Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

I've a 4ball commited and paid so hoping to get sorted.

Surely this is visitors only offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Why is it such a great offer? It’s still 100 quid a man!

Jim Stynes wrote: »

Nobody has to avail of it but some people might think it is good value. You get a competition and a burger after 9 holes and a chance to play one of the top courses in the country in most peoples opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

It’s 40% of its usual green fee.

How much % off would you to describe something as a great offer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

thewobbler wrote: »

Getting onto Portrush with a member for £20 is a great deal. Paying £100 for a golf course and thinking it’s a great deal because it’s usually £400 tells it’s own story about some of these places. It’s better value than normal but hardly a great deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭rooney30

Getting onto Portrush with a member for £20 is a great deal. Paying £100 for a golf course and thinking it’s a great deal because it’s usually £400 tells it’s own story about some of these places. It’s better value than normal but hardly a great deal.

Getting onto the course with a member for 20 quid can hardly be considered a deal in the true sense to be fair . Your essentially a member guest and using one of the perks of someone else’s membership . Usually the member will take the hit on the 20 quid in these cases
    Getting invited to play Augusta by some high roller member can hardly be considered a deal can it ? It’s just good fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

So, back form Donegal – it has been a long time ambition of mine to play golf in North Donegal – from late teens I would look at the photos of the courses , completely perplexed by the beauty and what seemed like, madness to build a course on the land so rippled and so remote.

I’m not particularly a golf historian and maybe someone can explain why these courses were built at all. There seems to be a link to seaside towns and a time of train journeys and a bygone age. How sad all them railways are gone, the journey must have been fairly epic. It was almost part of the challenge.

Landscape like that , is enjoyed more at a slow pace – for that, we have golf.
    Now with cars and modern roads and confused gps, maybe it is all a bit too easy. Covid has all these courses opening back up to the Irish only, the strange times we are in. But I do know from reading here – that Donegal and Sligo / Mayo , remained the true hidden and reasonable priced great golf of Ireland.
    The strange thing about the links courses in Donegal – some are fairly modern as Links courses go ?

I simply love Donegal, the people, the place, the sort of outsider feel to the place. There is an honesty, a lack of pretension, a mystery and a darkness.

I’ve a fairly substantial chip on my shoulder about some Irish golf – but what I loved about Donegal was that you feel, the people actually want you there. There are certain places in Ireland in (pre covid) summer, that lack any authentic Irish feel to them. You feel like you are in an American 5 star resort, almost a bit of cap tipping and tip searching. All a bit fake.

Anyway – back to golf, we played Portsallon, Rosapenna (Sandy Hills) and Ballyliffin (old).

Very different courses and feel to the 3 places, but I suppose, the common element, is that rugged and erratic, stunning Donegal backdrop . One moment you are looking at a perfectly clear cliff then it is covered in clouds or rain and a change in light and mood.

Portsallon is a wonderful little course. Hardly a hole the same – and the beach is stunning – the way it is used on the 2nd , is incredible. We were playing into a tough wind on the front 9. But for once the golf was a bit irrelevant (probably as mostly terrible), you were trying to work out the course and the views. It is certainly a course you need to play a few times. The course changes a little on the back nine as you head into a mountain face and this changes the feel of the course. But it still makes for very interesting golf holes and great elevated views. One slightly strange feature is the tunnel at 1 and 18 – and that is the first time I seen anything like that.

Day 2 we hit Rosapenna (sandy hills) – what a place. From the second you drive in, it feels special. Then the course. What an incredible golf course. I typically use Enniscrone as my reference (gold standard) in Irish golf. But within 5 or 6 holes you are thinking, how could you have so many great holes in a sequence. It becomes a game of, is there a bad hole on this course at all? finding one is almost a harder game than the course.

It is a tough walk and incredibly punishing – probably is too hard. But what a course. I will return some day. Almost had a hole in 1 – and had a great front 9. Some of only decent golf I played.

Day 3 we hit Ballyliffin The Old Links. I’ll admit I would prefer to be playing Glashedy – These journeys are big and you do not get in the areas too often, so I do like to play the championship courses. I know there are fantastic secondary courses. But it is a big enough challenge in this life to fit all the big ones in. Never mind the others. We were very lucky to play at all, as the rest of the country was a complete wash out. Another lovely course, but it is up against it when it is the 3rd course on such a run.

