Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

slave1 wrote: »
    US chap bought it few years back and it's now finished "improvements".
    GUI rate is €60, Open Wednesday is €35, Open Sat/Sun is €52

Reassuring that it's still affordable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

willabur wrote: »
    Just played 27 holes in carne

My God what a track. Really something special.
    Played the Kilmore 9 last and I was knackered, spent but jees there are some special holes there. The par 5 that wanders through two massive dunes is like nothing else I've played. Such great fun. Get yourselves over there when you get a chance

Yeah I think that was hole 5 on the old Kilmore, or 8 on the new Wild Atlantic Dunes. Was my favourite hole as well, so many ways you could play it.
    It was only 2 weeks ago and I am ITCHING to get back.
    They would love a Boards meeting there I’m sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭willabur

They would love a boards event there, they'd roll out the red carpet. One thing I'd say is that it is a long spin over. It would have to be a weekend affair. Plenty of golf there to make it worthwhile... Can I just add also that the chicken burger I had after 18 holes was ridiculously good. Proper buttermilk jobbie.... Maybe even better than the golf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

slave1 wrote: »
    Surely Carne for future Boards outing...

Bonkers travel distance for most people though :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Bonkers travel distance for most people though :(

Agreed, but the only way to play these courses is to jump in the car, they ain't gonna come to you!
    Even just to do one or two of them a year will get you well on your way after a year or so

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The place is not practical for a boards event. Unless it was a captains day.

It makes more sense to go up there with a smaller crew and play the 3 or 4 of the Mayo Sligo run in one batch.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm playing Carne in a few weeks. I'm guessing i should do the extra 9 holes as well? Have just booked the normal 18 at the moment, but it's probably a shame to go up there and not play the full 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Kiith wrote: »
    I'm playing Carne in a few weeks. I'm guessing i should do the extra 9 holes as well? Have just booked the normal 18 at the moment, but it's probably a shame to go up there and not play the full 27.

Yea you might as well seen as you are travelling a fair distance probably. the new nine are worth it in my opinion. They rough is a bit more wild and the greens aren't as good but still great holes.

You must play them, so much fun. You won't regret it
    Conditioning for me was as good as the Hackett 18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Giving 9m/s for my round Saturday in Baltray, don't expect to get near my hc if it goes ahead at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Yeah play all 27 if you can. It would be crazy to stop at 18. I would even suggest to play more than 27, I’m guessing you’re not coming from close by so why not make the most of it?

It’s a bit confusing because they swapped the ‘main 18’ recently, but if you play the now main 18 Wild Atlantic Dunes (which includes all the old Kilmore 9 holes) and then the back 9 of the old original Hackett course, then you’ve played all 27.

And I would agree with the poster above that the Kilmore greens aren’t quite up to the standard of the other ones, but they aren’t bad and this in no way reduced the enjoyment of these holes. They are some of the best holes on the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Yeah play all 27 if you can. It would be crazy to stop at 18. I would even suggest to play more than 27, I’m guessing you’re not coming from close by so why not make the most of it?

It’s a bit confusing because they swapped the ‘main 18’ recently, but if you play the now main 18 Wild Atlantic Dunes (which includes all the old Kilmore 9 holes) and then the back 9 of the old original Hackett course, then you’ve played all 27.

And I would agree with the poster above that the Kilmore greens aren’t quite up to the standard of the other ones, but they aren’t bad and this in no way reduced the enjoyment of these holes. They are some of the best holes on the property.

What sets the Kilmore 9 apart from the rest. Would the old 18 not have been the best land or most conducive to golf out there?

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    What sets the Kilmore 9 apart from the rest. Would the old 18 not have been the best land or most conducive to golf out there?

The Kilmore 9 is more in the dunes than any of the other 9 I would say. there isn't a flat hole on the 9, where as in both the old nines you have at least 1 or 2 that are just flat and not much to them.

If I was to pick a 9 for aesthetics It would be the Kilmore 9. My favourite one is probably the Hacket current 1-9.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

27 is probably enough, given I'm playing Enniscrone 3 times over the following 3 days :)

Gonna email them now and get the extra 9.

etxp wrote: »
    The Kilmore 9 is more in the dunes than any of the other 9 I would say. there isn't a flat hole on the 9, where as in both the old nines you have at least 1 or 2 that are just flat and not much to them.

If I was to pick a 9 for aesthetics It would be the Kilmore 9. My favourite one is probably the Hacket current 1-9.

Yeah I have played the Hackett 18 3 or 4 times but just never had the time to play the other 9 which is a regret of mine as I keep hearing how beautiful it is.

Social media open is on there today. Not sure I'd like to be braving those wild conditions presuming it still went ahead.

