore course sits in the middle of the Hackett course I thought the signs for various tee boxes could have been a bit better but that could have been just me. I thought the 5th par 5 in Kilmore was a tad unfair as it doesn't reward an excellent drive from a mediocre one. Its about the only par 5 I have played that isn't reachable in 2 due to presence of a massive dune and a tight fairway. So if you hit the drive 300 yards you might only be able to advance it 120 more. Whereas if you only hit it 200 you can advance it 200 more or at least try to but again only a small thing I noted.

The whole experience was 10 out of 10. I played Old head this summer and I would rank Carne ahead of it. Not as well manicured and greens not as pretty but I enjoy the ruggedness, dunes and contouring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

that par5 on the kilmore is an amazing hole. I wanted to play it again once I finished it.
    I think you need to go over the massive dune, or at least be right of the dune and there is a large enough fairway the other side. The only way you can know about this is having someone with you who knows the course or by seeing it from the green. But agreed you could hit an objectively a really good drive that hits the fairway and be really struggling to make it to the green in regulation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

willabur wrote: »
    that par5 on the kilmore is an amazing hole. I wanted to play it again once I finished it.
    I think you need to go over the massive dune, or at least be right of the dune and there is a large enough fairway the other side. The only way you can know about this is having someone with you who knows the course or by seeing it from the green. But agreed you could hit an objectively a really good drive that hits the fairway and be really struggling to make it to the green in regulation

Last time I played there I hit a good drive on that par 5, 233 yards. I was a touch left and I was up against the fringe of the rough which meant I couldnt cut the corner. tried to go over the dune, played a great shot until the wind caught it at the top of the dune and the ball just stalled and dropped before the peak of the dune.

A cracking hole, ive played it twice and still don't know the best way to play it.

How I played it the last time. That 6 iron was very well struck too. Bloody wind!

willabur wrote: »

Yeah it is an intriguing hole. Not one I'd want to play into a head wind. Its one of those par 5's where a par is actually a very good score. After playing it twice I'm still not sure if I was accompanied by someone that I'd be able to advise them on what to do.

etxp wrote: »
    How I played it the last time. That 6 iron was very well struck too. Bloody wind!

I was reading Mcintosh thoughts on that hole and it was like an essay :D. I think he said as a designer that when the project stalled for a couple of years he inherited the hole and so they worked with what they had but was open to change if it meant slow play. He didn't want someone hitting a drive and an 8 iron onto the green on a par 5. I didn't realise you could play right of the dune until afterwards but having seen your shot summary it makes sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    I was reading Mcintosh thoughts on that hole and it was like an essay :D. I think he said as a designer that when the project stalled for a couple of years he inherited the hole and so they worked with what they had but was open to change if it meant slow play. He didn't want someone hitting a drive and an 8 iron onto the green on a par 5. I didn't realise you could play right of the dune until afterwards but having seen your shot summary it makes sense now.

Fairly sure he's a regular poster on here so we might get some more insights.

• Advertisement

just had a look at the course on google maps. To get home in 2 would take two absolute hero shots. The tee shot needs to be placed on a dime and even at that the approach shot is only possible to one part of the green unless you can mcilroy the ball all the way to the green from the fairway.

Best tactic I can see is to get on the fairway on a line that enables a layup aimed right of the big dune and leave yourself a 100 yard shot in. Not many bunkers on that course funny enough but they have one which will hoover anything running down the fairwary towards the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

I was there last week for a meeting, played 9 and managed to manufacture a birdie on that hole (possibly the first time ever!).

It’s a genuine split fairway hole. The low road to the left of the dune is the longer and in theory the safer way round (despite being quite narrow). The risky, more direct route is over the blind saddle to the right of the dune. Other than seeing a path snake up the near side to the saddle, you wouldn’t know that there is a wide, receiving fairway cut on the far side. To rectify that, I’ve asked that the fairway is brought forward so that you see a tongue of short grass on the near side of the saddle, giving that tease and temptation. Bunkers are indeed set for anyone who goes too far on this line, bringing another element of doubt and indecision.

You cannot - unless you are Tiger - hit this green in two because of the angle that the green is set. On Sunday last, I hit a big drive downwind which took me a little far, past the entrance to the saddle. I then hit 6-iron right over the dune peak (any more club wouldn’t get the height), chipped and putted from 40 yards short. Lots of ways to make mistakes though.

It’s a bold hole, right on the edge. Incredibly beautiful.

Lovely insight there in to the hole. That tease of fairway would make it irresistible :)

Any other changes improvements on the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭redhill

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    I won’t be off work again until the mid term break at the end of October. A few of us from up in the North are looking to get away and play some links golf. Just one or 2 nights. Thinking of Donegal and maybe play ballyliffin/Rosapenna/Portsalon. I would like to maybe go the other direction and play Baltray, Portmarnock or some other courses down there. Does anyone have any idea if there are opens or deals on at that time of the year and are the courses normal playing conditions or lift clean replace.

Even the winter rates are ridiculous on some of those courses. I have heard Baltray are struggling financially so maybe they’ll release more opens and scratch cups that the normal man can afford.

Rosapenna is quite reasonable, we have booked via Yourgolftravel for end of September, 179 for 2 rounds and one night B&B
    Golfbreaks have some reasonable deals too

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

redhill wrote: »
    Rosapenna is quite reasonable, we have booked via Yourgolftravel for end of September, 179 for 2 rounds and one night B&B

Their rough is anything but reasonable!

I was there last week for a meeting, played 9 and managed to manufacture a birdie on that hole (possibly the first time ever!).