So another big part of the list ticked off. I’ll need to review where I am, not much to go Links wise. But there probably is more than I think.

I need to dream up another trip – or like this occasion, I need someone else to dream it up for me.

It is kind of hard to plan anything at present, but as has been said on this thread. Get the course in now when we can.

Yesterday towards the end, rain came in off the mountains. It is rare you see rain like that before it hits you , I hit a perfect drive and a 2 putt bird . For a few holes, there was no covid, or doubt or anxiety or fear.

It is the little things in life you miss. Golf at least remains a stunning distraction

I played in the same comp took me 3 days to get used to links.
    Played Ballyliffin first day which was a chasening experience, lovely course but rough was so penal if you missed fairway. 24pts learned towards end stop driving high!!!

Portsalon the second day, this is one of the most picturesque courses I have ever played. The 2nd stands out but so many great views over the beach and sea. Rough not quite as penal as other 2 courses. Really like the 18th had dinner there and great fun watching half the people either go in ditch before green or go over green as nearly impossible to stop ball. 31pts

Played Rosnapenna last day, weather was bad really strong cross winds. We took a buggy as forecast was shocking actually worked out great as would drive ahead to see where danger was etc. By this stage finally put away my 60 degree and every drive was about 10ft off the ground. Was putting from everywhere or bumping and running.
    I bet it was the 16th you nearly had a hole in one where ball rolls back down hill.
    Should have won this comp :( I had 34pts standing on 17th tee box when a huge squall hit with lashing rain could barely stand up. Par 5 3rd landed on green to get blown down hill about 30ft below pin. Had watched my partners on 9th hit lob wedges up hill to continuously roll down to their feet so bumped and ran it up over green!! Blank.
    On 18th lads stopped me hitting driver which had been my straightest club of day for me to whack my 5w into hay and blank that as well. 37pts won!!

Some of my mates could not cope with links golf at all continuously hitting it high only to see it blown in the deep sh*t. It really is a different game though played my own parkland the next day and couldn't chip to save my life.

Agree a beautiful part of the world, best beaches in the country with really friendly genuine locals. Down a similar trip end of month to Ardglass, Royal county down, cannot wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

To be honest - whilst they are on a journey to accepting they just have to offer a GUI rate, at least it is another step in the right direction.

Has been all a bit contrived so far, initial offer, then the 3 club offer now a 4 ball with a burger.

Whilst I'm positive about general direction. I've also a pain in my arse with the drip feed and convolutions of it all.

Portmarnock is down the road , the time sheet must be practically empty most days of the week. October is around the corner. We are still locked down as a country for tourism.

There are 25 + course I could ring up in the morning and play that day of a world standard Links. I could play on my own or a 2 ball, most of tomorrow on most of them, having to pay 400 euro in advance and round up 4 head case golfers off on a Tuesday with an equal passion for Links golf. It is all hard work and expensive at that (if you are the one paying up front).

So - I'll hold off and there is plenty of golf to be getting on with. For below 60 euro a go.

Best of luck to them anyway.

I suppose something aligned to the current market.

This % is only a function of what wealthy Americans will pay for the "prestige" to play Portmarnock.

I have never accepted that price in relation to the local market. Being a member of the GUI gives you access at a significantly reduced rate to what ? 98 % of the course in Ireland.

So a great offer is something aligned or less than the GUI rate in the European club or Baltray or The Island.
    So at €150 considering the relative quality of the course - it is still too expensive.

€100 is more like it - but as explained , a bit of a pain in the arse putting together a 4 ball for an aligned market price.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

27 holes in Carne tomorrow! Can't wait :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

I suppose something aligned to the current market.

This % is only a function of what wealthy Americans will pay for the "prestige" to play Portmarnock.

I have never accepted that price in relation to the local market. Being a member of the GUI gives you access at a significantly reduced rate to what ? 98 % of the course in Ireland.

So a great offer is something aligned or less than the GUI rate in the European club or Baltray or The Island.
    So at €150 considering the relative quality of the course - it is still too expensive.

€100 is more like it - but as explained , a bit of a pain in the arse putting together a 4 ball for an aligned market price.

