Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Links Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

jams100 wrote: »
    Playing rosapenna scratch cup on Saturday (36 holes). Any tips, other than bring plenty of balls? :)

get a buggy !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

get a buggy !

Do not get a buggy, links golf is best experienced by walking and buggies are a hindrance on a golf course like Sandy Hills. Not to mention a pain in the hole for your playing partners

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭jams100

get a buggy !

Not allowed buggies anyway in a scratch cup as far as I'm aware, given you a competitive advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Not allowed buggies anyway in a scratch cup as far as I'm aware, given you a competitive advantage.

I would imagine that is the case unless a doctors cert is presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

So, back form Donegal – it has been a long time ambition of mine to play golf in North Donegal – from late teens I would look at the photos of the courses , completely perplexed by the beauty and what seemed like, madness to build a course on the land so rippled and so remote.

I’m not particularly a golf historian and maybe someone can explain why these courses were built at all. There seems to be a link to seaside towns and a time of train journeys and a bygone age. How sad all them railways are gone, the journey must have been fairly epic. It was almost part of the challenge.

Landscape like that , is enjoyed more at a slow pace – for that, we have golf.
    Now with cars and modern roads and confused gps, maybe it is all a bit too easy. Covid has all these courses opening back up to the Irish only, the strange times we are in. But I do know from reading here – that Donegal and Sligo / Mayo , remained the true hidden and reasonable priced great golf of Ireland.
    The strange thing about the links courses in Donegal – some are fairly modern as Links courses go ?

I simply love Donegal, the people, the place, the sort of outsider feel to the place. There is an honesty, a lack of pretension, a mystery and a darkness.

I’ve a fairly substantial chip on my shoulder about some Irish golf – but what I loved about Donegal was that you feel, the people actually want you there. There are certain places in Ireland in (pre covid) summer, that lack any authentic Irish feel to them. You feel like you are in an American 5 star resort, almost a bit of cap tipping and tip searching. All a bit fake.

Anyway – back to golf, we played Portsallon, Rosapenna (Sandy Hills) and Ballyliffin (old).

Very different courses and feel to the 3 places, but I suppose, the common element, is that rugged and erratic, stunning Donegal backdrop . One moment you are looking at a perfectly clear cliff then it is covered in clouds or rain and a change in light and mood.

Portsallon is a wonderful little course. Hardly a hole the same – and the beach is stunning – the way it is used on the 2nd , is incredible. We were playing into a tough wind on the front 9. But for once the golf was a bit irrelevant (probably as mostly terrible), you were trying to work out the course and the views. It is certainly a course you need to play a few times. The course changes a little on the back nine as you head into a mountain face and this changes the feel of the course. But it still makes for very interesting golf holes and great elevated views. One slightly strange feature is the tunnel at 1 and 18 – and that is the first time I seen anything like that.

Day 2 we hit Rosapenna (sandy hills) – what a place. From the second you drive in, it feels special. Then the course. What an incredible golf course. I typically use Enniscrone as my reference (gold standard) in Irish golf. But within 5 or 6 holes you are thinking, how could you have so many great holes in a sequence. It becomes a game of, is there a bad hole on this course at all? finding one is almost a harder game than the course.

It is a tough walk and incredibly punishing – probably is too hard. But what a course. I will return some day. Almost had a hole in 1 – and had a great front 9. Some of only decent golf I played.

Day 3 we hit Ballyliffin The Old Links. I’ll admit I would prefer to be playing Glashedy – These journeys are big and you do not get in the areas too often, so I do like to play the championship courses. I know there are fantastic secondary courses. But it is a big enough challenge in this life to fit all the big ones in. Never mind the others. We were very lucky to play at all, as the rest of the country was a complete wash out. Another lovely course, but it is up against it when it is the 3rd course on such a run.

So another big part of the list ticked off. I’ll need to review where I am, not much to go Links wise. But there probably is more than I think.

I need to dream up another trip – or like this occasion, I need someone else to dream it up for me.

It is kind of hard to plan anything at present, but as has been said on this thread. Get the course in now when we can.

Yesterday towards the end, rain came in off the mountains. It is rare you see rain like that before it hits you , I hit a perfect drive and a 2 putt bird . For a few holes, there was no covid, or doubt or anxiety or fear.

It is the little things in life you miss. Golf at least remains a stunning distraction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

So, back form Donegal – it has been a long time ambition of mine to play golf in North Donegal – from late teens I would look at the photos of the courses , completely perplexed by the beauty and what seemed like, madness to build a course on the land so rippled and so remote.

I’m not particularly a golf historian and maybe someone can explain why these courses were built at all. There seems to a link to seaside towns and a time of train journeys and a bygone age. How sad all them railways are gone, the journey must have been fairly epic. It was almost part of the challenge.