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Social media open is on there today. Not sure I'd like to be braving those wild conditions presuming it still went ahead.

if your shot type is high trajectory and high spin it would not the place to be. also would be physically tough to walk around in it.

Yeah I heard it was a tough walk alright but wouldn't mind that too much. Maybe after 18 previous holes you'd want a good dip in the sea afterwards.

They seem to change up the routings depending on what's going on that day.
    I played it 10-18, 1-9 (Hackett) then the Kilmore 9
    If you play the wild Atlantic dunes routing you get a mix of all three in 18. Not sure how the last 9 holes would work then? What do they call the last 9 holes? The orphaned 9? ����*♂️

willabur wrote: »
    They seem to change up the routings depending on what's going on that day.
    I played it 10-18, 1-9 (Hackett) then the Kilmore 9
    If you play the wild Atlantic dunes routing you get a mix of all three in 18. Not sure how the last 9 holes would work then? What do they call the last 9 holes? The orphaned 9? ����*♂️

There is the Wild Atlantic Dunes, which is 1-7 of the current Hackett 18, 5-4 of the Kilmore and 8,9 of the current Hackett 18

Hackett 18 then which is the old back nine first followed by the old front nine,

you can play either or, I think the management of how and when you play each course is something that needs to be worked on. Course Manager told me the last time I was there a 50 minute delay on one tee happened due to the 2 courses meeting at the 8th hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

Just for clarity (as they have changed the order of the Hackett 9’s), The Wild Atlantic Dunes course uses none of the old front nine. It is the old back nine mixed with the Kilmore nine.

To reduce a couple of awkward crossover walks, it runs old 10-16 (1 to 7), then you walk on to the 5th tee of the Kilmore (as the 8th) and play through 6,7,8,9 Kilmore before 1,2,3,4 Kilmore (8 to 16). You then play old 17 & 18 as the final two holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Just for clarity (as they have changed the order of the Hackett 9’s), The Wild Atlantic Dunes course uses none of the old front nine. It is the old back nine mixed with the Kilmore nine.

To reduce a couple of awkward crossover walks, it runs old 10-16 (1 to 7), then you walk on to the 5th tee of the Kilmore (as the 8th) and play through 6,7,8,9 Kilmore before 1,2,3,4 Kilmore (8 to 16). You then play old 17 & 18 as the final two holes.

What a course that is. I absolutely adore the place. Last time I was there I wanted to play the Kilmore but it wasn't in play so they let me play the back 9 of the Hackett twice. Heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Played Enniscrone off the Blue Tees yesterday (1st visit this year). Rubbish weather for the 1st 3 holes but then dried up. There was a good breeze blowing. It is a great test of ball-striking! I still think it is let down by 12th and 13th. 14th to 16th must be right up there with 3 of the best consecutive holes anywhere in the world.

Played Enniscrone off the Blue Tees yesterday (1st visit this year). Rubbish weather for the 1st 3 holes but then dried up. There was a good breeze blowing. It is a great test of ball-striking! I still think it is let down by 12th and 13th. 14th to 16th must be right up there with 3 of the best consecutive holes anywhere in the world.

I thought 12 and 13 are great holes what is it you think lets these holes down?

etxp wrote: »
    I thought 12 and 13 are great holes what is it you think lets these holes down?

I don't think they fit in with the rest: they are very different (but very similar to each other) and fall consecutively in the round. Having said that, I can see how some people would like them but they are just not my cup of tea. Of the 2, I dislike the 12th more! There is no visual cue as to where you are going for the teeshot and there is very little difference between hitting an OK but not perfect 2nd and a rubbish 2nd, both of which will be punished severely (either staying on the bank at back of green or short in the valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Playing Ballybunion on Thursday. Just hope no hurricane develops. Can’t wait though

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

Playing Ballybunion on Thursday. Just hope no hurricane develops. Can’t wait though

Don't want to disappoint you. But played there friday 2 weeks ago.
    Slowest greens I have ever putted on
    Very disappointing
    Rest of course is very good though

• Registered Users Posts: 34,068 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

golfguy1 wrote: »
    Don't want to disappoint you. But played there friday 2 weeks ago.
    Slowest greens I have ever putted on
    Very disappointing
    Rest of course is very good though

I played there about 6 weeks ago and ya agree though Greens were bit slower than expected. Just looking forward to playing bit of links again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭golfguy1

I played there about 6 weeks ago and ya agree though Greens were bit slower than expected. Just looking forward to playing bit of links again.

Know what u mean. I had ballyb and castlegregory 2 weeks ago
    And ballyb and tralee this week (weather permitting)
    Dooks next week
    Love links golf

Advertisement