It’s a genuine split fairway hole. The low road to the left of the dune is the longer and in theory the safer way round (despite being quite narrow). The risky, more direct route is over the blind saddle to the right of the dune. Other than seeing a path snake up the near side to the saddle, you wouldn’t know that there is a wide, receiving fairway cut on the far side. To rectify that, I’ve asked that the fairway is brought forward so that you see a tongue of short grass on the near side of the saddle, giving that tease and temptation. Bunkers are indeed set for anyone who goes too far on this line, bringing another element of doubt and indecision.

You cannot - unless you are Tiger - hit this green in two because of the angle that the green is set. On Sunday last, I hit a big drive downwind which took me a little far, past the entrance to the saddle. I then hit 6-iron right over the dune peak (any more club wouldn’t get the height), chipped and putted from 40 yards short. Lots of ways to make mistakes though.

Great insight Ally, It really is a masterpiece you sculptured out there. It feels slightly unheralded. After playing it for the first time I was mesmerised and you feel that more people should know about it. Even if it was just a drone flyover or a hole by hole guide. There is one for the Hackett course on the carnegolflinks website but I couldn't find one for the Kilmore 9.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It's a mad hole, tried driver and 9 irons after my first efforts of going for a draw over the dune with your second ended in lost balls.
    Even then with the 9 irons you still have to make it there and putt for a double!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Wow, from the man himself!! Thats super cool

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

redhill wrote: »

Heading to Rosapenna myself in two weeks for the first time for 2 nights stay and golf.

Playing Ballyliffin as a third option.

Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

Thanks for the kind words, folks.

It was great to see that after a few years of the club having no resources or commitment to bringing the Kilmore 9 along, they finally have it in a condition where they can intertwine it with the original course (as they have done with The Wild Atlantic Dunes). The fact that they have started playing competitions over the new course - including last month's Pro-Am - shows how much they have brought the greens on.

That said, there is still work to be done, primarily on the mowing lines to ensure maximum playability and to make sure the look and feel is as I intended. We don't want people losing balls unnecessarily and the 5th (8th Wild Atlantic Dunes) is one of those holes where mowing lines and fairway width makes all the difference. One of the keys is making sure people aim in the right direction if taking the "high road" over the dune saddle. Lost balls on a blind shot when you think you've hit a good one is a frustration I'm keen we avoid.

As for other works, yes there is small tweaking we hope to do in a few areas of the links. The club do operate on a very tight budget so all works have to be considered very carefully. We'll see.

I'm just very excited to see the new 9 now get the love it deserves and look forward to it progressing in the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

... We don't want people losing balls unnecessarily ... Lost balls on a blind shot when you think you've hit a good one is a frustration I'm keen we avoid.

Old 17th Ally, in all my visits I've lost off the tee ever single time, most playing partners too, very difficult fairway to hold your drive, always seem to catch that chasm to the foreground/slightly left

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Old 17th Ally, in all my visits I've lost off the tee ever single time, most playing partners too, very difficult fairway to hold your drive, always seem to catch that chasm to the foreground/slightly left

Index 1 for a reason I suppose, a fade off the tee is required. Ive hit great drives up there only to find them in that big hole :(

I think the par 3 16th seems to always play downwind for me so naturally I always find when standing on that 17th tee box the wind blowing right to left if anything. Its like the ball starts down the middle but gets sucked into that quarry to the left of the fairway. I think if I was going well in a competition I would play it like a par 5. Hit a 7 iron off the tee and another one to lay up. Even if you hit the fairway off the tee the 2nd shot is very difficult. The green is very deep but not wide and there is no future right of the green. Left of the green is heavy rough. Its a very long green. I was interested to see some of the pin placements and I walked up towards the back of the green which must be only 7 or 8 yards wide to see to my horror that the option was there for a back pin placement.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭jams100

Playing rosapenna scratch cup on Saturday (36 holes). Any tips, other than bring plenty of balls? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,808 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

jams100 wrote: »
    Playing rosapenna scratch cup on Saturday (36 holes). Any tips, other than bring plenty of balls? :)

Great tip a low player gave me was it is short . So just play safe .

As ball is lost when off.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Great tip a low player gave me was it is short . So just play safe .

As ball is lost when off.

I would say Rosapenna is a good deal fairer than RCD (blind shots and horrendous gorse), Enniscrone (dunes and doglegs and drops) or European (vast untended areas flanking holes). Especially for the first time player.

The fairways are quite generous even if the rough is not.

It’ll beat you up if you spray it. But I can think of dozens of parklands that do the same!

Back nine is easier. Its a little falter and feels more open, so you’ll find yourself reaching for driver. Hopefully you’re still in contention then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I played almost every links course along the West coast this summer, and would have Rosapenna Sandy in my Top 5. Absolutely great course, and outstanding value for money at €70 a round. If I had any criticism it's that the greens are a bit 'samey'. It's a bit of a monster in that regard as well.

They've a new course due to open next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

thewobbler wrote: »
    I would say Rosapenna is a good deal fairer than RCD (blind shots and horrendous gorse), Enniscrone (dunes and doglegs and drops) or European (vast untended areas flanking holes). Especially for the first time player.

The fairways are quite generous even if the rough is not.

It’ll beat you up if you spray it. But I can think of dozens of parklands that do the same!

Back nine is easier. Its a little falter and feels more open, so you’ll find yourself reaching for driver. Hopefully you’re still in contention then.

Every other golf course on the planet is fairer than the European Club. I play off 4, and my home club is a links, but I can never score anything approaching handicap in that infernal place.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭castor 1

Played Rosapenna (Sandy) this morning and enjoyed it immensely, even though very windy at times.
    12 pts on front and 18 on easier back 9.
    Keeping your drive on the fairway is key.
    Greens are very fair.
    It’s one of the best links I have played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

jams100 wrote: »

visit goose and gander for a pizza.
    I'm playing too in the junior.

Advertisement