Landscape like that , is enjoyed more at a slow pace – for that, we have golf.
    Now with cars and modern roads and confused gps, maybe it is all a bit too easy. Covid has all these courses opening back up to the Irish only, the strange times we are in. But I do know from reading here – that Donegal and Sligo / Mayo , remained the true hidden and reasonable priced great golf of Ireland.
    The strange thing about the links courses in Donegal – some are fairly modern as Links courses go ?

I simply love Donegal, the people, the place, the sort of outsider feel to the place. There is an honesty, a lack of pretension, a mystery and a darkness.

I’ve a fairly substantial chip on my shoulder about some Irish golf – but what I loved about Donegal was that you feel, the people actually want you there. There are certain places in Ireland in (pre covid) summer, that lack any authentic Irish feel to them. You feel like you are in an American 5 star resort, almost a bit of cap tipping and tip searching. All a bit fake.

Anyway – back to golf, we played Portsallon, Rosapenna (Sandy Hills) and Ballyliffin (old).

Very different courses and feel to the 3 places, but I suppose, the common element, is that rugged and erratic, stunning Donegal backdrop . One moment you are looking at a perfectly clear cliff then it is covered in clouds or rain and a change in light and mood.

Portsallon is a wonderful little course. Hardly a hole the same – and the beach is stunning – the way it is used on the 2nd , is incredible. We were playing into a tough wind on the front 9. But for once the golf was a bit irrelevant (probably as mostly terrible), you were trying to work out the course and the views. It is certainly a course you need to play a few times. The course changes a little on the back nine as you head into a mountain face and this changes the feel of the course. But it still makes for very interesting golf holes and great elevated views. One slightly strange feature is the tunnel at 1 and 18 – and that is the first time I seen anything like that.

Day 2 we hit Rosapenna (sandy hills) – what a place. From the second you drive in, it feels special. Then the course. What an incredible golf course. I typically use Enniscrone as my reference (gold standard) in Irish golf. But within 5 or 6 holes you are thinking, how could you have so many great holes in a sequence. It becomes a game of, is there a bad hole on this course at all? finding one is almost a harder game than the course.

It is a tough walk and incredibly punishing – probably is too hard. But what a course. I will return some day. Almost had a hole in 1 – and had a great front 9. Some of only decent golf I played.

Day 3 we hit Ballyliffin The Old Links. I’ll admit I would prefer to be playing Glashedy – These journeys are big and you do not get in the areas too often, so I do like to play the championship courses. I know there are fantastic secondary courses. But it is a big enough challenge in this life to fit all the big ones in. Never mind the others. We were very lucky to play at all, as the rest of the country was a complete wash out. Another lovely course, but it is up against it when it is the 3rd course on such a run.

So another big part of the list ticked off. I’ll need to review where I am, not much to go Links wise. But there probably is more than I think.

I need to dream up another trip – or like this occasion, I need someone else to dream it up for me.

It is kind of hard to plan anything at present, but as has been said on this thread. Get the course in now when we can.

Yesterday towards the end, rain came in off the mountains. It is rare you see rain like that before it hits you , I hit a perfect drive and a 2 putt bird . For a few holes, there was no covid, or doubt or anxiety or fear.

It is the little things in life you miss. Golf at least remains a stunning distraction

You really set the scene for Donegal. I agree entirely with your sentiments about the difference in welcome in the North west i.e. Donegal, Mayo and Sligo in comparison to some of the more exalted company further down the coast. I was faced with a similar dilemma over whether to play Glashedy or Old and went with the old. I am familiar with Hackett courses - my own club is one as well. I think Glashedy is quite difficult with deep fairway pot bunkers whereas Old is more mown down and rough isn't as penal. I chose the one of the 2 where I thought I'd be less frustrated and more in play and where the trade off in terms of overall experience made sense.

Do not get a buggy, links golf is best experienced by walking and buggies are a hindrance on a golf course like Sandy Hills. Not to mention a pain in the hole for your playing partners

I wouldn't be doing 36 holes anywhere without one

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭rooney30

Some of the better links courses don’t allow them so you might be forced to do without

you probably don't enter many scratch cups then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

The northwest is probably the best place in the country for golf. You have the combo of top quality courses and value there that you don't have anywhere else.

I actually think the Midlands in summertime can be fantastic for golf as well. The courses aren't as good as those links ones, but the value and choice is incredible too. If you base yourself in athlone or the like, you'll have tullamore, esker hills, new forest, athlone, mullingar, Glasson, carlow and more I'm sure I've forgotten all within an hours drive, and in an open I suspect you wouldn't pay more than €25 for one. They're also more convenient to get to than Donegal.

That said, Donegal is worth the extra green fees and travel. It's a beautiful place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

I also played the last 2 courses.
    I forget which hole it is on Sandy hills on the fron nine but it has one of the best views in golf.
    You climb uphill on a par 4 and slowly the coast comes into view from ahead and to the right.
    Then on the brow of the hill you have an amazing view of the downhill approach to the green.