Can you please explain why paying €25 or so to the GUI should give you significant discounts at any club?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Kiith wrote: »
    27 holes in Carne tomorrow! Can't wait :D

Enjoy bud, don't go long/left on the old 17th!!!!!!

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

booking system is ****. why let some1 else fill out details if space is already locked! have tried multiple times here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

booking system is ****. why let some1 else fill out details if space is already locked! have tried multiple times here.

Yah, system is an absolute shambles.

Gonna leave it and ring tomorrow. fs

20 mins in and only a few slots are booked but i can't get paying!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Portmarnock proving impossible to book. Everything locked. When one becomes free, after going through the booking process for 4 it says that someone else has the slot locked. Incredibly frustrating.

Anyone have any joy?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

This is heartbreaking

Indicative of the contempt PGC has for mere mortals. I mean, they had one job...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

I’d say we are wasting our time tonight. Either there is a **** up, or they’re probably held by the system for members times only for now and that we can see them is an anomaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Indicative of the contempt PGC has for mere mortals. I mean, they had one job...

It’s not them. It’s any system in which payment and full names, including GUI, are required.

Man goes in to book, has an oh **** moment, starts phoning his mates to make sure they’ll also pony up the wedge.

Man goes in to book, has an oh **** moment and starts phoning his mates to find out if they can get their hands on a GUI name and number.

Man goes in to book and sees afternoon tees are gone. So he has an oh **** moment and starts the process for a morning tee time, then starts phoning his mates.

If he doesn’t close his browser, that tee time is locked for 10-15 mins. It has to be locked that long as that‘s how long it takes to fill out these forms.

There is no easy way around this. 5-10 tyre kickers and 5-10 half serious men can kill the system.

It’s not them. It’s any system in which payment and full names, including GUI, are required.

Man goes in to book, has an oh **** moment, starts phoning his mates to make sure they’ll also pony up the wedge.

Man goes in to book, has an oh **** moment and starts phoning his mates to find out if they can get their hands on a GUI name and number.

Man goes in to book and sees afternoon tees are gone. So he has an oh **** moment and starts the process for a morning tee time, then starts phoning his mates.

If he doesn’t close his browser, that tee time is locked for 10-15 mins. It has to be locked that long as that‘s how long it takes to fill out these forms.

There is no easy way around this. 5-10 tyre kickers and 5-10 half serious men can kill the system.

If youre a regular brs user, that form takes a max of 60secs to fill out. Its them.
    They clearly underestimated the demand and made no provisions so that the system could cope. Pathetic.

Can you please explain why paying €25 or so to the GUI should give you significant discounts at any club?

Honestly Shivas - we have gone over this about 100 times at this stage.

25 euro does enable you to enjoy opens and GUI rates at 98% of clubs in the country .

There are a number of clubs that do not offer this - yet their members choose to enjoy the benefits in the other 98 % of clubs.

I would prefer myself , if these 2 % of clubs were excluded from the GUI or at least excluded from Opens or from a GUI rate in other clubs.

If we can even ignore the GUI factor for a second. If someone is offering you a welcome, an invitation , hospitality . It is just good manners , common decency
    to offer the same in return.

Was trying for 70 minutes no joy. Playing partner comes on and tries for 5 minutes and gets through....

Anyway.

They also got back on twitter. Worth giving a shot if you are still trying

Due to an extremely high demand on tee times the booking system is not coping. Please email info@portmarnockgolfclub.ie if you are experiencing issues and we will do our best to get you a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

BRS v poor for me. Got it in the end

RoadRunner wrote: »
    BRS v poor for me. Got it in the end

Sounds like trying to get tickets for a U2 gig - hope it is a great burger :D and doesn't rain on ye :D

back from football. expected to see a full timesheet booked up. still going.

absolute shambles. Have sent an email but not expecting much.

Decent thing to do would be to put a 3rd day on and hold slots for anybody who sent them an email within 15 minutes of their notice. We'll wait and see.

• Advertisement

Decent thing to do would be to put a 3rd day on and hold slots for anybody who sent them an email within 15 minutes of their notice. We'll wait and see.

or just put a normal open on every 2 weeks :p:D

Advertisement