I think i counted 7 seperate beaches from that view.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

blue note wrote: »
    The northwest is probably the best place in the country for golf. You have the combo of top quality courses and value there that you don't have anywhere else.

I actually think the Midlands in summertime can be fantastic for golf as well. The courses aren't as good as those links ones, but the value and choice is incredible too. If you base yourself in athlone or the like, you'll have tullamore, esker hills, new forest, athlone, mullingar, Glasson, carlow and more I'm sure I've forgotten all within an hours drive, and in an open I suspect you wouldn't pay more than €25 for one. They're also more convenient to get to than Donegal.

That said, Donegal is worth the extra green fees and travel. It's a beautiful place.

Donegal has more link courses than any other county in Ireland, travel there a lot.
    Only downside is the potential weather, you can be right caught out up there versus lovely weather in other parts of the country

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭jams100

Played Rosapenna today. Very nice track but also very tight with some fairly juicy rough in spots. Shot 93 and 94!
    I generally didn't do too much wrong just racked up way too many trebles over the 36 holes, tiredness got the better of me towards the end. Alot of climbs if your doing the 36 in one day, personally I found sandy hills to be a lot better than the old course although both were nice. Thankfully the weather was relatively ok, i wouldn't fancy playing there with a 40km/h wind.

Overall I think its well worth playing and in my opinion quite a bit better than Ballyliffin which I also played last year (the Glasheedy course). Its probably the best links course I've played to date but in saying that I probably haven't played that many links courses yet

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

Portmarnock doing an open 4 person team event 29th September and 12th October. €100 per person with a burger after 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Playing Ballyliffin next Sunday!! Can’t wait. I’ll be leaving the Pro V1s in the bag and using the winter balls.

Playing Portrush Tuesday and Castlerock Wednesday, cannot wait! Warming up tomorrow at Lough Erne.

Anyone else playing portrush Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Played Rosapenna today. Very nice track but also very tight with some fairly juicy rough in spots. Shot 93 and 94!
    I generally didn't do too much wrong just racked up way too many trebles over the 36 holes, tiredness got the better of me towards the end. Alot of climbs if your doing the 36 in one day, personally I found sandy hills to be a lot better than the old course although both were nice. Thankfully the weather was relatively ok, i wouldn't fancy playing there with a 40km/h wind.

Overall I think its well worth playing and in my opinion quite a bit better than Ballyliffin which I also played last year (the Glasheedy course). Its probably the best links course I've played to date but in saying that I probably haven't played that many links courses yet

Played both too. started with 82 on old tom, NR on sandy hills after starting well. Lipped out for hole in 1, 17th sandy hills. 4 iron into the breeze 180 yards.

one of the guys leading after old tom took a 10 on sandy hills 1st! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭redhill

etxp wrote: »
    Playing Portrush Tuesday and Castlerock Wednesday, cannot wait! Warming up tomorrow at Lough Erne.

Anyone else playing portrush Tuesday?

Played it last week, you’re in for a treat, in amazing shape, only 20 quid with a member, unreal value

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

frink wrote: »
    Portmarnock doing an open 4 person team event 29th September and 12th October. €100 per person with a burger after 9.

Very tempted by this.

Would be a nice way to finish the season.

Always enjoy team events too where the inevitable 0.1 is off the cards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

frink wrote: »

Amy links for this please? Can't see it on their site. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭IAmTitleist

I saw it on their instagram.

Also got an email about it.

However the two have some contrasting information, one says booking opens at 2pm on 8 September. Another mentions 8pm on 8 September.

EDIT:

Just checked their website and BRS has it down as booking from 8pm tomorrow.

https://www.portmarnockgolfclub.ie/booking

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

They listened to me :p

Probably black balled anyway :D

etxp wrote: »
    you probably don't enter many scratch cups then?

Not anymore !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is it only the Front 9 twice?

hSPNla.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

callaway92 wrote: »
    Is it only the Front 9 twice?

hSPNla.jpg

The ad says championship course.

What makes you think front 9 twice?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Says "Front Nine" above the Date on that screenshot.
    I think it could mean you start off on the Front 9 of the main course, Portmarnock also have another 9 holes on site, not to be sniffed at either, some lovely holes there

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

slave1 wrote: »
    Says "Front Nine" above the Date on that screenshot.
    I think it could mean you start off on the Front 9 of the main course, Portmarnock also have another 9 holes on site, not to be sniffed at either, some lovely holes there

Cool, sounds good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

ANy Boardsies putting a team in??

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Played both too. started with 82 on old tom, NR on sandy hills after starting well. Lipped out for hole in 1, 17th sandy hills. 4 iron into the breeze 180 yards.

one of the guys leading after old tom took a 10 on sandy hills 1st! :(

Fine golf courses the both of them. Usually get to play both every year, but not this one.

Great spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Anyone booking Portmarnock later? Do you think it will book up quick? Could the members have 3/4 of this gone before it's open?

Great offer. Looking to get a spot

Advertisement